Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 675052 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#TeamButtons Wins Again!)
« Reply #1050 on: April 18, 2016, 10:23:23 PM »
It will be called:

Nintendo Do U Even Wii, Bro?
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: April 18, 2016, 11:26:43 PM »
Wii Wiilly sorry 4 U.

Shortened WiWiiS4U.
That's the name  of the console after the Wii're Sorry.

« Reply #1052 on: April 19, 2016, 10:49:45 AM »
 My vote goes to PWiiease Understand.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: April 19, 2016, 01:54:50 PM »
I think they should go "full reboot" and just call it

The Nintendo
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: April 19, 2016, 02:50:21 PM »
I think they should go "full reboot" and just call it

The Nintendo

Ah yes, let's introduce the same problem the Xbox 1 did where when talking about consoles in a historical manner you have to be very specific to avoid confusing the latest console in the brand with the first one.

Sony totally got it right when they came up with a pretty decent name for their first console and then just numbered them sequentially after that.  If Nintendo called the Super NES the NES2 and continued from there we wouldn't be having this discussion and I wouldn't at all be worried about what ridiculous name Nintendo is actually going to use.

Something with a noun would be a good idea.  We've already got a "station" and a "box" so that's a convention people are used to.  I really liked the Gamecube name, it's just unfortunate they decided to pair that with a purple lunchbox design.  How about the Nintendo GameConsole? ;)  That's a pretty meta idea and then Nintendo could sue competitors for using "game console" as a generic term.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: April 20, 2016, 01:00:50 AM »
No see they call it the NES in Japan and they call it the Famicom everywhere else.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2016, 04:46:16 AM »
Here is what I’ve been told by my sources close to Nintendo:

1. The big fundamental focal point (and overall goal) behind NX is to vastly increase the software output from Nintendo’s first party teams and studios.
2. To accomplish this, the entire process of how Nintendo develops and produces software has gone through radical changes.
3. There is a new strategy that was put in place to create and release first party software at a faster rate.
4. Multiple unannounced Wii U projects were moved over to NX.
5. The NX could potentially see the highest output of first party software in the company’s history. (I’m talking about the entire lifespan of NX. Not just one or two years.)
With that said, the NX definitely won’t be the **** show that we experienced on Wii U with three month droughts on a regular basis. At least not when it comes to first party software.

The hardware guessing game is a distraction to what I think will be the key shift for Nintendo in video games. What Rogers has written is a further evolution of the known integration of home console and portable console hardware teams and the melding of the competing EAD and SPD groups in to the EPD. The split attention on Nintendo caused by the vast hardware and firmware differences of the 3DS and Wii U has hurt Nintendo's software output for those platforms. To hear rumblings that not only will such gulfs be a thing of the past but also have the full talent of Nintendo focused on single platform (or a number of seamlessly similar platforms) is so potentially monumental.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: April 20, 2016, 07:30:37 AM »
Exactly. Nintendo's strength has always been its software from both a creative and financial standpoint. With at least a partial shared library, Nintendo leverages that strength by solidifying its output and creating a scenario in which one piece of hardware (typically console) doesn't have to be marginalized to save another piece of hardware. Ideally, Nintendo can compete in high and low end hardware markets, console being the former, handheld being the latter. It's a great idea that unfortunately took Nintendo well over a decade to figure out.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: April 20, 2016, 12:09:01 PM »
It's no surprise Iwata started Nintendo's huge restructure around 2011/2012 when the 3DS had a shaky start and they had to start focusing most of their studio's on making 3DS titles and it was also clear internally that Wii U development was going to be much harder then they thought.  They basically had to choose to save the 3DS and doom the Wii U before it even launched at that point, which I imagine was the final straw telling them their old development model wasn't working anymore. 

It's too bad Iwata isn't around to see this since it looks like his final acts of his presidency might have finally solved Nintendo's drought problems their systems have suffered for so long with.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: April 20, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »
Nintendo's drought problems have mostly come from weak third party support.  Nintendo's output on the Wii U was unacceptable but they shouldn't be in a situation in the first place where they alone has to keep the release schedule full.  I like how they felt they needed to address this and it should be a major improvement... but I hope they're not being too internally focused like they often tend to be.  Infrequent releases from Nintendo is not the ACTUAL issue, it's infrequent releases PERIOD.  Increasing first party output is great but they better not have neglected attracting third party support as a result or see increased first party output as a suitable replacement for third party support.  Without good third party support it's really just Nintendo making things less shitty.  The release schedule will still be full of droughts, just not Wii U level droughts.  But Wii U level droughts is pretty much the worst you could get while still considering the platform as being supported so going up from there is not an achievement.  Nintendo is right in knowing that there is a problem but I hope they see the full problem and not just one from their own isolationist perspective.  At the very least it looks like the NX will be an improvement over the Wii U so that's good.  I was afraid of the possibility of them just coming up with excuses (weak yen, "people don't like games anymore", "you're all wrong for not buying our product") and then doubling-down on stupid ideas.  They at least know something is wrong.

Though the vibe I'm getting from all the rumours is that there is little point in owning both the handheld and console.  If the library is virtually identical then you might as well just pick the platform that better suits your lifestyle.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: April 20, 2016, 02:44:16 PM »
In a single year, the NX will build a larger library of games than Wii U produced in three or four years.

This isn’t some hyperbolic statement. This isn’t speculation nor blind optimism. These aren’t my personal fan wishes either. Furthermore, my negative feelings toward the Wii U have zero influence on any of the information mentioned below.

I dunno sounds like hyperbole to me, I wouldn't be complaining if NX just has tons and tons of games straight out of the gate, but I think by expecting such you just set yourself up for disappointment. I can see them striving for faster output on NX through things like better management and stronger relationships with 3rd parties but a triple or quadruple increase in library size sounds like crazy talk.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: April 20, 2016, 04:22:49 PM »
I don't see it as hyperbole when you consider the maximum possibilities of how the 3DS and Wii U divided Nintendo's resources. Doing some fuzzy guessing in my head, I can see hitting the 2x mark when I think of all the 3DS releases during the times when Wii U releases were slim. The rest can hopefully be covered by changes to how Nintendo develops and produces games.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: April 20, 2016, 10:03:07 PM »

Total hyperbole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo#Wii_U

Go to the Wii U section and pick any combination of 3 years you desire. That's what you're going to get in a single year of NX?
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1063 on: April 20, 2016, 10:19:49 PM »
Meh, Amiibo prints money so there're fine.
Made you look ****.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1064 on: April 20, 2016, 10:42:19 PM »

Though the vibe I'm getting from all the rumours is that there is little point in owning both the handheld and console.  If the library is virtually identical then you might as well just pick the platform that better suits your lifestyle.

This to me is a good thing.  I would rather Nintendo tell gamers look you can play our games the way you want to play the games with a handheld or console.  Sure maybe the console game might look prettier and have local Multiplayer via a TV, but the game is available as a handheld and is perfectly functional.  There will still be Nintendo fans that will want to own both systems and play whenever they want to.

Obviously, I do not think this is what Nintendo is doing, but it should be.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: April 21, 2016, 02:06:58 AM »
Total hyperbole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo#Wii_U

Go to the Wii U section and pick any combination of 3 years you desire. That's what you're going to get in a single year of NX?

Now that I look what Nintendo has developed and published, yeah kinda. By themselves, Nintendo has a shot at 2 years worth if the merger of home and portable console software efforts combine in an idea manner. If deals and relationships with second party, close partners, and (some) third party groups pan out in some favorable direction, I could see that third years worth.

The Wii U release calendar has always been slim pickings. Maybe the changes Nintendo is undergoing in its hardware and software divisions will change the pattern significantly.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:21 PM »
How many WiiU and 3DS games combined does Nintendo typically release in a year?  Wouldn't that be the approximate output for an NX year?  It would probably be a little less since the games have to be HD for the console but anything greater than their current output rate over both platforms is a ridiculous guess unless they've expanded their development teams... or plan to make shittier games.

A quick count revealed 17 games last year but that includes remakes like Majora's Mask and some outright trash like Devil's Third (and there is probably eShop stuff I'm forgetting).  Maybe one game a month would be a realistic figure?

Offline killthenet

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 21, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
One quality Nintendo title a month would be a really good average. I think the number they've developed in house has gone down over the last year due to the restructuring - and they've outsourced a lot of titles to other developers like 'Star Fox' with Platinum and 'Twilight Princess HD' with Tantalus. Hopefully they continue with those sorts of tactics to ensure a more consistent release schedule and form more partnerships with third parties.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 21, 2016, 10:19:21 PM »
Devil's Third isn't outright trash.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 21, 2016, 10:42:17 PM »
You keep telling me that, but they won't lower prices anywhere so I can't disprove it!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 22, 2016, 03:26:36 AM »
You keep telling me that, but they won't lower prices anywhere so I can't disprove it!

It's like precious gold, it will only go up in price!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 22, 2016, 08:32:14 PM »
It's Ian Sane, any game he doesn't like is deemed as trash, whether or not it is any good is irrelevant.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
You can buy the game for $50 on Amazon with original case, but no manual. Slowly they will drop and we will be able to enjoy our mediocre over-the-top shooty-shooty experience.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1073 on: April 24, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »
It's Ian Sane, any game he doesn't like is deemed as trash, whether or not it is any good is irrelevant.
I heardz my name!?
Devil's thrid sucks poopy dick!
Made you look ****.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 25, 2016, 01:16:56 PM »
Oh I'm sorry.  I'm out of line in calling a game that has an average review score of 43.56% trash?  A game that got an almost universal negative reception, that was released so under-the-radar that physical copies are rare because NOA didn't really want you to notice it existed because they knew it was so shitty?  I'm out of line there?  REALLY?  Review scores are typically inflated and practically nothing gets under 50% so for Devil's Third to end up under that mark must mean it REALLY sucks.  But go ahead and stand up for a game that this very site gave a 3.5/10 score on.