Author Topic: Skyward Sword Will Include More Than 100 Minutes of Cutscenes  (Read 7432 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Skyward Sword Will Include More Than 100 Minutes of Cutscenes
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 07:08:15 PM »
And I stand by my post, where I point out that it's not that much when you look at it in relation to how long the game is. As far as telling stories goes, Nintendo usually does their best work in the Zelda series (though looking good in comparison to everything else they've done isn't that hard).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »
It would be interesting if someone were to count up the minutes of cutscenes in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. Something tells me it'd be a higher number than you'd think, and probably close to 100 minutes.

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
I hope they don't go the TP route by building up a story then dropping it half way in.

what are you talking about? the ending was the best moment I've ever seen in a Zelda game!

True the ending was awesome one of my favorites too. But roughly midway in the game the story was dropped almost completely and the game was just get to the next dungeon with not much to tie them together. Yes I know most Zelda games are this way but TP kinda made you think it was going to have epic story cutscenes throughout like begining put it failed. Hell, I remember reading an interview on this site that said they did this on purpose to mimic OoT. TP was fan service

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:04 PM »
The only games were you "do" something to reveal the story are the ones like Heavy Rain or LA Noire or the visual novels where the characters actions involve things like making dialogue and plot choices.

The other 99% of games' characters abilities are limited to things like: "shoot this or don't shoot it," "jump over this or run around it."  Kind of silly to make meaningful plot developments EMERGE from THOSE activities.

I am also of the opinion that games with ONE plot tell the best stories.  If that means relinquishing control of said plot - I'm cool with that.  Let us, the gamers, be immersed and have control of HOW the character advances through the plot, not WHAT that plot is.

... again, just my perspective and you are entitled to yours.  If you can explain how yours can and should apply to (most? all?) games, I'm all ears!
You say so yourself that LA Noire and Heavy Rain aren't games (visual novels--might as well be choose your own adventure books) so, without a framework of rules and objectives, I don't think the menial tasks the games make you perform count for anything, all they do reveal more non-interactive scenarios.

You seem to think that the framework of a game should serve the plot.  But this is totally backwards.  Is LA Noire a chore to play?  YES.  Same goes for every PLOT driven game I've played.  Killer 7 is another good example.  The problem with these games is that they don't want to be games and they take this problem out on the player.  A game has to logically respond to player input-these games simply shrug off all wrong input until the predetermined right input is done--it's not interaction of 99.99% of the actions garner no meaningful reaction.  The goal of these games basically "do what you're told."  You can't build a strategy around this because your role in the game isn't big enough to effect the game.

Think about the Blue Shell in Mario Kart and why someone might hate it.  The blue shell punishes good play and rewards bad play.  There isn't a logical strategy to overcome the blue shell.  The skills of player are diminished.

Stories that emerge from game play are generally more personal and effecting.  Minecraft is a good example.  The fear night brings.  The satisfaction of building a cool house or finding cool stuff to mine.  Being annoyed at your dog--being sad when your dog dies.  The framework provides so many little moments that build the emotional arc of the game and thus the story is created.  Sports games (especially full seasons) do a good job of this--same goes for the Sims or SimCity2k and the like.  I've heard Dwarf Fortress really excels at this.

Games are a great medium for telling stories but the games and the stories tend to suffer when the games ape movies.  Adding movies to games hasn't made the framework or game play of any game I've ever played better.  There are plenty of effecting non-plot driven works of art that are deeply moving--statues, architecture, paintings, songs, poems, pop-art.. etc--given the spacial reasoning and non-linearity that most of these art forms possess, I don't know why developers insist on making pseudo movies that cripple their chosen medium--games.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:56 PM »
A 100 minutes of King Zora scouting over!

The sound of his ass sliding is excruciating!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:04:40 PM by The Unagi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »
I wonder what the average gameplay:cut-scene ratios of other games are, such as Metroid: Other M and any MGS game...
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2011, 10:22:04 PM »
The more I think of it, the more I want it to be one single 100-minute cutscene right in the middle of the game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 12:19:28 AM »
A 100 minutes of King Zora scooting over!

The sound of his ass sliding is excruciating!

;D
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 01:52:49 AM »
The more I think of it, the more I want it to be one single 100-minute cutscene right in the middle of the game.

Oh man, this made me laugh out loud!!

@marty

I think you have some good points but I am too tired (and possibly sick) to fully comprehend them right now.  I will get back to you in the near future!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 08:52:13 AM »
I don't mind cutscenes when used effectively. Few games do. Off the top of my head, Uncharted uses cutscenes well. They're short and sometimes the game let's you keep playing while still being fed plot points. Just like in movies, after a major action sequence, it's a good idea to slow things down and let the audience take it all in but don't slow down too much or the audience stands to get restless and bored.

Nintendo is just not good at it and until they get better at it or hire people who are better at it, I'd prefer they keep cutscenes to a minimum. I don't mind reading subtitles just as long as it's kept short. I play games to play, not to read. Games like Zelda force you to read long blocks of text and it's not like they're really well-written. Nintendo doesn't usually let you skip them either. Without having seen what Skyward Sword has to offer, I'm not going to condemn it immediately. However, my expectations are fairly low. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:52 PM »

Sounds like Metal Gear Solid 4, except you left out the 100 minute cutscene at the beginning, the ones in between each chapter and the 3000 minute one at the end.

I remember when cutscenes in games were much more rare due to technological limitations.  They were usually at the beginning to establish the setting and the main plot, they were in the ending naturally, and you might also get a couple interludes in between levels, chapters or sections.  They did not do a little cutscene for every little item you found or constantly went from scene to scene showing all sorts of cool stuff that player would LIKE to do but can't because the developer is a wannabe film maker (and usually shows off exactly WHY they never became a film maker in the first place).

FMV isn't some new technology that blows us away anymore.  I find an overabundance of cutscenes to be annoying.  The real purpose of them is provide information to the player in situations where it is not practical for the player to be in control.  So something like a mission briefing or some interlude showing character away from the action is fine and totally appropriate.  But the walk 10 steps, cutscene, walk 20 steps, cutscene pattern is unbearable.  Same with the need to introduce every character or enemy with some little scene.

Zelda is not bad for this but the overall execution of cutscenes in the industry in general is pretty damn flawed.  I think it is something developers need to think about.  I don't play videogames to watch b-movies.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
I always liked the boss introduction ones because it was a chance to show the bosses character and the boss itself because I'm rarely able to see the whole boss while fighting.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 03:51:51 PM »
The latest Extra Credits is pertinent.