Author Topic: Rumor: Wii launch price $249, VC details  (Read 9154 times)

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Rumor: Wii launch price $249, VC details
« on: May 10, 2006, 06:37:31 PM »
4 Color Rebellion has an article about someone who claims to have the next issue of EGM, and that issue reveals some stuff that we didn't hear at the press conference. Sounds a little fishy to me, or at least dubious, but here it is:

$249 launch price
VC games will be "A few dollars for NES, $5 for SNES, $10 for N64"
VC games will support progressive scan, but won't have graphical upgrades.
TG16 VC games will be first party only, at least at launch.

Again, I have to doubt the validity of this source, but the info is perfectly plausible. I suppose we'll know for sure when the next EGM hits. Seems a bit pricey for those VC games... though it's still cheap when compared to Sony's download fees for added content. There are some games I probably would eschew at these prices though.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
RE: Rumor: Wii launch price $249, VC details
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 06:47:42 PM »
http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/440
This source mentioned a lot of the same things earlier, although some different details (like the mention of the Godzilla game).
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 06:51:58 PM »
Pricey for the VC games?  That's pretty much where it needs to be.  People won't buy VC games like Music.  They have a much longer life span so you don't need as many.  I feel that a game should be at least 2 dollars, even though it pains me to say it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 06:58:03 PM »
price them right and I'd definitely be buying them like Music.

$10 for an N64 title is just too much, IMO. I can buy nearly all of those games in physical cartridges on the secondary market for less than that.  

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 07:00:51 PM »
Yeah, that's a bit too much. Especially with the availability of ROMS and like was said, you can buy the actual cartridges for little to nothing.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 07:15:43 PM »
And Indy games will be. . .
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Rumor: Wii launch price $249, VC details
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 07:54:35 PM »

$10 for an N64 title is just too much, IMO. I can buy nearly all of those games in physical cartridges on the secondary market for less than that.

I think it boils down to convenience, and Nintendo knows this.  If I'm home, it's 3am, and my friend tells me he's never played Hybrid Heaven for the N64, then I will by all means pay $10.  It's not that outlandish a price considering I still see some N64 games go for upwards of $20.  Also, as far as the business angle of things, it's the perfect price point for Nintendo-just enough to make great money, and low enough to encourage impulse 'buys'.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget convenience...CONVENIENCE!  You say you can buy the physical cartridges for less, but guess what?  You'll pay a measly $3 more to stay in your home and download it without having to break out your car keys, and then your N64.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 08:11:22 PM »

Originally posted by: Arbok
http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/440
This source mentioned a lot of the same things earlier, although some different details (like the mention of the Godzilla game).
the fact that MP3 is a officialy confirmed launch game and that SSBB was pushed to 2007 makes me doubt.... although it could've been a mistake by EGM?
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 08:46:19 PM »
I can't picture a single N64 game I'm going to pay $10 for. The only thing they might've got me on was if they had Perfect Dark with some of the slowdown issues removed (a trivial matter for an emulator, it would seem). Doesn't sound like that's happening though.

If they were $0.99 for NES and SNES games I'd be downloading hundreds of games. At $5 for the SNES my list probably goes down to 6 or 7 games. And $2-3 for NES titles? I can think offhand of exactly 4 games I'd buy (Dragon Warrior 3 and 4, Genghis Khan, and Shingen the Ruler)

From a profit standpoint, and considering how little it costs Nintendo to send a sub 1 MB compressed ROM file, the per-unit cost is essentially zero, they're going to make a lot less money on me this way.  

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 08:55:59 PM »
Somehow I doubt there will be set prices.
I mean should Mario 64 cost as much to download as Superman 64?
I think it will be more based on the demand for the title.
Like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games will be fairly pricey while lesser known titles especially from third-parties will be MUCH cheaper.
I think the minimum price will be $1 while the absolute maximum will be $10 however.
I suspect Nintendo will also impliment some kind of rental option and subscription fee for FULL access.

Offline MANTI5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 09:05:09 PM »
Anyone who downloads and plays Superman 64 should have their Wii taken away.

It's been tossed around that new games will come with a few free downloads, hopefully that's true.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 09:09:13 PM »
Superman 64 is bad enough it warrants at least a rental. I bought a copy from Target for like $5 when they were clearing out their N64 games.

Offline BiLdItUp1

• Brain Parasite
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »
Hmff...I fully expect Nintendo to drop that price to $199, N64-style. I mean, have they ever NOT launched @199 before? Nope.
All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia. (George Orwell, more relevant than ever, in "Politics and the English Language")
Wii Number: 7947 2653 6155 9540

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:47:23 PM »
I just don't care anymore. The price is irrelevant, it's under $300 and thats good enough for me. Though I will agree $200 is far more likely and it would mean essentially another launch title for me instead (I'm sure I'm not the only one who would take that $50 and just blow it on another game).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:03 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
I can't picture a single N64 game I'm going to pay $10 for.

I can: Ogre Battle 64, as I could never find the game and always wanted to play it.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 10:19:54 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz
   I can't picture a single N64 game I'm going to pay $10 for.

I can: Ogre Battle 64, as I could never find the game and always wanted to play it.

I owned it.  Great game.  And was a $69.99 cartridge if memory serves.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »
I don't recall if Ogre Battle 64 was $70, but I do know it cost more then I had ever (or have ever again) paid for a video game.

That said, it is a fantastic (and LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG) game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 11:29:17 PM »
Hey.  Wanted to update you guys on some rumblings from the show floor.  We were tempted to jump on this rumor too, but we have heard several different prices, all with seemingly reliable back stories, here at E3.  I'm starting to wonder if Nintendo has even decided yet.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 11:36:04 PM »
Someone at Sega said that you can bet on a $200 pricepoint..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 12:39:55 AM »
And EGM was just guessing. The exact quote escapes me, but it was something like "$250 would be a fair price" or something.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 04:20:35 AM »
AMN has a "hands on" preview of the virtual console (HERE).

According to the article, prices are to be determined later and the interface is not yet final. The good news is that it looks like the VC handles emulation better than the original consoles that the games were released on. Frame rate drops seem to be nil and the upconvert to 480P make these games look better than ever.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 08:34:34 AM »
I'm guessing Nintendo hasn't decided yet.  Hardly anybody NEEDS to know the price right now, and the marketing guys are probably arguing over what to bundle with the system and what price will sell the most units.

I've argued the Virtual Console game prices thing sooo many times it hurts.  I think the prices suggested here are fine.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 02:59:47 PM »
Forbes analysts predict a $200 dollar price point.  

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/05/11/nintendo-microsoft-sony_cx_kt_0511wii.html

There is also some "Nintendo will totally pwn Sony at this pricepoint" commentary too.  
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline Frozen Atlantic

• Spiritually Direct
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 04:42:41 PM »
The Wii plugs into a hard drive. Thus, Emulators > Virtual Console.

I'm more interested in new SNES games from indie guys than playing Super Metroid again.
smash brothers : 5069-3792-8710

wii: 2034-1057-8595-3928

if you send me a PM, I'll add you more quickly

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 10:05:21 PM »
I doubt we will have any new games for an specific older platform. We may get games that look like SNES games, though.  But I still don't see Nintendo allowing any real indie games.  I'd love to see Cave Story as a download-able game,  but I don't see it happening.  

If you haven't played Cave Story, you need to download it immediately.  It is an excellent side-scrolling action/adventure game...Metroid and Castlevania are the closest comparisons.