Author Topic: DS needs more "mature" titles  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
DS needs more "mature" titles
« on: January 12, 2005, 02:58:38 AM »
Nintendo is trying marketing DS to an older audience than the GBA, but I have yet to see some "mature" titles on it.

PSP is really tempting people with games like GTA, Metal Gear, and 2 Devil May Cry games. If DS can get some big mature titles like that, it would without a doubt sell through the roof.

But my question is, if Nintendo is marketing DS to an older audience, how come developers aren't giving it the full amount of griddy love that the PSP is getting? Why can't we have DMC DS? Are they just really ignorant?

I have yet to see 1 M rated title on the DS. If it can get a GTA, MGS, and DMC, then it would without a doubt attract older gamers.
This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:DS needs more "mature" titles
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 03:48:20 AM »
Ah, so by "Mature", you actually mean, "Games full of blood and swearing and flying body parts"...

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 03:55:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Noble~Feather
Nintendo is trying marketing DS to an older audience than the GBA, but I have yet to see some "mature" titles on it.

PSP is really tempting people with games like GTA, Metal Gear, and 2 Devil May Cry games. If DS can get some big mature titles like that, it would without a doubt sell through the roof.

But my question is, if Nintendo is marketing DS to an older audience, how come developers aren't giving it the full amount of griddy love that the PSP is getting? Why can't we have DMC DS? Are they just really ignorant?

I have yet to see 1 M rated title on the DS. If it can get a GTA, MGS, and DMC, then it would without a doubt attract older gamers.

riiiiiiiiiiight
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: DS needs more "mature" titles
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 03:58:34 AM »
Nintendo DS is gaming, matured.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:06:06 AM »
It's selling through higher ceilings than the PSP is struggling to reach. Kids are the only people who play portables, the older people drive. Mature gaming and be put in gaol.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 04:39:51 AM »
I'd like some actual replies...

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 04:53:18 AM »
RABicle said it best.  Portables don't lean towards the audience that home consoles do (now at least).  Kids get portables so that way they don't get bored when their parents take them on trips.  Parents don't buy them because they are the one's taking their kids ON the trips.  Marketing a "mature" title is no big whoop for a portable.  "Horray I can go about killing people while I'm sitting on the subway!"  That's not the way gaming is supposed to be.  If you want to kill people, you do it in your home when you can be immersed in the "ATMOSFEAR!!" of the game, instead of starting the game and having to stop it some five or so minutes later because you're done taking a crap.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 05:09:35 AM »
I'm really not a huge fan of mature titles, as I'll take cute and fluffy storylines anyday...However, games like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem are hardly TIKU TIKU (^_^) and that adventure title Another looks to have a fairly mature background story as well...Just be patient until these "mature" titles take shape and reveal themselves...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 05:24:12 AM »
I can almost assure you, adults WILL be buying a PSP.

The handheld market is expanding, and so I would like to see some of the games on the DS that the PSP is getting. I just don't think developers are being fair, giving PSP alot more adult oriented titles than the DS, when both handhelds are scewed towards the same audience.

I'd much rather be playing Devil May Cry than "Sponge Bob Square Pants".

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 05:29:53 AM »
With the way the DMC series is going, it'd actually be a tough decision...

But seriously, comparing those two is hilarious...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 05:30:04 AM »
Nintendo DS appeals to the very casual gamer.  My mother, who next to never plays video games, loves the DS and is considering getting one (and even started playing my Gamecube some, Paper Mario 2, after she played it; she's spent maybe 27 hours on the DS), as does my sister.  I think if Nintendo has plenty of simple, fun games they'd do better than if they'd released GTA, because they're appealing to an entirely different, yet quite large, audience.  They should have some mature games, certainly, for the sake of variety, but it shouldn't be anything vaguely resembling a strong part of the DS.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 05:40:30 AM »
The problem is we ARE going to be seeing the Spongebob games or That's So Raven on the DS because it's so easy to make games for.  Being underpowered, it's going to be like how the PS2 is.  Make sh*tty games for it, then port it and reap the benefits.  Also the people can't press their own UMDs so that kinda puts a dampen on their game market.  The handheld market won't expand anymore than it did when the Pokemon duo came out and that was only with 1 system dominating.  The PSP may be making some waves, but so is the DS and still the GBA.  Instead of Sony taking more of their market, Nintendo is increasing theirs by releasing in the same genre.  It goes the same way for consoles with the PSX, the PStwo and the original PS2.  
I agree adults will be buying the PSP, but those adults will more than likely be buying the DS for their girlfriends.  God knows my girlfriend loves hers.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 06:14:10 AM »

Originally posted by: joshnickerson
Ah, so by "Mature", you actually mean, "Games full of blood and swearing and flying body parts"...

MGS has substance though, so its okay.
Well I've kind of noticed what Feather has as well.  And this is likely because the DS hardware and theme is best suited for E games with an emphasis on touch OR AO games with an emphasis on touch.  Since nobody makes the latter... bam you get the majority of the DS's line up.

"I can almost assure you, adults WILL be buying a PSP."
I really don't know about that.  The PSP really only caters to that spoiled child demographic and the teenager with a job IMO.  It isn't a demographic to scoff at, but still at around 200 USD (did we get an official price yet?) and 50 USD a game - it isn't really that affordable, especially compared to the PS2 which almost everybody has and most would prefer to the portable.  I know Sony fanboys and they are quick to praise and push the PSP, but when I ask them and many others about it- they say it (and the DS) are way too expensive for a portable.  Time will ultimately tell, but I'm hoping to get all those games you desire on the DS, Feather, once the PSP fails .
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 06:32:33 AM »
As mentioned above, the one thing the DS is uniquely grabbing is people that really haven't been playing games and don't know what to do with a controller with a dozen buttons and multiple analog sticks.  Games like Feel the Magic are easy for them to pick up and play and get addicted to because they don't have to worry about buttons, and I even got one comment that it was easier for her to control Metroid with the touch screen than using a console controller.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 06:39:15 AM »
The DS doesn't need more mature titles it needs more titles PERIOD.  The lineup is pretty slim and there's no real killer app in the pipeline.  If the DS loses out to the PSP it will be because the PSP gets a must own game before the DS does regardless of demographic.  Nintendo's just offering gimmick games right now.  It would make no difference if those games were rated 'M'.  The DS needs more "deep" titles.  It needs some games that appeal primarily to gamers instead of non-gamers who just like the novelty of using the touchscreen for a few minutes.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 07:10:23 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The DS doesn't need more mature titles it needs more titles PERIOD.

My thoughts exactly.  My DS has been sitting on my bookshelf since I beat SM64 about a month ago.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 07:47:19 AM »
If you want to make games that appeal to adults (and not the "OMG Blood!" kiddies (had to disable emoticons for that, why aren't we allowed to use derogatory terms for ignorant morons anymore?)) you don't need (and quite frankly should avoid) an M rating. Accessibility is the key. Tetris. Bejeweled. Moorhuhn. What do these games have in common? They're all played with very simple controls, they don't depict any graphical violence, they can be played in short bursts. GTA, MGS, DMC and the like might be more in the style of adult movies but they aren't really good for adults. If I put my dad in front of, say, GTA he'd get confused by all the buttons. Burnout 2 was already too much for him. The only game on the GC I could make him play was Puyo Puyo. His favourite game is a Bejeweled clone, before that he went though SameGame, Freecell, Moorhuhn, Tetris and Solitaire. My mother wouldn't touch an action game since the Atari 2600. THAT is what you're trying to reach when you're aiming for adults, not some fifteen year old wannabe-gangsta that loves blowing sluts into pieces.  

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 09:52:22 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The DS doesn't need more mature titles it needs more titles PERIOD.

But the same thing could be said of the PSP.  I agree that there is a danger of Sony releasing the first "must have" game but I don't see either system taking a sure lead unti at leastl Christmas.

I think there's a good point here.  I'm not all over the M rated games myself, but clearly they are popular in North America, and I think it's coming to the point where it doesn't matter if you're talking about kids or not, because the system with the most and best "mature" games on it is the coolest.  Even if you're seven years old and your parents wouldn't let you play Halo if you were 35, you still don't want to own a nerdy old GameCube.  DS is in danger of winding up with that same image.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline questionableone

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 12:02:25 PM »
i agree that hte ds needs more titles. (period) Nintendo never really targeted the older age group, i owned a SNES, an N64, then a PS2. The DS i think is following suit.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 09:16:43 PM »
You know, there is that Team Ninja title.

All of their games are rated M.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 01:11:11 AM »
Two of the three DS games I have are pretty much about breasts anyway, and I only hope Team Ninja can top them.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 04:08:02 AM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
Two of the three DS games I have are pretty much about breasts anyway, and I only hope Team Ninja can top them.

You have me curious.  What two games?  I'm guessing feel the magic, but what else?
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 04:28:56 AM »
I'd like to comment on a couple people's posts:

First of all, KDR explained my thoughts on "mature" games better than I could myself.

Couchmonkey:

But the same thing could be said of the PSP.
 I don't really care what the PSP has (or lacks for that matter).  I bought my DS so that I could play games, and as of right now, I only have and am only interested in one game (fyi, that's SM64 and it's beat already).  I mean there is only like 10 games out, or something like that, right now.

And, odifiend, I believe Ty is referring to Feel the Magic and Sprung.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 06:59:20 AM »
Yeah, Sprung: http://www.planetgamecube.com/reviews.cfm?action=profile&id=569

A lot of other sites panned it, but they're liars and we're the only site that cares about you. Hehehehehehe  If you got in on True Love and enjoyed the hell out of it like a lot of the internet crew around here has, you'll dig it.

Lately, though, on my DS, I've been catching up on some cool GBA games I never really got around to, like the Castlevanias.

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 07:59:05 PM »
I'd like to point out that the last Spongebob game was better than the last Devil May Cry game.