Author Topic: Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario  (Read 22687 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 07:53:04 AM »
couch, your melodrama is hillarious...  get a clue.

'My name is _____ and i'm an elitist as$hole'
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline VideoGamerJ

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo and Konami Announce DDR with Mario
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 07:59:15 AM »
This is so damned awesome!

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2005, 08:51:19 AM »
LAME.
Nintendo really needs to stop renting Mario out and throwing him in any game they can't come up with an original identity for.

What's worse is seeing most of the posters here go nuts over it. Who cares if it has a fat plumber in it? It's still the same freakin' game you played at the arcade in 1999!!!

Please people, do the world a favour and skip this sort of rubbish and instead go out and purchase a good, original, interesting game like Ikaruga, Beyond Good and Evil, Alien Hominid or DK: Jungle Beat. Just anything that isn't a sequel or rehash starring Mario will do, come to think of it.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2005, 09:03:24 AM »
I just realized.  

My idea for inputting the dance with the Bongos, could easily be done with a Gamecube Controller or even the Gameboy advance.  

They could even have a create a dance mode where you create the dance for a song.

I think the impromptu verse create-a-dance mode is definately the coolest idea, but so is creating your own dances, being able to speed up and slow down the tempo of the music.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2005, 09:30:24 AM »
There's way too much "Wahhhh Mario is in another game let me sit here and whine boo hoo"

You eggheads need to get it through your thick skulls that most of us here are excited about getting a unique twist on a game we've wanted for the Gamecube for years...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2005, 10:28:09 AM »
0_0 You sure are cranky lately. Not the cheery fellow I once knew.

They're entitled to their opinions even though we may not like it. Even if they're uninformed or stupid or whatnot.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2005, 10:42:19 AM »
Am I?  Sorry! ^_^

But there really is a difference between having a educated opinion and just outright complaining, at least, in my opinion that is...

And if you want to complain, don't be so baby-ish about it...

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2005, 10:44:23 AM »
1)You could have the Konga player hit the Konga to the beat of the music recording steps that the dancer would have to do. (Might be hard to do since there is more variety in DDR than is available to program within the Kongas)

2)An easier means to create verse. The Konga player actually manipulates the beat to the music. The song is choosen and the Konga player can use the Kongas to change the beats speed. Hit his roll faster and he can make the song speed up, or slow it down.

3)Last is have a more regular competition. Have the screen show DDR moves and Konga lines and whomever can get a higher score wins.

My idea is so lame in comparison; I was just thinking, have it like Jungle Beat, left and right move Mario left and right, up is jump, down is punch or something. Or if you got two dance pads you could have some kind of SSBM fight. (but it'll probably just be a dance game - not that there's anything wrong with that)

I'm still waiting for a Mario and Sonic RPG
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2005, 11:42:06 AM »
I agree Bill, just that most of the whiners are probably immature and would be better off ignored. You can't please everyone. Internet + anonymity = well, you know.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2005, 12:53:29 PM »
Just when I was about to buy Mad Catz MC Grooves Bundle.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2005, 03:33:33 PM »

whiners are probably immature and would be better off ignored.

Now this is funny. anyone who doesnt agree with you or Bill is Immature and thus should be ingored?

Complaining about random things fine. But Nintendo renting Mario Off is a legitimate complaint.  Does it mean that if Konami released DDR without Mario, would it sell as well  as it will now? Thats a legitimate point. Whats next, Mario Karts in NFSU3...  Link in the next Prince of Persia?
The Savior Returns Late 2005

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2005, 03:52:01 PM »
"Now this is funny. anyone who doesnt agree with you or Bill is Immature and thus should be ingored?"

Good job completely misinterpreting what he meant...

You make me look like some elitist that knacks on every post that I don't agree with, which is hardly the case...My post was mainly pointed at those that see almost everything in a negative tone (you know who you are) and rarely are positive...It's fine to say "Hmmm, this could be good or bad, depending on how well the game fares," but not "OMG THEY ARE USING MARIO ARG FRANCHISE NOT NEW CHARACTERS HATE ANGST" as if it's the end of the world...I like to look at things in a positive light and nothing ruins my day more than those that live in doom-and-gloom land...

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2005, 04:09:22 PM »
Well I was talking about his post not yours.

Mario DDR is fine. Mario in NBA Street is fine. ( I would have gotten it regardless. NBA Street 2 was one of the best sports games ever) and Link in Soul Calibur was fine.

It becomes a problem if it happens too much. If Konami makes other games for the cube, without the crutch of Nintendo characters then Great!. If the only way Konami makes games for Nintendo then youve got a problem.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2005, 04:36:19 PM »
Well, I know for me that the strategy worked, not because I'm a huge Mario fan, but with NBA Street, the comedy of it got my attention, and then I got to thinking that I don't actually own any basketball games and would probably enjoy this one.

With DDR, it's one of these things that a lot of die-hard Nintendo fans have peered over the fence at in envy, and now not only do we finally get the game, but we get this crazy Mario version of it too.  I'm a bit worried about it being watered-down, but I think it will definitely get the attention of Nintendo fans and make them want to at least check it out.  Then the ones that like the idea will end up buying it.

Now, just give me my Mushroom Kingdom Katamari Damacy please...
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2005, 05:03:53 PM »
YESH

I have never played DDR before but I have been ACHING too.  MARIO YES
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Procession

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2005, 05:09:17 PM »
What's amusing about Mr. Aurion's post is that he doesn't argue the point, instead dismisses it as "whining".

Let's look at how many games Mario has appeared in, in this generation...

Mario Power Tennis
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Mario Sunshine
NBA Street Vol. 3
Mario Kart: Double Dash
DDR w/ Mario
Mario Baseball
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6

12 GAMES!!! That doesn't even include indirect spin-offs, like Luigi's Mansion and Wario World, and cameos in games such Animal Crossing. Think how much larger that figure gets when you include DS and GBA titles.

I'm a little Marioed out, and wouldn't be surprised if the public is too. I'd rather see new franchises than more games starring Mario, and the gravy train can't roll on forever.

Bloodworth: As a Nintendo fan, it doesn't hold any extra appeal for me. DDR is DDR, as far as I'm concerned, and the same game I played in the arcades 6 years, with Mario or without him.

By the way, what happened to kicking the much-lamented "younger audience orientated" image?  

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2005, 05:22:48 PM »
>Let's look at how many games Mario has appeared in, in this generation...

Now, let's compare that list to the SNES generation (generally considered Nintendo's prime)...  SMW, SMW2, Yoshi's Sarfari, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Mario Paint, Dr. Mario/Tetris, Super Mario RPG, Mario's Time Machine, Mario is Missing, the three Mario's Early Years' titles.. Anything else I'm missing?

Anywhoo, anyone who is excited about this needs to be thanking Mad Catz...  Perhaps their unexpected move into the game-market gave Konami a bit of a scare....  I wonder if their dance mat will work with this version of DDR...  Might give me an excuse to pick up the Mad Catz game, since I'll need a second mat...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2005, 05:26:23 PM »
Nintendo 64:
Super Mario 64
Mario Party 1
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Paper Mario
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Super Smash Brothers

That's nine, and I'm pretty positive I forgot a few.  Besides, Mario Baseball hasn't even been released yet.  We have about four screenshots of it, so far as I know.
I don't care either way.  Just makin' a point.  This ain't nothin' new.

As for DDR. . . I'm not particularly interested.  Heck, my grandmother plays DDR.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2005, 06:05:13 PM »
What's amusing about Mr. Aurion's post is that he doesn't argue the point, instead dismisses it as "whining".

I've already gone on forever in multiple topics my opinion on Ninty's "overuse of their franchise characters" and I didn't feel like repeating myself...If you want me to argue it again here it is in summary...Making a completely new franchise with new characters is a good way to alienate most gamers from your product...You will catch the eyes of the hardcore fanbase, but not the casual crew...At least with the usual franchise characters the product will be noticed and there will be casual gamers that will purchase the game with a character familiar to them...Keeping the same characters in a fantastic game doesn't deter from the fun of the game, does it?  Or do you really think the same game with different characters would be so much better?  As others have already stated, using Ninty's flagship mascot is the perfect way to get casuals and hardcore gamers alike to look at a particular game, first or third party...END...Happy now?

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2005, 06:12:04 PM »
Bill this isn't a unique twist, it's a shameless cross marketing stunt that has sucked us in. I mean come on, it's still DDR, it's still a game that's only cool witha bunch of mates stuffing about at the arcades and someone else is on the Daytona machine. In Japan, no one likes dancing and beat games anymore, the only reason these games are popular here is because we don't know better and our arcades are too poor to replace the machines because ultimately, no one actually takes DDR or any arcade game seriously.

I thought dancing by yourself in your living room couldn't get any worse, but now Konami and Nintendo have shown me that I can do it with Mario... it's shameless, lame and most of all; weak. It's something only fit for a drunken activity with a girl you'ld rather be banging.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »

Originally posted by: Procession

Let's look at how many games Mario has appeared in, in this generation...

Mario Power Tennis
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Mario Sunshine
NBA Street Vol. 3
Mario Kart: Double Dash
DDR w/ Mario
Mario Baseball
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6

12 GAMES!!! That doesn't even include indirect spin-offs, like Luigi's Mansion and Wario World, and cameos in games such Animal Crossing. Think how much larger that figure gets when you include DS and GBA titles.

I'm a little Marioed out, and wouldn't be surprised if the public is too. I'd rather see new franchises than more games starring Mario, and the gravy train can't roll on forever.

Bloodworth: As a Nintendo fan, it doesn't hold any extra appeal for me. DDR is DDR, as far as I'm concerned, and the same game I played in the arcades 6 years, with Mario or without him.

By the way, what happened to kicking the much-lamented "younger audience orientated" image?

Ugh. There is nothing wrong with Nintendo having a "younger audience orientated" image. That's what sold 150 million Gameboys.

How much do you think a game called Lenny Power Tennis or George Party would sell? Not enough for them to be up to George Party 6, that's for sure.

There's nothing wrong with Mario appearing in all those completely different games, Mario is what you get when you buy a Nintendo console, personally, the appearance of Mario in anything brings a smile to my face, which ends up enhancing the experience I would have as opposed to playing a Mario-less game.

As for DDR, I own a DDR game for PS2, and it's lots of fun, but something I thought was lacking was the song selection and... I dunno, a main theme or, something interesting? Mario DDR could fix both of these problems by having awesome Nitnendo music and adding the possibilities and charm of the Mario universe.

Also, if it wasn't for Mario, we wouldn't even have a DDR game on the GC. DDR is coming to GC because Mario will be in it.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2005, 06:20:57 PM »
Making a completely new franchise with new characters is a good way to alienate most gamers from your product...

No its whats helping Sony and Microsoft. It works

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2005, 06:30:46 PM »
The last I saw, MS never had a product before the Xbox, thus nulling itself from my scenario, and also the last I saw every single one of Sony's games the past few years have been sequels...  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2005, 06:32:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Savior
Making a completely new franchise with new characters is a good way to alienate most gamers from your product...

No its whats helping Sony and Microsoft. It works

Grand Theft Auto, Halo 2 and Madden online are what's helping Sony and Microsoft.

Offline Savior

• I want one too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2005, 06:47:45 PM »

Grand Theft Auto, Halo 2 and Madden online are what's helping Sony and Microsoft.

Its not that easy. If it were. Nintendo could have GTA already (Its on the GBA), They have their own FPS/A in Metroid Prime and EA provides the Servers for Madden Online, why not promote it like they did Phantasy Star Online? Its more than that.

I saw every single one of Sony's games the past few years have been sequels

Yeah, was there a Jak, Ratchet and Clank, Socom, God of War, Dark Cloud, Sly Cooper, ICO, on the PS1?