Author Topic: No A/B buttons or D-pad? Mario 128 and Link to the past 2!  (Read 6343 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
No A/B buttons or D-pad? Mario 128 and Link to the past 2!
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »
I just heard some very good and troubling news.

First off, according to Famitsu Magazine, the Rev. will not have A/B buttons nor a D-pad....if anyone can confirm what exactly it says, please do. It also looks like it'll use BluRayDiscs.

First scan here

Secondly, Mario 128 is now a confirmed Rev. title, and will launch....at launch.

Second scan here

Thridly, a new Zelda is in the works and will be a direct sequel to the highly acclaimed SNES zelda game, "A Link to the Past." It is being called A Link to the Past 2, for now.....

Third scan here

Here is another scan that I can't read, but again, if anyone can....please translate! It looks like a launch title list....

Fourth scan here

I really don't know what to think. At first I'm excited that not only a new Mario will launch along side the Rev., but also a new Zelda, and a true sequel at that. Yet, I can't get the thought out of my mind....how the hell am I going to play those games? Removing the D-pad isn't the biggest of mistakes, but removing the buttons is ridiculous. Will there be any face buttons at all? Any trigger buttons?

Ugh...I think I'm going to puke.....
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:No A/B buttons or D-pad? Mario 128 and Link to the past 2!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 11:28:14 PM »
I have a hunch that Revolution may have some buttons named things other than a and b so that we don't have to juggle around the prospect of left A, left B and right A, right B.

Anyways the news about Zelda and Mario is good.  LttP is the best Zelda game of all time.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
RE: No A/B buttons or D-pad? Mario 128 and Link to the past 2!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 11:31:27 PM »
I forgot to mention that this may infact be an April fools joke (damn this month). The scans look legit...PGC if you have a subscription, check it out.

Does Famitsu pull April fools jokes? I thought that was a western thing...

EDIT: Yes, infact...it is an april fools joke...sorry for wasting your time.

Thank God really! No D-pad/buttons would of been ridiculous.

I hate this month!

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 11:34:22 PM »
Once again, Rev. will be backwards compatible.

Calm down. It's gonna be all right. Everything's gonna be fine.

Have a cookie.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 11:41:21 PM »
No D-Pad is no loss. It's time to move on. People cried when iMacs were the first computers to not have floppy drives. Someone had to dump old technology.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 11:58:49 PM »
The dpad and a/b button rumor has been circulating for a while, and I keep seeing the "touching is good, but feeling is better" rumor popping EVERYWHERE.  The latest rumor though about the touch screen is the one I hope is false.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 01:15:47 AM »
I hope the Revolution has 4 buttons or less. Anything more is just too confusing. 5 would be alright too, but no more.

Actually I don't want it to have any buttons. I want another new way of playing.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 04:06:53 AM »
I hope the Revolution is a rubber ball floating in a bowl of water.  Video game consoles are too complicated nowdays.
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline slingshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 04:53:30 AM »
NOW THAT's FUNNY!  H/AH!  -But seriously- I can't imagine a couple of fully designed posters printed and in mags advertising
something that Nintendo has not yet declared itself.  

If Nintendo hasn't said it, do believe it.

It is a pretty cool strategy though- I mean for 1-2 years before releasing the Rev, Nintendo employees can read through
all the forums they want to get ideas on what to do with the rev, AND WHAT NOT TO DO!  It is the perfect test market
and hastel-free survay.  They put out a leek about something that they are thinking about doing, and read the reactions,
if it is positive, they implement it, negative, they dump it.  (That is, until they get too far along)  But it is a great way to
get started, or to decide between two different paths on which to venture.  If anything, I'm sure that by reading the
reaction of the entire  gaming market on every single forum board, a total touchscreen interface for the controller is
absolutely out the window, falling nine stories down, and then splattering all over the concrete.  

"Hey!  You'a guys a-crushed my'a hottadogga stand!"

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 05:18:59 AM »
i dont think it ever was an option for them: touchscren technology is WAY too limited at this point in time. NIntendo wouldnt release a console that doesnt allow you to press a combination of buttons; they know better than that.
I'll shut up now...

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 07:31:55 AM »
Might it be possible that Nintendo somehow invented a multiple input point touchscreen?
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 07:48:36 AM »
You know the wacky GameCube button layout that everyone loves to complain about was designed that way so players wouldn't have to look at the controller.  I can't imagine that they would think a touch screen on a console would be easier for players to use or familiar to developers designing for it -- two points Nintendo has consistently made about the system.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 08:15:56 AM »
Blooodworth makes a good point.  Even better though, is that Nintendo has stated that there will not be a touchscreen.  Get over it.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 08:27:52 AM »
I think I'm just gonna ignore all the controller speculation til E3.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 11:02:21 AM »
i just hope that the layout doesnt degrade..preferably..i liked six buttons on n64....oer the 4 buttons and a c stick
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 02:45:56 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
You know the wacky GameCube button layout that everyone loves to complain about was designed that way so players wouldn't have to look at the controller.  I can't imagine that they would think a touch screen on a console would be easier for players to use or familiar to developers designing for it -- two points Nintendo has consistently made about the system.

I agree, but why does the media keep confirming these rumors.

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 03:02:24 PM »
I'm guessing the media is doing what its doing becuase there is so little Rev info that they'll print whatever they can get wind of.  I don't know if I've read any confermations though, all I remember is people saying that a source in some developer blah blah blah.  That could all be taken with a grain of salt.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 06:04:26 PM »

Chances are they're just taking Game Informer's word for it and reprinting the information so they don't look like they've missed the "news".
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2005, 06:15:58 PM »
LttP 2 would have been sweet. ::sigh::
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2005, 06:58:38 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2005, 07:10:06 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Blooodworth makes a good point.  Even better though, is that Nintendo has stated that there will not be a touchscreen.  Get over it.
I agree. I really don't know why people are still discussing it when Iwata explicitly said "no touchscreen"
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 08:50:50 AM »
How is it possible for the Revolution to be backwards compatible and the controller not have everything that the GameCube did?
The only feesible thing i can come up with is that the Rev has a built-in WaveBird selector for up to 4ports. Backwards compatible, doesn't that mean the only thing you need to play the old games out the box is the "old games"? Has there ever been a system where you had to add on something to make it play the last generations games?
Maybe I am misinformed about something. Yes/No?  
Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 09:33:41 AM »
No your not.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 09:47:36 AM »
"Has there ever been a system where you had to add on something to make it play the last generations games?"

Early on the Genesis had an adapter that allowed you to play Master System games.  I remember seeing it in the Sears Christmas catalog.  Golden Axe was the pack-in so this would have been around 1989.  I also remember when the SNES first launched Sega ran an ad that compared the size of the then small SNES lineup to the many Genesis and Master System games so they must have still been selling the adapter then for that commercial to make any sense.  I've never seen one before though and I never heard anything about it again after that commercial.

I find it funny that A Link to the Past 2 was mentioned in this "article".  The second I read that tidbit I knew this was junk because only fans would ever come up with something so idiotic.  "A Link to the Past" is just a name.  No Zelda game would be somehow better if it was called LttP 2.  Would Minish Cap be a better game if it was called LttP 2?  It's like when people talk about Super Mario Bros 4.  Super Mario Bros 4 is Super Mario World.  A name makes no difference.