Author Topic: The Conduit  (Read 489905 times)

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Conduit
« Reply #425 on: August 30, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
You should buy it regardless!!!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 30, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »
Yeah, this is shaping up to be one of the best Wii games we've seen yet, split-screen would be great but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline redgiemental

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 30, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
Exactly. It looks set to be a great game with a mass of features throw in with it or at least being experimented with.

And still people just want to bitch about one feature that may be left out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 30, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »
Well, split screen is imperative for party play, would suck to have friends over but you can't play that awesome FPS because it won't eork with everyone on the same console.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 30, 2008, 01:16:58 PM »
There's no excuse for your friends not to all have Wiis and copies of the game and then you can play LAN.

That's right, I'm a blind Conduit fanboy.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 30, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
Well, split screen is imperative for party play, would suck to have friends over but you can't play that awesome FPS because it won't eork with everyone on the same console.

That's how real first person shooters generally work. It's been that way since DooM. LAN play is the most viable form of multiple regardless of the platform. Split screen are annoying anyway--everyone knows where you're at, how much ammo you have, etc!
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »
Split screen are annoying anyway--everyone knows where you're at, how much ammo you have, etc!

You just have to work that into the game. When my friends and I used to play Perfect Dark it would be 3 on 1, but only the 1 was allowed to use the Farsight, the most ridiculously unbalanced weapon in the history of first-person shooters, that not only could fire through walls and not only had a secondary fire that let you see through walls, if you just sat there in secondary fire it would slowly home in on an enemy for you to kill. The one guy got the farsight and found a place to hide and everybody else had to find him, and without being able to see what he saw they'd never be able to do it in time. God, I miss that game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Meteo

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:48 PM »
Exactly. It looks set to be a great game with a mass of features throw in with it or at least being experimented with.

Without that one feature I have little reason to play the game. I pretty much only play FPSs for multiplayer, and that is against people in the same room. I don't want to have to have my friends be elsewhere just to I can play against them. LAN is nice and all, but I don't want people to have to bring 2, 3, 4 tvs over just so we can play Conduit for awhile.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 30, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »

Without that one feature I have little reason to play the game. I pretty much only play FPSs for multiplayer, and that is against people in the same room. I don't want to have to have my friends be elsewhere just to I can play against them. LAN is nice and all, but I don't want people to have to bring 2, 3, 4 tvs over just so we can play Conduit for awhile.

Then you're just going to have realize that you not buying the game is going to be directly responsible for it being a commercial failure, causing third parties to never try to make good graphics or core gamer-focused games on the Wii ever again. Can you live with that on your conscience?

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 30, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Daaman64 confirmed to me no split screen play. Oh, one another tidbit: They want to make a sequel that fleshes out the backstory for the agency.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 30, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
Let's hope the game does well enough that somebody will be willing to publish a sequel.

J.P. Corbran

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 31, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »
I don't understand the disconnection between accessibility and no spit screen. WTF
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Meteo

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 31, 2008, 02:22:27 AM »

Then you're just going to have realize that you not buying the game is going to be directly responsible for it being a commercial failure, causing third parties to never try to make good graphics or core gamer-focused games on the Wii ever again. Can you live with that on your conscience?

Yes, I can live with that. All the good graphics and core-focus don't matter if its not a game I want to play. I've never really been interested in the single player campaign in FPSs and I generally only play them against my friends and family and as such I don't have much interest playing against people online. There isn't much point in me buying the game if its just going to sit on my shelf and not see any use.

Offline Smakian

• View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #438 on: August 31, 2008, 02:46:06 AM »
I got to play it some today and talked to the developer a bit. Some tidbits:

- No friendly AI in the game, in order to make room for more enemy characters.

- The developer claimed that the no split screen was due to being unable to preserve the graphical prettiness under those conditions.

- He did however say that they're attempting to implement a co-op system of some sort, so I don't know what that would be. Possibly something indirect along the lines of what was in Mario Galaxy.

- Both I and the two people before me got lost at one point or another in the level we were playing. The way you're supposed to go isn't always obvious or noticeable.

- There were some rough and missing animation issues, but not many, it looked fairly smooth. Also, the miniboss-like creature I encountered did not have all its AI implemented, and so kind of just shuffled back and forth firing at me.

As for my personal impressions...it's definitely very early. The controls felt loose, not as smooth as Corruption, although it might improve once one has a chance to sit down and fiddle with the control sensitivity settings (Which I really didn't like having to during gameplay, while enemies took potshots at me while I was helpless). I found it difficult to use the motion controls and not have my cursor flip out, so throwing grenades or melee attacking was troublesome. There are some interesting weapons I enjoyed using, but the overall thing feels sort of generic aside from the novelty of running on the Wii. The aliens look like every other alien in every other shooter ever. But, I only saw a few different enemies, hopefully there are more. And if the story is sufficiently interesting, that could tip the scales. Their hearts are in the right place and I admire what they're trying to do. But the game still needs a lot of work. I hope it works out for them.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 02:55:46 AM by Smakian »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2008, 03:00:21 AM »
They still have time, it was the e3 demo.

I will also throw in something I noticed, the AI does some stupid **** some times.

I played it twice where the AI was just running and not shooting at me, it would run behind me and just sort of run away for no reason even if it was within 5 feet of me.  If I just ignored it, it would run up behind me later and catch me off guard or I'd have to turn around and spend the time killing it.

I thought it felt real good, but I told them to implement a locking grenade throw like in Heroes 2.

Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 31, 2008, 03:09:50 AM »
Heh, assymetric coop could be nice, imagine one player running but all players having their own gun (make the player character a mutant freak for all I care) and all firing simultaneously.

This is consumerism, not the salvation army! It's not our job to pander to the developers!

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 31, 2008, 09:40:34 AM »
I played it twice where the AI was just running and not shooting at me, it would run behind me and just sort of run away for no reason even if it was within 5 feet of me.  If I just ignored it, it would run up behind me later and catch me off guard or I'd have to turn around and spend the time killing it.

HVS said that was part of the AI intellegence, to run away and hide if it was out gunned.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 31, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
Now I didn't have any problems with controls, which I thought was good considering you had to stand 3 feet from the TV.

I counted 5 different types of enemies: the shock troopers, the fast little green things, the flying bugs, the giant boss, and a larger, silver shock trooper.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 31, 2008, 12:43:16 PM »

HVS said that was part of the AI intellegence, to run away and hide if it was out gunned.

Well they should do it some other way because the level was too small and linear to have enemies running away and hiding, because if you follow them down you will be within in 5 feet of them and they won't defend themselves.  They should shoot backwards or something.

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 31, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
I don't understand the disconnection between accessibility and no spit screen. WTF

hahahahaha

No offense DAaaMan64, but your mistake is pretty funny.

Offline DAaaMan64

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 31, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
hmm.. I see the funny

Frozen Shoe Games

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 01, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »
i'm very disappointed in no split screen. I remember hearing otherwise. I don't care if its not as pretty I still want it.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 01, 2008, 11:30:32 PM »
Where does it say it WILL NOT have split-screen?

Anyone?

Like I said before, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #448 on: September 01, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 01, 2008, 11:34:38 PM »
Where does it say it WILL NOT have split-screen?

Anyone?

Like I said before, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Is the word of one of the developers when asked about it at PAX the evidence of absence?

J.P. Corbran