Author Topic: A new developer joins Nintendo's Ranks  (Read 8789 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: A new developer joins Nintendo's Ranks
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:28 PM »
I sure hope Sakurai is never allowed near the Smash Brothers series ever again, it is clear his vision with it has changed over the eight years since its inception. I hope we do see another Smash game soon because the last game was nowhere near what I wanted. Personally I'd love a Smash game involving just Mario characters as there are tons who I'd love to take into the ring (or onto the floating platform I guess).

I don't think I had unrealistic expectations for Brawl. In fact, before its release I deliberately tried to avoid any information regarding it so I wouldn't over hype myself for it. The biggest difference I see in Melee and Brawl is that Melee felt like a tribute to Nintendo whilst Brawl feels like an advertisement for Nintendo. Rather than express what I wanted, I'm going to list what I didn't want:

-An expanded single player mode. Smash is a party/multiplayer game, and while things like Break the Targets and Multi-Man Melee are fun, I'd gladly trade them all for a few extra characters and stages.

-Dumbed-down gameplay. Smash is already a pretty simple game, there was no need to alter any part of it. No -L-cancel, no hit stun, infinite air dodges, too many powerful moves... oh and what is up with the random tripping? This game is random enough, no more of those elements are needed.

-A more serious art style and tone. This is a game where Nintendo worlds collide, most of which are pretty vibrant I might add. Don't try to create a story to explain how it happened, just let the insanity ensue.

-Contrived stages. Almost every stage in Brawl has some sort of hazard, such as wandering enemies, moving sections, or some other nonsense to interfere with everyone. There are very few traditional stages with no frills, and some of the ones which were included are too small. The Stage Builder is a way to create more traditional stages, but it is extremely limited and very bland visually; I'd gladly trade it for some premade stages that are actually well-designed.

-Too many powerful items. Lots of them are one-hit KOs or can KO at low damages. And I couldn't loathe the Smash Ball anymore than I currently do.

-Trophies and stickers. The trophy feature in Melee was interesting but I'd still have preferred that effort spent on more characters and stages. Brawl adds stickers to the mix of useless content, and almost all of the trophies and stickers don't go back farther than the GameCube era.

-No more unique stages for Break The Targets. They've been replaced by five uninspired levels that aren't designed around any character's specific strengths and weaknesses. The single-player adventure has this problem as well.

-Over half the music being ripped straight from the originals or original compositions created for the game. The original music doesn't fit the game at all.

-Masterpieces. What a waste of disc space, and a shameful attempt to sell VC games.

-No Toad and Birdo. Okay, now that's all me I know, but still...

-No third-party characters. I'm probably alone on this (and in disliking Brawl in general), but Smash is for Nintendo characters ONLY. At least Snake got his start on the NES, but Sonic is all wrong.

All of that is even before I get into what I did want to see, but this post is getting ridiculous as it is.

Basically, it isn't that Brawl didn't have enough content, it is that it went in a different direction than the things I wanted to see in a sequel.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:25:28 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 07:29:51 PM »
I can top that list:

-No Mushroom Kingdom Sky Stage from the original Super Smash Bros.

Really, they left out the greatest stage in the series, while they recycle Melee's Hyrule Castle?

AUUGH!! FLACCID!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
This is the worst post I've ever seen,, and I should know because I'm the worst poster.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:50:19 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:20 PM »
sho nuff, you've got two commas.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 07:49:30 PM »
That's my new punctuation mark. I call it the creek.

I'm surprised this is the first time you noticed it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
This is the worst post I've ever seen, and I should know because I'm the worst poster.
Are you referring to my post? If you are, that was just something I've been holding back for a while now and needed to get out. I realize this isn't the best time or place for it, but I figured there would never be a good time or place for it. All things considered, it could have been a lot worse.

Note how I never claimed that SSBBrawl was a bad game, I simply stated it wasn't what I wanted. If anyone wants to ridicule me, I don't mind. In fact, I expect it and welcome it, and am disappointed if nobody does. :-[

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »
Are you referring to my post?

Yes, yes I was.

Your list is full of things that can easily be avoided and/or turned off.

You R fail

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »
MY GOSH, IT'S FULL OF STICKERS
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 08:40:01 PM »
Your list is full of things that can easily be avoided and/or turned off.
The dumbed-down gameplay can't be turned off.
Single-player can't be avoided to unlock everything.
The art style can't be changed.
If I were to turn off every contrived stage I'd be left with about five stages.
If I turned off every powerful item I wouldn't be left with much.
I could mute the sound and whistle my own music.
Uninspired Break the Targets stages can't be avoided.
Filler content takes up space which could be used for more... game.

Most importantly, the effort used to create many of these things was taken away from expanding the multiplayer mode.

What am I left with after all of that? Not much. Brawl contains almost nothing that I wanted. I suppose that deserves being responded to with generic "you fail" messages because it was everything you wanted. It's an opinion, it differs from yours, that doesn't merit a "fail" response.

MY GOSH, IT'S FULL OF STICKERS
Way to nitpick on a SINGLE complaint I have. I have hundreds more, and they all add up.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:46:01 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 08:47:05 PM »
I can top that list:

-No Mushroom Kingdom Sky Stage from the original Super Smash Bros.

Really, they left out the greatest stage in the series, while they recycle Melee's Hyrule Castle?

AUUGH!! FLACCID!
Remember, Melee is when it became an "it" series. So stages in Melee are automatically considered better the B-grade wonderness of the N64.

Considering Sakurai left over Kirby Air Ride and that's like one of the worst games Nintendo ever made I gotta side with him.
So basically Nintendo pulled a Sega?

Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »
Sorry, I just wanted a 2001 reference in this thread.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
A reference to what? 2001 the year itself, or 2001: A Space Odyssey?
In either case, sorry for not catching that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:44 PM »
The least they could do is tell us something about this game. This might actually be less exciting when Nintendo came out last year and said, "Yeah, we're working on things." Thanks.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »
Let's keep it civil and on topic here. Go dig up some old Brawl threads if you want to vent about Brawl.

Anyway ...

I find this news pretty interesting, though not entirely surprising. I kind of expected Sakurai to work as somewhat of a commonly contracted, Nintendo third-party. Pop in to develop a random Nintendo IP, but mostly work on his own stuff separate of Nintendo entirely.

I'm fairly optimistic though, because as a Nintendo first party, Project Sora (Sakurai) will receive some light guidance putting that extra sheen on the title that might've been otherwise missing.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
Well considering how no ones talking about the interview, I might as well post the information from it.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/articles/2009/02/18/nintendo_sakurai_project_sora/

And if any of you were to lazy too read that, it pretty much says Sakurai and this team will be working on a new IP for Nintendo that'll be something people wouldn't expect from Nintendo.  The development of the game will begin in May, and is looking to have a 2 year development cycle.  Meaning it's on schedule for a 2011 release date.

And considering how Nintendo's new policy is to not reveal info until the games near completion, don't expect to hear anything new about this game for a long time.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:37 AM »
Go dig up some old Brawl threads if you want to vent about Brawl.
The Brawl board doesn't exist anymore, and I was under the impression that bumping old topics was at least frowned upon. In any case, I don't think any good would come from that, and I regret adding to the comments about Brawl in the first place.

it pretty much says Sakurai and this team will be working on a new IP for Nintendo that'll be something people wouldn't expect from Nintendo.
This has me curious as to what, exactly, this means. I wonder what Sakurai's idea of what that something is that people wouldn't expect from Nintendo. It could be a genre which they don't really touch up on with their various franchises, such as a more traditional RPG or a shooter. It could also be in the way the game is presented, such as having a more "mature" theme or something. Yes, this is very interesting indeed.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's an RPG of some kind.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »
I don't mind diversity but I don't trust Sakurai to wow us. He was good with Smash Brothers and the Kirby games were fun, not the best designed level wise, but fun. Beyond that, what does he have? Meteos?

So basically creating the best Puzzle game since Tetris Attack isn't good enough for you? Jeez.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 06:51:18 AM »
Go dig up some old Brawl threads if you want to vent about Brawl.
The Brawl board doesn't exist anymore, and I was under the impression that bumping old topics was at least frowned upon. In any case, I don't think any good would come from that, and I regret adding to the comments about Brawl in the first place.

Just wanted to address your points:

1) The Brawl forum's threads have all been moved into this forum, so nothing is gone, just the subforum itself.
2) Bumping old threads is ok if you have something relevant to say. Brawl is still kind of a hot topic considering the many awards it pulled down from NWR and elsewhere. Something like that massive post you had there would be just fine to bump a Brawl thread with, as long as everyone can stay civil.

Also keep in mind that I'm not chastising you for your opinion. I just don't think this thread has anything to gain by turning it into a Melee vs. Brawl discussion.
Check out PixlBit!