Author Topic: Skyward Sword Will Include More Than 100 Minutes of Cutscenes  (Read 7430 times)

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Skyward Sword Will Include More Than 100 Minutes of Cutscenes
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:42:51 PM »

Skyward Sword will also have similar features to Ocarina of Time 3D.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27834

According to the official Legend of Zelda Facebook page, Skyward Sword will be packed with more than one hundred minutes of cinematic cutscenes.

The game will also implement some elements that were introduced to the Zelda series by Grezzo’s Ocarina of Time 3D, such as the inclusion of a boss-challenge mode and hint movies.

James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Skyward Sword Will Include More Than 100 Minutes of Cutscenes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
The hint videos don't count towards the 100 minutes, do they?

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:11:10 PM »
Metal Triforce Zelda: The Legend of Silent Protagonist
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
No, the hint videos are separate.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Don't supose they would have a movie mode like they had with Twin Snakes.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:03 PM »
yes!!

I only say this because plot sucks me in to a game more than anything else.  I don't care about bloating numbers like "100 minutes of ____" as a feature, but Other M is my favorite Metroid game because not only was the gameplay intense, the game actually had the guts to stand up for itself and say: "video games are a story telling medium! not just a violence simulator!"

... I am exaggerating for effect.

also, I know Link isn't going to be talking yet... but the further away we get from games that feel no plot/no character = immersive/relatable, THE BETTER!!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
Don't supose they would have a movie mode like they had with Twin Snakes.

Starring Buster Keaton
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
If the game is as long or longer than Twlight Princess, I can see how it can be sprinkled with that many minutes of cinematics.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
How awkward is it going to be when we realize that 30 minutes of that are devoted to Link stuck in the attic watching home movies of himself playing with a hula hoop and opening presents in an epic way?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Thaneros

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
I hope they don't go the TP route by building up a story then dropping it half way in.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »
I hope they don't go the TP route by building up a story then dropping it half way in.

what are you talking about? the ending was the best moment I've ever seen in a Zelda game!

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:56:02 PM »
what are you talking about? the ending was the best moment I've ever seen in a Zelda game!

Yeah, I have to agree with NinSage.  When  [Spoiler Alert for 6 year old game below]

You found at Midna was a chick, and a very hot chick at that, and she said goodbye to Link forever, breaking the mirror?   I cried.  Seriously. 
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:15:20 AM »
That's excessive especially with no voice acting. I seriously don't want to watch that much of a video game.

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »

If you feel that way, that's fine by me... but don't you think that's a bad thing to happen in a GAME?  Shouldn't the best moment be something YOU as the player DO?

In passive entertainment the rule is show don't tell.  The rule for interactive entertainment should be DO don't show--and it used to be that way until dev's decided that showing THEIR story was the focus of the game, not the PLAYER'S story of playing the game.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 11:49:53 AM »
@leahsdad

yea man, I didn't cry but I was certainly getting a little misty.  *bro hug for you*

@marty

That all sounds nice.  But, no, it don't work that way.

The only games were you "do" something to reveal the story are the ones like Heavy Rain or LA Noire or the visual novels where the characters actions involve things like making dialogue and plot choices.

The other 99% of games' characters abilities are limited to things like: "shoot this or don't shoot it," "jump over this or run around it."  Kind of silly to make meaningful plot developments EMERGE from THOSE activities.

I am also of the opinion that games with ONE plot tell the best stories.  If that means relinquishing control of said plot - I'm cool with that.  Let us, the gamers, be immersed and have control of HOW the character advances through the plot, not WHAT that plot is.

... again, just my perspective and you are entitled to yours.  If you can explain how yours can and should apply to (most? all?) games, I'm all ears!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 12:10:33 PM »
With almost any other company it would be fine.  With Nintendo?  I'm anticipating my groans already.  Companies that consider story an afterthought to be thrown in at the last minute should not waste the player's time with 100 minutes of cutscenes.

And the one time they did focus a lot on the story they came up with something I would have been embarassed to write when I was 13 years old.  I'm would like Nintendo to treat story with more importance (the constant "Bowser kidnaps the Princess" routine has gone from quaint to lazy and insulting) but I don't trust them, as is, to deliver on that front.  They have to change in two ways: in treating story with more importance and in having the writing talent to deliver a good story.  Sakamoto is on par with Ed Wood as a storyteller.  The more Miyamoto and Aonuma expand on the Zelda story and timeline the more incoherent and stupid it becomes.  And let's ignore the furry fan fiction that is Star Fox.  If they're going to come up with sucky stories they shouldn't bother and if they're going to put some effort into it they need to bring in better writing talent.  It's all or nothing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »

I hope they do, Nintendo isn't very good at making cutscenes that are worth the time they waste.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
100 minutes of cutscenes for a game as large as this isn't that long people.  Twilight Princess is currently the biggest Zelda and that seemed to take the average person 30 hours to complete the main story.  Since Skyward Sword is suppose to be a bigger game, we're probably looking at at least 35-40 hours to complete the main story part of the game.  Combined with the fact the openings, big halfway point plot twist and endings to Zelda games usually contain the majority of the cutscenes anyway, these will basically be a non-issue for about 90% of the game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »
I think lots of little things.  Boss Intros, Dungeon Intros, Beginning Plot Points, Item Demos, Obtain a notable item, Fairies, New Important character, Scene changing Transitions, etc.

Once you diffuse those out within 40-50 hours it be very easy to put in a lot of less then a minute stuff that makes sense but, you wouldn't be sitting there going when will this scene end.  Using the 50 hour number we're talking only 1/30th of the game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »
I think Ceric's right.  And I sincerely hope these are not pre-rendered.  If I'm wearing a bunny hood, I want to see it in the cutscene, by Din's fire!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:52:15 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
I don't even know what to say to Skyward Sword having 100 hours of this: ".........."  If you're not going to have voice acting or even dialogue, do you really need that many cutscenes in a Zelda game?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 05:59:49 PM »
I don't even know what to say to Skyward Sword having 100 hours of this: ".........."  If you're not going to have voice acting or even dialogue, do you really need that many cutscenes in a Zelda game?
Yeah, 100 hours.  All the gameplay must be QTE with 2 minutes of cinematic for 1 minute of gameplay.  :-P

I be very surprise to see more then two cutscenes 5 minutes and over.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
Minutes. 100 minutes. Out of what they call a 50-60 hour game. Less than two minutes out of every hour of gameplay is cutscenes.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
Minutes. 100 minutes. Out of what they call a 50-60 hour game. Less than two minutes out of every hour of gameplay is cutscenes.

A rational and logical opinion! Seriously it is not a big deal, and the fact is that the stories have been decent in the Zelda series, at least on par with most games that are out now. Twilight Princess's story was interesting, maybe not stellar, but it was entertaining, Wind Waker had some of the best dialogue of the series, including humanizing Ganondorf, and let's not forget Majora's Mask which had an off the wall story and characters (Which is one of the things I enjoyed about the game). Zelda stories need to be understood in the context of their world, and the series has never focused on story, it has always been more of a background thing. Zelda, is NOT final fantasy or Heavy Rain.

I recently went back and played Twilight Princess, and was even more impressed with the world, and the decayed world from Ocarina of Time. Not to mention I enjoyed the story as well, what little there was. It did its job, tied the game together.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Folks, it's called a typo.  I mean to type "minutes", but was thinking about something else and put "hours".  Usually, I catch stuff like that, but I'm in the middle of playing a rather engrossing game at the moment so I didn't go back and re-read my post after I submitted it.  Surely, in the vast wasteland that is the internet, you've seen it before.  Aside from the typo, I stand by everything in that post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:47:42 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.