Author Topic: DS Lite Dominates June Sales  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
DS Lite Dominates June Sales
« on: July 14, 2006, 12:47:16 PM »
Nintendo touts DS as the top-selling game system in the U.S.  Software sales for Mario, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, and even Nintendogs also spiked.

Nintendo News: Nintendo DS Becomes America's Top-Selling Video Game System    

In a triumph for innovation, the dual-screen Nintendo DS(TM) portable   became America's top-selling video game system of any type in June, according   to independent sales numbers just released by the NPD Group. The introduction   of the new DS Lite version, featuring a smaller profile and more brilliant   display, boosted total sales to nearly 600,000 units, almost double that for   any other game device, and alone represented more than a third of total   industry system purchases for the month.    

Beyond the unique technical coupling of dual screens, a touch screen, a   microphone and seamless Wi-Fi play, DS popularity also is being propelled by a   unique mix of software that appeals equally to mainstream players and those   new to the category. "New Super Mario Bros.(R)" was the industry's top-selling   game for the second month in a row, with purchases of more than 450,000 units,   while groundbreaking titles "Brain Age(TM): Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day"   and "Big Brain Academy(TM)" combined to sell nearly 350,000 units. In   addition, the unique "Nintendogs(TM)" titles combined to sell more than   100,000 units, 10 months after their introduction.    

Nintendo(R) Wi-Fi Connection, a wireless gaming network exclusive to   Nintendo DS, also now has achieved participation by 1.7 million discreet users   worldwide in just eight months, an adoption rate far higher than any other   game-play network to date.   There's currently a variety of Wi-Fi games to   choose from including "Metroid Prime Hunters," "Tetris DS," "Animal Crossing:   Wild World" and "Mario Kart DS," with "Star Fox Command DS," "Mario vs. Donkey   Kong 2: March of the Minis" and "Clubhouse Games" launching in the months   ahead.  At 1.7 million people strong, if the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection   community were a city, it would be the fifth largest in the United States,   larger even than Philadelphia, Phoenix or San Diego.    

"Nintendo DS is the only game system available a year ago that showed   growth over the same period, and it did so in overwhelming fashion, with a   leap of 426 percent," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice   president of marketing and corporate communications. "What we're seeing is   realization of our promise that Nintendo will bring gaming to the masses --   whatever your taste or level of experience, we've got a system and a game for   you."

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
RE:DS Lite Dominates June Sales
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »
Ouch, this is a real big kick in the pants for the PSP. Go Nintendo!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
Yes, if there's any justice in the world, this will be the first of many months of the DS/PSP numbers looking like this.  And props to Mario for outselling GTA. He's still got it.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:45:48 AM »
I like Jonathan's comments about releasing games all year round.  I often want a couple of good games for the summer season.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Faithinchaos

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 03:02:05 PM »
Yah, summertime I always find myself sweating my ass off walking around in 100 degree heat, digging thru crappy second-hand stores and used outlets looking for something that doesn't suck. I know I'm not the only one because all those stores become really rank with all us sweaty geeks populating their interior.

Finger on the pulse, industry execs, finger on the pulse indeed.

Also, let me just note that summers around here are a damn good reason to stay indoors. A lot of people reguard the summer as recreation time, but not here in the south or at least around these parts, and I never hear anything about that. REEEEAAL heckuva time to have an industry dry spell.

Also again, let me just note that the DS is the messiah. Wii or not, thank you, Nintendo.

*resumes lurking mode*

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Faithinchaos
Yah, summertime I always find myself sweating my ass off walking around in 100 degree heat, digging thru crappy second-hand stores and used outlets looking for something that doesn't suck. I know I'm not the only one because all those stores become really rank with all us sweaty geeks populating their interior.

Finger on the pulse, industry execs, finger on the pulse indeed.

Also, let me just note that summers around here are a damn good reason to stay indoors. A lot of people reguard the summer as recreation time, but not here in the south or at least around these parts, and I never hear anything about that. REEEEAAL heckuva time to have an industry dry spell.

Also again, let me just note that the DS is the messiah. Wii or not, thank you, Nintendo.

*resumes lurking mode*

I'd just like to take this moment to extend my thanks and warm feelings to the forum lurkers of PlanetGameCube. With you around, we can be sure our foolish antics don't go unnoticed!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mario323

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
That chaos guy scares me a little.  Pretty impressive that the DS Lite outsold the XBOX 360 and PSP even though its just an upgrade and not a whole new game system.  It is a pretty big upgrade though.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 10:12:46 PM »
Nintendo News: Nintendo encourages kids to stay inside and play videogames all summer. And also to eat wild mushrooms.

(now that Nintendo is poised to become the number one name in videogames once again, we should all probably prepare for the inevitable demonization.)
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon