Author Topic: The SciFi channel hates good shows.  (Read 5172 times)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
The SciFi channel hates good shows.
« on: August 24, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »
There will be no 11th season of Stargate: SG-1 on SciFi.  I'm sure they need the space in the schedule for more wrestling.

Why do I even pay for cable?

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The SciFi channel hates good shows.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »
Ha ha ha, while wrestling may be sucky, 11 seasons seems like a lot!  Most of the shows I like wind up cancelled within three seasons.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 10:04:45 AM »
I won't really mind if they actually close things up properly, but that seems unlikely judging by the producers' insistence that this isn't the end.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 10:18:17 AM »
The Sci-Fi channel died when Mystery Science Theater went off the air...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Anon_Emus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 10:23:53 AM »
EUReKa is an interesting show, and "Who wants to be a Superhero?" is sooo bad its kinda entertaining.

I can only imagine how bad the made for SciFi super hero movie will turn out for the winner of that horrible show.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »
I love Eureka, it's like a comedy version of The X-Files, but still serious when it needs to be.

It's the only thing on Sci-Fi that I watch, unless there is absolutely nothing else on all the other channels we have, including HBO and such.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:The SciFi channel hates good shows.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 11:37:55 AM »

Originally posted by: nitsu niflheim
I love Eureka, it's like a comedy version of The X-Files, but still serious when it needs to be.

It's the only thing on Sci-Fi that I watch, unless there is absolutely nothing else on all the other channels we have, including HBO and such.

Well I enjoy who Wants to be a Superhero, one of the only reality shows I watch. IN addition to that I watch ECW, Eureka, Battlestar Galactica, and Stargate Atlantis. If I want to watch a cheesy movie I also watch sci-fi's made for TV movies.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 11:50:24 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
The Sci-Fi channel died when Mystery Science Theater went off the air...

Preech it!

They used to be great when they firsted started out with MST3K in the roster and when screening older sci-fi flicks was the norm... instead of when today when they started producing their own dreck like "Python 2".

How that station is even around anymore boggles my mind.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 07:11:35 PM »
MST3K -- Never Forget
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 07:14:44 PM »
It's all about the LEECHES, BEECHEZ
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 07:39:09 PM »
On the bright side, they'll be airing the second season of Doctor Who soon.

MST3K -- Never Forget

It's just a show, you should really just relax. best show ever. I don't know the history, but if it was scifi's fault that the show was cancelled after a couple of years on their network, I will be forced to hate them forever.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 08:19:40 PM »
They say Atlantis is higher rated than SG-1. Personally, I think it was a mistake to remove the go'uld as the main enemy and bring in the priors. I'm really just bored with the story line. That and having Richard Dean Anderson leave for behind the scene stuff. His personality really meant alot for the show. The 100th show was just that much more entertaining due to his presence. Ditto for the Atlantis episode that followed.

CNN also reported that the producing company is shopping the series around to other networks as they feel there is still life in it. 'Course, that may be because after 10 years the action figures are hoping off the assembly line. There are other rumors of another Stargate spinoff. And I'm waiting with baited breath for another Stargate movie.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 09:54:05 PM »

Originally posted by: wandering
I don't know the history, but if it was scifi's fault that the show was cancelled after a couple of years on their network, I will be forced to hate them forever.

The show was cancelled by the Sci-Fi channel after they picked it up, but it got a solid ending at least in 1999, with a great final episode that had a grand closure yet still felt like a normal old fun time one comes to expect from the series (the movie was Diabolik). Sci-Fi actually kept the show on their channel as reruns for five more years, before finally pulling it in 2004. To their credit, that was a huge amount of time to keep the show on given that they could only rerun their three seasons of it... although it would have been even better had they allowed more new episodes to have been filmed.  

As a side note, I found this classic in respects to this:

"When the series finale aired, the Sci Fi Channel had an official IRC chat with Mike Nelson, Bill Corbett, and Kevin Murphy. When asked by fans if they should stop watching the Sci Fi Channel after MST3K's cancellation, Kevin Murphy responded "YES STOP WATCHING!! NOW!!!" before the moderators could respond."  
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 04:46:16 AM »
Sci-Fi does this a lot.  Farscape had only 1 more season to wrap it up and a huge cult following.  They had an agreement to do the last season even then they canned it.  The Chronicle.  The Invisible Man was popular with people who weren't normally Sci-Fi watchers.  What did they replace it with?  Tremors the Series.  Why in the world did that movie ever need a series?

I think once you get to a certain popularity level Sci-Fi cans you.  The thing with Stargate was that it came in above the line so the if statement missed it.  I think this news is funny especially considering they just changed their logo to a Little Stargate can make anything happen or something like that it seemed.  Oh well.  Sci-Fi the Channel that loves to Shoot itself in the foot.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 05:47:07 AM »
When SciFi canceled Farscape for being too popular, the Internets told me it had to do with new leadership at the parent company that had some kind of personal problem with Farscape in particular and science fiction in general.  This coincided with a sudden shift in focus at SciFi from, well, scifi to paranormal crap.  I don't know how much of those rumors were true, but the paranormal crap all over SciFi was definitely crappy.  It's become less prominent since then, thankfully.

Stargate SG-1 was the one show I liked on SciFi that seemed immune to its horrible tendency to cancel anything too successful, but I think I know why it finally succumbed.  The show was fairly cheap to produce thanks to the plot device of the Stargate, but recently it had shifted to a more space opera feel, which required more special effects.  Expensive effects were the biggest excuse used to kill Farscape.  After all, the network can make a much larger return on investment spending ten dollars an episode to have plumbers videotape swirling dust clouds in the dark or by letting several people humiliate themselves by wearing pajamas and pretending to be superheroes.  I guess the only reason Atlantis didn't suffer the same fate is that it has higher ratings at the moment.  The ratings drop probably had a lot to do with MacGuyver leaving, along with  other cast changes, which is unfair.  Claudia Black is a great addition, and Ben Browder is starting to come into his own in spite of some rough spots as they tried to establish his character.  I can understand why some people don't like the plot changes, but I'm enjoying the ride.  Personally, I was getting bored with the show because it never seemed to move forward.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 07:18:53 AM »
The Sci-Fi channel needs to pick up the second season of SURFACE! The best sci-fi show i've ever seen, and the first season left without really finishing anything.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 11:58:35 AM »
I think Sci-Fi's biggest blunder was canning Farscape when they did.  I loved that show, watched it every week.  The Peacekeeper Chronicles movie to finish of the series was really good, and brought some much-needed closure to the whole thing.

I never liked watching Stargate, especially now since they just transplanted half the Farscape cast into MacGuyver's spot.

Sci-Fi, what can't you be cool again?
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
Dear Sci-Fi. Ressurect Firefly. Thank you.

/wears a brown coat

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 10:07:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
Dear Sci-Fi. Ressurect Firefly. Thank you.

/wears a brown coat

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Firefly was such a cool show, I hope they resurrect that and Invasion. Maybe if they are feeling extra nice they can resurrect Threshold too!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 06:21:34 AM »

Originally posted by: WindyMan

I never liked watching Stargate, especially now since they just transplanted half the Farscape cast into MacGuyver's spot.

Richard Dean Anderson says: That show was so stupid. "Oh, I'm MacGuyver! I can make a bomb out of a banana peel and a toaster!" That show was just a paycheck for me and nothing more.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 02:56:32 PM »
After the Movie I don't think you CAN bring back Firefly.  They killed off some of the more interesting characters and it just get all moody all the time sense they're dead.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:52 PM »
Huh? They just killed off some tertiary characters... all the main characters are still there!

But yeah, the movie resolved some big issues, they'd need to come up with some new tensions if they revived it.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 11:08:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
After the Movie I don't think you CAN bring back Firefly.  They killed off some of the more interesting characters and it just get all moody all the time sense they're dead.

Man, have you ever seen a Joss Whedon show? That dude brought characters back from the dead (or alternate hell dimensions) all the time. I would bet cash money we would see those who departed in Serenity again, were a sequel of some sorts be made.

I don't like discussing this topic anymore. It hurts too much.  

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »
Sci-Fi has Battlestar, so it has some worth.

Battlestar beats all.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2006, 11:24:47 AM »
In it's late at night time slot.