Author Topic: 60 frames per second...really?  (Read 3663 times)

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
60 frames per second...really?
« on: April 11, 2003, 12:34:05 PM »
Is 60 frames per second really possible with analog TV sets?  For regular analog sets, the electron beam paints the phosphor coating at a rate of 30 frames per second (2 "paintings": 1st for all the odd lines, then 2nd for the even lines, about 480 visible lines overall).  So with a game that brags 60 F/S...is that really possible on a analog display(that is, other than Liquid Crystal, High-Definition, or Plasma display)?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 01:24:06 AM »
Here we go again. 60FPS means 60 fields per second, not frames per second. Two fields is needed to make up one frame as analog tvs only display half the picture with each pass. In P-scan, the entire frame is drawn in one go. The resulting effec is a cleaner picture.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 10:39:11 AM »
To be more technically accurate (I think..) 60 fps games are rendered at 60 frames a second, but analog TVs only display 60 half frames a second (30 odd line frames and 30 even line frames). The result still looks smoother than a game running at 30fps, as any fan of F-Zero X can attest.

Offline Locke Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 01:54:31 PM »
I thought the human eye can only process up to 30 frames per second.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 11:13:05 PM »
thats why i got my self an extra set of eyes

Offline Sir Kero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 12:43:37 PM »
Alot of people think that. I was remembering it being 70fps for some reason.. we're both wrong as this article explains.

If you don't like reading, then I'll just cut to the chase, the human eye doesn't work in a system of frames, but a continuous stream. There is no limit to how many frames per second you can see until you start dealing with how fast your brain can interpret the signal.