Author Topic: Switchmas Eve Rumors and Speculations Thread  (Read 675157 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: NX Rumors and Speculation Thread (#TeamButtons Wins Again!)
« Reply #900 on: April 04, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
Those rumoured details are so realistic that you don't need a leak.  You can just throw it out there with a good chance of being proven right.  The only way I see that not being the NX is if Nintendo does something really weird that no one could predict.  Of course it's Nintendo so being weird might be the more likely option.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 04, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
-The NX will have a rechargeable battery of some kind.
-It will feature a power button.
-There will be a new eShop for it.
-It will not only play games but also have some sort of video service(s).
-The controller for the NX will be a controller.
-It will be HD and will not work with an RF adapter (this one could be false).
-There will be a power LED indicator light so you'll know when it's on.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 04, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »
-The NX will have a rechargeable battery of some kind.
-It will feature a power button.
-There will be a new eShop for it.
-It will not only play games but also have some sort of video service(s).
-The controller for the NX will be a controller.
-It will be HD and will not work with an RF adapter (this one could be false).
-There will be a power LED indicator light so you'll know when it's on.

-It will have a completely functional and easy-to-use UI and webstore that will be universally condemned

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 04, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »
So are today's Reddit rumors the first time X86 has been specifically linked to NX?
Specifically? I think so. AMD has been seemingly hinting at it as far back as December 2014, never mentioning Nintendo or NX. Devinder Kumar, AMD's Chief Financial Officer, stated AMD scored "design wins" for products to be introduced in 2016, one x86 and the other ARM. Everyone naturally assumed at least one, maybe both was Nintendo. This gets a bit crazier with the all-but-officially-confirmed PS4k. Is one Sony and the other Nintendo? I'm about to throw this speculation cap in a hobo trashcan fire because as much as I like talking about shiny, new hardware, this is getting out of hand. I was starting to lean toward the ARM camp though.

As for the Reddit rumor, the poster has apparently been verified by a moderator, but no one knows how strict Reddit is or what their process for verifying is. It's gotten to the point where the Reddit moderator signed up for NeoGaf (currently awaiting approval because that's a thing you do on NeoGaf to start posting) in an attempt to coordinate with NeoGaf's moderators to re-verify the Reddit poster. What the fuc...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 04, 2016, 11:28:27 PM »
I am curious what rumors were like before Wii U was announced. I do remember reading up on Wii before it came out but then I think most of the focus was on speculating what the controller might be like and deciphering the "2-3 times as powerful" comments.

I don't remember what leaks were like and how accurate those predictions turned out being.

Well, I've got quite the reading selection for you ;)

The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*

and to bring it all into one indexed thread....

Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 04, 2016, 11:38:10 PM »
According NeoGaf user LCGeek (who posted proof that he had info on both Wii and Wii U's CPU, and he hasn't been banned) is claiming info on NX's CPU: NX > Xbox One > PS4.

Note: this is only regarding CPU. He doesn't have info on GPU or RAM.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 05, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »
I am curious what rumors were like before Wii U was announced. I do remember reading up on Wii before it came out but then I think most of the focus was on speculating what the controller might be like and deciphering the "2-3 times as powerful" comments.

I don't remember what leaks were like and how accurate those predictions turned out being.

Well, I've got quite the reading selection for you ;)

The OFFICIAL Big N rumor thread *bring your own salt*

and to bring it all into one indexed thread....

Wii U in Review (News & Rumor Consolidation)
Those were the days. With the onslaught of Directs in recent years, it made sense that the rumor thread ran out of steam, but with the upswing of leaks and such as of late reminded me of those threads.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 05, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »
Well that shouldn't be hard, the CPUs in both the PS4 and XB1 are relatively weak 1.6 and 1.75ghz Jaguar CPUs. Especially compared to how beefy the 360's 3.2ghz Triple core Xenon was in 2005.

People complain that the Wii U CPU is underpowered for its time, but MS and Sony's latest entries are underpowered as well. With the X86 architecture, it's even more apparent.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 05, 2016, 02:07:22 AM »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 05, 2016, 06:01:29 AM »
Well that shouldn't be hard, the CPUs in both the PS4 and XB1 are relatively weak 1.6 and 1.75ghz Jaguar CPUs. Especially compared to how beefy the 360's 3.2ghz Triple core Xenon was in 2005.
Regardless of difficulty, it's still encouraging that NX (potentially) features a better CPU. That was considered the weak link on both PS4 and One. If Nintendo transitions to x86-64, it would practically have to go out of its way to feature a processor with less computing power. With a new chip design, Nintendo is effectively starting over so it doesn't get the same cost-saving benefit of tweaking one it used for like 10 years.

Offline supermario2k

• Totally not The Rat. Really.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 05, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
I haven't been keeping up with computers much but I thought they stopped getting faster and were focusing more on RAM and stuff like that maybe I am wrong.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:59:58 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 05, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »
The Jaguar CPUs in the PS4 and Xbone are much more powerful than the CPUs from the Xbox 360 and PS3. Clock speed doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. For the same processor type, sure, faster is better...but you're basically comparing apples to oranges with these.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 05, 2016, 09:05:21 PM »
For the same processor type, sure, faster is better...but you're basically comparing apples to oranges with these.

Apple spent millions on marketing for years and years trying to make people understand that to no avail.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 05, 2016, 09:24:14 PM »
The Jaguar CPUs in the PS4 and Xbone are much more powerful than the CPUs from the Xbox 360 and PS3. Clock speed doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to. For the same processor type, sure, faster is better...but you're basically comparing apples to oranges with these.

I know, I'm saying for 2013, they weren't all that and a bag of chips. Where as for 2005, a 3 core Xenon was YUGE.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: April 06, 2016, 01:14:12 PM »
Nintendo is re-branding their logo, in a manner of speaking.

http://mynintendonews.com/2016/04/04/nintendo-looks-to-be-going-back-to-red-in-its-marketing-and-logo/

A minor move but one I like.  The grey logo is associated with Wii/Wii U era Nintendo.  Changing the logo, at least from a branding perspective, suggests that the NX is the start of a new era and that is how they should market it.

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 07, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
So news has gotten so slow the world of Nintendo has resorted to discussing the logo. I am wondering how much longer people can maintain any sort of anticipation for this thing if they don't give us something to talk about soon.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
It's Nintendo's fault for announcing the thing 18 months before the E3 they would present it. However, think of it like this- we could either have people railing on the Wii U for being dead in the water, or we can have people cautiously optimistic, yet skeptical of the NX.

That hasn't stopped people from doing both simultaneously, of course, but those people are disappointing in their own right.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 07, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »
NX was announced March 17, 2015 so a little less than 15 months. Either way, Nintendo handled that the best way it could. Announcing NX coincided with announcing its partnership with DeNA. Had Nintendo not announced a new platform alongside its mobile push, it would have had to deal with speculation that it was leaving the hardware business considering how poorly Wii U was doing which would have tanked its stock. The timing was all intentional. Nintendo announces its partnership with DeNA right before the end of fiscal year then released its first mobile app, Miitomo, right before the end of the next fiscal year. It got to map out future while downplaying just how poorly Wii U was doing.

And not talking about NX since announcing it was also the best way to handle that situation. Nintendo had to throw Wii U under the bus except it was still stuck with the console for what, another 20 months. Wii U was getting replaced sooner rather than later, but Nintendo really had no other choice other than to continue supporting it. Not an ideal scenario by any metric though Nintendo surprisingly handled it well all things considered.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 07, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
The revised title of this thread, #TeamButtons Wins Again, always makes me think of Red Buttons. But then, he rarely won. He was usually the lovable loser.

That is all. You may now resume your regularly scheduled rampant pointless speculation.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 07, 2016, 06:01:27 PM »
Adrock makes some good points except they didn't do ALL they could, they could have opened the flood gates on the Virtual Console, they could have made some quick and dirty ports of Game Cube and Wii games, more than they what five that they did? They could have spent less time/money/resources on DLC for the handful of games they do have and threw all of that at even just one more small time franchise to get something else out there. They threw Wii U under the bus because they were side tracked with the money making machine called Amiibo and then forgot that NX was even out there.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 08, 2016, 01:25:38 AM »
Speculation time!

What if the NX hand held is super cheap at $99us and can be used as controller, and the NX console is heavy duty for $400us with the hand held/controller bundled in? Steamlink/crossplay style support between the two devices. Classic controller NX still available.

Auxillary apps for the console titles are free on the hand held and on mobile. Stuff like SuperMario Maker website and Miitomo apps.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 08, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »
Take a crippling loss on the handheld? You must be confusing Nintendo with some other company.

More rumors. Monolith Productions(Shadow of Mordor) wants a new QA manager with experience with Nintendo Lot Check certification. Probably nothing, but it's better than arguing about buttons.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline supermario2k

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 08, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »
They have released sub-100 handhelds in the past. With the way tech has been adapting lately there is a real belief they could manage that especially if the two are interconnected someway. Here is an idea, what if NX is just Wii U hardware with PS4-esque chipset but all the extra horespower comes from cloud computing? That might even be what Sony is planning with PS4K.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 08, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »
Apparently new Zelda coming to both Wii U and NX, according to Emily Rogers.
Oui, Mon Gars!