Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 550653 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #500 on: June 11, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »
I hope the 3DS top screen is just as big as a iphone 3GS screen. Bt I do not see the bottom screen being that big because of the d-pad, face buttons and analog stick/nub and Nintendo not wanting to sacrifice compactibility for size. They would have to space the buttons out from each other if the bottom screen is very big.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 11, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
I hope the 3DS top screen is just as big as a iphone 3GS screen. Bt I do not see the bottom screen being that big because of the d-pad, face buttons and analog stick/nub and Nintendo not wanting to sacrifice compactibility for size. They would have to space the buttons out from each other if the bottom screen is very big.

The screen on the DSi (regular, not XL) is only barely smaller than the iPhone's screen already. And I mean barely; by my judgment it looks like about an eight of an inch narrower and significantly less of a difference in height.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 11, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »
I want a screen that takes up the entire top portion of the DSi for movies.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 11, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »
3DS is actually going to have 3 screens. The 3rd screen is on the outside and takes up most of the top of the unit. You heard it here first, folks.

Ok, a 3rd screen on the outside,

a 4th screen facing outward so people can see what you're playing

and a 5th screen for movies. I think you'll need two pairs of speakers in addition to Dolby surround speakers. Anyone need something else? A Gamecube waffle iron port+cables? Cigarette lighter?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 11, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
I say 2 screens the size of the EVO 4G and I'll be more than happy.

If you put the EVO 4D on the DSL it actually looks like the FCC board.

I would love for someone to come up with a better mock up based on our findings here.  In fact, maybe a mock up of all the hype that BnM has come up with and speculated on.

This was drawn in probably 2 minutes, once in blue pen and scanned, but the lines didn't come out so welll, so I retraced it in black ink and scanned it again. Maybe someone can 3D render it if they get bored.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 11:08:27 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 11, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »
I say 2 screens the size of the EVO 4G and I'll be more than happy.

If you put the EVO 4D on the DSL it actually looks like the FCC board.

I would love for someone to come up with a better mock up based on our findings here.  In fact, maybe a mock up of all the hype that BnM has come up with and speculated on.

This was drawn in probably 2 minutes, once in blue pen and scanned, but the lines didn't come out so welll, so I retraced it in black ink and scanned it again. Maybe someone can 3D render it if they get bored.

This is exactly what I am speculating the 3DS will look like and good drawing. BnM, are slots for the SD card on the right side of you drawing? Lastly, put that EVO 4G on a DSi and that may be closer to waht I am also expecting.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 12, 2010, 01:41:40 AM »
BnM, do you mind doing a checklist of all the things we are expecting from the 3DS and then once it is revealed we can check them off and see how close we were to the actual product?

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 12, 2010, 02:03:11 AM »
I realize it's a quickly-made rough sketch, but you're forgetting the hinge.  And with that 'seamless' screen, the inside edges will be completely exposed when folded up.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 12, 2010, 02:10:59 AM »
Dual Screens with almost no bezel inbetween
Rumble or Haptic Feedback (through the stylus)
Tilt/Motion Control
3D Screen (x2?)
Touch Screen (x2?)
Multi-Touch(?)
Hi-Rez screens (854x480)
More Online Focus (3G enabled?)
3D Camera (x2? inside and out?)
SD card slot (64GB+)
Dual Media DS Card Slot (DS & 3DS Holographic)
GC<-->Wii Powered (closer to 360?)
DSWare (& AppStore?)
Full backwards compatibility with DS/i (not GBA)
Onboard flash (4GB+? please)
Virtual Handheld (this has to become a reality)
Netflix 3D support DAY 1 (a personal hope of mine... it's my list, I can add it if I want to)
Analog Stick
Holographic Storage/Encryption
Holiday 2010 Launch
<$200 price point (It's gotta be less that $229 for sure)
Animal Crossing 3DS @ Launch (GUI or system interface? pre-installed?)
10+ hour Battery life when in full use of all features.

Did I forget anything?

I realize it's a quickly-made rough sketch, but you're forgetting the hinge.  And with that 'seamless' screen, the inside edges will be completely exposed when folded up.

I thought about that, but like you said, it's only a quick sketch. The seamless bezel might be achieved with a slightly raised top edge on the bottom screen that would line up with the bottom of the top screen when the unit was open while also hiding the hinge.

I can picture it in my head, so if Nintendo wanted to make it happen, I'm sure they could find an even better way to make it happen. You know, billion $$$ designs and all.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:41:50 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 12, 2010, 02:37:28 AM »
I'd like to think the L & R buttons could be in a better place.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 12, 2010, 06:22:09 AM »
I was dropping a deuce this morning and thought that if the top screen of the DS was out facing (as Adrock sort of suggested) and slid out like a phone then tilted upward toward the player. Not only would that make it less battery intensive and more versatile, allowing the non-gaming features of the 3DS to be accessed without turning on the game player it would also make the joining of the two screens into one easier as the top screens thin bottom(facing toward the player when closed)bezel could be left behind when it slides.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 12, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
2 analog sticks, please. Some of us are left handed and would like to play games that require a stylus and analog stick.

I brought up the 3 screens thing in jest because what's better than 2 screens? 3. It's an interesting concept, but hardly practical. An additional larger high-res 3D screen would destroy any chance Nintendo would have of selling this thing under $200. There's only one game that would convince me to buy 3DS at launch and that's New Super Mario Bros. 3 (preferably based on Super Mario Bros. 3), BUT only if the hardware is sub-$200. Okay, I'm lying. 2D Metroid (Dread?) would also convince me. The price stipulation remains.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 12, 2010, 12:59:04 PM »
Basically price and games, but I'm such a Nintendo handheld whore that I might just buy it on day 1.

And data transfer for DSi to 3DS. Make it a reality Nintendo.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 12, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
I just remembered something I forgot from the list

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #514 on: June 12, 2010, 01:25:59 PM »
Nintendo is not stupid when it comes to pricing ($250 for a system that only supports downloaded games, has a smaller screen that it's other version, and screw over fans? no thanks). I will get the system no matter the price, but the highest I see Nintendo possibly pricing it is $200.

I won't speculate on possible features, I don't want to be disappointed if they don't come true.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 12, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »

I should probably add this too.
http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20090014522/fulltext.html

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 12, 2010, 02:22:18 PM »

I should probably add this too.
http://www.patentstorm.us/applications/20090014522/fulltext.html

Throw a Starfox logo on the front of that cartridge and we will have the first 3DS game. :cool;

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 12, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
I also forgot some sort of haptic feed back (according to stylus feed patent)
http://www.thetanooki.com/2010/02/22/nintendo-patents-rumble-stylus/

I would like there to be some sort of rumble in the stylus itself, but it's more likely to be through the stylus from the screen.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 12, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »
Isn't that just a thin vibrator? Girls will hate that thing. 3DS sales projections expected to fall sharply.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 12, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
I've seen everyone pointing at a $200 dollar price point.  I'm calling it right now and claiming that the release price will be $250.  Its just a gut feeling.  How much did the DS retail for when it first released?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 12, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »
$159.99?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 12, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »
2 analog sticks, please. Some of us are left handed and would like to play games that require a stylus and analog stick.

You know, I would have predicted only one analog stick, but I can definitely see Nintendo putting two of them on there for just that reason.

EDIT: The DS launched at $149.99.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 12, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
I'm gonna guess it launches at $179.99.  It's got to be less than that new iPhone.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 12, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
I meant there would be two screens but the top one always faces out to be used like a cell phone
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #524 on: June 12, 2010, 04:28:37 PM »
I've seen everyone pointing at a $200 dollar price point.  I'm calling it right now and claiming that the release price will be $250.  Its just a gut feeling.  How much did the DS retail for when it first released?

The DSi XL is their most expensive handheld ever, and it's $189.99. I don't see the 3DS being even as much as that over-priced PSP Go.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20