Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 18938 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »
What are you supposed to do if you don't have your PS3 hooked up to the Internet?  Is the game unplayable?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
What are you supposed to do if you don't have your PS3 hooked up to the Internet?  Is the game unplayable?

I don't know, but seeing as how the game checks the internet when you start the game up I have to assume it won't know there's a patch it needs to download.  From what I've heard from people who played the European version without the patch, the game is just a little buggy without the patch.  You should be able to play it alright, though you should definitely get on hooking that PS3 up to the internet to get that patch.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
I don't have a PS3; just curious.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »
Just finished my first playthrough, seemingly managing to keep all my heroes alive to achieve a very satisfactory climax and ending.  Excellent game with a very cinematic feel that (once again) won't appeal to everyone and has some mechanical problems with its gameplay, but for those that are interested in what could be the future of storytelling in games (or interaction in cinema) I highly recommend it.

Now I'm at something of a crossroads.  I plan on replaying this game probably several more times, but despite my love for chasing trophies I don't know if I'm going to Platinum this game.  Something tells me that something of the magic of the game will be ruined if I actually pick the game apart and try to get all 22 endings.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:01:54 PM by broodwars »

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »
I was thinking to pick this up, only to find out it's completely much sold out at all the stores I checked around here... and they clearly had tons of copies too.  Hmm, I guess maybe that's a good sign...

[The trailer they're showing in stores is highly effective, very dramatic (maybe more so than the game, given people's descriptions)... really pulls you in and makes you really wanna play...]

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:30 PM »
Well, if you were hoping to finally play the Heavy Rain Chronicles: Episode 1 DLC you were promised at launch when you pre-ordered the game, you're **** out of luck because it looks like the DLC has once again been delayed for no apparent reason. Combine this with my Dante's Inferno "Dark Forest" DLC code not working and my Batman: Arkham Asylum codes not working at launch, I'm really starting to get fed up with this whole business of offering slips of paper with promises of content as special offers. The things always have problems of some sort or another.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2010, 11:08:06 PM »
Looks like the PSN solved whatever issue it was having, because suddenly I'm seeing people being able to download the thing and my code works now as well.  A surprisingly massive file (considering it's DLC) at 907 MB.  :Q   That's going to take a while to download considering the PSN's usual urgency.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »
Meh.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:21 PM »
Meh.

Would that be a "meh" at anything in particular?  ;)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 11:57:54 PM »
Is this the future of "non-games"?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2010, 12:18:25 AM »
Is this the future of "non-games"?

If Heavy Rain were to become a standard bearer of the Blue Ocean, I could be quite content.  Hell, if modern games would take notes from Heavy Rain on how to do Quick-Time Events, I'd be satisfied...especially after playing Dante's Inferno with its maddening QTEs.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:20:11 AM by broodwars »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2010, 12:24:50 AM »
Why some good news.  It sounds like Heavy Rain is actually selling--it broke 1/2 million opening week WW (I think it was WW sales but the article didn't state).

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »
Why some good news.  It sounds like Heavy Rain is actually selling--it broke 1/2 million opening week WW (I think it was WW sales but the article didn't state).

Source?

Incidentally, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for the Taxidermist.  This was a tech demo for the game a couple years back, and it shows.  There's a good variety of ways you can go about the last of the 3 scenes; 5 endings; and some very Resident Evil (or Condemned, if you prefer) levels of creepiness, but in the end each playthrough will be maybe 8-10 minutes if you're taking your time.  Quantic Dreams had better have a real showing for the rest of the DLC stories if they expect even me to pay $5 and dedicate perhaps 1 GB for each one, though.

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »
I completed the game itself a few days ago.  It's definitely worth doing.  Whatever may have been wrong with previous games like Indigo, I'm sure they learned from it.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
Completely sold out around here, and the employees have no idea when they'll get more in...
:(

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:36 AM »
Hm, well i finally found a copy and played it.  It seems a decent and often involving game, but man, it's really buggy, and the controls are awful...

I just finished the game on what must be the worst ending ("unpunished") after all my characters died quickly in succession in horrible ways, the victim died horribly as well, the bad cops mocked goodness, and the bad guy strolled off happily into a pleasant and murderous future... :(

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 12:07:47 PM »
So it's not a game... but a next-generation Sega CD title?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:28 PM »
It's a SEGA CD title with SIX-AXIS innovation!
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
It's a SEGA CD title with SIX-AXIS innovation!

Considering that the game has no FMV and a great deal of interactivity, I think it's selling the game a little short to be calling it a Sega CD title.

Incidentally, is there a reason why Pro is basically allowed free reign over trolling here?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2010, 01:23:29 PM »
I wonder this as well.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »
When your one liners are as good as his, you can get away with anything. That line about Sega CD had me LOLing like crazy. Wish I would have thought of it. He must have a staff of writers living with him. No way he comes up with all those crazy jokes himself. 
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »
This gives me hope for a sequel to Night Trap.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2010, 02:26:01 PM »
This gives me hope for a sequel to Night Trap.
There will never be a sequal, but there's always the Taco-Man remake from a couple years back on Newgrounds.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
Incidentally, is there a reason why Pro is basically allowed free reign over trolling here?

Because I'm behind in my General Gaming threads.  Feel free to use the Report to mod button next time.

Offline mac<censored>

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »
BTW, re: online patching -- I don't have the PS3 hooked up to the internet, so I played through it without them, so it's possible, but... it's really buggy.

In certain circumstances the games it will fade to black after a scene (like normal) -- but never actually loads the next scene; it just stops, and that's it, you need to quit and restart from the previous checkpoint.

Sometimes certain controls just stop working.   E.g., in the train station, all you have to do at first is walk across the room, but when I first tried it, the movement controls had absolutely no effect; I initially thought this was some sort of clever way of showing how scared your character is, but I eventually realized that "oh, it's just a bug".  Restarting and trying again fixed the problem.  Another time I had completed one of the "tasks", and was sitting upside down in a burning car, and the game was prompting me with (essentially)  "press X to pick up your prize" -- but the X button didn't work, no matter how often I pressed it!  So eventually I just gave up and failed that task. :(

The bugs aren't "fatal" in a "you must restart the entire game and play from the beginning" way, but they can be extremely frustrating and can definitely screw up your result.