Author Topic: What is Mario called in Japan?  (Read 8100 times)

Offline slingshot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
What is Mario called in Japan?
« on: April 04, 2005, 05:02:22 AM »
Does Mario go by "Mario" in Japan; or is there a Japanese equivalent of that?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:What is Mario called in Japan?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 05:23:26 AM »
No, it's definitely Mario everywhere.  On a related note, Nintendo changed Princess Toadstool's name to Princess Peach back in Super Mario 64 to make the games match up more between the west and Japan...she was already called Peach in Japan.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
RE: What is Mario called in Japan?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 07:39:56 AM »
I like Toadstool better
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 01:30:41 PM »
In the original version of "Donkey Kong", Shigeru Miyamoto called the hero "Jumpman".

Nintendo of America renamed him "Mario" for America, since they thought that was more of a "New York construction worker" kind of name. Mario was also the name of the landlord of the person who suggested it.

Shiggy heard the name and liked it, so "Mario Bros" starred Mario (formerly known as Jumpman) and Luigi, who were both now plumbers. (I'm not sure if Mario was still known as Jumpman in Donkey Kong Junior.)

The Princess was called "Princess Peach" in Japan, and Bowser was just called "King Koopa" (the Koopas are those turtles). Both of these characters first appeared in "Super Mario Bros", of course.

NOA thought "King Koopa" was a little boring, so they renamed him "Bowser".

NOA was also worried that with Peach being a human and ruling over the "lower lifeform" fungus-based Mushroom People, they would get accusations of "apartheid" and "racial segregation" and crap like that (freaks and weirdos used to crawl out of the woodwork in America to try and attack Nintendo), so they renamed Peach to "Princess Toadstool" to suggest that she was also a mushroom. Not human, but one of the Mushroom People, albeit a very beautiful one (at least by human standards).

In Mario 64, the Princess invited Mario to her castle with a letter that she clearly signed "Peach". So rather than scribble that out and try to write something else, NOA met with Shiggy to ask what he wanted done, and they decided to merge the Japanese and American names.

Bowser is now "Bowser, King of the Koopas". With Bowser being his name, and King of the Koopas being his title.

The Princess is now "Princess Peach Toadstool". Peach is her first name, Toadstool is her last name.

BTW, Pauline (Mario's girlfriend from Donkey Kong), and Princess Daisy (the Princess of Sarasaraland in Super Mario Land on the GameBoy) are entirely different people.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 05:14:08 PM »
Mario's girlfriends always come with so much baggage!
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 05:23:17 PM »

freaks and weirdos used to crawl out of the woodwork in America to try and attack Nintendo

Later, this group of people grew into what is now known as IGN
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 05:42:42 PM »
Princess Daisy soo rulez.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 01:19:37 PM »
I call this girl at my school Peaches. it's a long story not suitable for these forums.[/irrelevance]
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.