Author Topic: Some bland PSP news  (Read 11724 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: Some bland PSP news
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2004, 09:42:01 PM »
The point was that Sony is issuing warnings you have to follow if you want a decent battery life. The GB needed no such instructions. Of course, you  can make the batteries last longer but you don't need to for having a nice battery life. With the PSP, not following those warnings will drop your battery life below acceptable levels. Good->Great is a less important improvement than Bad->Good.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2004, 10:14:02 PM »
You guys can say all you want, but Sony has the consumer in its pocket.

You all know these PSP things are going to sell no matter how crappy they are.

For better or for worse, Nintendo isn't "cool" anymore... that belongs to Sony now.

I mean, come on. I have a friend who has replaced and cleaned his PS2 lens no less than ten times, and it's acting up again.

I'm fully expecting the PSP to sell more than the DS, but I'm also fully expecting that I'll be enjoying the DS more.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2004, 01:09:51 AM »
"The DVD-R's will basically be the game 'gold'. And they will easily make them not rewritable when they've gone gold."

No they won't.  The UMD disc that Sony converts for you will be the game "gold" i.e. printing disc.  Which means at that point in time, Sony has complete control of your product.  Hopefully they will be kind enough to send you a copy of your own game for your archives.

"To think that Sony will intentionally lose the copies of a game gone gold to them, for production, is beyond ludicrous."

I am in no way insinuating they would.  But it's possible, and the only reason it's possible is because Sony wants 3rd Parties to send in their games so they can convert it.  I mean Hey, this is the company that blocks games from North America just because they don't sport "cool" graphics, usually 2D.

Really though, why don't they trust 3rd parties with a UMD burner?  Do they think letting their 3rd parties have access to their format is piracy?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
RE:Some bland PSP news
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2004, 07:48:27 AM »
Hmm, Deguello you do realize nintendo does the exact same thing?  Developers sumit their games to big N in DVD-formats (doesn't matter which of the three GC developement kits since not one uses standard GC discs) who then converts and encodes the game on it's own  proprietary disc.    

And two, why the hell would developers care?  Would you like to spend $50,000 for a burner?  That's how much it's going end up costing ya for a GC burner.  :0.

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2004, 07:06:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello

No they won't.  The UMD disc that Sony converts for you will be the game "gold" i.e. printing disc.  Which means at that point in time, Sony has complete control of your product.  Hopefully they will be kind enough to send you a copy of your own game for your archives.

I am in no way insinuating they would.  But it's possible, and the only reason it's possible is because Sony wants 3rd Parties to send in their games so they can convert it.

Really though, why don't they trust 3rd parties with a UMD burner?  Do they think letting their 3rd parties have access to their format is piracy?

I said basically gold, not it is the definite gold disc.  Basically gold is close enough anyways, atleast it is for GC development.  Like they won't send the developers/publishers who made the game a copy...  seesh.  

In no way insinuating they would?  Then why did you say, "I dunno. What's to stop Sony from "losing" your DVD-R and then strangely have it show up when it doesn't compete with their own games, or worse, releasing an eerily similar game?"  

No they don't think it's piracy, but when preventing piracy for system developers is such a crucial issue (it costs them atleast double digit, if not triple digit millions per year), they take every logical step they can (Nintendo does the same).  You did see how easy it was for the Half Life 2 source code to get out right?

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2004, 10:15:25 PM »
Ymee, I'll have to check on whether Devs have GOD burners or not.  I always assumed they did, and I think I saw a dev in some bonus video with one.  And I also think the GOD disc the GC uses is something Mausthitisithiau... Panasonic's Japanese Mother company made.  For now, I'll concede that maybe the Nintendo does the same thing with the GC until I find out more info.  Besides you CAN buy a GOD burner.  Sony won't let you buy a UMD Burner.

"And two, why the hell would developers care?"

Some do.  Like EA.  They are HUGE control freaks.

"In no way insinuating they would? Then why did you say, blah blah"

I'm not insinuating that they are going to do it or would do it.  I'm insinuating that it is possible and that they CAN do it.  This might worry more 3rd parties that you think.

"No they don't think it's piracy, but when preventing piracy for system developers is such a crucial issue (it costs them atleast double digit, if not triple digit millions per year), they take every logical step they can (Nintendo does the same). You did see how easy it was for the Half Life 2 source code to get out right? "

Half-life Source was hacked by taking the keystroke logs and running it on a PC.  I fail to see where that factors in with Console/handheld piracy.  I think they should take appropriate measures to stop piracy, but shouldn't having a proprietary medium be enough?  Why be so restrictive?
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2004, 11:37:50 PM »
I think the problem with Sony is that they're no longer trustworthy. They reject games for inane reasons, it's likely they'll abuse their monopoly even more.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 01:18:24 PM »

The PSP's price and battery life are still top-secret, but will supposedly be unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show later this month, along with some actual playable games.

Gamespot

Surprisingly, SCE did not use the conference to announce the price of the hardware. Sony won't be announcing it at the Tokyo Game Show either--the official rationale is that the company will be using the reactions of the visitors to its PSP booth as one of the yardsticks by which it will determine the handheld's price. The handheld's release date hasn't been fixed either, although it's slated for release some time in winter.

By the way, there's a new PSP game list in the link, and some other stuff too...
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2004, 03:17:35 PM »
"Kutaragi said that he sees the DS as a new GBA model, while on the other hand he sees the PSP as a totally new handheld with next-generation specs."

This made me laugh...But then I realized that he was being serious and I felt an incredible urge to throw up...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2004, 03:41:08 PM »
Indeed.  Handheld consoles w/ strap-on battery packs and strap-on other things.  Then we'll have Dual Shock strap-on other things to give us nice vibrating sensations.

Then we'll have strap-on consoles and soon we'll all be walking around like Ghostbusters with rediculous electronics on our backs, slaving our humanity away to give rise to a race of robot puppies and ASIMO humanoids.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2004, 10:50:51 PM »
I'd happily do that if we'd get cute android maids as a byproduct...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2004, 11:57:56 PM »
Grrrr every game announced for PSP is a DAGGER through my BRAIN. I am not buying your freaking PSP Sony, and I wish developers would stop supporting it because I don't want to miss out on any games because I don't want to invest in a ten million dollar handheld gaming system, but I guess they can't refuse the money Sony is throwing at them.

I just had to get that out...

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2004, 12:27:58 AM »
Think of it this way.

If the PSP crashes and burns early enough so that the PS2 is still considered a viable release platform, any PSP games that aren't PS2-ports already are almost certainly going to get ported to the PS2.

"Metal Gear Acid: Substance" Only for PS2! (And maybe XBox Live)
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2004, 04:33:01 AM »
Even if the PSP does not crash and burn there's a high chance it'll end up with 75% ports. Look at the XBox/PC situation!

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2004, 06:46:18 PM »
The money Sony is throwing at them?  Sony isn't throwing money left and right to companies to develop for PSP.  Unless you meant that the throwing money is the idea that if companies release games for it they will make good $.  Or is Sony paying the companies to give them development kits?  Seesh

And Xbox game lineup being 75% PC ports?  More like the XB gets great 3rd party support, exclusives, many PS2 ports, and a decent amount of PC ports.  I speak objectively, I won't be buying an XB unless it goes to $50 before next gen.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2004, 06:54:44 PM »
Darkstalkers sold me on PSP, while I won't get it until next holiday season when it cost less than a small child that one game has me sold.  I don't see any fighting games coming out on DS which is a huge letdown for me.