Author Topic: Official Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 21838 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »
Sounds like Sonic & The Secret Rings.  The game controls like crap until you level up considerably.

Except for the fact it doesn't control like crap, you are right.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 08:36:20 PM »
GP's comments are helpful. I'll keep that in mind when I restart tonight. I'll put some more skill points into small arms.

Two concerns I forgot to bring up before: Computer hacking is confusing. Really confusing. Could somebody give me some pointers?

Also, there's a character creator (for your face), but it seems incapable of sculpting anything resembling an attractive character model. The pre-rendered faces in Soul Calibur IV were better than this. Hell, the facial editor in Guitar Hero IV is better than this. It's like Bethesda went into the character creator with the goal of populating the Wasteland with people who were beaten with an ugly stick.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 09:14:55 PM »
GP's comments are helpful. I'll keep that in mind when I restart tonight. I'll put some more skill points into small arms.

Two concerns I forgot to bring up before: Computer hacking is confusing. Really confusing. Could somebody give me some pointers?

Also, there's a character creator (for your face), but it seems incapable of sculpting anything resembling an attractive character model. The pre-rendered faces in Soul Calibur IV were better than this. Hell, the facial editor in Guitar Hero IV is better than this. It's like Bethesda went into the character creator with the goal of populating the Wasteland with people who were beaten with an ugly stick.

Lol, I agree with you about the character creator being a bit lame. You should be able to fine tune everything like you can in Mass Effect along with other games.  Can't help you on hacking since I haven't really tried doing it. My guess is that it will be easier if you level up that trait

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 10:24:24 PM »
Having not played any of the Fallout games, nor Oblivian, and after reaching the first town/city MEGATON(lol) in Fallout 3 I have to say that I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of data I have to keep track or read, but it is satisfying at least to me.

"1) Gunplay almost breaks the game. I've never experience such awful FPS targeting. I understand that you're supposed to use the VAAS system (whatever it's called), but you don't even get a tutorial on that during your time in the vault. But unless you're at point-blank range, guns are horrible."

This isn't your typical FPS. You can't rely on your aiming reflexs because that is not how this game works. F3 is like playing an Advance Wars kind of game but all in real time, so you have to think carefully before you react or approach an enemy. 99% stats, 1% aiming.

If I were you I wouldn't rely on the V.A.T.S. at a low level. It doesn't seem like it has any advantage other than that it gives you time to react, but when you run out of AP (Action Points) it can get tough.

"2) There's very little direction once you get out into the Wasteland. I must've wandered aimlessly for twenty minutes before I tripped over the first major city in the game. The game could really benefit from a GTA-type radar, showing you where to go next."

The manual has a few basic details that will help you on how to read the radar, and believe me they were quite helpful.

"Two concerns I forgot to bring up before: Computer hacking is confusing. Really confusing. Could somebody give me some pointers?"

Once again, the manual has 1 good hint at a succesful hack, and it also explains in a bit more detail what you're supposed to do. I managed to hack my first computer inside the vault, and I got one piece of information that I'm hopeful will be relevant for the storyline.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:17 AM »
Also, there's a character creator (for your face), but it seems incapable of sculpting anything resembling an attractive character model.

Heh, did you play Oblivion? It was exactly the same there, facial creation (and animation) is not Bethesda's strong suit. Luckily for me I will be playing as an evil character so the uglier the better.

It sounds like Oblivion.  You're pretty much thrown to the wolves in that game, too.

Oblivion held your hand at the start when compared with Morrowind. All the fancy compass markers and scaled enemies made it way more accessible I think.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 12:23:05 AM by blackfootsteps »
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 04:11:30 AM »
Quote from: GoldenPhoenix
You can download them (DRM-free) from www.gog.com for $5.99 each.
I'll have to check that out though I am not a big fan of the overhead action RPG.
I knew I saw that somewhere. Thanks for linking it.
Although it's not an action RPG, it's turn based!

I started the game last night. Having never played either of the previous Fallouts or Oblivion, I came at it with no expectations. I played through the first major plot point (growin' up in a vault!) and a while I like it a lot so far, there are some big stumbling points.

1) Gunplay almost breaks the game. I've never experience such awful FPS targeting. I understand that you're supposed to use the VAAS system (whatever it's called), but you don't even get a tutorial on that during your time in the vault. But unless you're at point-blank range, guns are horrible.

2) There's very little direction once you get out into the Wasteland. I must've wandered aimlessly for twenty minutes before I tripped over the first major city in the game. The game could really benefit from a GTA-type radar, showing you where to go next.

3) Getting shot does a LOT of damage, and you have virtually no recourse but to spend money at a clinic to get healed. I haven't come across one...stinking...med pack yet.

The game is, however, hauntingly beautiful. I'm actually going to restart tonight now that I (sort of) know what I'm doing. Maybe I won't go into the Wasteland with NO freaking health this time.

This is the kind of **** I'm talking about. These are intuitive gameplay elements with easy solutions if you played Fallout 1+2, but 3 doesn't tell you anything about how to play/strategize survive. Behold, I will break it down for you:

1) You need points in your gun skills. You need to dump tons of points in them. These are your primary skills unless you're trying to play the game in some creative new way. Lol at not being able to hit anything; I'm picking off super mutants at 100 yards. Welcome to scrubsville, population: you.

2) lol did you try looking at the screen

3) Wrong-o, you need to stop and rest a lot, like a real person. You heal pretty fast, like even after just a couple hours of rest. You can also eat the **** tons of food you find lying around. Save the stims for combat.

When you hack, you're supposed to pick out one of the words in the menu gibberish. The game tells you how many letters are right, so you can deduce which one is the right one within a few tries from that.

Some observations and tips I have:
Repair skill is more important than any of the previous fallout games. Generally, instead of selling off the weapons you find, you consume them to tune up your current weapons. How well you can do it is capped by repair skill.

If you're in a tough combat situation, shoot freely at enemies that are rushing you, and save your AP so you can pull a bunch of VATS headshots up close.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »
When you hack look for two brackets facing each other whether they hold any characters or not, and they have to be on the same line. The manual says there's a chance that once activated they will remove any dud passwords, or restore your tries.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
Also I great tip about hacking PC.   You get 4 chances of guessing the correct password but you can quit after the third attempt and go back and you'll get 4 more chances (though the password changed).

I haven't placed any points in small arms other than getting a few from books I've read and still can hit alright at long as I zoom in (left trigger).  I miss 1/3 of my shots but with 18 points I guess I can't complain. 

As for guideness, you can find maps laying around which will unlock locations a bit more easier also you have to listen to the other characters and they'll give you hints on who to talk with or where the general location is.   

My only grip so far (playing the Xbox 360 version) is the gitches.  Got stuck inside walls, floors, ect then it AUTOsaved.   Lost about 45 minutes of my life but at least I made multiple saves (think GOD). 

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
I never really got much into Fallout, lacked any sense of what to do and when approaching things was always startled about having too many choices and not knowing enough to pick a good one, same about Baldur's Gate 2... Should I just stay away from RPGs like this?

How's the difficulty? Do you get maimed by anything larger than a rat during the early game? That's how FO1 was for me...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 02:11:06 PM »
I never really got much into Fallout, lacked any sense of what to do and when approaching things was always startled about having too many choices and not knowing enough to pick a good one, same about Baldur's Gate 2... Should I just stay away from RPGs like this?

How's the difficulty? Do you get maimed by anything larger than a rat during the early game? That's how FO1 was for me...

The game has adjustable difficulty, and unless you go exploring deep into the world you shouldn't have to worry about getting maimed.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 03:07:41 PM »
Kotaku: "ps3-fallout-3-a-bit-broken"

Should I just stay away from RPGs like this?

If you're not comfortable with such type of game I would stay clear, but I would still give it a rent anyways.

The game has adjustable difficulty, and unless you go exploring deep into the world you shouldn't have to worry about getting maimed.

I'm playing on Normal, as soon as I get off the vault and wander close I got ravaged by a pack of mutant dogs. I guess since I'm a wasteland virgin I shouldn't pick fights with everything I see.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:14:08 PM by Caliban »

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
I'm 6 hours in now and am really enjoying it. The game has some obvious issues (some of which were in Oblivion), one being shooting outside of VATS isn't great, but I think it's fine. Where the game excels more then makes up for it, one being atmosphere.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:27:55 PM by Schadenfreude »

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 06:00:22 PM »
I'm 6 hours in now and am really enjoying it. The game has some obvious issues (some of which were in Oblivion), one being shooting outside of VATS isn't great, but I think it's fine. Where the game excels it more then makes up for it, one being atmosphere.

It amazes me how HUGE the world is. That alone makes the game worth it.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
I love never feeling completely safe. I'm always scrummaging for weapons, ammo and health. It's harder then Oblivion, but I think it makes the game better.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »
That was the main complaint that Morrowind lovers had about Oblivion.  The levelling scheme made it too easy.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »
That was the main complaint that Morrowind lovers had about Oblivion.  The levelling scheme made it too easy.

Considering the game had its own difficulty bar that you could change at any time, I don't think that's a very viable complaint...From what I've seen, more people complained about the facts that you couldn't become the superhuman god that you could in Morrowind, plus the fact that you'd come across bandits with the best gear in the game, defeating the point of looking for loot in dungeons when you could find it anywhere...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »
One big difference is in Oblivion I had one main sword I would repair all the time. In Fallout 3 I'm always using multiple weapons, none of which are ever completely fixed because it costs too much. Finding one specific ammo type consistently can also be difficult. What weapons I use mostly depends on what I find walking around the world and what enemies have on them.

I'm also playing good, which from what I've heard is a lot harder then playing evil.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 08:47:01 PM by Schadenfreude »

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »

Considering the game had its own difficulty bar that you could change at any time, I don't think that's a very viable complaint...From what I've seen, more people complained about the facts that you couldn't become the superhuman god that you could in Morrowind, plus the fact that you'd come across bandits with the best gear in the game, defeating the point of looking for loot in dungeons when you could find it anywhere...

Yep it was pretty stupid. Although a 100% chameleon outfit was pretty godly, nothing would ever touch you.

I've got Fallout now, and I'm loving it. I'm finding shooting very solid, both VATS and FPS, probably because I've got 50+ points in small guns at level 4ish.

Computer hacking is a great mini game, with a bit of strategy, do you search for dud removers at the beginning or do you look later and hope you get your tries resupplied.

I'm playing as an evil character and there have been so many situations already where I feel I've missed out on something interesting, because I've been a prick and been killing people. I already can't wait to go back through as a good character.

Perks spoilers
What perks are you guys using?  I've gone for Gun Nut and the one that gives extra skill points per level.

Weapons spoilers
The weapons are awesome, I've now got a sword, the Vampire's Edge, which makes the game seem even more Elder Scrolls-ish. Going on a killing spree with the missile launcher is probably the coolest thing ever, especially in VATS. 
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
I thought the complaint was that in Oblivion you practically level up the enemies and your stats increase independently of your level so you have to watch out to not make your level rise more than your stats or you'll end up horribly outmatched by every random bandit?

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 08:58:51 PM »
I thought the complaint was that in Oblivion you practically level up the enemies and your stats increase independently of your level so you have to watch out to not make your level rise more than your stats or you'll end up horribly outmatched by every random bandit?

Enemies don't level up with you. It's fun trying to tackle a super mutant at level 3 I did but I had 1 HP left and almost no ammo and all I got was a machine gun with 23 ammo for it.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »
I want to play this game so goddamn bad.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »
Anybody else punch everyone unconscious at the vault?  I wanted my first playthrough to be a bit more goody goody, but it seems I've failed.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 07:14:48 PM »
For me the only disappointing thing about this game is that the level cap is 20. I guess on the flip side it takes much longer to level up.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 06:03:52 AM »
And you get a perk every level!

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2008, 12:13:46 PM »
Yeah, level 20 cap suxed :(.  I placed alot of points into gaining 10% more exp (5 overall total stat points--maxed) and ended up reaching level 20 about 1/3 of the way in.

A few things to gripe about is if you wander around like I did you ended up skipping chapters of the main quest.  Not to mention any spoilers but I found you can skip about 2 main quests just by heading west in the begining of the game.

I horded alot of loot at the begining of the game but besides buying extras to upgrade you house (which is a must IMO) but at the end I really didn't need anything -- all of the sellers sold a bunch of unless crap and my repair skill was higher than theirs.  You can store extra crap at your home btw.

Still a great game and I'm going replay as an evil-heavy weapons guy (I didn't use ranged weapons  the first time around). 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:17:05 PM by Ymeegod »