Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 550744 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1300 on: October 25, 2010, 05:47:36 PM »
The DS Lite on the dimmest setting was still brighter than my television on max brightness. It seems to just be the nature of LCD screens, they are really, really bright. I'm sensitive to certain light, and the brightness of LCD just makes all of the colours look washed out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 29, 2010, 01:08:21 AM »
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/29/nintendo_3ds_demo_event/
Nintendo announced today that it will be holding a public 3DS demo event early next year. The event will be held on January 8, 9 and 10 (a three day weekend) at the Makuhari Messe just outside Tokyo (this is the same location as the Tokyo Game Show and last month's Nintendo Conference press event). Further details, and presumably a name for the event, will be announced later.
[...]
The January event will be the first time the general public will get to sample the 3DS anywhere in the world, Iwata noted.

He also said that although Nintendo currently has no plans for other large scale events (past pre-release Wii and DS demo events were held in multiple locations around Japan), it does have some plans in place to give players in other parts of Japan a chance to sample the system ahead of release.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 29, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »
Hopefully NOA will do a mall tour like they did for the Wii, this is a system people need to see to believe, and in America, malls are great because it directly targets the demographic who maybe wouldn't know of the sytem otherwise; moms, the elderly, and tweens who think the whole internet is facebook and twitter.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 29, 2010, 10:24:57 AM »
Space World is back.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »
Space World is back.
It died in 2001 when people bitched about Celda.

It is NEVER, EVER, coming back. And that makes me :(
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: October 29, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
It's a 3 day event from Nintendo, in Japan. No matter what they call it, I will still call it Space World. See? It's not dead.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 30, 2010, 12:05:29 AM »
It's not really dead as long as you remember it.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:40 AM »
I haven't kept track, but I have to imagine at least half the applauds I've given have been to Zap.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 30, 2010, 01:50:23 AM »
It's a 3 day event from Nintendo, in Japan. No matter what they call it, I will still call it Space World. See? It's not dead.
I would like to call the Nintendo Fall Summit that too, but old wounds won't heal. =(

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 30, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »
This topic is in Talkback: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32681.msg641222#msg641222

but I have more info about the 3DS Shop
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/101029/07.html
When we activate the shop for Nintendo 3DS, you will see the arrays of shelves by the themes. How to shift from one icon to another has become smoother, as you can see.
There are multiple software titles on the shelves sorted by their themes.
When you select a software title, you will see such options as checking the software details, watching a trailer, downloading a demo, and reading the users’ comments.
When you select the game’s details, just like you do with Nintendo Channels on Wii, you will see an explanation of the game and how long the existing players have been playing with the software and with what frequency. Directly from here, you can also visit the official website for that software.
When you select the movie option, you will see introductions of the content, such as trailers, before purchasing the software.
Other than the shelves for the software, there are places where you can see a list of the latest software or a list of the best-selling titles. You can search for your preferred software, and you can express your support for some software if you’d like to recommend it to other people.

With Nintendo 3DS, in addition to expanding the packaged software sales, we are aiming to pursue the new possibilities of digital content download sales.

edit: Talkback has been updated with a video that has this info dubbed over the silence of the previous video.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:00:41 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 30, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
Nintendo Bets Big on Social DS System
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704361504575552052178193756.html?mod=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews
While the games on social-network site Facebook or Apple's iTunes store tend to be less sophisticated than those played on a Nintendo hand-held, they allow users to play against friends or challenge strangers from across the world more seamlessly.

Nintendo says one of the new communication tools, StreetPass, finds and connects to a nearby 3DS machine even if the other party is a total stranger. The person doesn't need to be using the 3DS at the time in order to wirelessly link up and share data with another 3DS machine in the vicinity using a Wi-Fi connection.

The idea isn't entirely new. Certain games available on the current Nintendo DS offer a similar function called "Tag Mode" that lets players share game data, such as maps or character information. However, both parties need to be playing the game at the time in order to connect wirelessly from DS to DS. Nintendo said StreetPass offers broader potential for social interaction.

For example, Nintendo has showed a social network-like application called the StreetPass Plaza. On any given day, a 3DS owner may unknowingly cross paths with many other 3DS users. The virtual playpen displays a day's encounters, each as an avatar with some basic but not too revealing information: the person's screen name, the last game they played, when the "pass" took place and how many times the two have come across one another.

In a nod to privacy concerns, Nintendo says users will be able to disable these wireless features if they choose.

At a media event last month, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said the new features "encourage people to make it a habit to carry around the Nintendo 3DS devices wherever they go.

Not all new info, but I really hope this means that the DS is account based and not system based.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 31, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »
Apparently Nintendo is not interested in making the 3DS into a smart phone. Nintnedo could implement some kind of Skype system for online communication during gameplay.

http://kotaku.com/5677133/nintendo-says-no-thank-you-to-building-a-smartphone

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 31, 2010, 07:02:58 AM »
What they should add to that Streetpass Plaza is that after you pass someone, you can load a message for the next encounter perhaps challenging them to a game (the last one they played), or even just a simple hello. Perhaps even messaging over wifi for the same purpose. In Japan where such encounters are more likely this could be a used for a new dating sim, perhaps even without the sim. Speaking of which, it would be cool if developers could use the Miis of the people you Streetpass in games like Mario Kart, and Pilotwings Resort.

And BnM I'm thinking perhaps it was just part of rumors, but it has been mentioned before that Nintendo's more robust online system would ditch individual game friend codes, and use just one per system.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: November 01, 2010, 12:25:41 AM »
No more friend codes?

IT'S A DREAM COME TRUE. (I hope.)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: November 01, 2010, 01:47:40 AM »
All I'm hoping for is downloads tied to an online account and a single system code if a system code is even necessary.

Actually, the system code should be hidden in the background and everything should be done by username. It won't matter if I change my username everyday because when we accepted each other as friends, it really connected us by system code - which is tied to my account like my saves, and not to my system.

In other words, make it work exactly like Steam. Doesn't matter how often I change my name, you will still be my friend. Doesn't matter what system I log in from, I can continue playing from where I left off. (but obviously, if the system isn't registered to my account then I should need to log in everytime I use that system.).

Does that sound as reasonable as I think it does?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: November 01, 2010, 05:52:01 AM »
I think something was mentioned in a feature doc that you could do software transfers between DS systems. Limit was up to 5 times I think.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: November 01, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
BnM, sounds reasonable except for one thing; Streetpass gives your username to random strangers.

So instead of allowing people access to you through your username, they need your hidden, system based friend code, so you and parents know that the only people who can contact you are those you seek out.

So in essence it could work like how you said, but you and your friends will need to know each others codes, then are (likely) free to switch usernames as often as you would like, without needing to tell people your new name.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: November 01, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
You would still need to accept friends for them to communicate with you so it shouldn't be an issue.

I pass someone on the street and it shows them my current username which also has my system code embedded (for ID purposes incase we pass again, and again and again), and some other useless stats, but he can't contact me other than to send a friend request that I must accept before we can have any sort of non automated communication through our 3DS'.

If we simply pass everyday, it would still identify me by my systemcode regardless of how many times I've changed my code.

for example, I could pass GamerX123 around 8:15am every morning and his 3DS would read passed BNM 3x @ 8:15
and even if the next day I changed my name to BlueBomber, the next day his 3DS would simply read passed BlueBomber 4x @ 8:15
if the service was exactly like steam, then maybe it would allow you to click the name and see that he may have previously known me as BNM
and if changed my name again, it would say previously know as BNM, BlueBomber and any other name change I may have had since we've been crossing paths.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »
just saw an interview on ign.com with shigeru miyamoto in which he said that both 3d and 2d mario will make an appearance on 3ds
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:30 PM »
just saw an interview on ign.com with shigeru miyamoto in which he said that both 3d and 2d mario will make an appearance on 3ds
And we can all guess which one is going to sell better.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: November 02, 2010, 03:40:44 AM »
What if it was THE SAME GAME?  :Q

Some levels are 2-D and others 3-D.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 02, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »

thats not a bad idea actually, it worked on mario galaxy 2, although it wasnt really 2d, but looked like it.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 02, 2010, 02:52:33 PM »

Didn't Galaxy 2 basically feature that?

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: November 02, 2010, 03:00:41 PM »

yes, but it was not actually 2d, its the games camera system playing tricks.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 02, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »

yes, but it was not actually 2d, its the games camera system playing tricks.

Isn't that how most 2D games are made now, though?  The models etc. are 3D (because it's cheaper than making sprites), but movement is restricted to a 2D plane.