Author Topic: Just Played God Of War  (Read 7909 times)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Just Played God Of War
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »
Got to say, I don't really understand the people on this thread who've decided that just because it's violent and got boobies, that it somehow takes away from the fun of this game.

My problem with the game (and yes I do enjoy the series) is that it is yet another title that tries overly hard to be cool and edgy, which is perfectly illustrated by the prostitutes you can sleep with. It was put in solely to be "cool" to show your friends how awesome you are for getting the game. Not to mention the overly done "Me angry, me buff man that kill you".
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:31:18 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
No doubt that it is a button masher, but I don't see anything wrong with recognizing that it's an incredibly well made one. 

Honestly, the vast majority of "action" games are button mashers, but most are boring - GoW is not.  It's very visceral.

I disagree that it's not rewarding.  Some of the enemies can take lots of damage, and when you are constantly diving out of the way to avoid that critical final hit to your own health just so you can launch another combo at a minotaur or something like that - that's what I feel the vast majority of GoW combat to be like. 

I also like that GoW keeps it simple - there's not tons of weapons; you're not overloaded with options.  They give you a weapon, and then let you play around with it for 2-3 hours before they give you a new one.  And as you play, you can slowly level up the ones that you find the most enjoyable.  All of them are pretty useful (except maybe the Medusa one).
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »
My problem with the game (and yes I do enjoy the series) is that it is yet another title that tries overly hard to be cool and edgy.

I have this problem with Devil May Cry.  I don't really get the "trying too hard" vibe from GoW, but I can understand why one might.  Most of the stuff in the game that's "cool and edgy" is pretty invisible to me, it's not why I enjoy the game.  Cut the blood down to a realistic level, and make everyone wear a shirt, and I'd still love this game.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
In the words of my brother:

"God of War was the best game I never played."
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
I love the God of War games, and here's why: They take the Greek panthenon and make it a GAME. It's like playing a Ray Harryhausen movie. Fighting the Hydra in the first game is INCREDIBLY cool, and the set pieces in the series are beyond compare. And all you guys whining about the combat being easy and button-mashy, you need to play the game on Hard or God Mode.

Every enemy has to be approached differently, and what was initially a button-masher quickly becomes a process of figuring out which attacks in your enormous arsenal work best on which enemies, or which situations. Parries are tantamount to success on the tougher difficulties, and managing your MP suddenly matters a whole lot. I was able to beat God of War and Chains of Olympus on God Modes, but the griffon stages in GoW2 kicked my ass.

The puzzles are simple, but I like it that way. It means the game doesn't stagnate while you rack your brain over how to navigate a goddamn Water Temple. And I like that the games are generally pretty short, between 7 and 10 hours, I think. It means you can play through it multiple times.

The only low point for me is the Challenges. I beat the Challenges in GoW1, but they were unbelievably hardcore in GoW2 and I could only beat the first two. Ridiculously hard.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 05:19:39 PM »
I can't wait to play GoW3 just for the Cestus. I'm in love with those Lion mittens.