Author Topic: Official Fallout 3 Thread  (Read 21841 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Official Fallout 3 Thread
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:26:33 PM »
Recent reviews have put this game on my radar. I have not played Oblivion and really have no desire to. The original Fable was pretty interesting and I feel a slight tug to play the new one.

I would like to see how Fallout is recieved by others here so I can make a better decision on the purchase or if I should even consider spending $8 on renting the game for a week.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Official Fallout 3 Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
Recent reviews have put this game on my radar. I have not played Oblivion and really have no desire to. The original Fable was pretty interesting and I feel a slight tug to play the new one.

I would like to see how Fallout is recieved by others here so I can make a better decision on the purchase or if I should even consider spending $8 on renting the game for a week.

You really should get Oblivion, it is a stellar game with so much to do it will blow your mind. Fallout 3 appears to be on a similar level. It is nice to play games like Oblivion or Fallout 3 because you aren't really restricted in your freedom except for being able to withstand enemy attacks.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »
I'll be getting this on Friday and will play it over the weekend.  I'll let you know what I think.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 05:53:33 PM »
I'll be getting this on Friday and will play it over the weekend.  I'll let you know what I think.

I'll let you know before Lindy lets you know.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
I think it looks pretty bland.  I mean, my biggest complaint with Oblivion was that the environments were too boring and lacked variety.  Fallout 3 looks to be even worse, the world basically looks like a giant brown and gray blob.  For a game that is mostly about exploration, it really does not give me a compelling world to spend any lengthy amount of time in.  I'll have to wait till the game launches to really see if there's variety, but it sure doesn't look like there will be...

Plus the combat? Meh.  The regular FPS combat looks clunky, and the stop-time-shoot-foot combat looks pretty lame.

With all the hype that's out there, it seems that there is something about Fallout 3 that I just don't "get."  Perhaps that something is Fallout/2.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 06:10:20 PM by KnowsNothing »
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 06:34:38 PM »
Or, more likely, it's just not your kind of thing.

I think Fallout 1 and 2 are completely unplayable due to how obnoxiously clunky the combat system is, but I'm PUMPED about Fallout 3.

Too bad I can't play it until I upgrade my computer.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 06:43:56 PM »
I think it looks pretty bland.  I mean, my biggest complaint with Oblivion was that the environments were too boring and lacked variety.  Fallout 3 looks to be even worse, the world basically looks like a giant brown and gray blob.  For a game that is mostly about exploration, it really does not give me a compelling world to spend any lengthy amount of time in.  I'll have to wait till the game launches to really see if there's variety, but it sure doesn't look like there will be...

Plus the combat? Meh.  The regular FPS combat looks clunky, and the stop-time-shoot-foot combat looks pretty lame.

With all the hype that's out there, it seems that there is something about Fallout 3 that I just don't "get."  Perhaps that something is Fallout/2.

Most of your complaints are fair (though the combat looks good in Fallout 3). I do agree the textures and world design can be basic and kind of blah color wise but the amount of freedom you have and the choices you can make is mind blowing.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:47:58 PM »
It's a post-apocalyptical world, so there's no place for rainbows and unicorns. However...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »
Plenty of room for all kinds of bald men.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »
The excuse that it is a post-apocalyptic world and thus should look horrible is justifiable I BEGRUDGINGLY SUPPOSE.  While I can understand that Bethesda wanted to make a post-apocalyptic city, and with that criteria the potential for variety in the environment is pretty limited, to me it's all moot; in the end it still looks like **** and I will enjoy the game less for that reason.  Ah well.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
Well KN the post apocalyptic theme does fit the fallout series I hope you weren't expecting a world full of faeries, rainbows, lollipops and gumdrops. I was always intrigued about this game, the only issue is that knowing bethesda their QA isn't the greatest so I am expecting glitches to be abound hopefully they won't be as bad as Fable 2's. But also knowing Bethesda they will have a multiple save system while Fable 2 has 1 save and there are game breaking bugs in Fable 2 which will essentially force you to start from scratch.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
knowing Bethesda they will have a multiple save system

F3 does have said save system.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 01:43:55 AM »
Well I've played a few hours of the game and it is definitely a must by if you don't mind a wide WIDE open world where you can explore to your heart's content. The visuals are great, and the combat is fun though it has a few detection flaws when you doing hand to hand combat. Make sure you have a lot of time to spend on the game though, I am just starting and already am blown away by how big the world is, it is intimidating but in a good way.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 03:11:31 AM »
I think Fallout 1 and 2 are completely unplayable due to how obnoxiously clunky the combat system is
lol. Yes. Completely unplayable. That explains the 90% review average and **** tons of awards it got. Kill yourself. Everyone else should play Fallout 1 and 2 in the meantime, you can get a two pack for like six bucks now. Do they have it on steam, I wonder?

I've been playing Fallout 3 and I like it so far. VATS owns. I've never played Oblivion or Morrowwind or Robeandwizardhat or whatever. It feels a bit like mass effect, actually, except with less time spent on the inventory screen and pretending you're on the sci-fi channel.

Lots of "OH MY GOD" moments on the kills. It's hilarious.

I really feel like a lot of the storyline stuff would be lost on someone that hasn't played Fallout 1/2.

Stuff like this:
The vaults might seem like survival bunkers, but they're really intended for social experiments.
The enclave is the insidious-as-hell remains of the US Goverment. I thought this was the coolest twist in Fallout 2.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
Nope, Fallout 1 & 2 aren't on Steam.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 02:18:02 PM »
Everyone else should play Fallout 1 and 2 in the meantime, you can get a two pack for like six bucks now. Do they have it on steam, I wonder?

You can download them (DRM-free) from www.gog.com for $5.99 each.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
Everyone else should play Fallout 1 and 2 in the meantime, you can get a two pack for like six bucks now. Do they have it on steam, I wonder?

You can download them (DRM-free) from www.gog.com for $5.99 each.

I'll have to check that out though I am not a big fan of the overhead action RPG.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
Ah, anyone know if there's a similar dl but for Mac?
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »
I started the game last night. Having never played either of the previous Fallouts or Oblivion, I came at it with no expectations. I played through the first major plot point (growin' up in a vault!) and a while I like it a lot so far, there are some big stumbling points.

1) Gunplay almost breaks the game. I've never experience such awful FPS targeting. I understand that you're supposed to use the VAAS system (whatever it's called), but you don't even get a tutorial on that during your time in the vault. But unless you're at point-blank range, guns are horrible.

2) There's very little direction once you get out into the Wasteland. I must've wandered aimlessly for twenty minutes before I tripped over the first major city in the game. The game could really benefit from a GTA-type radar, showing you where to go next.

3) Getting shot does a LOT of damage, and you have virtually no recourse but to spend money at a clinic to get healed. I haven't come across one...stinking...med pack yet.

The game is, however, hauntingly beautiful. I'm actually going to restart tonight now that I (sort of) know what I'm doing. Maybe I won't go into the Wasteland with NO freaking health this time.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
^ sounds like a 6.5
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 06:41:43 PM »
I started the game last night. Having never played either of the previous Fallouts or Oblivion, I came at it with no expectations. I played through the first major plot point (growin' up in a vault!) and a while I like it a lot so far, there are some big stumbling points.

1) Gunplay almost breaks the game. I've never experience such awful FPS targeting. I understand that you're supposed to use the VAAS system (whatever it's called), but you don't even get a tutorial on that during your time in the vault. But unless you're at point-blank range, guns are horrible.

2) There's very little direction once you get out into the Wasteland. I must've wandered aimlessly for twenty minutes before I tripped over the first major city in the game. The game could really benefit from a GTA-type radar, showing you where to go next.

3) Getting shot does a LOT of damage, and you have virtually no recourse but to spend money at a clinic to get healed. I haven't come across one...stinking...med pack yet.

The game is, however, hauntingly beautiful. I'm actually going to restart tonight now that I (sort of) know what I'm doing. Maybe I won't go into the Wasteland with NO freaking health this time.

1. Gunplay and aiming depends on your skill level, it WILL improve if you put your skill points into your aiming (It also depends on which guns you want to have an expertise in

2. There is a compass that shows you where to go in the bottom right hand corner. Your next point of interest is a green arrow on the compass

3. Once again you need to balance your skill points for damage, not to mention you can change the difficulty if you wish, even cranking it down to very easy

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
It sounds like Oblivion.  You're pretty much thrown to the wolves in that game, too.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »
It sounds like Oblivion.  You're pretty much thrown to the wolves in that game, too.

Yep, but it does improve as you progress. You just need to be careful and spend your skill points wisely. In the context of Fallout 3 it makes sense since you are basically a character who grew up in seclusion and never even got the chance to shoot a real gun.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 07:20:38 PM »
Sounds like Sonic & The Secret Rings.  The game controls like crap until you level up considerably.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 07:27:08 PM »
my preorder copy doesn't arrive for another couple of days.....

I haven't been reading up on Bethesda's direction on Fallout 3 (F1&2 developer was Black Isle), can you set your luck extremely high and have those random stuff happen like in the original games?  If so I might have to play this game with a few different game saves or replay the game with different settings.  I loved having my character being stupid to see the  hilarious conversations he would have.