Author Topic: Drought, drought...FLOOD!  (Read 17123 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Drought, drought...FLOOD!
« on: March 26, 2007, 04:54:07 AM »
What the hell happened? We went from Feb. having Sonic: SR, Blur and Wii Play and little else to...

March
16th Tiger Woods
19th TMNT
21st Blazing Angels
21st Godfather
21st Kororinpa
21st Cooking Mama
28th MoH: Vanguard

I went from having nothing to play to far too much to play. I'm going through Godfather right now, even though I have TMNT and Kororinpa rented and I also want to play through MoH, Blazing Angels and give Mama a try as well.

April is pretty quiet (yes, that is sarcasm), except for PoP on the 5th, Super Paper Mario on the 11th and Bust-A-Move on the 19th.

Anyone who insists that the GC had equivalent 3rd party support is on crack. There was NEVER a time in the GC's life where I felt pressured to finish games quickly because I had so many others to get through. The closest to that was when I bought Pikmin and SSBM at the same time, but this? All of these games are at least worth a rent and Godfather (which I bought) has already paid for itself in entertainment value.

Anyone else experiencing the game "backup" issue right now? I can't even look at my DS...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Drought, drought...FLOOD!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:03:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
Anyone else experiencing the game "backup" issue right now? I can't even look at my DS...

Yes, and even if I don't count new games.  I have unplayed Wii, Gamecube, PS2, PS1, GBA, DS, and PC games piling up.  Most of them are only new to me, since I've been going back and getting old games I missed out on, but I'm not ignoring new games, either.  There are more on the way to me in the mail right now.  I would almost welcome a drought.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Drought, drought...FLOOD!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 05:27:10 AM »
Actually Smash.  I started feeling that sort of pressure when I started renting games.  It cost me the same a month and I want to play all those games.  When I was buying them individually money would space it out.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:33:19 AM »
This is true, but I never recall looking at the GC's lineup and ever saying to myself, "Man, I wish I could try all these..."

And PB, technically, I still have PoR and Killer7 which I wanted to finish.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:45:05 AM »
You've forgotten SSX Blur.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:51:39 AM »
I mentioned Blur under Feb., but it wasn't my type of game.

I mentioned all of these games because they are games I want to play.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 05:52:15 AM »
Don't worry, SB. The big summer drought should help you catch up with the late winter and spring game releases .

Seriously, one thing I hate is that developers and companies release tons of games during spring and fall, but summer is DRY, drier than the Sahara dessert during the hottest day of the year and with Global warming at its strongest.

That pissed the hell out of me last year...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 05:52:59 AM »
"What the hell happened? We went from Feb. having Sonic: SR, Blur and Wii Play and little else to..."

So we went from three filler games overrated by Wii fans desperate for anything to play to seven. Wow.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 06:22:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane So we went from three filler games overrated by Wii fans desperate for anything to play to seven. Wow.

Do you even own a Wii?

If not, you're in no position to say anything on the matter and even if you do own a Wii, I'm quite certain you haven't played any of these games.

And even if you HAD played these games, let's be honest: you'd just opt to downplay their enjoyability for the sake of your argument.

So again, your opinion is 100% irrelevant on the subject.

I had fun with Secret Rings and Wii Play and I'm having an absolute BLAST with Godfather (that is, when I can pull my friends off of it long enough to play it myself). I know these games have 0 chance of living up to your ridiculously high standards, but it might interest you to know that, while you're off fantasizing about recapturing some lost essence of Nintendo idealism which died with the SNES for you, the rest of us are having a sh*tload of fun pantomiming things like hitting golf balls, hitting cue balls and choking the life out of hoodlums and snapping their necks.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 06:37:24 AM »
All seven of those games that you have never played are overrated? Come on Ian, that's troll talk, you can do better...

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 06:38:10 AM »

I'm having an absolute BLAST with Godfather.

Me too. The funny thing about it is that I had absolutely no interest in ever playing the game on any other console it has been released for. It wasn't until I saw the trailer for the Wii version a month or two ago that I decided to give it a chance. Once the reviews confirmed that the Wii controller made the game as fun to play as it looked in the video, I was sold.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 06:42:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"What the hell happened? We went from Feb. having Sonic: SR, Blur and Wii Play and little else to..."

So we went from three filler games overrated by Wii fans desperate for anything to play to seven. Wow.

For a console only 4 months into it's life, I'd say it's a pretty respectable release rate. Who knows - maybe by this time next year, we'll be able to walk into a store and see a bunch of worthless 3rd party titles we never even knew existed sitting on the shelf branded with the Wii logo (a la PS2). Let the flood begin!
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 07:09:46 AM »
Like I said, I have to pry other people off of Godfather before I can play it.

What irks me most about Ian's (admittedly typical) stance on this matter is that it's the driving root of Nintendo's entire problem: the immediate dismissal by Nintendo fans of any game not made by Nintendo.

It's one thing to not buy sh*t games with little effort put into them because there was very little effort put into them. It's another to dismiss games as filler even though the 3rd party put a great deal of effort into it or made it a complete exclusive.

I've SEEN crap controls on the Wii: the Godfather is the exact opposite of this, with controls so precise they rival all of Nintendo's 1st party efforts thus far and often outdo them. EA clearly put a great deal of effort into these controls and, as a result, anyone can pick them up and be garroting their enemies in minutes and god knows, they're FUN. I'm sitting here itching to return home so I can put some more Godfather time in because I haven't beat someone's face in recently.

It was the "Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games" problem which put Nintendo in their last place finish last gen. I don't think anyone b*tched more about the state of the GC than you, Ian, and for you to insist upon exacerbating the problem this gen by brushing aside quality titles by 3rd parties is the very definition of irony.

If a 3rd party puts a great deal of effort into a game, even if it's a port, then it deserves our respect AND our money. Godfather is a textbook example of this and anyone who claims the contrary better be able to make a whopping good argument and do so from experience.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 07:15:42 AM »

Like I said, I have to pry other people off of Godfather before I can play it.

What irks me most about Ian's (admittedly typical) stance on this matter is that it's the driving root of Nintendo's entire problem: the immediate dismissal by Nintendo fans of any game not made by Nintendo.

It's one thing to not buy sh*t games with little effort put into them because there was very little effort put into them. It's another to dismiss games as filler even though the 3rd party put a great deal of effort into it or made it a complete exclusive.

I've SEEN crap controls on the Wii: the Godfather is the exact opposite of this, with controls so precise they rival all of Nintendo's 1st party efforts thus far and often outdo them. EA clearly put a great deal of effort into these controls and, as a result, anyone can pick them up and be garroting their enemies in minutes and god knows, they're FUN. I'm sitting here itching to return home so I can put some more Godfather time in because I haven't beat someone's face in recently.

It was the "Nintendo fans only buy Nintendo games" problem which put Nintendo in their last place finish last gen. I don't think anyone b*tched more about the state of the GC than you, Ian, and for you to insist upon exacerbating the problem this gen by brushing aside quality titles by 3rd parties is the very definition of irony.

If a 3rd party puts a great deal of effort into a game, even if it's a port, then it deserves our respect AND our money. Godfather is a textbook example of this and anyone who claims the contrary better be able to make a whopping good argument and do so from experience.

SEE!?!?! You agree with me don't you???? I WAS RIGHT!>!!>!>?! hahahaha!!!! I was riiiiiiggggghhhhttttt!!!!! hooorraaayyy for THIIIRD PARTIIIESSS!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHFARCRYHAHAHA!

I need... some ritalin.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 07:31:37 AM »
Yeah, so long as you acknowledge that they could have put more effort into the FC graphics.

The game was just fine, except for the graphics, and the use of the Wiimote for the melee attack was hella fun, but it can't compare to the micromanaging of attacks you get from roughing someone up in Godfather.

Different gameplay styles, though. We'll have to see how MoH turns out.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 07:32:31 AM »
Oh yeah, the graphics were HORRENDOUS. They even had frame tearing problems on the FMVs!!! WTF. How do you have FMVs that can't play right?!?!?!??!?!

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 07:40:22 AM »
That's Ubisoft for you.

But with EA putting pressure on them with games like Godfather and putting pressure on Activision with MoH, it means that all 3rd parties face stiffer competition and will be competing with each other for sales instead of competing with Nintendo, something which would have been unthinkable in times past.

When a Wii game will be blasted for graphics when compared to other Wii games, it will effectively shame developers into working harder on the graphics.  

Offline Crave

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 07:45:33 AM »
Perhaps the title of this thread should be drought, drought, drizzle. What happened to Nintendo's saying "Quality not quantity"  So far I see the quantity, with less then average attempts at quality.

Reviews for most of these games are less then impressive: (Ratings from IGN)

TMNT = 5.5
Wing Island = 5.0
Blazing Angels = 5.7
Kororinpa = 6.2
Cooking Mama = 5.8

with the exception

Godfather 8.0
SSX Blur 8.4

What amazes me is how we are content with crappy ports, a "list" of games, and Nintendo's attempt to capture a demographic. Show me a Nintendo that is focused on capturing it's original market of the NES, SNES days and I will show you a fanboy that is happy once again.  -Crave   Vent complete.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 07:48:05 AM »
Frankly, Ian has a bit of a point.  TMNT and Tiger Woods weren't what I had in mind when I was complaining about the game drought.  And a quick jaunt to GameRankings shows that only Godfather and Tiger Woods are averaging more than 70%.   I don't want to put too much stock in game review scores, and I think there's a lot of subjectivity about Wii right now due to the new controls, but it still says something that most of these games are averaging scores in the 60-70 range.
</objectivity>

I LOVE Wii.  Best game system since N64, at least.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 07:57:21 AM »
Godfather has an average of 79.1%; higher than any other version of the game.

But seriously, are the PS3 owners throwing a hissy fit over their GodFather: Don's edition? Are 360 owners whining about their TMNT?

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 07:59:29 AM »

Originally posted by: Crave
Perhaps the title of this thread should be drought, drought, drizzle. What happened to Nintendo's saying "Quality not quantity"  So far I see the quantity, with less then average attempts at quality.

Reviews for most of these games are less then impressive: (Ratings from IGN)

TMNT = 5.5
Wing Island = 5.0
Blazing Angels = 5.7
Kororinpa = 6.2
Cooking Mama = 5.8

with the exception

Godfather 8.0
SSX Blur 8.4

What amazes me is how we are content with crappy ports, a "list" of games, and Nintendo's attempt to capture a demographic. Show me a Nintendo that is focused on capturing it's original market of the NES, SNES days and I will show you a fanboy that is happy once again.  -Crave   Vent complete.

1. You are listing just ONE reviews source. As well all know, reviews vary from person to person. So saying that because ONE site said that the game was bad it is truly bad is silly and even ignorant.

2. It has been proven in the past that websites trash a game and the gaming community agree that its a far better game (Red Steel, Secret rings, SSX Blur and Excite Truck come to mind). Sometimes its best to try the game for YOURSELF and see what YOU think, not what some random editor says.

And boy, are you out of the loop. The Nintendo officials came out and said that it was their strict quality control that caused them great damage during their N64 and GC days and decided to focus on delivering as many games as possible instead of focusing so religiously on quality. Nintendo still cares about quality, yes, but they won't be so anal about it.

In fact, thanks to this post, I decided to come up with the term "Nintendo snubbery". The term applies to fans who have an extremely high set of standards for Nintendo gaming and will snub any game not made by Nintendo or any game that doesn't meet their standards. They will also look down upon fans who embrace these games, telling them that they are starved and are quick to embrace anything.

Be prepared, folks. As third party support grows, more and more of these fans will show up.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
The Noid speaks truth

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 08:37:54 AM »
... double post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »
I wouldn't call that a flood of titles... I guess, maybe for a Nintendo console. Out of those 7 games, the only one I have any interest in trying is Cooking Mama... Hey, shut up. My mom says I'm cool.......

Since my brother and I have finally beaten Wii Play Tanks, the Wii will likely begin gathering dust until Winter. In the meantime, I plan on buying a PS2 soon to catch up on all the fancy titles I missed. And there's that HUGE Target sale for DS games. I'll probably buy Mario Kart DS and Final Fantasy III tomorrow. $24 for each game plus 10% employee discount (second job because I wanted more hours) = win. In your face, MSRP.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 09:01:42 AM »
That even beats Gamefly.  I'm impressed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.