Author Topic: Sales Figures  (Read 17033 times)

Offline codyy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Sales Figures
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:48 AM »
One thing we must all remember is that the if the PSP does do well in Japan (even though the DS outsold it) that's just in Japan. How much of a lead will Nintendo have here in the states when the PSP saunters in? 1 million? 2.5 million? DS will have a major advantage over the PSP. This is kinda playing out like the launch of the PS2, which had a year advantage, only this time the tables have turned. Even though most of DS's launch games are relatively weak (check out EGM, which gave Ping Pals a 0.0, 1.5, 0.0), they're bound to have better one's out by March. Hopefully.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token..."
--Edgar Allen Poe, The Raven, 1845.

To liberals everywhere: HA!

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
RE: Sales Figures
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 11:22:43 AM »
DS's japanese launch was a million times better than the state's.  In march the DS get's some heavy hitting titles and by then PSP's launch titles will already have their console counterparts out and selling well.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 11:34:07 AM »
I still expect PSP to do very well in all territories, and possibly better in North America than Japan, because I think coolness, graphics, and mature content all mean more here than they do in Japan - or at least they're things that are attributed more to Sony than Nintendo here than in Japan.  Nevertheless, Nintendo is building up a nice head-start.  That means third-party developers won't be able to ignore the DS, and THAT is a major key to success.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2004, 12:03:05 PM »
I agree with what couchmonkey said, but I expected it to sell well in Japan too, where all things Sony are worshipped.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Caustic Saint

• View Profile
RE:DS vs PSP - Sales Figures
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2004, 03:51:13 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
d00med.

Oh, come on. If you're going to link to those sales figures, at least post a link to the ones with the actual dates, like at The Magic Box.

DS sales in 7 days (06 - 12 Dec) - 198,892
PSP sales in 1 day (12 Dec) - 160,019

Are you surprised that the DS sold more in a week than the PSP did in one day? And there's also the fact that the PSP sales are just the direct, over the counter number, and don't include pre-sales.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2004, 06:17:09 AM »

well....i dont know, i've heard otherwise...like, oh, i dont know, nintendo selling 2 million-ish units worldwide

in other words, sony's gettin creamed if not because the ds is "better" but perhaps primarily on availability.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Caustic Saint

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »
Chongman, take a closer look at the figures I posted. Those are the sales figures for one week only, and only in Japan.

As for worldwide since both launches, of course Sony is selling fewer units. Why? They've put fewer units into the marketplace and have only launched in one country.

Now...can Sony catch up? I kinda doubt it.

Worldwide, the DS has outsold the PSP nearly 10 to 1. Nintendo has two plants making DSes and is having no trouble meeting demand (in Japan anyways, I know they're still hard to get in the US). Sony, on the other hand, said they can only make 300,000 PSPs a month - which is a lot fewer than they could sell.

Nobody's ever knocked Nintendo from the top stop in the portable market, and I don't think Sony's going to do it either. But I do believe there is room for two handhelds to succeed. If there can be three home consoles doing well at the same time, why not two portables?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2004, 11:52:22 AM »
Actually.  Guys.  Sony isn't in that bad of shape.  In the US Sony could easily catch up.  It won't take too long for Sony to advertise and get the information out about the PSP.  

However, it is going to be an uphill battle.  Sony really made a mistake, by not spending money and having advertising for the PSP before the DS came out.  I would have done everything I could to let the American public know that there is an alternative.  Since they didn't Nintendo is going to have until March to sell DS without any competition.  And if Nintendo is smart to release a killer app or 2 before the PSP is launched then the choice to get a DS and one killer game for the Price of the PSP will be huge.  Or in reality getting a DS and 2-3 games for the price of a PSP, one game and a memory card.  

Also don't try to play any network games with the PSP, IGNPSP reported 2 hour 45 min battery power when playing against another player...and that was a game that didn't have heavy UMD consumption.  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
RE: DS vs PSP - Sales Figures
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2004, 04:29:54 PM »
Here's my attempt at a comprehensive list of the PSP vs DS (Japanese) sales figures.

The DS launched on Thursday, December 2.
Nintendo originally planned to ship 300,000 units for the launch, but they managed to increase it to 500,000 units for launch day. According to Media Create, Nintendo sold-through 230,000 units on day one. A 46% sell-through rate.

Media Create's one-week numbers (which measure from Monday to Sunday) for the period of Nov 29 to Dec 5 were...

Top Ten Software:
1 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII: Sora to Umi to Daichi to Norowareshi Himigime Square Enix 476,281 - 2,643,353
2 DS Super Mario 64 DS Nintendo 151,373 new
3 DS Sawaru Made in Wario Nintendo 148,825 new
4 DS Pokemon Dash Pokemon 56,337 new
5 DS Daigasso! Band Brothers Nintendo 33,911 new

6 GBA Power Pro Kun Pocket 7 Konami 30,410 new
7 GC Mario Party 6 Nintendo 29,959 178,352
8 DS Kime no Tame Nara Kimi Shineru (Feel the Magic) Sega 27,250 new
9 DS Chokkan Hitofude (One Line Puzzle) Nintendo 25,415 new

10 GC NARUTO: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3 Tomy 22,799 - 183,834

Hardware:
1 Nintendo DS 468,883 new 468,883
2 PlayStation 2 93,829 - 108,148 - 2,292,239
3 GameBoy Advance SP 27,313 - 31,198 - 2,211,510
4 Gamecube 5,465 - 6,107 - 533,178
5 Gameboy Advance 822 785 - 191,981
6 Xbox 621 - 669 - 35,495
7 Swan Crystal 44 - 38 - 7,274
8 PSone 40 - 30 - 13,864

So over the "launch weekend", Nintendo's sell-through rate increased to 93.7%

The PSP launched on Sunday, December 12.

According to various sources, Sony shipped about 200,000 units, and sold-through somewhere from 166,000 to 172,000 units on launch day. A sell-through rate of 83-86% Nintendo shipped an additional 200,000 DS units for week two, bringing their "total shipped" up to 700,000.

Media Create's one-week numbers from Dec 6 to Dec 12 were...

Top Ten Games:
1 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII - 203,618
2 PS2 Daito Giken Koushiki Pachi-Slot Simulator Yoshimune - 188,927
3 PS2 Mobile Suit Gundam vs Z Gundam - 183,583
4 PSP Minna no GOLF Portable - 65,900
5 GBA RockMan EXE 5 Team of Blues - 64,860
6 PSP Ridge Racers - 60,624
7 DS Sawaru Made in Wario - 58,083
8 DS Super Mario 64 DS - 54,829

9 PS2 FIFA Total Football 2 - 53,617
10 GC Mario Party 6 - 39,231

Hardware:
1 DS: 198,892 - 468,883
2 PSP: 160,019 - N/A

3 PS2: 98,323 - 93,829
4 GBASP: 48,912 - 27,313
5 GC: 25,359 - 5,465
6 GBA: 897 - 822
7 Xbox :385 - 621
8 SC: 44 - 44
9 PSone: 35 - 40

Media Create offered an even lower estimate of the PSP's launch day/week sales, which suggest an 80% sell-through rate. The DS's second-week sales could be said to have had a 99% sell through rate on their 200,000 shipped, but it's more accurately said that their combined sell-through rate was updated to 95% of 700,000 total shipped.

Supposedly Sony plans to ship another 100,000 units per week in Japan for the next three weeks, which would take us through the rest of the calendar year.

Now we wait for the next set of numbers.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2004, 05:50:42 PM »
Last weeks sales are in, from Enterbrain 13 - 19th December

NDS - 220,000
PS2 - 124,000
GBA - 88,000
PSP - 81,000
GCN - 54,000

Interesting...

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2004, 06:04:26 PM »

the GBA schooled the PSP.

Haha, nice find, Mario.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Caustic Saint

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2004, 09:38:20 PM »
"d00med"? "schooled"?

You know, I had been thinking the PGC was the last place on the net to have intelligent discussions about games and gaming.

You have shown me there are no such places.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2004, 10:03:17 PM »

Originally posted by: Caustic Saint
"d00med"? "schooled"?

You know, I had been thinking the PGC was the last place on the net to have intelligent discussions about games and gaming.

I think you are taking this a little too far... If it makes you feel better, the PSP did outsell the Gamecube, and we aren't sure how many PSPs there were to still go around.  However, I don't see why one has to take offense when someone on a Gamecube forum "roots for the home team".

Also, in regards to the numbers, are the GBA figures for the SP and the regular system?  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2004, 10:03:36 PM »
Nah. You can always have good discussions (well, not on some forums). It's just that there will sometimes be people hooting and hollering in the background.

Just tune them out when you think they're being weird. Then one day you'll have a good conversation with one or two of them, and it'll have been worth putting up with them, as opposed to visiting an empty forum.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2004, 03:56:44 AM »
The Big question for DS verse PSP will not come from Japanese sales...but will come from the world sales.

Will the American public still be into the DS when the PSP is launched or will they jump ship?  Actually the worst scenario would be that they buy a PSP and keep the DS, however only get games for the PSP.  I see this as very likely, and will hurt Nintendo because 3rd party developers will feel they can't make a profit from the DS.  

one million units in the United States and in Japan are chump change right now.  Nintendo may have a lead, but it better work hard to keep it, and it is still all in the hands of the public how they will receive both systems once they are competing on a world market.

That being said I am really excited about the DS future lineup.

One Line Puzzler
Wario Ware Touched
Super Mario Kart DS
and
Metroid: Hunters

all these games sound really exciting to me.

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2004, 04:08:59 AM »
Haha...caustic....hahahahahaa....

Schooled...is a word, aight?

And d00med is kind of...meh.

You can have disucssions here.

Just not with..."certain people."

4 8 15 16 23 42

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2004, 04:15:59 AM »
Freaking double post.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2004, 05:51:03 AM »

"d00med"? "schooled"?

Does this mean you'll leave now?  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2004, 11:53:15 AM »
Enough ladies.

I think Nintendo DS will continue to outsell the PSP when it's release in the US, however I think PSP will destroy the NDS in Europe and Australia, simple because the DS is a Nintendo product and the PSP is a Sony product.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2004, 03:30:52 PM »
Really, Mario? I thought that the DS would be a sure bet in Europe rather then the PSP. How well does the PS2 do in Europe, I never really hear too much about it in the Europe market.

--NFAN

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2004, 03:54:27 PM »
Europe is Sony territory, they have a bigger percentage of the PAL market than any other market, especially in the UK and Australia. GC only has about 3% market share in the UK and Australia, and even GBA only has about 8%. PSP and DS are releasing at the same time in PAL territories too so it's going to be tough. I can already guarantee the PSP will be advertised much more than the DS too, because Nintendo Europe and Nintendo Australia suck at marketing.

I'm not sure about other countries in Europe though, sales data from countries like France and Germany is rare, but Nintendo seem to be doing ok there.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2004, 04:03:51 PM »
Look's like it will be pretty tough for Nintendo then. Thanks for the info, though.

--NFAN

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2004, 03:01:39 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
"Metal Gear Acid flopped, it sold 12,000 copies on day 1."

You're kidding. I certainly wasn't expecting that.

Yep.  24,000 in three days.

Flop.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2004, 05:03:23 PM »
I'm wondering, is there even a market for the PSP? The DS is seriously a good system. Having played it I'm sold on it. It is not a Virtual Boy, and it isn't an N64. The GBA fact alone ensures it won't follow the N64's fate. It WILL sell to kids. It's also ridiculously fun playing with a stylus, and all I have is Mario DS which is ported and made quickly. It's also a very pretty system. I don't get the criticism by the gaming sites, it's a comfortable and (VERY) light system. I have no trouble playing it, none at all.

Now, the PSP. Looking at the games, it's not going to appeal to parents. Plain and simple. Also, the DS 'has two screens!'. It's odd because the PSP is sort of the spiritual successor to the GBA, but I think it's in trouble. The GB has NEVER sold to adults, not even back when the NES and SNES were the standard and 'ki-ddy' had yet to be coined. Are these people really interesting in the PSP? Nope. The reaosn the PS2 (and now XBOX) sell well are because they appeal to casual gamers. Nintendo probably has a core fanbase larger than either Sony or Microsoft. My brother just got an XBOX, first system he's had since his old SNES he had six or seven years ago. He also has an iPod. He will NEVER buy a PSP. Why? He doesn't play games everywhere. He is a busy guy and when he plays games he wants it to be at home where he can relax and just forget life. He can't do that on a plane going to a business trip. He's married, owns a car, doesn't ride the subway.

Is this adult handheld market even there?  

(btw, these edits that change words like k-iddy and MS with a dollar sign to insults to the poster are childish and not what I'd expect from PGC)

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2004, 02:23:12 AM »
Well you can play portable games at home.  I do, actually I almost exclusively play my GBA and DS at home, and if I get a PSP, with it's issues I will probably never take it out of my room.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?