Poll

Which game should we play and discuss together on Radio Free Nintendo?

Battalion Wars
10 (10.5%)
Baten Kaitos: Origins
16 (16.8%)
Killer 7
38 (40%)
Wario World
8 (8.4%)
Star Wars: Rogue Leader
23 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: August 04, 2011, 09:49:08 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #19 Poll - GameCube 10th Anniversary Edition  (Read 43428 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #19 Poll - GameCube 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2011, 01:13:51 AM »
This is why we can't have nice things.

Really, you had to know Killer 7 would win when you put it in there. This is all on you.

In fact, I'm pretty sure this was a conspiracy to give them an excuse to get rid of the voting entirely and just pick the games themselves. Which I wholeheartedly endorse.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »
I am sure the RFN crew felt that way after RPG's won like 3 RetroActive's in a row (in fact, I remember at that point they said they were just gonna pick the next one themselves rather than have a poll).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2011, 01:19:12 AM »
Well, I'd better see 38 individual posters following on the RetroActive thread for this game.  You voted for the shitty game, and now you should have to suffer the consequences of your choice and actually play it.

Ugh...I totally predicted this.  There is nothing worth talking about with this game, and now I suppose I'll be skipping half of RFN for the next few weeks.  I already know it's a terrible game with little if any redeeming value, made by one of the most incompetent game designers to walk the earth.  I don't need 3 hours of radio to remind me of it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:21:39 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2011, 01:20:50 AM »
Well, I'd better see 38 individual posters following on the RetroActive thread for this game.

You won't, because I just voted for it to spite Crimm and have no intention of playing along.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2011, 01:27:04 AM »
Yay! This is revenge for Magic the Gathering and Bill Belichick!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:11 AM »
I just hope that Baten Kaitos Origins doesn't get completely screwed-over in the 2nd chance poll by being thrown in with 3-4 extremely well-known titles that will just bury it.  It's an outstanding game that, unlike Killer 7, actually deserves a 2nd look by Nintendo fans since it has been so overlooked over the years.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2011, 01:44:26 AM »
Ugh...I totally predicted this.  There is nothing worth talking about with this game, and now I suppose I'll be skipping half of RFN for the next few weeks.  I already know it's a terrible game with little if any redeeming value, made by one of the most incompetent game designers to walk the earth.  I don't need 3 hours of radio to remind me of it.

Sorry guys, but I completely agree. It made no sense that Killer7 featured in the poll at all when people's distaste for it had come up on the podcast multiple times. Honestly, the joke's on all of you who voted for it, especially those playing it for the first time because you're paying hard-earned money to track down a copy. It truly is an awful game. Now I know RetroActive works well when there are qualities and flaws to discuss, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere to maintain some modicum of enjoyment out of playing the game. Killer7 has no such qualities.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2011, 06:39:09 AM »
OH HO HO.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:08 AM »
I'm surprised to see such a negative reaction to Killer 7 winning. But while I'm sure some of those votes were registered for shits and giggles, there have also been people in this thread who have said that Killer 7 is a GOOD game, myself included. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but I hope that this Retroactive will encourage people to go back, give this game another chance, and maybe they'll be able to appreciate it for what it does well. Primarily for me, looking back, what sold it on me was primarily its unique art-house aesthetic and atmosphere.

I'm relieved that Origins hasn't won it, there have been enough RPGs discussed in previous Retroactives. They're too long, and we saw what occurred in the Mother 3 thread - lots of spoilerific discussion around the story, and the discussion on RFN ended up feeling incomplete for not addressing it, although it's understandable why it was left out.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:52 AM »
I'm so happy right now. Killer 7 is a wonderful game and people who hate it should be sent to the gulag.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »
I'm hoping Battalion Wars gets a more favorable poll next time.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 09:10:56 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »
Yeah, there's been plenty of discussion of Killer 7 already on RFN, albeit mostly by Karl. I know far less about the other games in this poll, save for BK:O which I own and have played.

Why the RFN crew decided to include Killer 7 in this poll, I do not know. That said, I will be curious to hear about the game's bizarre anecdotes.
This is actually untrue. Killer 7 came out a full year before RFN began - every time it's been brought up on the show, it's always been in passing (or as a slight on me). There's never really been a comprehensive discussion on it.

Clearly they included it for the right reasons. They put it on the ballot, and the people have spoken. Decision justified.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Karl, are you joining the discussion?

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
hahah, I'm glad k7 won.  It's barely functional and completely terrible. 

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
I'm surprised to see such a negative reaction to Killer 7 winning. But while I'm sure some of those votes were registered for shits and giggles, there have also been people in this thread who have said that Killer 7 is a GOOD game, myself included. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but I hope that this Retroactive will encourage people to go back, give this game another chance, and maybe they'll be able to appreciate it for what it does well. Primarily for me, looking back, what sold it on me was primarily its unique art-house aesthetic and atmosphere.

I'm relieved that Origins hasn't won it, there have been enough RPGs discussed in previous Retroactives. They're too long, and we saw what occurred in the Mother 3 thread - lots of spoilerific discussion around the story, and the discussion on RFN ended up feeling incomplete for not addressing it, although it's understandable why it was left out.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Karl, are you joining the discussion?

I really hope he does, if only for the sake of balance haha
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:46:31 AM by Lithium »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
I bought this game for my brother off of the hype when it came out.  I need to see if I can borrow his copy.  Always meant to.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Ah, the only one of those I own and played won (though I got it on the PS2). I have Battalion Wars still sealed (was dirt cheap but haven't had the desire to actually play it) and rented Wario World long enough to beat it (2 days).

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »
I think Battalion Wars is pretty good, I really enjoyed it. I never played BWii, was that any good?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
I think Battalion Wars is pretty good, I really enjoyed it. I never played BWii, was that any good?
From Memory it was and I seem to remember though that sometimes I prefer the control.  Definitely worth picking up if you find it.  Especially if you liked BW and can get it for $20.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »

I thought it was a great B-tier title (and that's not meant condescendingly). I can't compare it to the original, but I thought it was a steal at $20.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
Their really isn't any game quiet like the Battalion War series.   It borrows from a lot but the presentation and how it is put together is very fresh in its own way.  Its like a movie you watch and your really enjoy it but, you recognize you don't want it to spawn off a genre.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2011, 01:34:16 PM »
Wow, since the K7 win this thread has become full o' grapes.

Sour ones that is.

Karl really should be invited for the K7 discussion. Its the only fair and balanced thing to do.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2011, 01:45:29 PM »
I'll be there. Jonny's holding me to my word.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
I'll be there. Jonny's holding me to my word.

Woot.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2011, 07:06:41 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work.

- Kent Brockman
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.