Author Topic: Who actually listens to podcasts?  (Read 5958 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Who actually listens to podcasts?
« on: August 17, 2008, 06:03:38 AM »
I hate podcasts, not only can I understand written English much better than the spoken kind, it leaves my eyes completely idle, making me want to do something except I can't because then I can't really focus on what's being said. I think there's even studies showing it's harder to remember spoken words than written texts (which encourage using things like powerpoint instead of simply standing at a podium and talking).

Also podcasts take time, you can't easily skip paragraphs or sentences or go back when you don't understand something because your only means of navigation is a bar that is not visibly linked to the contents of the file (in a text you can easily see where a paragraph starts and ends). You can't go through the text at your own pace, you have to follow the pace of the speakers.

In short, podcasts are like retarded multi-megabyte texts with zero benefits over the regular written medium. Why do people actually listen to them? Do they actually do so or do most really just ignore them?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually listens to podcasts?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 06:12:33 AM »
See back in the late 1800's a couple of gents named Marconi and Tesla invented something called radio...

But seriously, podcasts are best listened while doing another activity. Something that requires little thought like washing dishes, folding clothes, or driving.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 06:51:34 AM »
working
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:54:06 AM »
I used to listen to podcasts, but after a while I realized something: its not fun listening to pre-recorded mumble.

I am the type of guy who likes to participate in discussions. Listening to one bores and annoys me. Since podcasts are pre-recorded it ain't fun to listen, especially if the discussion is stupid or one sided.

So I stopped listening to them once and for all.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
I like listening to them at work. I listen to talk radio most of the time anyway and I can usually process both just fine without ignoring one or the other.

In comparison to written text, I feel that it adds that extra layer of interactivity. The picture it paints for me is much more realistic and interesting. If I was to read the podcast, I wouldn't be able to do that and program at the same time at work.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »
working

Indeed.  If you're doing something menial at work, it's real easy to switch yourself to auto-pilot and listen to RFN for a bit.

In comparison to written text, I feel that it adds that extra layer of interactivity. The picture it paints for me is much more realistic and interesting.

Agreed.  Silks comes off as a total jag-off in the forums, but he's a pretty likable guy on the podcast.  ;D
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 02:08:56 PM »
My computer is nowhere near any place of menial work...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
MP3 player time

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
KDR_11k

Maybe you should try different ones. Some are HORRIBLE, some are really funny and entertaining or educational.

I listen to podcasts because some are funny and educational with inside info. IGN's Gamescoop and Voice Chat are usually VERY FUNNY and sometimes have some great interviews.

podcasts are like a radio program for me and i actually like it.

Try

http://www.kera.org/audio/anything.php

i learn allot and find it VERY interesting to hear. I think you might very much enjoy that podcast, in fact I think allot of people will enjoy it. My brother introduced me to this and I got hooked. People ask random questions, and other people call back and give answers. So you learn allot of things, sometimes they talk about local stuff but overall its general and very cool.

I hate reading books. it's just to primitive form of entertainment for me.
I only read when I need too for school or online stuff, or videogames.
In my lifetime I have read 1 or 2 books to 100%.

Graphic novels and comic books are different

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 05:41:22 AM »
MP3 player time

Meh, I don't like listening to music or stuff when moving around, I get little enougjh time for thinking as-is.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
MP3 player time

Meh, I don't like listening to music or stuff when moving around, I get little enougjh time for thinking as-is.

I'm the oppositve. I like putting on music, especialy on headphones, when i want to relax and eventuallly i'll drift into my thoughts and won't hear the music, but it acts like a barrier keeping other noise out that will break my conversation.

sometimes i'll lose a train of thought when the music stops. funny how silence can do that.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:56 AM »
MP3 player time

I'm the oppositve. I like putting on music, especialy on headphones, when i want to relax and eventuallly i'll drift into my thoughts and won't hear the music, but it acts like a barrier keeping other noise out that will break my conversation.

sometimes i'll lose a train of thought when the music stops. funny how silence can do that.

I'm the exact same way. I actually prefer to listen to music when I read, program, play games, whatever, it keeps me in focus.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 11:10:28 AM »

Well, a podcast won't really work if you drift off...

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »
I bring my MP3 player to work every day simply so that if annoying noises start happening I can plug my ears and drown them out.  I've tried listening to podcasts while I work, but it doesn't work for me.  I always ignore one or the other.  Sometimes I even ignore both.  I prefer -- no, need -- silence when I'm trying to concentrate.  I'm the kind of guy who turns off the car radio when I'm looking for an address.

When podcasts were still new, I just avoided them because of the sheer pretentiousness, but that's not a problem anymore.  There are now some podcasts I think I'd actually like to listen to, but I can't find room for them in my life.  Work's out, my commute is only a few minutes, and when I'm at home I prefer to dedicate my time to other things.  It doesn't take me that long to do the dishes or fold laundry.  I would have to actually set aside time to listen to them, and I'm not willing to do that.

Offline Schadenfreude

• It's human nature
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 05:31:22 PM »
I listen to a many gaming podcasts on my drive to school and back. I've also been listening to college lectures while working recently.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »

Well, a podcast won't really work if you drift off...

i wasnt talking about podcast, just music. I tried listening to RFN and.. i just didnt get it, but i'm like that with podcast in general. I couldnt get five mins in the first time i tried, a while back, and recently.. around the Mario Kart Wii launch i listened to a full episode but still couldnt get in to it.

It makes me appreciate the few radio shows i ever listened to (Stern, The Doghouse w/ JV & Elvis, and the Booker show) because of how the cast can really entertain. I thought talk radio would be pretty easy to do until i heard some awful podcast.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »
I think talk radio can be done well easily given the proper setting and accompanying cast. It is quite tough to do RFN over Skype because there are no cues as to when someone is or is not going to speak and it makes it hard to convey subtleties in expression without seeing people's faces or reactions. The cast is also key, given you are working with people you can openly and comfortably communicate with, you can have a decent show given you prepare yourself for topics you plan to discuss.

The thing I find interesting is that after listening to a certain show for the past 3 years on a daily basis (Rover's Morning Glory), I'm able to easily tell when they are working on scripted bits and when they are just flowing. In my opinion, the scripted bits get lame and they would be better off sticking to topical conversation without following "roles." But regardless, a good podcast/talk radio show really only gets better after you do it a few times and learn the nuances in each person's character.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
I listen to podcasts at work all the time, and I think spoken voice shows can be a lot funnier in some ways than written text.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
I think talk radio can be done well easily given the proper setting and accompanying cast. It is quite tough to do RFN over Skype because there are no cues as to when someone is or is not going to speak and it makes it hard to convey subtleties in expression without seeing people's faces or reactions. The cast is also key, given you are working with people you can openly and comfortably communicate with, you can have a decent show given you prepare yourself for topics you plan to discuss.

The thing I find interesting is that after listening to a certain show for the past 3 years on a daily basis (Rover's Morning Glory), I'm able to easily tell when they are working on scripted bits and when they are just flowing. In my opinion, the scripted bits get lame and they would be better off sticking to topical conversation without following "roles." But regardless, a good podcast/talk radio show really only gets better after you do it a few times and learn the nuances in each person's character.

i coulda gotten into it too but i didnt feel like it ;)
i wasnt trying to rag on the NWR podcast. it was good enough to keep me into the full show the last time i tried it, but it still wasnt for me. I expected a bit more of a laid back show talking about video games, but it felt like a club house meeting or something where a head speaker will say something like "ok moving on to new business" lol. I dunno, i'll try it again some time when i'm super bored but until then just hitting up the forums is enough gaming talk/news for me.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 10:10:43 PM »

i wasnt trying to rag on the NWR podcast. it was good enough to keep me into the full show the last time i tried it, but it still wasnt for me. I expected a bit more of a laid back show talking about video games, but it felt like a club house meeting or something where a head speaker will say something like "ok moving on to new business" lol. I dunno, i'll try it again some time when i'm super bored but until then just hitting up the forums is enough gaming talk/news for me.

I think you are boring, so what do you say about that?!?! :P
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 11:31:14 PM »
I used to work in an office but now I do the same job at home.  That said, I have podcasts and music running all day long, makes me feel like there's other peeps around.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »
I used to work in an office but now I do the same job at home.  That said, I have podcasts and music running all day long, makes me feel like there's other peeps around.

how can i get your job?

I think you are boring, so what do you say about that?!?! :P

whats that buzzing sound?? hm, probably nothing more than a bothersome fly

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 03:12:22 AM »
I hope there's nothing important in those podcasts...