Author Topic: 3DS Hacking question (formerly about PS3)  (Read 10733 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
3DS Hacking question (formerly about PS3)
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:50:37 PM »
I'd like to hack my PS3 (along with my DSi and 3DS someday) but wherever I look, the "guides" people make on how to do it are usually scams or misinformation. Does anyone know of a really good guide on how to do it? My only knowledge with hacking game systems is my Wii. And I'm not too knowledgeable about that, either.

If people are questioning WHY I want it hacked, I just want to be able to have old school video games easily accessible on my PS3 hard drive.

Thanks in advance.
-------------
So in light of the changed title, how can you hack a 3DS? I heard R4 card before but there are so many different sites to buy them I'm kinda weary about what's trusted and what's not. Anyone ever hack theirs before?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:02:34 PM by Oblivion »

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: PS3 Hacking question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
What firmware version do you have on your PS3? And what model is it? It will be easier if you haven't updated your PS3 in months...

For me it was basically

1) download custom firmware onto SD card
2) select software update from external storage on PS3
3) **** the police

Maybe search for 'custom firmware' guides and leave out the 'hacking' part...?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »
Talk to Morari. He is the local expert on all things having to do with piracy and hacking. In fact, he has the secret PS3 code in his tag line which should open the system up to homebrewing.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
I have the 120GB Slim version. And I have the newest firmware because I play online all the time. I guess I'm fucked, huh?

And I'll send Morari a PM sooner or later. I'm not in a big rush.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:55:48 PM »
And I have the newest firmware because I play online all the time.

If you value playing on PSN I wouldn't recommend trying to hack your PS3 because I'm sure with a custom firmware you probably lose your ability to get on PSN, and also I think if Sony found out they might permanently ban you from PSN. I guess the best way to go about it is get a second PS3 and do your hacking stuff on that because then you can have the best of both worlds.
is your sanity...

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
Ugh. I'd rather not buy another one. People told me to do that with the Wii. Once I bought another one, I found out I could just unban myself with Gecko OS. >.<

I guess I won't be getting it hacked then. XD I'd rather have some kind of handheld so I could bring it with me wherever I go. I guess I'll change the topic title then.
-------------
So in light of the changed title, how can you hack a 3DS? I heard R4 card before but there are so many different sites to buy them I'm kinda weary about what's trusted and what's not. Anyone ever hack theirs before?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Hacking question (formerly about PS3)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:45:21 PM »
Just a friendly reminder, while hacking and bootleging is okay to discuss, "how tos" on piracy isn't.  Just wanted to mention that before this topic went that way. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »
Is a link to a how to guide okay?

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
i don't recommend for you to hack your 3ds this early in its life span, i have done some research my self and everything is bogus, i recommend you wait at least six month in order to do it safely.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »
Depends.  Does it discuss piracy, how to download illegal ROMs, etc? 
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
A link will be useless, because you can't hack your PS3 if you have higher than the 3.55 System Update. You *could* buy the necessary hardware to downgrade your PS3, but that is a professional job to say the least. If you want a hacked PS3, you'll need to go buy another one. Even if you bought one right now, it will still most likely have 3.55 or lower on it, just make sure to buy it from an obscure place. We have three PS3s at our shop that need the lasers replaced, if you haven't found one by then there's a pretty good chance that at least one will be exploitable. They are older (non-BC) phat consoles though, but if you're interested I can get you a good deal.

If you do come across an exploitable system, this is a good link. As far as I know it doesn't have any piracy related materials in it. Actually installing CFW on your PS3 is about the easiest thing you can ever do.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
That link you gave has a database error.

And thanks alegoicoe.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Talk to Morari. He is the local expert on all things having to do with piracy and hacking. In fact, he has the secret PS3 code in his tag line which should open the system up to homebrewing.

As flattered as I am for the title, I do not condone the use of Sony products... even for hacking. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
My bad, they must be having some issues or got taken down. Anyway, there is currently no way to hack your 3DS, but the DSi is easy enough. If you want a portable homebrew machine though (as in emulators), then a PSP (any version) is your best friend. You don't need to buy any special hardware, just a Memory Stick Pro Duo and a USB cable (both of these usually come with the system). PSP Updates should have all of the info you need if you're interested in that.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
I actually just sold my PSP. Stupidest thing I ever did.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
My bad, they must be having some issues or got taken down. Anyway, there is currently no way to hack your 3DS, but the DSi is easy enough. If you want a portable homebrew machine though (as in emulators), then a PSP (any version) is your best friend. You don't need to buy any special hardware, just a Memory Stick Pro Duo and a USB cable (both of these usually come with the system). PSP Updates should have all of the info you need if you're interested in that.

They have it working on all PSP's now? When I last owned a PSP (in early 2010), only the PSP-1000 and early PSP-2000's  could be hacked. Later PSP-2000's and all PSP-3000's couldn't be hacked yet. I guess it was just a matter of time until that changed.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »
What about the PSP GO?
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »
PSP keys were found when the PS3 was hacked, you can just put the CFW on a USB stick and install it like the PS3 now...unless I've been mislead. I believe it works on the PSP Go as well. I haven't updated (or played) my PSP in years though...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 10:06:18 PM »
Hmmm, it looks like if you're past 6.35 on your PSP you'll need a Pandora Battery to downgrade to 6.35, but if you're like the average PSP user and have never played it, then you'll probably be fine.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 10:09:08 PM »
Hmmm, it looks like if you're past 6.35 on your PSP you'll need a Pandora Battery to downgrade to 6.35, but if you're like the average PSP user and have never played it, then you'll probably be fine.

LOL
is your sanity...

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »
iPad or iPod touch + wii remote.

I find that emulation community to be best.  The giant install base of IOS has led to a great emulator support from the community on the device.  Plus in my experience at least, retro games look soooooo good on those screens.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »
I find that the Pandora is best for general emulation.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 06:14:27 AM »
do you actually own a Pandora?  Excuse my skepticism but they are pretty difficult to acquire.  I would love to hear how well or not well it works though!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »
Actually a Pandora would be the best way to go. A high-end Android phone and a Wiimote (actually a PS3 controller is an even better way to go, no dangling wires) would give better results than an iOS device though. It's simply much easier to find the emulators and install them, put ROMs on the phone, and there's just better emulator support. N64oid runs perfectly with  a Tegra 2, but even on my Thunderbolt's 1ghz Snapdragon most games play with little slowdown. I can't exactly speak on personal experience with the Pandora, but if you check it out online and see videos on YouTube, it is pretty awesome, and was designed exclusively with console/handheld emulation in mind.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »
@brandogg It is encouraging to know that the android platform is taking off like you describe(i  have little experience with those devices but am extremely curious.  I wonder what is the ps1 support like? And how long before a chip comes out for those devices that can handle something like ps2 on a tablet with reasonable battery life and obviously bluetooth control?  Furthermore, what in your opinion would be the best bang for your buck android tablet? High res video, fast for retro gaming, good touch screen. Ive had quite a few problems with using my iPod touch with ubuntu so if I could avoid getting an iPad it would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly I wonder if anyone knows a good resource for some of the PSP emulation stuff.  More specifically I am trying to modify the emulator eboots. I want to be able to let's say bundle a specific piece of software(rom) with an emulator.  And rather than have a bunch of games in the folder have  just one game.  And on start up of that eboot ( masterboy emulator for example) it automatically runs that single rom (pokemon blue for example)and by passes the ass-ugly front end.  Then I would like to change the .png(...?)image to replace the logo that shows up in my Games folder on my PSP (from ugy ugly Masterboy logo) to something like a stock image of the game or a Porygon or whatever.  Given that the size of the average retro emulator is quite small relative to the PSP GO overall hardrive capacity, a seperate emulator packaged for each game is really not an inconvenience if it means i get to avoid gross looking black screens and what not..  Is this even possible? Am I making sense or am I just high? If it is possible what type of programming skills are required to execute this?

Sorry for the long post...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:26:12 AM by leroypantweather »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 11:34:30 AM »
you could create your own pandora, you just have to have psp 1000 and battery, look for a tutorial that shows you what to do once you open the battery.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
do you actually own a Pandora?  Excuse my skepticism but they are pretty difficult to acquire.  I would love to hear how well or not well it works though!

No, I do not. Their first production run was rather short. Sadly, it doesn't seem like anyone knows when they'll be available again. Still, it might be worth looking into as it was designed specially for video game emulation. You'd also get a full Linux desktop with it. Great for remote access to your server, or even just browsing the web and chatting on IRC.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:51:14 AM by Morari »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »
I still maintain that the Xoom is the best tablet out there, but that will change in a few months (Xoom 2, etc). PSX emulation is pretty good, the are a few options to go with, but the only problem with using one on a tablet is here isn't any 3D acceleration on any that I've used, so a larger screen means a slower frame rate since it automatically sizes the video to your resolution. I actually get better performance with my Thunderbolt when it comes to PSX as compared to my Xoom, but with N64oid the Xoom outpaces the T'bolt with ease. You'd probably find vest all around performance with say an HTC Flyer, since it has a smaller resolution and a 1.5Ghz CPU (single core, but not too many games or apps are optimized for dual core yet). As far as your PSP queries...it sou ds like you have some good ideas, but I haven't kept up with it in a long time. I remember there was an NES emulator for Dreamcast that let you make single game discs, and nesDS has this option too I believe. I used to make custom icons and bat files for MAME shortcuts to boot individual Mortal Kombat ROMs.

Offline leroypantweather

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »
sorry for the late response thanks for the recommendations, I am still working on the same thing with my PSP. What you described with the Dreamcast sounds spot on to what I am trying to do. I've gotten to where I can open up the eboot emulators source code in a text editor.  However I  have like no knowledge of programming so I am at a standstill.  My options as I see it, find a way to outsource this little code I need, learn some  of C( whichever the emulator is programmed in), or try to compare the code with the Dreamcast auto booting emulator with the psp one of the same system and see if I can figure it out by stroke of blind luck and googling.    :(

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
I remember there was an NES emulator for Dreamcast that let you make single game discs, and nesDS has this option too I believe.

Not just NES, even. I have full game libraries for NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME, and GeamGear on individual discs for my Dreamcast. Of course, I couldn't tell you what emulator each is using, or the process of creating them... it's been so long. :\

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
For me it was basically

1) download custom firmware onto SD card
2) select software update from external storage on PS3
3) **** the police

Best. Directions. Ever.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »
Also great news for anyone with a PS3 that shipped with firmware 3.55 or lower, but now has 3.70 - there is a USB based flasher (solderless for Slim, soldering required for Phat) that will downgrade from 3.70 to whatever you want (just keep in mind that you can't put a lower firmware on your PS3 than it shipped with), so unhackable PS3s are now hackable again.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »
I thought all PS3s were made hackable forever due to the cracking of the key thing which is in Morari's tagline? I remember at the time everyone was saying it was a big deal because it made the PS3 permanently hackable and that there was nothing Sony could do about it. Is that no longer the case? Did Sony figure out a way to fix that despite what everyone said at the time?
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
They did. Actually what they did was make some new keys, then arrest and sue everyone who would be able to figure out how to get around this obstacle. It's still maintained that if you have a 3.55 or earlier console, then you can potentially keep cracking your system, but no one has released a functioning firmware for anything higher than 3.55. This is most likely due to SONY's bullying of home developers more than anything else. There are many people that know how to created and sign newer firmwares, and get them installed on your console, but if they release the tools, they'll get arrested and/or sued.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
And this is why I've decided not to hack my system. Nintendo is a lot nicer about all of this. Though I didn't see Sony complaining about all the hacked PSPs.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 10:22:09 PM »
Because the PSP has been dead for about 7 years. They never did much about PS2 hacking either, that's been around since Unreal Tournament was released for PS2.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »
They did. Actually what they did was make some new keys, then arrest and sue everyone who would be able to figure out how to get around this obstacle. It's still maintained that if you have a 3.55 or earlier console, then you can potentially keep cracking your system, but no one has released a functioning firmware for anything higher than 3.55. This is most likely due to SONY's bullying of home developers more than anything else. There are many people that know how to created and sign newer firmwares, and get them installed on your console, but if they release the tools, they'll get arrested and/or sued.

I see. But couldn't they just release it anonymously? They could just upload it somewhere and never reveal who they are. I suppose that would suck though because people have egos and want to be credited for things like that, but at least it would be impossible for Sony to sue them because no one would know who they are.
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
Sony sues the owners of the websites they are uploaded to and force them to turn over the info. At least I think they could do that.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 11:13:07 PM »
They could upload it on bittorrent or some peer to peer thing like that.
is your sanity...

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »
I see. But couldn't they just release it anonymously? They could just upload it somewhere and never reveal who they are. I suppose that would suck though because people have egos and want to be credited for things like that, but at least it would be impossible for Sony to sue them because no one would know who they are.

From what I've seen on the internet nobody has an ego like these guys.  They will make a million mods and give them out for free but when someone tries to make a mod compilation they go apeshit because their name was accidently left out or they just refuse to allow it in there just because.  They care about this stuff so much it is ridiculous.  It is all to stroke their ego as they try to invoke copyright laws they otherwise don't care about despite the fact that they were created to allow people to make money, not protect the things they give away for free.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »
A couple of them have big egos, but the real talented people do not. The ones with the big egos are typically the ones that do things which lead directly to piracy.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
So...GeoHot?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
Isn't allowed to touch a PS3, basically. He works for facebook now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 04:38:45 PM »
What? What could he possibly be doing?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »
Maybe programming? I am not sure, no one has confirmed exactly what he is doing at Facebook other than he is employed by them now (and supposedly has been since May).

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:19 PM »
Maybe he hacks the website so then they can fix security loopholes in the website?