Author Topic: LOZ: 2005  (Read 568168 times)

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: LOZ: 2005
« Reply #600 on: March 11, 2005, 03:19:48 AM »
thats why  I said it looks better in the trailer, just pointing out where those evil eyes are, it looks a lot like the moon if you ask me ( or maybe Ive watch the trailer so many times that Im losing common sense )
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:LOZ: 2005
« Reply #601 on: March 11, 2005, 03:38:16 AM »
Perhaps you've forgotten what Majora's moon looked like?

All you are seeing on the moon in the trailer is just random craters
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 11, 2005, 06:09:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
That looks NOTHING like the Majora's Mask moon...

(And I'm sick and tired of hearing people saying this looks like LotR, because it DOESN'T)

Sing, it, brother!  Just because Lord of the Rings is the only fantasy movie anyone has seen doesn't mean it inspired the game.  Jeez.  Though I will agree somewhat with the comment someone said about Lord of the Rings inspiring the fantasy genre as a whole.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Don'tHate742

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 11, 2005, 06:37:59 AM »
The soundtrack fit nicely with the game. I especially like that eary (sp) flute melody during the scene with the full moon. As Bill said, I wonder what the wolf has to do with all of this. Whenever I heard a wolf howl during OOT, it was just a sign that I was going to be attacked by a bunch of undead dog looking things. My best guess is that it has nothing to do with the game. I call that my best guess becuase there isn't any evidence regarding it's tie-in with the story.

So what can we speculate from the trailer regarding the story? If it truely is the continuation of WW, then I don't know what to think. WW was all water and little islands....in this clip, we see all land and barely any water. If the water had dried up, It wouldn't make sense to see thick forests since forests take more than ten years to grow. My guess is this Zelda revovles around Link travelling to a far land or something, not unlike MM.

Graphics? They are spectacular....I especially like the scene where Link is fighting the two Stalfos. If you notice in the background, you can see the light break through the trees and highlight spots on the ground. I was a bit skeptical when looking at the lighting during that tree-giant scene, but now I know that it's used throughout the game. The scene where he picks up the cat also proves this. One complaint I had was that the Lost Woods in OOT, weren't woods at all. This Zelda seems to be a step in the right direction regarding thick woods and such.

Battle Engine? Well it looks like Link has tougher competition. When looking at the scene of him fighting the two Lizardos, they look relentless. Always advancing, and never waiting. Personally I like it. WW was to much of a "hit b a bunch of times, then hit A once in a while." Nothing against it, I enjoyed the fighting alot, especially with other's weapons. This Zelda though, to me it seems to more tactical. It might not be, but looking at this trailers proves that battle is a bigger part of the game. I like how he can use his shield to hit enemies while guarding at the same time. I also think the horse-back riding battle engine doesn't include a lock-on. To me it seems as if Link aims carefully, during the scene with the dragon like creatures flying over head, before firing his arrow. This is great becuase I enjoyed using my skills to bring down bats and such in OOT.

I don't know....your thoughts?  
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #604 on: March 11, 2005, 10:46:01 AM »
let's see... Link finds Doshin the Giant in the forest zone.  Link picks up cats in the forest zone...

A-HA IT'S ALL CLEAR TO ME NOW!

Link retrieves cats and delivers them to Doshin cuz Doshin was HUNGRY!!  PIECE OF HEART GET!!  SCOOOORE!!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 11, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
Maybe the cats are the Giant's pets, you know like KoKo's cat.

Offline Rellik

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 11, 2005, 11:20:41 AM »
There are also dogs following Link around in one of the screenshots I've seen - seems to me like they're just an evolved form of the same concept behind the pigs in WW.

I see what you mean about the moon, from that screenshot.  I'm going to say it's 50/50 that they're significant, rather than just random.  They certainly don't look unintentional, but I wouldn't say it's out of the question.

I hope there won't be an ocean of land in this new one like there was the ocean in WW.  The ocean was fun... as a concept for a single LoZ game, same as MM was fun for a single LoZ game.  I like the idea of some substantial riding/exploring, but I wouldn't want the kind of massive overworld WW had, where the world was made of little pieces that are connected by vast stretches of boring.  OoT's overworld I'd say had the right proportion of size to content: add more significant towns/dungeons/areas accessible from the overworld, then the overworld should be of a size to accomodate it.

As for the battle system, I guess I'll be the first in this thread to say that the horse-back battles look fairly lackluster, at least visually.  The way the steeds collide is not terribly convincing, and the lack of detail on the plain they are generally riding over is somewhat suspicious.  Big flashes of red light don't really improve the situation.  The enemies themselves don't seem to take much interest in Link besides crowding around him and punctiliously swiping at him.  I'm sure it will be fun, though.

I don't really have any doubts that it will be a beautiful game visually, have amazing music (maybe they can find a better soundset this time - GC must be able to hold larger samples?), and will be a blast to play.  My only concerns are about everything else.

Someone else commented that they like how a Zelda game is one that really doesn't take itself too seriously.  While I agree to an extent, I think that Zelda can be extremely serious about itself at times, to great effect, because at other times it can be a great, relaxed and humorous experience.  That's the beauty of it - Ocarina of Time captures the perfect balance of adventure, relaxation, humor, and "epicness" that a huge faction has craved ever since its release, and has only been equaled/paralleled in that time by games like Skies of Arcadia and... uh, Skies of Arcadia is my only example of a game that can equal OoT in vibe, but I've heard good things about plenty of PS2 games.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #607 on: March 11, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »

Originally posted by: Rellik
As for the battle system, I guess I'll be the first in this thread to say that the horse-back battles look fairly lackluster, at least visually.  The way the steeds collide is not terribly convincing, and the lack of detail on the plain they are generally riding over is somewhat suspicious.  Big flashes of red light don't really improve the situation.  The enemies themselves don't seem to take much interest in Link besides crowding around him and punctiliously swiping at him.  I'm sure it will be fun, though.

Why riders would want to collide with other riders/animals, I don't know.  Unless you meant in a 3D object in a virtual environment sense.  Plains are probably dedicated to the riding aspect, to allow for lots of travelling space and larger bunches of enemies on-the-go, and not on-foot adventuring.  On the flipside, the on-foot stuff we'e seen is generally crowded with architecture and not suitable for riding.  In this new trailer, they didn't even show Link swiping at other riders, unlike the last trailer.  But each of the little Bokoblin guys did make an effort to fire arrows at Horse Link.

The on-foot enemies are plenty interested in Link, see, they swipe at him cuz they want to kill him and have a barbecue.  To be interested in other things besides hurting Link would make them... boring?

To comment on the trailer file, Nintendo has been getting better at encoding video, little by little.  However, the video footage in this trailer was TOO BRIGHT, UNDER-SATURATED, and LOW IN CONTRAST.  Effectively, a lot of textures and detail were washed-out in scenes that were well-lighted (daytime horsing).

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 11, 2005, 01:57:01 PM »
I'm thinking this game might be strongly wilderness oriented.  If it takes place after Wind Waker, in a far off land they've discovered, it's largely uninhabited.  Thus far we've seen no NPCs, only wild animals and abandoned temples (maybe a civilization here before that was lost) and that castle in the distance.  The castle doesn't seem very hospitable: it could be one of the few places humans can live, looking so fierce because it needs to protect against the enemies, or could be abandoned (used by Link as a starting place, maybe Tetra and the pirates stay there if they're involved).  That really depends on whether this is a continuation of Wind Waker or something that takes place long after Wind Waker.  Either way, I still get that strong wilderness vibe, and that wolf at the end only adds to my suspicions.
Bomb arrows are the coolest, one of the best returns of an item I've ever seen.
Cool coincidental capture
Bill made a lot of observations we already shared and discussed quite a bit.  I'm really wondering what the Goron is, whether it's an enemy or someone that will become your friend (fighting to prove yourself type of thing).
The field seems massive, I wonder how that's going to work.  I also like the look of the forest, much more natural.  That one hollow tree is definitely an important spot, what with that unusual creature (presumably friendly) and the cats, not to mention how distinctive it is compared to the other trees.
Okay, now I'm thinking the castle is inhabited, but exists as a fortress, a stronghold against the wilds.  I figure it's inhabited because it's pretty well lit at night, when the trailer starts.
I'm curious about the oily-looking creature in the woods, too, the one with the long arms that was in the first trailer.  Looks pretty cool.  Also, the first trailer seemed to suggest something of a war, whereas this one is more prone to wild enemies that are less organized (though the first was still very tribal and wild).  I'm willing to bet it's more like the second, but we can't dismiss the possibility of a goal-oriented enemy.  Perhaps trying to conquer the aforementioned castle-fortress?

More later.

Edit: After checking the video step by step in quicktime, it certainly seems as if the horse is jumping over the body of the fallen bat-dragon.  I'm not 100% certain, but the legs seem to lift up differently (all at once), so it looks a lot like it.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 11, 2005, 04:48:50 PM »
What's everyone's take on NPC-interaction strategies?  Should Nintendo stick with text only, or should they give in to IGN's demands and have speech throughout the game?  Should Link talk (please, God, no) or should remain his silent self?  

If there is speach, should Nintendo not put subtitles at all, just to piss of Paladin?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 11, 2005, 04:53:49 PM »
"or should they give in to IGN's demands and have speech throughout the game"
Why the hell should they do that?  Screw IGN.
I'd prefer them to keep text, personally, and I suspect that they will.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 11, 2005, 05:05:06 PM »
"If there is speach, should Nintendo not put subtitles at all, just to piss of Paladin?"

Ouch.

Nah... Nintendo's been good at putting in subtitles.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 11, 2005, 06:05:30 PM »
link shouldnt, everybody else is free game/.
The Savior Returns Late 2005

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #613 on: March 11, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »
Nintendo could make up a subdued "Hyrule-speak" just like they did with Pikmin 2's "Hocotate-speak".  That was awesome *o*

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 11, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »
I probably doubt it since the horse in now used for travelling, but wouldn't it be great if Link could still use a boat? I don't mean for long distance travelling, just to cross a gap between islands or something. It would make sense since many screenshots show Link without his horse. So I'm thinking Link leaves his horse behind to go to a dense forest type Island.  

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 12, 2005, 03:21:22 AM »
Noticed a couple things graphic wise

-Link kicks up dust/grass when he runs some place
-When ever Link strikes, it lights up the surrounding area (nice touch nintendo)
-When things die, they give off smoke, light, as well as big chucks of mass (I have no clue....look at it with quicktime).

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 12, 2005, 03:22:28 AM »
At least he can *gasp* dive underwater again. Look at that water reflection... just beautiful. Here's hoping fishing will make a comeback as a lovely way to pass time.

Offline mjbd

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 12, 2005, 07:16:06 AM »
Yea, fishing in OoT was awsome.  It was the best fishing experience on the N64.  The mini games in Zelda usually very fun to play.  I remember not doing anything but fishing for hours in OoT, trying to get the biggest fish.  The water does look incredible, nintendo makes some of the prettiest water in their games.  Wave Race BS, Super Mario Sunshine, and even the cel shaded water in Zelda WW looked great, but this new Zelda's water looks like something you would see in a high quality CG movie.
Formerly Known As Mike_OPN2000

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 12, 2005, 07:33:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742

-When ever Link strikes, it lights up the surrounding area (nice touch nintendo)
-When things die, they give off smoke, light, as well as big chucks of mass (I have no clue....look at it with quicktime).

Take a look at Wind Waker again.  I'm pretty sure all of these details were there, and this game is running on the same engine.  
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Legend of Zelda: 2005 Official Discussion
« Reply #619 on: March 12, 2005, 09:23:55 AM »
I don't see any reflection in the water. Just refracting. Although it's improved over Pikmin 2's refraction, which applies the effect to objects above the water. Both are still beautiful, of course.

The shadows look very good. Every enenmy has a detailed shadow that rotates and morphs perfectly to nearby light sources, including the attack effects. They all seem to have self-shadowing, too. Maybe someone with more [read: some] knowledge can expound on the subject.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #620 on: March 12, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »
Hmm I don't see any clear examples of self-shadowing.  If there were, i'd guess it'd be due to the environment (from patches of light and shadow thru the treetops, or cloud cover) like FF:CC or RE4 used once in a while.  If Nintendo used, say, a 3-pass DivX encode for their trailer instead of quickslime, and used better color settings for their captures, we'd see things more clearly.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
RE:Legend of Zelda: 2005 Official Discussion
« Reply #621 on: March 12, 2005, 12:02:07 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

Originally posted by: Don'tHate742

Take a look at Wind Waker again.  I'm pretty sure all of these details were there, and this game is running on the same engine.

I found it hard to believe that this game was running on the Wind waker engine, but after looking carefully I found this. And the purple smoke was another proof. I think Ill miss the awesome dust and smoke effect from the Wind Waker, but they dont fit this new game. Seeing that "realistic" dust is kind of boring after seeing the one in WW, but Im sure Nintendo will add some other beatiful things to look at (like that moon O_O, I just love it!, an I still think it has eyes Bill ).
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 12, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
It does look like it has eyes, but they are so vague that it definitely won't be incoperated to the point of MM. It's weird, you can see two big craters, then within the craters are outlines of an ires. Interesting....

Did anyone know why Nintendo decided to include those big shards of mass in the explosion? The only thing I could think of was enemy interaction with the explosion. Since it's hard to see those chunks of matter unless paying careful attention, I think they "hit" the other enemies allowing for more precise reations. That was just a load of crap....

If you don't see what I'm talking about look at mantidor's post above.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 12, 2005, 02:35:37 PM »
I dont expect that also, Im sure the game wont be about saving the world from inevitable destruction by a maniacal moon (I think that has to be the best theme for a game ever! I just love MM with passion, sorry for the wierd statement). now after my hype-o-meter has started too cool down, Í can say its probable Im trying too hard to find things in the trailer.

I also think that what the trailer shows is still an early stage of the game, and the trailer just hints us about posible things, if you look back trailers for OoT and WW were very vague also, for me those big cell-shaded chunks are just a minor error of the engine that honestly I only noticed because I wanted to see that scene frame by frame to see in detail the awesome animation of those creatures, and also wanted to see if they were casting a shadow on Link in addition to the ground. Sadly  the trailer quality doesnt let you see that clearly.

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 12, 2005, 03:11:25 PM »
Maybe the supposed eyes on the moon are just a hint that this does take place in the same alternative world that MM does and this is the same Link and Epona from the N64 titles.
I think we can pretty much assume this game is going to be a side-quest in the vain of Majora's Mask so having it take place in the same alternative world with a familair Link makes sense as I'm sure Miyamoto wants to wait and reveal a new Hyrule and a new Link in the next "main" Zelda title on the Revolution.