Author Topic: New PS2 Official Nov 1  (Read 7657 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New PS2 Official Nov 1
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:01:14 AM »
The rumors have finally been confirmed true.  A new PS2 model is being released this holiday season, on Nov. 1.  Pushed back a week from Oct 26, although I find that very odd.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it out on Oct 26 and possibly a PS2/GTA:SA pack in (rumored) to be available as well.

The new PS2 is 75% smaller than the current model, and alot smaller than everyone thought it would be.  It features everything the current model has and more, it includes the network adapter seemlessly built into the system.  The name will remain PS2 and will not be PStwo.  Goto Article/Pictures for more.  The price remains $150 but that includes built in network adapter ($39.99).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:New PS2 Official Nov 1
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:16:20 PM »
topic already posted
HERE

you added that it would be delayed to Nov. 1st and that it is even smaller than previously thought.

75% smaller!? that is gonna be about the size of a large portable walkman?  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 01:10:09 PM »
And I can also see that it is a top loader (it has to be), but I don't see the 2 usb slots and there is nowhere to hook up the HDD (that I can see).

Lots of pictures and comparisons HERE

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: New PS2 Official Nov 1
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 01:26:18 PM »
I don't like how it's a top loader because that effectively kills one of the advantages of it being smaller.  I would like a smaller PS2 because then I could fit it in my cramped entertainment system.  If it's top loading I can't stack it and now I need a certain amount of vertical space above it.  What's the point aside from portability?  Ironically a normal sized PS2 would probably fit better.

It must be great to own the HDD only to see Sony abandon it so soon.  Since this no HDD compatible model is going to be the new standard it means Sony is ditching HDD support.  There's no point in making a HDD game if people can no longer buy systems that play it.

I'm unimpressed though maybe now I can buy an old PS2 for cheap.

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 01:34:16 PM »
That looks awesome. I think I'll ask for one for Christmas...then I'll have all 3 consoles

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 03:00:12 PM »
From what I have read, SONY will be supporting both models, thier current SH000????Whatever & the PSTwo
so you should be able to decide which one suits you better

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 04:16:16 PM »
Hahhahah no they won't. Ohhay toploading ps2.. will make those funky slidekey mods redundant and easer to play import games I hope.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 05:22:35 PM »
The "vertical stand" is highly amusing, and I don't see how anyone will be able to press the "door release" button if two memory cards are inserted at the same time.

I'll stick with my super-silent 50001 series PS2 for now.

It must be great to own the HDD only to see Sony abandon it so soon.

It doesn't matter. Others have found much better uses for it than Sony ever would. HD Loaders are your friend.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 08:21:12 PM »
Sorry I started a new topic (I did make 3 posts in the other one), I figured many people wouldn't have seen it if it was posted in a rumor topic, so I made it official.

Most of the size difference is in width, PS2 model 1 being over 3 inches (w) and the new model being 1 inch (w).  It is smaller all around but it's length keeps it from being walkman type pocket size.

I don't see that it is a top loader, but nor do I see that it is a front loader.  I'd like a front loader but if it's top loading that will mean no more disc read errors (from the bad gear mechanism that caused 95% of them).  The two usb slots are right next to the controller slots.  

As far as HD support, I don't think Sony ever had a plan to do much with it for PS2.  Seeing that FFXI was going to utilize it though they came out with it, and including FFXI bundled furthers the fact that they may have released it to avoid having to deal with a bad situation with SquareEnix (SNES CD...).  Although there is also the fact that the people who buy a PS2 now, are mostly people with less money and casual gamers, the old adaptors who won't be inclined to buy the HD for a limited # of games for it.  So they will be displeasing a very small # of people, and there is the chance that they could release something to allow HD access or even a better HD model (not PS2 HD model, just a new HD).

As far as the door release I don't think it's where the memory cards are because there is an eject button to the right of the controller and memory card slots.  Looking at it closely, it does look like a front loader.  

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 09:35:29 PM »
I like top-loaders. I've always hated "trays." Too bad I already own a PS2 (I'm sure as hell not giving Sony money for a third, since the first gen of PSTwo is going to be as crappy as PS2)
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 10:23:48 PM »
You know what would REALLY get me to buy one? It's called a price drop and the PS2 could definitely use it.

joe: It's top loading, I've even seen pics ofthe top opening.

As for the HDD, I hear they have an endorsement deal with Duck Tape.

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2004, 05:29:26 AM »
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 12:54:20 PM »

As far as the door release I don't think it's where the memory cards are because there is an eject button to the right of the controller and memory card slots.

Yeah, you're right. I blame the pics I was looking at. This one shows the front a lot more clearly. I thought the left side opened up, and that "tab thingy" between the card slots was the door release. But it's just some decorative bit.

On the subject of top-loading, I usually prefer top-loading to front-loading, because it's simpler technology, so there's less stuff going on that can risk malfunction, but if the PSone's any indication, this unit's gonna be downright "cheap and flimsy". I'm already more confident in the durability of the front-loading PS2.

IMO, the least Sony could've done is give this new unit a price drop.

Sorry I started a new topic (I did make 3 posts in the other one), I figured many people wouldn't have seen it if it was posted in a rumor topic, so I made it official.

I'm not worried about it myself, but for future reference, if you're the original topic creator, you can change or update the topic of a thread by editing your first post. Lots of fun on April Fools Day, if you don't mind risking the wrath of the Mods.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 06:50:32 PM »
I've seen pics of it and I can't believe how small it is. Its not much bigger than the PS2 DVD cases. I mean if you stake two of them on top of each other....that seems about the size of it. Its funny, a friend and I were discussion how is the hard drive gonna fit and they canned support for it already. I mean isn't the FFXI expansion pack coming out after the new non HDD supporting PS2?

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 01:16:46 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
You know what would REALLY get me to buy one? It's called a price drop and the PS2 could definitely use it.

*nods head*  I've been thinking of getting a PS2, possibly next year.  Another price drop will be super sweet!

The super slim design looks nice, but I would've preferred it to be a front loader b/c I had the perfect space to put it in.

EDIT: oh ya, looks like we Aussie are getting it before the US and Japan (just a few days)!   Linky

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2004, 05:14:49 PM »
The smaller PS2 screams break me especially when its horizontal.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 07:20:14 PM »
So it is a top loader.  That is good news because like 95% of the disc read errors with the PS2 are from a stupid gear malfunctioning, a gear that is part of the whole tray deal.  The inconvenience of not being able to stack on it isn't as bad as the benefit of no more disc read errors.  Unlike the PStwo design, I dig the new design, especially that it's not much different from the original design.  With that said, I will buy the new model eventually, perhaps used or when it's almost out of production (long time). hehehe, I ain't paying more than $50.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2004, 04:32:54 PM »
Comic book guy sayz: worst console ever!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 05:00:25 AM »
No, there are at least twenty worse consoles out there.  I'm depressed because I wanted a screen on it like with PSOne

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 08:04:08 PM »
That would defeat the purpose of the PSP, and the attempt at getting portable market share.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2004, 12:58:20 PM »

No, there are at least twenty worse consoles out there. I'm depressed because I wanted a screen on it like with PSOne

But it's a completely pointless and idiotic idea. I just don't see why anyone would want it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 02:29:10 PM »

Originally posted by: TVman

No, there are at least twenty worse consoles out there. I'm depressed because I wanted a screen on it like with PSOne

But it's a completely pointless and idiotic idea. I just don't see why anyone would want it.

Well, if your a lamer like myself, you sit it beside your computer monitor and make your way through a game while reading a site like gamefaqs.