Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 675103 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#TeamButtons Wins Again!)
« Reply #975 on: April 14, 2016, 03:43:15 AM »
Yes, we've established that you feel that way about EAD Tokyo, but you're in the minority there. And while I'd agree that it'd be neat to see Retro get to do their own thing, I doubt it's going to happen. I think they're making Metroid again, for better or worse.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 14, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »
Yeah, I hear you. ESPECIALLY if they're working with Sakamoto. If not, well... they're still probably working on it.

And hey, at least I like EAD now.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #977 on: April 14, 2016, 06:59:03 AM »
Retro needs to finish the fight that began when they purged all the people who make bad games in '08. So Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 if they're not making something new.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 14, 2016, 09:28:26 AM »
Yeah, I hear you. ESPECIALLY if they're working with Sakamoto. If not, well... they're still probably working on it.

And hey, at least I like EAD now.

What about Jungle Beat? That was their first and, in my opinion, best game.

I'd love a sequel. NX to have a compulsory bongo controller?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 14, 2016, 12:36:55 PM »
Retro needs to finish the fight that began when they purged all the people who make bad games in '08. So Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 if they're not making something new.

The "Donkey Kong Country Returns" name needs to be old Yeller'd the same way New Super Mario Bros needs to be. 

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #980 on: April 14, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »
The DKCR series, while worthy of it's critical acclaim, is one of Nintendo's least "sexy" franchises.  It's just not a series that invokes excitement.  I just really don't think launching a new home console with a 2D platformer in the year of Arceus 2016 is going to win people over.  I think the 3rd option for Retro would be best.  While I personally would prefer a new Metroid, it's hard to argue it as a system seller.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 14, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »
Nintendo should want to avoid being too Wii U-like with the NX.  What was the big joke about the Wii U lineup?  That it was all 2D platformers!  So if EAD busts out a new NSMB and Retro a new DKCR as their first NX titles it's just playing into their detractors' hands.  I don't dislike 2D platformers but you might as well bust out Pac-Man style maze games and text adventures for all the selling power such a genre has in 2016.  Games like that came across as old fashioned on the N64.  A new console needs some pizazz.  Save the retro throwbacks for after the console is established.  They'll sell if there is an established user base as the Wii can attest to but will not move consoles.  The NX needs killer apps and that means games that are grand and ambitious and come across as something that couldn't be done on prior consoles.  DKC was done on the SNES.  The sort of person that would buy a new console for DKC probably did buy a Wii U for Tropical Freeze.  They're too small of a group.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 14, 2016, 04:17:15 PM »

The "Donkey Kong Country Returns" name needs to be old Yeller'd the same way New Super Mario Bros needs to be. 

They at least only used it for the first game. They were still calling New Super Mario Bros. new the fourth time they did it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:24:16 PM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 14, 2016, 04:47:49 PM »
I'm currently slogging through a very long thread on NeoGaf for any updates on 10k's info. I'm on page 20 of 72. I wish BlackNMild2k1 would take a break from the Marvel thread and post rumors like he used to so I can go back to being lazy while someone else does all the sleuthing for me.

Until I come across any juicy NX details, I'm honestly just waiting for Ian Sane to say the GamePad is expensive again. I should just bookmark my last post so I can copy and paste it later.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #984 on: April 14, 2016, 09:44:33 PM »
The new rumor* on the streets is that the Retro Studios game is actually Donkey Kong 64 Returns.

*that I just made up
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 14, 2016, 10:40:18 PM »
Donkey Kong Returns Tropical Freeze is one of the finest games of the last 10 years. However I agree that it's not the most "Sexy" of picks to launch a console.

Here's the thing, If Nintendo launches (window) the NX with some of my expected 3rd party titles (I fully expect Final Fantasy XV and Call of Duty: Future Warfare) plus Zelda, Mario Galaxy 3 and whatever Ubisoft( Just Dance, Ea and Skylanders, there might be room for one more DKC game.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 14, 2016, 11:30:01 PM »
Retro's Donkey Kong Country games are probably my two favorite 2D platformers since Mario 3, but doing another one isn't going to sell anyone an NX. The more I think about it, the likelier it seems that they're doing another Metroid game. It's something they have experience with, and would do more for the sales and street cred of the NX to have that than DKC. I don't think Nintendo trusts them enough to let them do their own IP, partially because of the turnover and partially because I'm not sure they'd trust any western studio to do that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #987 on: April 14, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »
The new rumor* on the streets is that the Retro Studios game is actually Donkey Kong 64 Returns.

*that I just made up

I'd buy that at a moderately high price.

Retro's Donkey Kong Country games are probably my two favorite 2D platformers since Mario 3, but doing another one isn't going to sell anyone an NX. The more I think about it, the likelier it seems that they're doing another Metroid game. It's something they have experience with, and would do more for the sales and street cred of the NX to have that than DKC. I don't think Nintendo trusts them enough to let them do their own IP, partially because of the turnover and partially because I'm not sure they'd trust any western studio to do that.

Lord, I hope you're wrong.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 15, 2016, 12:00:11 AM »

Street cred? Yes. Sales? No way.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 15, 2016, 12:22:45 AM »
Just the game would sell worse than DKC, but in terms of selling the system, I think Metroid would help more. The kind of people who'd buy NX for DKC were going to buy the thing anyway. Metroid is a different kind of thing from the rest of what Nintendo does, and would get more people to consider it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: April 15, 2016, 12:23:26 AM »
Yeah, Tropical Freeze is one of my favorite games of all time, in a radically different genre from the Metroid Prime games, which are also some of my all time favorites. Playing through it on hard and watching the top speed runs really pounds in how fucking masterful everything about it is. I would be pumped to play a third game.

But they should do another Metroid next. If they can get even half as ahead of the curve as they were with Prime 1, it'll be worth it as an enthusiast prestige title even if the sales aren't huge. Probably no launch title games will do much over a million outside of a Mario platformer, so I think the timing is right for Retro to shift gears again for a title or two. Tanabe said he has a hook ready to go for Prime 4, so hopefully they've healed their working relationship.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 15, 2016, 12:48:36 AM »
I would still bet one billion dollars with anyone here that Retro's next game is going to be a Metroid and I'm 99% sure it'll be Prime 4.  Once again, the whole reason we got Tropical Freeze in the first place is because DKC Returns sold over 6 million copies, which is more then the previous 3 Metroid Prime games sold combined.  Well Tropic Freeze only sold a little over 1 million, which is around what Prime 2 and 3 both sold.

Since the last Donkey Kong sold around what the previous Metroid before Returns sold, it gives Nintendo a reason to make Metroid again since Donkey Kong isn't exactly a bigger prioritize sales wise.  Actually it gives Nintendo a bigger reason to have a Metroid around the launch of the NX, since the sales show something like Donkey Kong thrive later on in the systems life when it has a much larger userbase, while a more hardcore series like Metroid would be better for the early part of it's life when it needs all the hardcore attention it can get to help drive early sales and hype.

And since Metroid Prime 1 is the best selling Metroid of all time, and Prime 3 is the last Metroid that didn't split the fanbase, it makes sense Nintendo would want Prime 4 since not only would that be the best bet to unite the fanbase again after Other M and Federation Force, but it the kind of game that will give a lot more variety to their upcoming lineup as well.  Yeah Tanabe said at last year's E3 they weren't working on it yet but he also said back in 2011 that Retro wasn't working on a sequel to Returns and we all know how that turned out.  Seriously, Nintendo execs have lied about what games are in development before and how far they are before so I wouldn't take his words too seriously.  I wouldn't be surprised if they've been working on Prime 4 since at least 2014, and it's planned on coming out sometime Early 2017, only to get delayed to the later Summer slot like Prime 3 did.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 15, 2016, 03:01:25 AM »
I love Donkey Kong (agree that Tropical Freeze is a masterpiece) and I love Metroid Prime (also one of the best games of all time). So I'm conflicted, but I definitely think Metroid is the way to go.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 15, 2016, 03:28:34 AM »
I'm currently slogging through a very long thread on NeoGaf for any updates on 10k's info. I'm on page 20 of 72. I wish BlackNMild2k1 would take a break from the Marvel thread and post rumors like he used to so I can go back to being lazy while someone else does all the sleuthing for me.

Until I come across any juicy NX details, I'm honestly just waiting for Ian Sane to say the GamePad is expensive again. I should just bookmark my last post so I can copy and paste it later.

LOL. If I had the time before, during and after work that I used to, I would probably be more engaged in the upcoming gen rumors/info.
And if that was the case, this thread probably wouldn't exist, as the Rumor thread would have continued to grow instead.

But I do now like being able to pop in here once every few weeks and see if anything of note has happened. So thanks guys for carrying that torch.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 15, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »
This whole back and forth about which game to make is the very problem with Nintendo. It shouldn't be do they make a Metroid or do they make a DKC, there needs to be both. They obviously can't have the same studio doing both so they need to divide their resources better. Having just a new Metroid, a new Mario, and the Wii U up-Ports or just having a new DK, a new Mario, and the Wii U up-ports are both going to have the same impact on sales and excitement for NX, in that people will shrug them off as whatever.

They obviously can't have all the big franchises out at once, nobody in their right mind should expect that, but they damn sure need to have everything on NX they can get. This bullshit of juggling the franchises around every generation is what pisses gamers off an alienates them the most. Wii might have been **** as a console in terms of horespower and the waggle hurt it more than helped it, but it had a damn solid line up of games, but only if you like retro gaming. Nintendo can't bank entirely on retro gaming anymore they desperately need to be relevant again.

What they need is to rush, yes rush, the quick and dirty up-ports as fast as they can while giving the major studios a new Mario, a new Metroid, and a new DKC, but then they need to shift to the stuff gamers have baan asking for, a new RPG that isn't paper Mario and then do a Paper Mario latter when the sales are there, a new more ambitous F-Zero that excites that crowd, but let that come after a new Mario Kart which will help bring in the rest of the racing crowd.

There is another problem with NX though, it can have a Game Pad or touch screen no problem but it had better not have motion controls period unless VR is a part of it at some point. If there isn't going to be any VR then move beyond motion controls and get back to the damn basics.

Nintendo also can't bank everything on just a few key titles, the whole point of consolidating is to increase output which means we should be getting as wide a variety as possible each year. If Mario launches with the system Metroid needs to be there save DKC for next year. Work towards a massive dungeon crawler type game in the style of Kingdom Hearts with Nintendo characters that makes good use of the Amiibo craze and get that out within year two. if they can up-port Smash and just focus on DLC characters, make a MAJOR deal out of launching Ice Climbers that will generate some buzz. They also need to set aside a team that does nothing but ports VC games so they can get 10 or more games out a week, preferably more.

The VC team and up-porting teams could work together to get some HD remasters going. If Nintendo could do one major franchise game a quarter like they are know for, but also step up VC and remasters, say do one every three months or so they could really increase interest in the machine. Focus on doing N64 and Game Cube HD-Remasters but don't do them like Wind Waker HD where they bank on it being a major release title, do it as an and one type deal, here is a new Pikmin game and a Super Mario 64 HD remaster 4 player, here is the new NX Mario Party and Star Fox Adventures HD remaster with alternate ending and streamlined game play. Here is the new Animal Crossing and Ocarina of time HD Remaster with whatever new content they can dream up, have a new Hd remaster to coincide with the every major title and ten new VC console games a week the hard core and casual Nintendo gamers come back and that gives 3rd parties incentive to return too.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 15, 2016, 12:09:58 PM »
Supermario2K makes me appreciate the brevity and variety of Ian's posts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 15, 2016, 12:22:22 PM »
Depressing how Retro is destined to pump out games with only moderate success. They need to take the pulse of gamers; DK and M are good series but maybe they need to take a nap and look at Splatoon/Sunset Overdrive/90s retro as the next craze. Splatoon First Person Adventure anyone?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 15, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
The two genres that you see the most these days are open world and FPS and Nintendo really hasn't had anything to offer in either genre.  Splatoon is similar to an FPS and they're making an open world Zelda so they're kind of moving in that direction.  But the HD era of consoles started a little over 10 years ago so that's the videogame world a teenager today grew up in.  What does a young person that never experienced Nintendo prior to the Wii think of them and their games?  What does a game like DKC Returns look like from those eyes?  I imagine games like Halo and GTA are as standard of a template of videogames for these people as Super Mario Bros. was for me and a sidescrolling platformer probably looks as ancient as single-screen score based games looked to me.  Metroid Prime will come across as more modern than DK just simply by being first person.

Nintendo plays a lot to nostalgia but that's catering to a pretty old demographic now.  If the NX launches this winter I'll be just shy of 35.  We're talking an age group that's almost certainly at least 30 and into their early 40s.  People that age have careers and families and don't have the time to just slurp up games like kids, teens and young adults do.  For younger people Nintendo are probably that old company that did that Wii Sports thing.  What will Nintendo have for the NX launch that will attract those people's attention?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 15, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
That's a nice, inquisitive, and positive post. Thank you.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:02 PM »
Retro has earned the privilege to make whatever game they want. If that is Donkey Kong, Metroid or whatever. Actually, I wouldn't mind if they mixed the 2 and made Metroid Dread, 2D game using the Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze engine, modified of course.