Author Topic: Do you still use a Tablet?  (Read 7295 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Do you still use a Tablet?
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/12/05/the-slow-uninteresting-death-of-android-tablets-is-unfolding-and-it-is-no-ones-fault/

I wound up digging up my Galaxy Note 8.0 because it has infrared support which means I could use it to program my Universal Remote. It's larger screen and Samsung's Multi Window stuff has since given it a bit of a niche as a device for Web Browsing at home. However even with it's resurgence in use the Note is definitely showing it's age I have absolutely no interest in replacing it when I can just get a decent Laptop for the same price that will fill the same use and more.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Do you still use a Tablet?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
I know something that's coming out, that'll put the tablet market on its head.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:10:42 PM »
Heck ya I still love my Gal Tab 3. No smart phone so it comes in handy many many times plus I feel like Cap'n Picard. Don't care what the haters say about techmology dying off or sales falling; not my problem.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »
No.  But I've been in the market for one to satisfy my comic book reading needs.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 09:08:04 PM »
I use my iPad all the time, both when I'm in parts of my house away from my computer and as a second screen while I'm also on my computer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »
Nope but then I've never owned a tablet either. Never seen the need for it. But I'm not a huge tech user either. Last year, I finally replaced my iPhone 3 which I'd had for about 6-7 years with an iPhone 4S. Man, look at me go. Upgrading like crazy!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline rygar

• NWR's #1 soccer fan!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 09:42:45 PM »
I inherited my wife's old iPad which I really liked for streaming video and reading but it's not really working anymore. I have a 6+ that is pretty good for streaming so I'm probably just going to get a new phone and turn that into a tablet. I don't like using it with one hand much anyway. I'd actually like a tablet for reading, but I don't find what I'd use one for worth the price.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
Nope but then I've never owned a tablet either. Never seen the need for it. But I'm not a huge tech user either. Last year, I finally replaced my iPhone 3 which I'd had for about 6-7 years with an iPhone 4S. Man, look at me go. Upgrading like crazy!

Did you mean an iPhone 3G? or an iPhone 3GS?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 03:50:40 AM »
Never had a tablet and likely never will. Got a desktop doing the heavy lifting, an iPhone for the on the go stuff and I don't play Mobile games. If I want to play on the go I take a real machine like a 3DS.

I have a laptop now, but that's for work and I can't imagine trying to use a tablet for work it doesn't work.

!??!?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »

3G, I guess. I remember there was an updated phone which had a compass app added to the main list of apps on the iPhone main menu. I think that was done for the 3GS which came after I bought my phone because I didn't have that compass app on mine.

I had kept the thing in good shape. It was only last year that I finally had an issue with it. It felt out of my backpack (the only man-purse still accepted by all of society) in the parking lot at my work. I didn't realize this until later when I was home. So, I went back and found it. This was in the winter time so it had been covered a bit in snow. After I found it, I put it up against the heat blowing from the air vents in my car to warm it up a bit. Then I checked to see if it was working. It was except a small tear formed in the bottom of the LCD screen. Eventually, this lead to some dead pixilation along the bottom part of the screen. Even with the tear, it would still work though. I could still slide to unlock the phone and if I clicked the bottom right corner where the Music app is it would still open up even though I couldn't really see the app itself.

This problem led me to finally decide to upgrade. I just didn't really feel like being locked in to another phone contract though after my first experience with the iPhone so I was looking to just outright buy another one. However, my parents had recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 and my mother no longer needed her iPhone 4S. They had been thinking of selling it off locally through Kijiji or Craigslist but it needed to be unlocked. For the cost of doing that, it didn't seem worth really selling it. So, I said I'd take it and pay for the unlocking of it. And that's how I moved on to my iPhone 4S.

It's a shame though because I really liked rocking the iPhone 3. I kept that thing in pristine condition and that was the only time I had something go wrong with it and if it wasn't for that issue, I'd probably still be using it. Part of my wonders about looking in to getting the screen fixed and still using it but it seems that parts are hard to come by for it now and the price would be quite high according to the Apple store so I haven't bothered and just use it as an iPod for work now. And now you know my iPhone history.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »
Never. Pretty much use the phone for most web browsing. Rarely use my laptop either, since I work all day writing code.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 06:16:22 PM »
Never had a tablet and likely never will. Got a desktop doing the heavy lifting, an iPhone for the on the go stuff and I don't play Mobile games. If I want to play on the go I take a real machine like a 3DS.

I have a laptop now, but that's for work and I can't imagine trying to use a tablet for work it doesn't work.

!??!?

You're not buying a Switch?

In the Switch video they never go much into how it is also a tablet, but the hardware is all there.

Unless, there is no touch or no multi-touch, but I thought touch got confirmed. Drop the joy cons and it switches into a tablet. There may be a ton of touch games, and it still might be able to broadcast to the tv(with less power) like a reverse wii u controller.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 07:06:59 PM »

3G, I guess. I remember there was an updated phone which had a compass app added to the main list of apps on the iPhone main menu. I think that was done for the 3GS which came after I bought my phone because I didn't have that compass app on mine.

I had kept the thing in good shape. It was only last year that I finally had an issue with it. It felt out of my backpack (the only man-purse still accepted by all of society) in the parking lot at my work. I didn't realize this until later when I was home. So, I went back and found it. This was in the winter time so it had been covered a bit in snow. After I found it, I put it up against the heat blowing from the air vents in my car to warm it up a bit. Then I checked to see if it was working. It was except a small tear formed in the bottom of the LCD screen. Eventually, this lead to some dead pixilation along the bottom part of the screen. Even with the tear, it would still work though. I could still slide to unlock the phone and if I clicked the bottom right corner where the Music app is it would still open up even though I couldn't really see the app itself.

This problem led me to finally decide to upgrade. I just didn't really feel like being locked in to another phone contract though after my first experience with the iPhone so I was looking to just outright buy another one. However, my parents had recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 and my mother no longer needed her iPhone 4S. They had been thinking of selling it off locally through Kijiji or Craigslist but it needed to be unlocked. For the cost of doing that, it didn't seem worth really selling it. So, I said I'd take it and pay for the unlocking of it. And that's how I moved on to my iPhone 4S.

It's a shame though because I really liked rocking the iPhone 3. I kept that thing in pristine condition and that was the only time I had something go wrong with it and if it wasn't for that issue, I'd probably still be using it. Part of my wonders about looking in to getting the screen fixed and still using it but it seems that parts are hard to come by for it now and the price would be quite high according to the Apple store so I haven't bothered and just use it as an iPod for work now. And now you know my iPhone history.

I had an iPhone 4 for a long time, but I kinda stopped using my phone for most things.  When I finally upgraded, I realized that I wasn't using my phone for entertainment because it had become slow and cumbersome to use.

With that said, I wonder how much you were using your 3G.  Like, as just a phone and an iPod? or for social media and other stuff?  What firmware were you using?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 08:12:26 PM »
I have an ipad 2 I use all the time for video and light internet syrfing.  I really like the feel of laying on the couch and browsing.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 08:51:15 PM »
Definitely. Use it to beat poor people away who have Zunes.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
You're not buying a Switch?

In the Switch video they never go much into how it is also a tablet, but the hardware is all there.

Unless, there is no touch or no multi-touch, but I thought touch got confirmed. Drop the joy cons and it switches into a tablet. There may be a ton of touch games, and it still might be able to broadcast to the tv(with less power) like a reverse wii u controller.
I am likely buying one eventually, just not "LAUNCH". I am looking for those games I really want. I almost regret buying a WiiU since I don't play it at all and it barely has enough games to justify the purchase. 3DS games have run out of steam, so that is unplayed, however I am satisfied with what I got out of it.

I am just going to be more patient this time round.

Definitely. Use it to beat poor people away who have Zunes.
They self-own everyday they use one so the beatings redundant unless you are putting them out of their misery.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 01:00:21 AM »
oohhboy, if you're looking to buy some Wii U games periodically check Toys R Us bargain bins. They had some sales there, and I was able to get some pretty decent games for pretty decent prices. With Wii U getting cleared out, now would be a good time to look for games. A few of these games were not games I would normally play. I was never really interested in Call of Duty or Assassins Creed, but at $8 each I decided why not? Good choice. Most people hate Call of Duty:Ghosts,but it might be oddly appealing to a Nintendo fan. I bought another better reviewed one, but did not enjoy it as much. Assassin's Creed Black Flag is going to be fun for anyone who likes Zelda. Again, I bought ACIII too, but it wasn't up my alley. Never have I ever had such a good luck rate with the bargain bin.

I had a Wii, and was in the same boat as you. I bought it near launch and then never got that many games for it. My shelf is more blue than white.

If you have a ps4 or an xbox one or even an xbox360 or ps3, than some of these games are likely better on other systems.

Still, it's bargain bin time. You might be able to justify the Wii U. I bought my bargain games mid generation, I bet there might be more gems floating around now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 01:22:45 AM »
I don't look at WiiU games if there is a Steam version where I can play that game at 1080p or above at max details on a PC. So anything multi-platform is out.

Actually I am dumb. I have a copy of Metroid Prime 3 for the Wii I never brought I can stick into the WiiU. Or since I own it, I can get an ISO and play it on Dolphin at 1080p/60 with the same motion controls.

I am not sure I can go back to Xenoblade X after burning out even though I sank 80 hours into it. I still remember how to play it so that part isn't hard.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 01:36:25 AM »
I picked up a bluetooth keyboard folio style deal. Between that and the multiscreen stuff my old tablet has become a nice little web browsing device.

edit: Now I have SwiftKey set up so I can use it's word prediction system with the nice Bluetooth keyboard, oh that is really nice.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:12:53 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 02:57:02 AM »
Also the bargain bins here for Nintendo stuff is a joke. It's not much better for the other systems either with only the most worthless of stuff having any real discount. If you have the ability to go digital, you are far better served there waiting for a discount than to waste gas digging bins.

The discounts on the WiiU shop are modest and small compared to Steam, but they beat the bargain bins. The shops are just that bad. Our local copy of ebay sells new games for the same as those bins. You may find the odd gem but anything good would have been taken by the employees. It is just not worth the time.

Err, oh right tablets. they are in the same weird space like "Netbooks" had in relation to PC and laptops. Too small to do work comfortably or to watch media. Not enough features or any ability to improve on. Too low powered which very much limited it's life span coupled often with a too heavy OS. The form factor isn't the best for those "Sitting" moments. The small size didn't improve battery life over a laptop. The controls aren't that great.

Tablets do have some advantages that the netbooks never had. A much more efficient OS. A form factor that is reasonable to consume media on an individual basis. An interface generally designed for it. While not powerful CPU wise, it contains relatively efficient and robust video decoders, good for media consumption. A larger screen. Significant portions of the big sites have interfaces versions for mobile/tablets in mind.

But no, I wouldn't ever work with one nor play games and I don't consider Candy Crush or whatever war world to be games. There are edge cases as always, but tables are consumption devices.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 03:54:17 AM »
With that said, I wonder how much you were using your 3G.  Like, as just a phone and an iPod? or for social media and other stuff?  What firmware were you using?

I didn't own a cell phone up to that point and I had been looking at getting an iPod so it made sense to blend the two together. So, yes, it was mainly used as an iPod which I could text with and phone with. At the time, the idea of apps and all these things you could do on your phone like play movies and TV shows was very big. People were excited about stuff like Shazam and all that. That had an appeal to me as well when purchasing it but, after getting a few apps, my interest waned in that. There was just so many and it was like the 3rd party wall of shame Pro would post on here with so much junk obscuring the good plus the app shop seemed to be a mess to navigate that I just stopped bothering after a time. Plus, it just seemed I could use Safari to look up something up rather than bother with some app. Never bought any games for it because compared to what I could play on my DS, they just seemed inferior. I suppose when Super Mario Run gets released, that will be the first cell phone game I get. I'm curious to see what Nintendo does with the Mobile world of gaming yet I'm still kind of unsure if it will really be worth playing. I just don't have a high opinion of mobile games.

Don't use social media. I'm not on FaceBook or Twitter or Instagram or whatever else social media most likely consists of. Other things I will use my phone for though is the weather app. Use the calculator here and there when I need it. Taking a picture or a video here and there. I use the notes section for reminders of things I need to get done or as a shopping list when buying groceries. Used the map app for awhile but it just became faster and easier to use Safari and Google and look up addresses that way. Again, just having the internet and setting up multiple pages to stay on certain websites took the place of apps.

(Even then, I'm not a big internet user. A few years back, I moved to a new place but I didn't get the internet hooked up right away. Part of me wondered if I even needed it. I don't do a lot of internet surfing so I questioned why I was even paying for it when I could just look some stuff up on my phone (or at work ;) ) I went 3 full months without before finally calling a company a getting it hooked. What I found is that with my Wii U, 3DS, and phone, they need the internet or an internet connection to keep updated. Plus, having an iPhone 3 probably wasn't the greatest thing for internet surfing. However, once I got the internet, I decided to make some better use out of it by letting it fill my TV needs and no longer subscribe to internet and cable. I still don't like how much the internet costs though. With tax, its $84.00 a month and I think my internet company has been slowly raising the cost over the past year so that is it at least $6.00 more than I was paying. I should look it up and double check one of these days. Since I'm not on a contract with them, I can always quit and take a cheaper offer somewhere else I suppose or maybe I should just downgrade my plan. I hardly ever come close to using the amount of data I'm allowed each month.)

Now where was I? Oh, yes! Phone usage. Yeah, aside from taking the occasional picture, texting/ checking the weather, using the alarm app (since my alarm clock died over a year ago), writing some notes to myself, occasionally using the calculator, it's mainly about playing music or doing a quick internet search for directions or some information when I'm out and about. The heaviest I used the phone was last year when I was on vacation. I was checking in on the forums and then ended up being asked to take over as host for the Safe Words game Triforce Hermit had been running. So, I did while also searching for information on things in the city I was visiting and keeping track of my plane tickets and hotel bookings. The iPhone could start to get pretty warm from some of the heavy internet usage I was putting it through. Got pretty close to using up all my phone data that month. In fact, I may have even gone over it a bit. Can't remember now. Guess the same thing happened this year while I was hosting Safe Words 10. It was taking longer than expected so I had to keep hosting it a bit while I went on vacation as well. However, I was staying out in the countryside where I couldn't get a very strong internet signal and knew that would be the case so I didn't try to use my phone much like I did last year. Usually would check in for a little bit in the morning when I got up or else when I was going to bed to keep some progress going and that was good enough for me since I was on holidays and it felt suspiciously like work.

Anyways, I feel like I've been revealing way too much about myself freely online so that's the end of my participation in this thread. I answered the original question with a no and a brief explanation why. That's good enough! Now let me be and quit hounding with your insatiable curiosity!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
My wife has an ipad and she uses it regularly.  The most I had ever used it was to play tiny wings on.  Ever since I've had a touchscreen phone, I haven't seen the utility in the tablet as much, as it met my mobile computing needs without much issue. Especially with phones getting larger, it's become less of a selling point to have one.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 02:16:23 AM »
My wife has an ipad and she uses it regularly.  The most I had ever used it was to play tiny wings on.  Ever since I've had a touchscreen phone, I haven't seen the utility in the tablet as much, as it met my mobile computing needs without much issue. Especially with phones getting larger, it's become less of a selling point to have one.

When I was in school the Note 8.0 wound up serving as my primary mobile computing device. I used it as an organization tool, I would write out school papers on it and then transfer it to a computer to fix whatever formatting issues it had, once the school started using Google docs for stuff I wound up using it for that.

Shortly after I graduated from High School I purchased a Moto G because I figured as long as I had the Tablet doing the heavy lifting for me i only needed a phone for playing music and making phone calls. However the shortcomings of relying on multiple devices began to become readily apparent to me I was forced to try to use my phone as more of an all in one device. The Moto G worked well when I was using it as a companion device but when I tried to use it as more of an all in one device it's limitations in screen size and memory (The SD card model only has like 3gb of storage available to the user) made it ill suited for that kind of thing. In theory every modern smartphone could essentially be used as a phablet but this doesn't really work out in practice.

The Blackberry Priv managed to prove much more effective at playing phablet to the point that I legitimately hadn't even touched my tablet in over a year before I dug it out so I could use it's IR blaster to program a universal remote. Then I played around with it a bit and decided to bring it back into the fold as an at home web browsing device (mostly due to the fact that that the Note 8.0 supports multiwindow.) The Note 8.0 has found itself a bit of a second life after all but that's more to the credit of it's own capabilities (I don't own a PC so having a device that lets me watch YouTube videos while I browse the web is really freaking nice.) then to the fact that it's a Tablet.