Author Topic: Iwata: Revolution Backwards Compatable and Wi-fi out of Box  (Read 21119 times)

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata: Revolution Backwards Compatable and Wi-fi out of Box
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2005, 11:44:41 AM »
I think Nintendo does have the best R&D teams, and I also think they have found something better. Does it have anything to do with cameras? I doubt it, but it's anyone's geuss.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
RE:Iwata: Revolution Backwards Compatable and Wi-fi out of Box
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2005, 07:29:57 AM »
Bump for this thread to mention something I found regarding a small discussion we had earlier in it:

Reggie quote: ""The old model of a person tethered to a game control tethered to a device tethered to a TV is over."

This I found this today: NEC’s Palm-Sized HDTV Transceiver

NEC made a device that can transmit an HD video signal wirelessly. Interesting.

Not that this is solid evidence to Reggie's quote. But it was an interesting find, since NEC was a GameCube partner. At least the technology is feasible, if nothing else.

Discuss. Or not.  
"wow."

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2005, 07:56:14 AM »
That is interesting...

At first I didn't think it feasible without degrading the quality, but if they can transfer HDTV signals, there's no problem for RCA or even DVI signal transfers. Sounds to good to be true.

I don't really see the reason of making it all wireless. If this is true, then it's going to sit right next to my couch, but that would be the only reason I have it wireless. Am I missing something critical, that only  a wireless console could provide?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2005, 08:57:12 AM »
Well it definitely helps if you don't have wireless controllers...Plus, there's no hassle with cords if you are constantly moving your system around...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2005, 10:25:07 AM »
And you can switch games without getting up from the couch.

Finally, the last obstacle to laziness obliterated.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2005, 12:56:42 AM »
If it's not strictly directional in theory it could also enable multiple TVs to display the same picture, if you have multiple receivers?  This thing must suck enough power to still need a power cable though.

All we'd need next is a system with a disc magazine that stores about 20 games. Then TRULY we have become lazy.

Seems a bit excessive, even for a system that's a year and a half away. But it was an interesting find.
"wow."

« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2005, 01:05:32 AM »
If this does turn out to be related to the REV then imagine the posibilities. Multiplayer games could benefit from this. Besides being able to play online, LAN gaming could become that much easier. Imagine if this NEC product is able to send the signal to mutliple recievers as bigjim stated. You can in a way, have someone play on the TV, someone on a monitor, another on thier DS and so on.  It'll be great if the signal for each players screen could then be sent to thier monitor of choice. Also, using the DS in conjunction with the REV would allow for easier browsing when online as a result of using the touch screen.
"It seems that a great number of individuals crave technology that gives an individual a false sense of intimacy. Producing just enough communication to get the job done while stripping out the intangibilities. If you had the chance, would you demand convenience give your humanity back? Or would you

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2005, 08:35:27 AM »
Multiple vide outputs require multiple video recievers too...

So for every TV, you'd have to by another attachment for that TV.

I like the fact that it's wireless, but it really doesn't have that strong of a point for being wireless.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2005, 11:06:33 AM »
What if the controller could act as a receiver? (Weren't you the one who said the controller's ability to plug into a tv could be used for multi-tv gaming?)

Imagine. You have 4 players. You say, 'okay, you go to the TV in the bedroom, you go to the TV in the dining room, you go to the TV in the living room, I'll go to the TV in the basement.' You give each player a Revolution controller. They each plug their controller into their TV (like the patent on the 'let's talk controller' thread suggests).

You take your Revolution and your controller out, plug your revolution into a power outlet, and turn the Revolution on (no need to plug your controller in anywhere, your TV already has a REV receiver). You select 'LAN game' from the in-game menu. Nothing else to plug in, nothing else to configure. In the level-select screen, you see 3 other hand-cursors moving around. You all select a level, and the game starts, in glorious full screen.

Gaming heaven.  
β€œ...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2005, 01:23:02 PM »
Wow....with that little speech, you made me a believer.

I didn't think of adding the controller tech to the rev tech....way to think outside the box, my friend!

And to opinionate all over you comment hehe. That would be sooo super sweet. If it worked without a hitch, I could see that being a selling point. I've always wanted to play split-screen games on a tv of my own, but never wanted to carry my stuff, hook it up, and set it up with a router and everything, just for a round or two. That would eliminate that problem. It's possibilities could go even further. Imagine bringing over your controllers, so the other 4 friends of yours can play....all from one system! That would indeed be gaming heaven.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2005, 10:48:44 PM »
That would be hard to do. You'd need the entire Rev mainboard inside those controllers so you can compute the images to draw. Streaming them over WiFi is nigh impossible considering the amount of data required.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2005, 11:06:36 PM »
im not sure if anybody already said this...but what if for every tv signal hub it could connect so many different controller devices....you wouldnt have to lan more then one rev..you just have one rev calculating the processing for each room hard to explain
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2005, 06:56:46 AM »
Yeah but do you think streaming n*60 1280x720 (assuming HDTV) images per second is possible with Wifi?

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2005, 08:49:42 AM »
The idea was that the controllers would contain something like the transceiver mentioned in the above link to receive the video signal.
"wow."

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2005, 08:51:53 AM »
That's what we were just talking about though, the NEC product. (link)
Granted, it's all really far fetched. The REV would have to be able to a) transmit high-quality video wirelessly across great distances b) have the power to transmit video to multiple sources AND c) the REV's advanced new controller would have to be able to transmit wirelessly to the REV right out of the box.

Personally, I'd be happy with just wireless, painless, set-up free LAN, even if you needed multiple revolutions and needed to plug controllers into consoles and consoles into TVs.

But this is much cooler.

edit: BigJim beat me to it.
β€œ...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2005, 11:19:06 AM »
The Perms idea could work....

As KDR explained, it would need a higher and faster bandwidth. However, if the NEC product doesn't use WiFi, and maybe something faster like RF or something...then maybe, just maybe it could be possible.