Author Topic: Rev store Demos?  (Read 4796 times)

Offline NRevolutionR

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rev store Demos?
« on: September 21, 2005, 11:13:23 AM »
Just had a terrifying thought, how can Nintendo make demos for retail stores.

I love the new controler, now that I understand its awsomeness, but I was just thinking about how hard it would be to do with the Rev.

I mean, have you ever been to a Wal Mart.

And would they include as the controler for the system, the remote, numchuk, shell, or a combo of the above?

Any thoughts
Quote<BR>    opĀ·tiĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. One who usually expects a favorable outcome<BR>    2. Bill Aurion<BR><BR>    Quote<BR>    pes'siĀ·mist<BR>    n.<BR>    1. A person who expects the worst<BR>    2. Ian Sane

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Rev store Demos?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:22:22 AM »
Nintendo is kind of screwed regarding this.  The controller requires movement but it has to be tethered down or people will steal it.  Maybe they could just have a REALLY long cord attached to it.  But even then people could drop it and break it.  Controllers don't move in store demos.  They're always is a stuck position so that they can't be wrecked.  That defeats the whole purpose of this controller.

If Nintendo can't get in-store demos working well then they have to have a HUGE demonstration campaign where they go from mall to mall and allow people to try it out under the constant supervision of Nintendo staff.  That can be hard though because they have to go everywhere.  With the Cube I had to travel an hour to see a demonstration before launch because they didn't go to my town and I don't live in a small area in the middle of nowhere.  They can't rely on people making a special trip to see the Rev.  If the place is big enough to have a Wal-Mart and a McDonalds then they should be there.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:25:37 AM »
there was rumors (back before the controller was revealed) that some nintendo rep said that the there probably wouldnt be any demos.  I find that hard to beleive, I hope they find a way, and you have to consider that there were rumors and "leaks" all around before the NRC was shown, and I dont remember anything mentioning that it would look like a remote for a tv.

EDIT:  as for the long cord idea, I could see people smashing the controller around, but you have to cosider that stuff in store kiosks get ruined all the time, I dont know how many times I have seen DS with the screen scratched to heck by some a**hole.  The point is that if someone goes into the store planning to bust up contollers, they can do it whether it is anchored or not
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline NotSoStu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:40:39 AM »
They'll have to pad the entire Nintendo area with pillows.

Pikachu pillows.

(Dun dun DUUUUUN!)
i haven't used this in years why is it the second result when you search my name asdfadsfasfa

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
RE:Rev store Demos?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 12:04:20 PM »
...eyetoy worked fine as far as movement goes...and for the cord, you could do one of those (i don't know what they're called) types that are on vaccum cleaners...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 12:08:06 PM »

They're always is a stuck position so that they can't be wrecked.
The best buy around here has regular controllers and regular cords, they're just positioned high enough to keep them from touching the ground (they also installed new flat panels for all the kiosks =D).  The cords would definitley be long enough to use for the Rev.  

I don't think room will ever be an issue, there are Eye Toy demos everywhere too..(oic, I took too long to post)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 12:11:48 PM »
"The point is that if someone goes into the store planning to bust up contollers, they can do it whether it is anchored or not"

I know.  But someone could innocently drop it in this case as well.

"I don't think room will ever be an issue, there are Eye Toy demos everywhere too"

I don't recall having to hold the Eyetoy in my hand as I play with it.  The issue has nothing to do with player movement, it's the fact that the CONTROLLER has to be moved around.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 12:17:30 PM »

I don't recall having to hold the Eyetoy in my hand as I play with it. The issue has nothing to do with player movement, it's the fact that the CONTROLLER has to be moved around.

Which is why I mentioned that an in-store demo can succeed with just a regular cord.  I only mentioned the Eyetoy because both will take up the same amount of space- that is, with both the Eyetoy and the Rev people are moving around more than they would with a conventional controller, just in case anyone wished to argue that space could be an issue.  It won't.

kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 12:19:59 PM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede
...eyetoy worked fine as far as movement goes...and for the cord, you could do one of those (i don't know what they're called) types that are on vaccum cleaners...

retractable cords, like the ones people use for ID/security cards that arer attached to the belt.

they could have an area set up, one big screen TV and four small poduim like stands that are kinda close to the ground(about 2-3 ft. high). 4 Remote Controllers, one at each podium, all attached to the poduim with a retractable cable. This would allow 4 player demos and for wild hand and body movements without the controller being pulled into uncomfortable positions, since the cord would be coming from straight down.

I think a set-up similar to that would work fine, you would just need the in-store space required to make it happen.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 12:25:44 PM »
Nintendo knows that they will have to market the heck out of this system. they need commercials on mtv, nickelodeon, cartoon network, and prime time NBC/ABC/FOX (i personally think Fox sunday nights would be best). Demos,,, well those might not ever come to pass -> something on the rev's box or near the display case needs to loop game footage and the manner of control.  
I'll shut up now...

Offline Nile Boogie

• that is why you fail
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 07:57:13 PM »
Me too on this. I'd rather them go on tour form mall to mall, movie trailers and TV specials. I want them to "Sell Sell Sell".  Anybody remember the "Cube Clubs" form the GameCube Launch. They had one here in Philly and It was a big hit. Hell even my mom went to see what the deal was.  They had it red rope, guest list and a line down the block plus Smirrnoff Ice, Booth Babes and Rouge Leader on a 30inch HDTV with 5.1 DD. The gotta do that again for the NRS. Good times indeed.

Nile Boogie is...

0699-9217-4212-6889

Philadelphia Penn, 19130

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 09:21:25 PM »
What does it matter if the Remote gets smashed? What?

"Oh no! A demo kiosk with a smashed controller! We must be in a store where there are 13 year olds!"

The smashed rev controller will fit right in with the PS3 controller with the nubs ripped off, the x360 controller that has chewing gum stuck on the botttom, the DS that has the stylus ripped off and the screen scratched with a car key and the PSP that has a nail from the hardware section smashed through the screen.

You know all of this crap wouldn't happen if stores would just simply BAN all males going through puberty from entering the store.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 05:53:43 AM »
Nintendo's stuff is usually pretty durable, I think people could drop the Rev controller innocently hundreds of times before it would incur the type of damage that most DS demo units have on their touch screens.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 07:07:10 AM »
They better get some Demos to stores...or else!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 09:09:58 AM »
Well a pipe with the buttons showing and the end out might work.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 10:12:17 AM »
.. and add to the mystery
I'll shut up now...

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 11:20:09 AM »

Originally posted by: BlkPaladin
Well a pipe with the buttons showing and the end out might work.

No way. I've been caught way too many times already playing with piping from the hardware department, pretending like it was a lightsaber. I'm not doing it in full view of the electronics department. No way.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 12:14:49 PM »
im guessing they will wire them to the booths, much like a arcade gun

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 12:36:40 PM »
I don't see how people are making a big deal about this.

Nintendo will find a way to have store Demos.  As well, you have to remember most games will be able to be played with minor hand movements, not huge gestures.  Nintendo will just demo a game like that instead of anything that requires huge movement.  

I am predicting this to be a complete 100% none issue.

Offline thepoga

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »
It won't be that hard. All they have to do is have the controller attached to some cord of certain length, and also have different controller hookups with each version of each demo. If you think its too much, look at the way they've attached bongo drums as the second controller for GC demos. It might even make it easier on stores to add new peripherals that lock on (so they can't be stolen) and change only the external part of the controller. The bad part would be not having the ability to play two players sometimes if one controller has the nunchucks and the other is the shell controller. But playing this way is really eye-catching. I've walked into ToysRus and watched this really krappy starwars game that detects motion(really badly btw) from this lightsaber peripheral. But it was still neat to watch despite the lack of quality in the game.