Author Topic: IGN up for sale  (Read 10115 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
IGN up for sale
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
It's being reported that News Corporation is working with investment bank Allen & Co. to sell IGN (after a year of failing to find buyers). The Wall Street Journal (which is also owned by News Corp.) expects IGN to be sold for $100 million (come on NWR, you have that kind of money, ;) ). This is far less than the $650 million News Corp. paid for it back in 2005. Don't forget that News Corp. also bought Myspace for $580 million in 2005 and sold it last year for only $35 million. Some of the interested parties include Break Media (which owns break.com and ScreenJunkies) and SAY Media (which owns sites like Dogster).
[/size]
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-16-ign-going-up-for-auction?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=us-daily
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: IGN up for sale
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 01:57:45 PM »
That site has really gone downhill, IMO.
Guess the business valuators agree.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:41:18 PM »
Who wants to do a Kickstarter to buy it?  :P
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
IGN destroyed itself by putting out low value content.  They need to fire the majority of people working there and start over.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »

actually with NWR's clout, I think it could be pulled off. I'm in lol.  we could make a division thats me, blacknmild, stogi, and easycure
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »

actually with NWR's clout, I think it could be pulled off. I'm in lol.  we could make a division thats me, blacknmild, stogi, and easycure
Shinji could run the Microsoft section.  He'd need an editor though as I'd be afraid of the articles he'd write with his smart phone.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »
Who wants to do a Kickstarter to buy it?  :P: :

I'd chip in.

Stretch goal: We fire anyone who's ever been featured on @igndotcom, or at least the one responsible for "Our frothing demand for this game increases".

(Though I'd probably fire that guy + the guy who decided to kill PSP coverage, merge the rest of them into 1up and shut the whole thing down.)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
I've been wondering what the hell the Wii/WiiU guys have been doing for two years. No way that's been full time work for quite some time. I think it's pretty clear that having dilineated tribal content channels doesn't make sense at this point.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 11:32:32 PM »
Hopefully News Corp has to sell Faux News soon too, then someone buys it and burns it to the ground.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 11:44:41 PM »
LOL, who would have thought the one of the few things Brandogg and I agree on are politics?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »
For me alot of it had to do with not only low quality content but also with the personalities of the people who headed up the various teams. There are a handful of people working at IGN who actually know what they're talking about and fewer still who come across as likeable. Their coverage and discussion of Nintendo is just embarrassing when compared to the content put out NWR.
Gouge away.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 04:33:20 AM »
IGN has had how many different owners now?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 05:18:34 AM »
Just 2, actually. The original owners (who changer their names a few times) from 1995 to 2005, then News Corp. from 2005 to present.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »
Who wants to do a Kickstarter to buy it?  :P:

While I know this was a joke, perhaps NWR could team up with Sony, Microsoft and PC equivalent  of NWR-esque websites and buy out IGN... that's only $25 Million each. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:46:57 AM »
Just 2, actually. The original owners (who changer their names a few times) from 1995 to 2005, then News Corp. from 2005 to present.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one other. I can't help but think Viacom was one of them...

Offline AnGer

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure there was at least one other. I can't help but think Viacom was one of them...

Nope. According to wikipedia, a site named Snowball.com was interested in buying in, but the deal was broken off when they got flushed away after the .com-bubble burst.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:40:47 AM »
I believe the Wikipedia information is incomplete.  From the looks of these articles, Snowball.com actually did own them for a period.

http://www.zdnet.com/news/ign-com-will-buy-the-vault-network/103354
http://news.cnet.com/Snowball.com-makes-modest-debut/2100-12_3-265161.html

And before that, the company actually broke off from Imagine Publishing altogether.

http://vipy.co.uk/ign/2

Looks like I'm always right about everything, as usual :smug:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »
Snowball definitely owned IGN for a while, I remember seeing snowball all over IGN back in the GameCube days.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
I think they are still related to IGN somehow, "snowball.com" redirects to IGN's corporate website.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
Poor 1up. Those guys can't win for anything.
IGN has been a disaster for a while. They market to a weird segment of gamers and definitely hit the lowest common denominator thing super hard. Also, their articles are not always well written. Not from a subjective "I don't agree with their review" thing, but in a "this article does not have any consistent flow" and "some major editing needed to be done to this preview" sort of way.
All that said, Murdoch wanting to sell off IGN probably has nothing to do with any of that. It's just that video game reporting sites are sort of losers. Since you can't do any sort of actual investigative work or "hard" journalism or whatever so much of your content is out of their hands. They are at the mercy of publishers. If a website wanted to do things without help from publishers they would end up way behind on everything. They couldn't get previews or early review copies. They wouldn't have access to developers or be able to get help from PR people on any sort of issues.
On top of that the way people consume info is different and some of the major gaming sites might just be a bit too big. If most of your content is just previews and reviews maybe you don't need so many staffers and so much money. You're just publishing videos the publishers sent you anyway.
So it's never really surprising when these sites go down a bit.
(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:58 PM »

Since you can't do any sort of actual investigative work or "hard" journalism or whatever so much of your content is out of their hands. They are at the mercy of publishers. If a website wanted to do things without help from publishers they would end up way behind on everything. They couldn't get previews or early review copies. They wouldn't have access to developers or be able to get help from PR people on any sort of issues.

On top of that the way people consume info is different and some of the major gaming sites might just be a bit too big. If most of your content is just previews and reviews maybe you don't need so many staffers and so much money. You're just publishing videos the publishers sent you anyway.

I completely agree. I think that's why I really like Giantbomb, because those guys have deliberately moved away from the traditional previews/reviews/features model and have instead focused on having a voice, putting out great video content and building a community.
Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
IGN has been a disaster for a while. They market to a weird segment of gamers and definitely hit the lowest common denominator thing super hard. Also, their articles are not always well written. Not from a subjective "I don't agree with their review" thing, but in a "this article does not have any consistent flow" and "some major editing needed to be done to this preview" sort of way.
All that said, Murdoch wanting to sell off IGN probably has nothing to do with any of that. It's just that video game reporting sites are sort of losers. Since you can't do any sort of actual investigative work or "hard" journalism or whatever so much of your content is out of their hands. They are at the mercy of publishers. If a website wanted to do things without help from publishers they would end up way behind on everything. They couldn't get previews or early review copies. They wouldn't have access to developers or be able to get help from PR people on any sort of issues.

Since when has NewsCorp had any desire to do real journalism?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:07 PM »
Well said. I agree with all o this.
I would also get a kind of sick glee out of seeing a few IGN staffers get shitcannned because the parent company realized they don't actually do anything but post regurgitated content.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline CM30

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo 3DS Community
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
I think the reason the site's being sold is that it wasn't particularly profitable, I've heard some people say it cost a fortune to run and didn't make enough of it back from advertising.

Of course, much of that's probably due to them trying to expand too quickly and hiring too many people who don't know what they're doing.  Maybe if they cut back a bit the site might both improve the quality of its content and manage to turn a decent profit.
Nintendo 3DS Community, my forum

Long time Nintendo fan, Mario fan game player and writer.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »

Since when has NewsCorp had any desire to do real journalism?

Since when does the rule enforcer think he is above the law?

DIRTY INSANOLORDS DON'T THINK THE RULES DONT APPLY TO THEM