Author Topic: Funny ROM Site warning...  (Read 2184 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Funny ROM Site warning...
« on: August 08, 2008, 11:05:49 PM »
Now, for obvious reasons, I'm not going to post a link to this site, but while looking for Box Art, I stumbled onto a site hosting ROMs for several Nintendo games.  It included this spectacular warning on the front page...

"IMPORTANT NOTICE:

YOU MUST DELETE THE ROM'S WITHIN 24 HOURS OF DOWNLOADING, UNLESS YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL CARTRIDGE. HOLLY´S POKEROMS DOES NOT TAKE RESPONSIBLITY FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE TO IGNORE THIS MESSAGE AND THEREFORE ARE NOT TO BE CONTACTED IF YOU ARE PROSECUTED OR APPROACHED BY NINTENDO !

FOR CONTROVERSIAL REASONS, IF YOU ARE AFFILIATED WITH ANY GOVERMENT, ANTI-PIRACY GROUP OR ANY OTHER RELATED GROUP, OR WERE FORMALLY A WORKER OF ONE YOU CANNOT ENTER THIS WEBSITE, CANNOT ACCESS ANY OF ITS FILES AND YOU CANNOT VIEW ANY OF THE HTML FILES. IF YOU CAN ENTER THIS SITE YOU ARE NOT AGREEING TO THESE TERMS AND YOU ARE VIOLATING CODE 431.322.12 OF THE INTERNET PRIVACY ACT SIGNED BY BILL CLINTON IN 1995 AND THAT MEANS THAT YOU CANNOT THREATEN ANY PERSON(S) OR COMPANY STORING THESE FILES AND CANNOT PROSECUTE ANY PERSON(S) AFFILIATED WITH THIS PAGE WHICH INCLUDES FAMILY, FRIENDS OR INDIVIDUALS WHO RUN OR ENTER THIS WEBSITE.

IF AND ONLY IF YOU AGREE TO ALL OF THE ABOVE THEN YOU MAY CONTINUE."

So, basically, "I can break the law, but you can't!"  heh... :)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Re: Funny ROM Site warning...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:04:10 AM »

The Internet Privacy Act is a non-existent and fictitious law cited by file sharing, warez and peer-to-peer networks in order to deter anti-P2P organizations such as the RIAA. Networks which share music, films and software often display the fictitious act in an attempt to protect themselves from arrest by being able to claim entrapment in court. In the statement, websites claim that it prevents organizations whom may be associated with anti-P2P or government organizations from entering the site or network as it would breach the terms of the act.

According to the statement which many sites display, it was signed by Bill Clinton in 1995, but in reality he never signed the act as it never existed. Using this and other such "disclaimers" would actually make it easier for such a site to be found via the major search engines.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:06:08 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:15:42 AM »
FOR CONTROVERSIAL REASONS

lol. Yes. I'll just put this on my romz site and be justified and in the clear.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 03:28:24 AM »
Internet privacy act? Please, everyone knows that going on a website when the owner thinks you shouldn't is hacking with a maximum penalty of 15 years in prison and $250k in fines, in addition to any damages the victim may claim. Hey, these days you can get ANYONE for computer threspassing, puitting a link up and labelling it "don't click unless you're authorized" is probably enough to get a guilty verdict these days...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
That's a pretty common statement among warez sites in general... at least it was way back when warez sites still existed and weren't replaced by torrents. In reality there would never be any law passed protecting individuals from governments and corporations, especially when it comes to so-called "intellectual property". Copyright infringement seems to land you more of a fine and jail time than actual, physical theft nowadays. Ridiculous.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality