Author Topic: OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread  (Read 26420 times)

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2004, 01:54:15 PM »

I agree completely with you, only its probably more like a good 15-20% of the entire userbase that ditched ninty because of a lack of an online plan. It's not because they want to play online, no no, just the fact that it's not there, something less than all the other systems, it just puts a bad spin on the whole deal. Having "online play" means you have more of a mainstream appeal and mainstream appeal is something ninty lost somewhere mid 64 lifespan.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2004, 10:15:01 AM »
The numbers are in, and now Sony has over 1.4 million users playing online since it's debut just 2 years ago.  Given the fact that there are not many online titles compared to offline ones, this is pretty good.  Even better though is that there are now 1,400 users signing up each day, and almost 50,000 each month.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Online mouse_clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2004, 08:49:38 PM »
Now we need to know whether they are counting users (somehow, since they don'thave a unified access sorting out dupes is going to be hell) or adapters sold (more likely). Adapters don't necessarily get used, they could have been included in a bundle, the user gave up with it or it's for remote booting (i.e. piracy). Maybe even a few Linux users running webservers in there...

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2004, 08:44:14 AM »

There are people actually playing online? The online userbase is actually growing.?

GREAT!

That means by next gen, it'll become PROFITABLE, and the big N will jump right in.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2004, 06:26:12 AM »

Originally posted by: Chongman
jump right in.

LOLLERS
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2004, 01:04:50 PM »
The thing is about those number is they never list all those who cancel their accounts or let it run out. They only list who is current and the average have signed up it looks better that way.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2004, 06:54:27 PM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin
The thing is about those number is they never list all those who cancel their accounts or let it run out. They only list who is current and the average have signed up it looks better that way.

huh?  It's not Xbox Live, it's free Sony online.  I don't understand part of your second sentence, "and the average have signed up it looks better that way."  The average who have signed up do you mean?  If they only list who is current, that wouldn't help them because alot of gamers who aren't current who used to be, will be logging back online most likely especially with the best online titles to be released in the near future.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2004, 02:57:15 AM »
You can't really talk about online gaming on consoles until november 10th.  After that we will know the true power of X.  As nintendo sees this, they will say wow, all we need is a good online game and voila.  Revolution will come with modem in box and one or two first/second party titles that have online capabilities.  The downside is we have to pay for it.  The good side is we have to pay for it so nintendo will likely run in much like microsoft does.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2004, 09:09:10 AM »
"Revolution will come with modem in box"
Hopefully not...
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2004, 01:46:29 PM »
What console gaming needs the most is the ability to play against each other in online games.  Especially with SW battlefront type games.  They could even allow for console against console matches.  That's all fanboy's would need, instead of yelling at each other they can go out and shoot the crap out of each other to show which console has the best gamers.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2004, 08:31:02 PM »
They can go out there and learn a whole new set of insults. If Nintendo made an online service they'd have to block any and all communication, both because of abusive language and pedophiles.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2004, 04:11:23 AM »
That's my concern fo DS too.  I don't want to hear someone swearing at me over a game of table hockey.  Is there a way to filter out that kind of stuff other than turn it off.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2004, 04:29:46 PM »

Originally posted by: MaleficentOgre
They could even allow for console against console matches.  That's all fanboy's would need, instead of yelling at each other they can go out and shoot the crap out of each other to show which console has the best gamers.

Some games already feature console vs console, and console vs pc.  Hopefully the trend continues, with more online titles playable across all consoles.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 17, 2004, 02:21:21 AM »
Ogre: Voice filtering would be about as accurate as voice recognition with the difference that the speaker doesn't cooperate with voice filtering. The only option is to mute the player.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2004, 05:29:17 PM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
The numbers are in, and now Sony has over 1.4 million users playing online since it's debut just 2 years ago.  Given the fact that there are not many online titles compared to offline ones, this is pretty good.  Even better though is that there are now 1,400 users signing up each day, and almost 50,000 each month.

I just read that the over 1.4 million users playing online ps2, is for the USA alone.  Doesn't count any other territories.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2004, 07:00:14 PM »
That's because the other territorie's online communtiy is squidly poo,  Europe and Japan aren't as big on online games as americans are.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2004, 09:58:34 PM »
For XBLive Europe has about 1/10th of the numbers that it has in the US and from what I heard in Japan they only play MMORPGs online (and that FF11 was the only one with much success in Japan).

Also, Sony said 40% of their american users use dialup so Microsoft excluding modem users might have been a bad move.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2004, 06:53:04 PM »
Online games are huge in parts of Asia, especially Korea.  But I believe that the online gamers there are predominately for PC's.  As game consoles online gaming develops even more the next generation, I bet it will garner a portion of those PC online Asian gamers.

As for MS not including modem use for their online games being a bad move is questionable.  For one, alot of their online titles would have to be scaled down to be playable for 56k.  Another thing to note that is online games this generation are more of a preparation for next generation as far as garnering online gamers.  By having only broadband, MS is ensuring it gets alot of the BB users now, and then next generation when 56k online games are much less than the already small amount they're now, they will have those gamers already on board.  And finally, MS has over 1 million online gamers, while Sony has 1.4 million (going by each companies most recent #'s).  Given the userbase of each system, it seems that MS BB only online was a good move rather than having 56k.

Offline ghostVi

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 28, 2004, 03:02:23 AM »
IMHO BB-only or not doesn't really matter, what MS did right is throwing LOTS of money into it, as simple as that. Same goes for xbox in general, obviously.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2004, 09:01:33 PM »
Woah, whatever happend to mouse_clicker?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2004, 01:44:13 AM »
He got downloaded into the internet and is now fighting evil viruses! [/hollywood computer logic]

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 14, 2004, 06:43:43 AM »
actually the online argument has finally reached its experation date.  It got stale and people most likely got tired of saying the same thing over and over again.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: OFFICIAL Online Mouse_Clicker vs the world thread
« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2016, 01:39:01 AM »
Quote from: mouse_clicker

--Online gaming is not profitable right now
--There is not ample user support for online gaming to justify Nintendo pursuing it
--The majority of gamers do not care about online gaming
--Nintendo is right not to have jumped into online gaming themselves as Sony and Microsoft have
--Nintendo is NOT right to have made the online capabilities of its console as obscure as they have
--Nintendo SHOULD encourage 3rd parties to set up their own online networks for the Gamecube
--Online gaming WILL be very popular and profitable in the future
--Nintendo most definitely SHOULD support online gaming when they have found a profitable and appealing way to do so
--Nintendo should study their competitors' failures and successes and learn from them in order to duplicate the good and avoid the bad

Wrong on literally every count, Mouse.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2016, 02:44:45 AM »
WHAT? What is this suddenly about? Are you losing your mind VS?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2016, 03:38:53 AM »
Damn.  Talk about a blast from the past.  There's some names here I haven't seen in......12 years.