Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 550653 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #850 on: June 29, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
I highly doubt manufacturing could support the numbers needed for a successful no massive shortages worldwide launch.

While I agree that I don't think there will be a world-wide launch, I'm not sure why you think Nintendo cares if there are shortages or not.  History would tend to show that they don't.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 29, 2010, 06:47:12 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo somewhat liked having a shortage with the Wii and wouldn't be that upset if the same happened with the 3DS.  I think the Wii shortage helped the console from a marketing perspective.  It was a hot item and the fact that it sold out the second stores got copies maintained that image.  Owning a Wii was a status symbol.  The Wii remained in conversations because it seemed that everyone knew someone who didn't have it yet but wanted one.  Having stores putting up notices in their front window indicating that they have Wiis and when the next shipment comes in was like free advertising.  Joe Blow goes in and he sees all these notices about the Wii, which aside from a demo unit is nowhere to be found and he overhears some parent asking about them and he'll think "wow this Wii sounds like a big deal."  It's like how when a movie has sold out the first week and has people camping in line.  The film is obviously already a big deal but it really makes it look like it is as well.  I think it also makes up the mind for fencesitters.  They fluked out and found a store with Wiis.  Are they going to continue to debate the decision or just get the item now because they don't know when they have a chance.  It isn't the same as when they're everywhere and you can ponder your decision as long as you want.

So it might be good for Nintendo is the 3DS is this hot ticket item that sells out the second it arrives on the shelf.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 29, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
What if Nintendo just hired all their Deal or No Deal Booth Babes again and attached final 3DS hardware to their waist and just sent them throughout the entire TGS show floor. No Nintendo Booth, just a surprise Nintendo invasion of the entire Show.

Talk about Surprise of the show.

I have nothing to contribute to this except I used to train one of the Deal or No Deal women for years.

I can't wait for the 3DS to be sold out like mad. Ian makes a great point about people talking about the product who either have it or don't have it. And when life doesn't give you that easy going choice, the moment you see it you will snap it up because its rare. It's kind of like when I play Pokemon, I don't even try to catch them all in heart gold because I caught them all in Diamond. I have little interest in Shiny Pokemon too, I know there is nothing special about them and I don't work my butt off trying to get one. But when I just so happen to see one, I raise hell trying to get it.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo somewhat liked having a shortage with the Wii and wouldn't be that upset if the same happened with the 3DS.  I think the Wii shortage helped the console from a marketing perspective.  It was a hot item and the fact that it sold out the second stores got copies maintained that image.  Owning a Wii was a status symbol.  The Wii remained in conversations because it seemed that everyone knew someone who didn't have it yet but wanted one.  Having stores putting up notices in their front window indicating that they have Wiis and when the next shipment comes in was like free advertising.  Joe Blow goes in and he sees all these notices about the Wii, which aside from a demo unit is nowhere to be found and he overhears some parent asking about them and he'll think "wow this Wii sounds like a big deal."  It's like how when a movie has sold out the first week and has people camping in line.  The film is obviously already a big deal but it really makes it look like it is as well.  I think it also makes up the mind for fencesitters.  They fluked out and found a store with Wiis.  Are they going to continue to debate the decision or just get the item now because they don't know when they have a chance.  It isn't the same as when they're everywhere and you can ponder your decision as long as you want.

So it might be good for Nintendo is the 3DS is this hot ticket item that sells out the second it arrives on the shelf.

I agree, but this is a good strategy only if Sony doesn't announce a 3D PSP with ample stock. Also the 3DS is likely to sell out on its own accord, and being the only 3D mobile device in America-and only glasses-free 3D mobile in Japan (for now)-it will have tons of buzz. SO I hope Nintendo doesn't purposefully create a shortage, or unintentionally underestimate the demand for the system.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:04:33 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #854 on: June 29, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
I don't think a 3D PSP would mean squat since Sony would find someway to screw it up, just like they did with PSP Go.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/nintendo-really-wanted-saints-row-on-3ds-reveals-thq/

As part of a soon-to-be-published in-depth interview, Bilson commented to IndustryGamers, "Nintendo really wants to launch with a very balanced portfolio. They really don’t want it to feel like a kiddie platform. They were very clear: they really wanted Saints Row on it."

Bilson continued by talking about how the 3DS version is essentially a no-risk initiative for THQ and is ultimately designed to help sell the upcoming Saints Row 3. He elaborated, "Now, we know how those go sometimes: sure, the first party wants it, but is it really going to work? The interesting thing about the game is we were already making it. We were already making it as our Xbox Live game and in 3D also. It’s designed for 3D already. So the 3DS version is an incremental cost. It’s not a big startup cost. Anything in a transmedia play has a column called marketing in it. It’s also a marketing tool. So how does that game model for us? I believe it will do great, especially if Nintendo is going to go mature and really do a big mature campaign on it. It’s a killer game. It’s got all the weird humor of Saints Row, and also its existence is part of the marketing plan to sell Saints Row 3. Also, all these games have hooks where, if you play it, it unlocks things in Saints Row 3. If you play Saints Row 3, it will unlock things in the 3DS game or the Xbox Live game. I don’t know if I was clear about that, but all of our extension properties all connect and unlock things in each other."

When IndustryGamers asked Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime about attracting a mature audience to 3DS, he replied that it's more about "DS Plus," noting that Nintendo would add incrementally. "The way I would describe the market for the Nintendo 3DS would be the launch market that we had with the Nintendo DS plus the launch market that maybe PSP had. And the reason I frame it that way is we will attract all the Nintendo fans and all the Nintendo early adopters with products like Kid Icarus, and then we’ll incrementally add the consumer who loves Metal Gear, or the consumer who loves Resident Evil," he said.

Is Saints Row 3 coming to Wii? or does the 3DS version link up with the SR3 website or something?
But either way it's nice to know that Nintendo is taking a serious approach towards Matoor gaming.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:52:31 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 29, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
Wait.... so the 3DS is going to connect to the Xbox Live service? That can't be right... Some sort of website based DLC perhaps linked through the separate games.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #857 on: June 29, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »
No, the 3DS won't connect to Xbox Live (at least not based on his comments. He said that Saints Row 3, for whatever systems it gets released on, will unlock things in the 3DS OR Xbox Live Arcade versions. BNM could be right, it could be as simple as playing the game and then logging onto their site will unlock stuff in the 3D versions.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 30, 2010, 02:18:27 AM »
This is exactly what I've been saying. Critics have been saying that Nintendo only/mostly cares about the casual market and younger demographic. FALSE. Nintendo is a business and, as such, wants everyone's money.... they just never made a legitimate attempt at reaching out and grabbing that beautiful butterfly until now. I mean, they made half-hearted attempts, but it's nice to see Nintendo finally actively getting 3rd parties involved.

I hope this trend continues and carries over to their home console strategy. It's too late for the Wii, but for Nintendo's next console, I would be very impressed if Nintendo asked 3rd parties what they wanted to see hardware wise from the CPU/GPU down to the controller. I don't mean to say that they should build it for Nintendo. Rather, getting feedback from your partners is always a good thing. It should be a compromise. Nintendo should listen closely to what 3rd parties want so they know Nintendo takes their support seriously. That way, everyone wins.... except Sony and Microsoft.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 30, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
Gears of War creator interested in bringing franchises like Gears of War to the iphone, ipad and android.

http://kotaku.com/5575956/gears-of-war-maker-believes-iphone-ipad--android-are-the-consoles-of-the-future

If those devices can get those games, why can't the 3DS? I have been talking about Gears of War coming out on the 3DS and I would like to see it happen.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
I figure lots of people look to this thread, here is in interesting video interview with Miyamoto.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/110/1102866p1.html

RomanceDawn

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 30, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
Gears of War creator interested in bringing franchises like Gears of War to the iphone, ipad and android.

http://kotaku.com/5575956/gears-of-war-maker-believes-iphone-ipad--android-are-the-consoles-of-the-future

If those devices can get those games, why can't the 3DS? I have been talking about Gears of War coming out on the 3DS and I would like to see it happen.

Because it's probably a quick and easy game that costs $10.  Porting to the 3DS will cost more and the game will cost $40 at retail.  The iphone/ipad/android version would cost a 1/4 of that.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 01, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »
Get a load of this! Sony says Nintendo shouldn't bash 3D glasses!

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1103136p1.html

Sony wasn't thrilled about Nintendo's E3 2010 press conference where it continually reiterated its "no more glasses" messaging for the 3DS.

During an interview with IGN, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida responded by saying Nintendo's vision for 3D gaming is similar to theirs and that it shouldn't focus on whether or not glasses are worn.

"I have hope that they have a broader perspective with 3D," Yoshida said. "When you listen to what they are saying about the effect of 3D perspective to the games, they are saying the same message we are, but they don't have to bash some small part of what the other company is doing."

Yoshida later said the industry should advocate 3D development, and that Sony would like to work alongside Nintendo in promoting the new technology.

"I think as an industry we should preach this new perspective, from a very large cinema screen to a small portable, because that helps advancing the games and the game industry," he said. "We'd like to work together to promote 3D."

At the time, Yoshida admitted he hadn't actually played the 3DS yet, but said the glasses technology is improving all the time and that of course they'll be required for movie-like experiences.

"If you really want a big theater experience, of course you have to wear glasses," he said. "With the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after awhile."

Nintendo makes fun of Sony and they can't take it? Lame! I understand what Sony is getting at, but they need to go to hell with that statement.

RomanceDawn

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 01, 2010, 01:47:32 AM »
ahh! My baby monitor is screeching! i gotta turn it down, hold on.

ok back. Well I watched the whole press conference and the only thing Reggie said was, "Have you seen those glasses? Man, those glasses..." Instead of whining like babies they should be thankful they have other people's ideas to steal in the first place.

"With the latest technology, the glasses are light and you kind of forget you're wearing them after awhile."

Just like our wallets after buying them ha, ha
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 01, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »
Sony's just frustrated they might loose the upcoming portable war, which hasn't even started, and Nintendo is already ahead of anyone else. lol

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 01, 2010, 02:36:32 AM »
Oh really?  And what was Sony doing when they made the Move advertisement with that Kevin Butler character waving his hands all girly-like, claiming "no more waggle"?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 02, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
Anyone thing that this may have something to do with 3DS?
http://sharp-world.com/corporate/news/100702.html

Sharp Develops and Will Introduce New LCD Controller for Mobile Devices
Major Features
1. Enables dual display on two half-XGA (480 x 1024 pixels) screens at the same time,
an industry first
2. Supports output of full-HD video to externally connected LCD TVs, projectors, and similar equipment.
3. Features a high-speed serial interface (MDDI 1.2/MIPI) and a diverse range of other interfaces, including those for cameras, SD memory cards, and IrSimple™.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 06, 2010, 01:20:44 AM »

I imagine if Final Fantasy 7 was remade for the 3DS and it looked this good? Which games would my fellow forum people like to see remade for the 3DS?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 06, 2010, 04:49:23 AM »
I'd like new games. I'll take a couple remakes, but only a few and they have to be worthwhile.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 06, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »
I'd like new games. I'll take a couple remakes, but only a few and they have to be worthwhile.
Basically FFVI.

I don't even think Star Fox 64 may even be remade. Didn't Hideki Kamiya a few months back say he wanted a new Star Fox badly? That could be a secret Nintendo/Platinum project... maybe.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: July 06, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »
I imagine if Final Fantasy 7 was remade for the 3DS and it looked this good? Which games would my fellow forum people like to see remade for the 3DS?
I'd imagine a remade FFVII would look nothing like that since Square Enix has abandoned the super-deformed look. Also, considering Resident Evil was apparently real-time, Square Enix could probably do even better.

As for your second question: Final Fantasy VI. I'm such a slut for Celes......

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 07, 2010, 04:01:37 PM »
(1)I'd imagine a remade FFVII would look nothing like that since Square Enix has abandoned the super-deformed look. Also, considering Resident Evil was apparently real-time, Square Enix could probably do even better.

(2)As for your second question: Final Fantasy VI. I'm such a slut for Celes......
(1) To be fair, Tetsuya Nomura's best designs are the ones that are not realistically portioned when modeled in 3-D. I still think Brave Fence Musashi for the PS1 is where his designs really shined with the limitations of the PS1's graphic capabilities.

(2) And I'm a whore for Terra.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 07, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
So, Kojima said something about MGS 3DS being able to look better than the PS3 version. Could this be true?! How?!
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 07, 2010, 06:58:34 PM »
(1) To be fair, Tetsuya Nomura's best designs are the ones that are not realistically portioned when modeled in 3-D. I still think Brave Fence Musashi for the PS1 is where his designs really shined with the limitations of the PS1's graphic capabilities.
A matter of opinion though I meant, for the FF series, Square Enix has gone with strictly proportionate character designs. I expect the inevitable Final Fantasy VII remake to follow Advent Children's lead. And there's about a 0% chance of it appearing on 3DS. I would expect it on a home console.
(2) And I'm a whore for Terra.
I liked Terra as well though she was the start of a string of emo FF leads. FFVI didn't really have a main character, but you know what I mean...

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 07, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »
The 3DS could get a 3G network of ts own. http://kotaku.com/5581478/high+speed-cell-connection-could-come-to-nintendo-sony-devices

I am hoping for some kind of skype system. I wonder which one is more effiecient, 3G of skype? Which ever is the cheapest is best for me?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:42:07 PM by Kytim89 »