Author Topic: E3 2009 to reveal big software, from the man himself, Iwata. PS2 in his sights.  (Read 95490 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
[quote-Kairon]I mean, I'm confused as to what exactly people mean when they say they want to see new core IP from Nintendo... what's a good example of that happening before?

Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Also Captain Rainbow!
[/quote]

How ironic that even though Captain Rainbow is a new IP its about helping obscure and forgotten Nintendo characters.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
What I want to see is the next big franchise.  I want something that can be put up there with Mario, Zelda, and the Metroid Prime series.  Stuff like Starfox, F-Zero, and even Kid Icarus is cool and all, but I have a good idea of where they would go with those.  I want something TOTALLY new.  New characters, new worlds, new play methods, new everything.  I haven't seen that from Nintendo for a LONG time, probably since Metroid Prime was released.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
What I want to see is the next big franchise.  I want something that can be put up there with Mario, Zelda, and the Metroid Prime series.  Stuff like Starfox, F-Zero, and even Kid Icarus is cool and all, but I have a good idea of where they would go with those.  I want something TOTALLY new.  New characters, new worlds, new play methods, new everything.  I haven't seen that from Nintendo for a LONG time, probably since Metroid Prime was released.

Metroid Prime was based off the Metroid series you goober. :P

The next big franchise is something that rarely comes along, just ask Sony.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
If (and this actually isn't all that unlikely) F-Zero Wii and Pikmin 3 are fully unveiled, I'd be in heaven.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile

Like all the stuff shown at the fall conference? There were at least four (somewhat) unknown names on the release list for 2009 and I think they were all from the conference.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
I want something TOTALLY new.  New characters, new worlds, new play methods, new everything.  I haven't seen that from Nintendo for a LONG time, probably since Metroid Prime was released.

I don't know about you, but I've seen that plenty of times from Nintendo since Metroid Prime. Or do you mean you want a title that falls into the vague "epic" category somehow?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile

Nintendo's actually done this a couple times if you think about it:

Wii Series (2006)
Nintendogs (2005)
Pokemon (1998)
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile

Nintendo's actually done this a couple times if you think about it:

Wii Series (2006)
Nintendogs (2005)
Pokemon (1998)

Lindy seems to be talking about a "hardcore" new franchise like Mario or Zelda. At least that is how I interpreted his question. He seemed to discount all the other new IPs Nintendo has created.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
What about Battalion Wars (I don't think that really has much in common with the TBS Famicom Wars games), Chibi Robo, Disaster and Excite Truck? People just list Pikmin but it really wasn't the only new setting Nintendo had since the N64.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Nintendo didn't care enough to advertise the above.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
I'm not saying Nintendo hasn't introduced new IP, far from it.  But their new IP hasn't strayed beyond "general audience" stuff for a long time.  I realize Metroid Prime was existing IP, but it's so different from anything else in their catalog that it felt brand-new.  It introduced tons of new worlds and characters.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
I have a feeling one of the games is going to be from Monster Games, what Mario Team has been working on and Pikmin 3.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline crone

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
If Nintendo does not hype Sin and Punishment 2 at E3 or in any advertising they are missing out on a huge opportunity to launch a new IP. S&P 1 with its low budget beat out Star Fox 64 in the gameplay department by a mile.

I know that its technically Treasure's IP but Nintendo is publishing. Treasure is less than 30 employees...if Nintendo could give them a push like they did with Rareware/Silicon Knights in the old days S&P 2 could be a big hit.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:28:01 PM by crone »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
Pfft. They need to push Dynamic Slash. Sandlot is awesome.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
If Nintendo does not hype Sin and Punishment 2 at E3 or in any advertising they are missing out on a huge opportunity to launch a new IP. S&P 1 with its low budget beat out Star Fox 64 in the gameplay department by a mile.

I know that its technically Treasure's IP but Nintendo is publishing. Treasure is less than 30 employees...if Nintendo could give them a push like they did with Rareware/Silicon Knights in the old days S&P 2 could be a big hit.

I believe Nintendo owns the IP.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
If (and this actually isn't all that unlikely) F-Zero Wii and Pikmin 3 are fully unveiled, I'd be in heaven.

See..

February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
http://nintendoe32008.ytmnd.com/

:shudder:

Let's hope it's better this year.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
I'm not saying Nintendo hasn't introduced new IP, far from it.  But their new IP hasn't strayed beyond "general audience" stuff for a long time.  I realize Metroid Prime was existing IP, but it's so different from anything else in their catalog that it felt brand-new.  It introduced tons of new worlds and characters.

I really think you are splitting hairs. What about AC? That was a new IP that was different from most of what they did? Or what about Professor Layton, Captain Rainbow, DISASTER, and others? Not to mention that new IPs are extremely overrated, you can create fresh innovative game designs in current IPs. Just look at the Mario and Luigi series, it is unique from about any game out there. It is one of the few RPGs where if you are good enough you can actually avoid taking damage for the most part. Mario Galaxy is another example, it innovated the basic platforming design to building a game around planetoids, the impact of gravity, and the puzzles that go along with that.

Metroid Prime was still Super Metroid but in 3D, the reason why people loved it is because it managed to capture the spirit of the game while bringing it to 3D.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile

See..

Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't call me out on that :)
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
Or what about Professor Layton

I didn't even notice that was made by Nintendo...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

I really think you are splitting hairs. What about AC? That was a new IP that was different from most of what they did? Or what about Professor Layton, Captain Rainbow, DISASTER, and others? Not to mention that new IPs are extremely overrated, you can create fresh innovative game designs in current IPs. Just look at the Mario and Luigi series, it is unique from about any game out there. It is one of the few RPGs where if you are good enough you can actually avoid taking damage for the most part. Mario Galaxy is another example, it innovated the basic platforming design to building a game around planetoids, the impact of gravity, and the puzzles that go along with that.

Metroid Prime was still Super Metroid but in 3D, the reason why people loved it is because it managed to capture the spirit of the game while bringing it to 3D.

Whoah there let's not get carried away there...

Let me remind that ALL of Nintendo's franchises were once niche, new IPs that revolutionized the scene.

Mario: Revolutionized arcades and platforming

Zelda: Added a lot of freedom to adventure games

Metroid: An atmospheric adventure game with an enigmatic lead

Pokemon: Became a worldwide, multimedia phenomenon

And many, many more...

Yes, I agree that you can still innovate with existing IPs. But that doesn't mean that new IPs can't be created. The next big could be out there.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
I'm hoping for an announcement of a new Mario game. And by that, I mean a spin-off. Call me crazy or whatever but I can't get enough Mario games.

What, specifically, am I hoping for? Well, I have a few things in mind.
I'd love to see a new Mario Tennis, but I suppose the re-release of Mario Power Tennis pretty much kills the chance of that happening.
I'm kind of surprised there's been no mention of a Mario Party 9 yet... makes me wonder what Hudson has been up to. MP8 is good, but Wii can do better; now's the time to give the series an overhaul!
Perhaps a sport that the Mario gang hasn't touched yet could be interesting, although I can't really think of a major one that they haven't covered. Football (American) might be interesting, but that sport isn't really popular outside of America. Hockey might be another choice... although that may end up too similar to Mario Strikers. Whatever sport they cover, I'd hope that they would do more than simply add Mario Kart-like items to the mix like a couple of the others did.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile

See..

Damn, I was hoping you wouldn't call me out on that :)

Heh.. its ok, i'm just jealous that you actually finished the games story mode.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
What I want to see is the next big franchise.  I want something that can be put up there with Mario, Zelda, and the Metroid Prime series.

I would love to see this as well.  This one thing I really miss about Rare.  Even if Nintendo was sticking mostly to franchises on the N64 Rare would bust out something like Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, Conker or Perfect Dark and it was like "whoa, what's that?!"  The N64 really spoiled us with that as the existing franchises were also so overhauled in 3D that they were effectively new as well.

I just think Nintendo assumes too much that their franchises define them.  What Nintendo great was that they weren't very cookie cutter.  When they made a sequel that made it count.  Rarely was it just more levels.  Usually it had some fundamental gameplay difference or it just added so much stuff that it made the original game seem obsolete.  It felt like you couldn't skip a sequel.  But even if you don't milk a franchise too quickly there's just the law of diminishing returns.  Mario and Zelda are old enough now that it's really hard to keep it fresh.  I give Nintendo full credit for keeping a franchise relevant for multiple console generations.  But to keep things fresh they naturally need to introduce new IPs as the old ones get stale.  This is why I throw a fit whenever Nintendo announces yet another Mario sports game.  Mario is played.  I'm sick of him.  I still enjoy his platformers but Mario spinoffs just feel like product.  There's nothing new being done.  Anyone can skip it and know they didn't miss much.  I know it's a quick buck but I would rather see those efforts put to something more interesting.

And there is an obvious difference between a new IP being used in an A-title or a B-title.  Captain Rainbow is not an A-title.  It would be nice to see something new in a GOTY contender.

Fortunately Pikmin is still new enough that Pikmin 3 will likely still feel pretty fresh.  And Kid Icarus making a transfer to 3D would essentially be a new IP like how Metroid Prime was.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
So, um, why do people ignore the games from the fall conference?