Author Topic: My Christmas Story of Woe  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
My Christmas Story of Woe
« on: December 20, 2004, 08:14:53 AM »
A few days ago my girlfriend and I exchanged gifts, we are both busy and it was the only time for us to really sit down and enjoy the occasion.  I recieved Spiderman, Ice Age and, the topic of discussion, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.  I excitedly ran upstairs and started playing.  Excellent game.  I played for about an hour, saved, put down my controller and shut off my GCN.  The next day I started playing again.  I got distracted and lost to a boss.  I though eh, I'll just run back for about 5 minutes, then beat him easily.  I watched the death animation, thought it was a little lengthy, the screen went black, and never did anything.  So I reset it, assuming a dirty disk, as the game was new and that is all that could really be expected.  Upon resetting it, I could not skip the siezure warning.  Apparently, my controller was no longer recognized.  I reset it, nothing.  I tried a 3rd party controller, nothing.  I switched games, nothing.  Any idea on cause or how I would get this repaired?  I know calling Nintendo, but how does the cost add up?  This is a launch Cube, so the warrenty isn't even an option at this point.  Should I try and have it fixed, or just cut my losses and buy a new cube?

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: My Christmas Story of Woe
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 08:19:25 AM »
Do you have mario kart?   probably, but if by some slim chance you don't, I would just grab the new bundle if you can find it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 11:05:34 AM »
Well, I have Mario Kart, but I like the idea of a 100 dollar platinum Cube and a suprise present for my friend.  Didn't see this before, thanks!

Offline VideoGamer

• View Profile
RE:My Christmas Story of Woe
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 10:03:42 AM »
listen mario kart has nothing to do with this persons problems

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:My Christmas Story of Woe
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 06:01:59 PM »
If you haven't solved this crime yet, and if controllers don't work in ANY port, it sounds just like what happened with one of my Dreamcasts - it blew a resistor on the controller board. If, and IF this is what happened, you could open up your GameCube, test whatever resistors you find on the controller board with a multimeter, and then replace it with a 10-cent resistor from Radio Shack. Also, take a minute to casually mention that you have a girlfriend on a gaming forum sometime while you're doing that, that will also help.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 12:15:58 PM »
VideoGamer:  He linked to a bundle

Super: It actually turned out that the puns in the port had been pushed back.  After having them pulled foreward and cleaned off, the Cube works flawlessly.  And if my mentioning of my girlfriend's present begining the story offends you at all, cry to yourself, don't get sarcastic.