Author Topic: Substandard year in gaming--2014--GotY contenders?  (Read 11119 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Substandard year in gaming--2014--GotY contenders?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
Regarding the actual subject in question:

My problem with GOTY discussions is that half of my gaming dollars are usually spent on games from the prior year.  My personal "game of the year" would be Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
The important consideration is not whether or not a game concept is novel, as much as it should be "does the developer create a game that produces a novel gaming experience?"
That's what i am talking about too. All these AAA games feature the same cut and paste gameplay: "gunplay exactly like in Halo!", "loot like in Borderlands!", "open world gameplay, like in GTA".

My problem with GOTY discussions is that half of my gaming dollars are usually spent on games from the prior year.  My personal "game of the year" would be Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Same. 95% of my gaming time is games released years and decades ago. I can count current releases i bought in 2013 on one hand. I am pretty sure the only 2014 game i bought this year is Crimsonland and that barely qualifies being remake of a decade old game...With October/December releases (Bayo, Korra, Lara Croft) i should fill my quota though.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 01:17:48 PM »
So far The Walking Dead Season 2 and the recently released D4: Dark Dreams don't Die from swery. Both are very similar being sort of point and click patterned off of TV shows
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »
Regarding the actual subject in question:

This is very true. My game of the year would be Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
Yeah, I have the same "problem," most games drop in price so quickly, and all games drop in price eventually, that I can't really justify buying games when they come out at full price. So I don't play much current stuff and buy a lot of "older" stuff. Smash Bros U may be the first time I pay $60 for a game, unless I find a pre-order deal or something.

I don't think we've had a particularly great year in gaming since 2010, though.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 11:53:11 PM »
Yeah, I have the same "problem," most games drop in price so quickly, and all games drop in price eventually, that I can't really justify buying games when they come out at full price. So I don't play much current stuff and buy a lot of "older" stuff. Smash Bros U may be the first time I pay $60 for a game, unless I find a pre-order deal or something.

I don't think we've had a particularly great year in gaming since 2010, though.

Agreed, I try to play as wide an array of stuff as possible, and have done a lot of catch up this year after having access to a PS3 for six months and getting a strong laptop, and very little has stood out. Nothing "big dog" has particularly impressed me since Red Dead Redemption in 2010 and Arkham Asylum in 2009. Nintendo has had some great stuff, and I would probably go with Tropical Freeze as my favorite 2014 game, but their release schedule is famously anemic. Indie-wise, my stand-outs are still Braid, World of Goo, Super Meat Boy, and Limbo, and those were 2008, 2008, 2010, and 2010. Honorable mention for Knytt Underground in 2012.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:03:19 AM by MagicCow64 »