Author Topic: Soul Calibur DS CONFIRMED!  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Gamefreak

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Soul Calibur DS CONFIRMED!
« on: January 08, 2005, 06:29:56 PM »
Spanish magazine Club Nintendo has confirmed that Namco is in development with a remake (not direct port apparently) of Soul Calibur 1. So far Link does not appear to be in the game although Namco hasn't really confirmed anything about that. Namco is also including an option to perform special moves with one command (like the C-stick...), possibly using buttons on the touch screen or something, although I'm just guessing about the touchscreen part... Finally, the kicker, Namco has stated that the graphics and audio at this point in development have surpassed the original version (apparently referring to the arcade, not dreamcast version). Still, quite a feat.... If you would like to view a scan of the page and the cover, click here to go the the Gamespot forums. Note that in the magazine there is a list of games including splinter cell next to the article, that is not a list of DS games, but a list of GCN player's choice games.

Anyway, all I ask Namco is to include characters and moves from SCII, inlude both LAN and Wifi multiplayer, and include voice communication via the microphone for online play a la Xbox Live. With SC2 characters and online play this could easily be the best and most complete 3D fighter ever, especially since the lack of an analog stick makes no difference...all you need is a dpad and four buttons.
I also hope they don't screw up the game by injecting half-backed touch screen and dual screen ideas...or at least keep it optional.

Finally, this is just speculation on my part, but a PSP version is also likely to be in development, as the PSP has everything required for a great fighting game, and namco has already shown support via Ridge Racers.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
RE: Soul Calibur DS CONFIRMED!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 06:41:31 PM »
Im anxious to see this....  
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 06:54:30 PM »
It needs Link and Talim!  Please, Namco!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 07:05:43 PM »
And hopefully the SC2 movesets, not SC1. Ivy is way more fleshed out (lol) in SC2...Cervantes is more balanced...and so on.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 08:29:52 PM »
"one button special moves"... Wait, I wasn't aware of any "special moves". Most are just direction+button, very few have a quartercircle and I don't think there are any more complicated combinations (and definitely none approaching Dizzy's supers in GGXX), though I haven't gone through the movesets of all characters yet.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 08:32:26 PM »
This is pretty cool.  I probably wouldn't buy it since one Soul Calibur title is good enough for me and I don't really like playing fighting games on portables due to the requirement of multiple systems for multiplayer.  But I think a lot of other people would enjoy this and unlike some other PSX/N64/Dreamcast games it will work fine with the DS controls without any sort of adaptation.  Soul Calibur fans should be able to work with the controls right away.

As for including Link well that would be nice I guess but in this case it's not essential.  Link in SCII was important in providing the Cube with an edge for a multiplatform release.  That same level of competition isn't present here.  If there was a PSP version planned (and maybe there is for all we know) then I would say that Link would be a requirement.  But if there's not it would nice but it's not nearly as important.

I hope there is no PSP version planned because the hardware is clearly superior and in any multiplatform release the PSP is going to have an edge.  Ridge Racer for the PSP supposedly just completely kills the DS version.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 09:01:47 PM »
Ridge Racers for PSP is also a different game than Ridge Racer DS, by a different developer.

Oh, and another thing I totally forgot. SC would be perfect for game-sharing multiplayer. I mean, all you need to send from one system to another for a match is a stage, that stage's music, two characters, and those character's sound effects.

And I wouldn't worry about each person needing his own DS. DS's are everywhere by the looks it...I seem to be the only person waiting to buy one. My cousins nearby who aren't really that serious about games (they have a PS2 and a couple of PC games) got one which surprised me, and tons of people at school seem to have gotten one, which also surprised me. I'm a senior this year and sit with all the seniors at lunch and just the other day a bunch of kids (not dorks either, these were the last kids I'd have expected to have DS's) pulled out some DS's during lunch and started playing Metroid. Then they said I wasn't cool cause I'm waiting till next year to buy one. And this is in high school, at lunch, at the "cool" people table. And just a note, I've never seen a Gameboy pulled out during school other than by one or two dorky looking people, usually fresman, sitting at some table with a bunch of Yu-Gi-Oh cards or Magic cards on it. So, I was pretty surprised....

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 11:21:33 PM »
Oh, oh yes. I always wanted a 3D fighter on the DS... and this just takes the cake.

Thank you Namco.

This message has been approved by Noble Feather.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Soul Calibur DS CONFIRMED!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 11:32:09 PM »

I don't think there are any more complicated combinations

summon suffering & criminal symphony, lol

So is this "Spanish magazine" "Club Nintendo" a good source?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 11:43:24 PM »
Well, it's supposedly an official Nintendo magazine, so yeah it should be some good sauce

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 12:30:56 AM »
SUPER: Still nothing to warrant an additional input system for that.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Soul Calibur DS CONFIRMED!
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 06:31:54 AM »
Ugh, I'm waiting for someone to try something new on the DS for a change.  Like Feel the Magic, except something I'm genuinely interested in.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 06:56:33 AM »
Dude the thing about special moves on one button isn't new. It's in soul calibur 2. The second analog stick. You just press it in a direction to do the "special moves" aka the moves that require that multiple buttons be pressed at once, like soul charge, and the various button pair moves like Y+A, X+Y, and A+X...

And S-U-P-E-R, Club Nintendo is Nintendo's official magazine in Latin American countries, it's simply the Spanish equivalent of Nintendo Power, so yeah "good source" is an understatement. The only thing more official than this would be if Namco themselves announced it, which can't be far away now. Typically magazines always get things first so that when those magazines go in to print the websites will just be recieving the same news... so an official announcement can't be too far.. They are probably waiting because most sites are still on vacation...

The other thing might be that Namco is actually waiting for E3 and Club Nintendo accidentally spilled the beans. This definately wouldn't be the first time Nintendo of Europe accidentally announced a game before it was supposed to be... apparently they aren't seen as worthy of much notice and attention by Nintendo of America and NCL in Japan and just like with games they seem to get the memos about not announcing news about a half year later than everyone else.
lol it must suck to live in Europe... your department always tells the world about games that you are going to get last.... It's like the loser of a contest detailing all the prizes he didn't win... teehee

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 05:30:03 PM »
I remember hearing on Nintendo-Evolved also that Soul Calibur would be coming to DS. They said it was a remake of the Dreamcast version too. It was in September/October-ish.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 07:36:06 PM »
Well back then it was just speculation...

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2005, 11:49:49 PM »
The arcade version looked like garbage, so it's no surprise the graphics will be better. But better music? That's pretty cool. Still, I hardly play SC (or even SCII) anymore, I don't think I'll wanna spend a bajillion dollars buying one I can play on the train.

Offline Noble~Feather

• DS Sp@Mm3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2005, 02:11:47 AM »
 Sorry, I made a mistake making this post.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2005, 06:45:50 AM »
Better music is definitely welcome, all of the pieces in SC 2 are either uninteresting or annoying.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 07:15:48 AM »
LIES!  SCII has some absolutely fantastic music! >=O

(Particularly Hubris and Braver Soul, Braver Sword)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »
I dunno, personally I thought Soul Calibur 1 had the better music.  Had more of an epic feeling to me, more emotion.  Same with the voice acting.  Then again, despite certain character changes, I thought the first one had a better engine as well.  

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2005, 03:32:40 PM »
The stylus could be feasibly used instead of the combat buttons. Imagine drawing a loop to throw a combo instead of hitting a button sequence, it could be pretty neat and novel.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 09:36:33 PM »
NO!

Anyway, Hubris in SC2 was definately amazing.. And the Zelda Overworld lol.. But yeah overall SC1 was better... Soul Edge had some good stuff too.