Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553346 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #5650 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
Finally saw Wonder Woman yesterday. Eh...it was OK, I guess. Like Adrock, the movie's 3rd act is so incredibly weak that it almost ruined the movie for me. And man, is Gal Gadot's acting spotty. Sometimes, she's really convincing. Other times, she's on par with Tommy Wissaeu.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: September 21, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
Kingsman: The Golden Circle. I tried to avoid the trailers (which is hard to do when you go as much as i do), but at 140 minutes again this movie is too long. You can easily cut out ~20 minutes (a minute here, a minute there rather than entire scenes) and the film would be leaner for it. Gravity is 91 minutes, and at the end there probably is not a single scene i'd cut out because it was so aggressively taut (both in pacing and suspense) that when it ends you can almost relax.

The upside is that the director is much better skilled at action shots and resists editing them to death, so you can actually watch rather than waste brain power trying to see everything quickly before it cuts to the next shot.

The weak link in this whole movie though is Julianne Moore's character, she had such little urgency that all of her scenes were from her secret hideaway. Channing Tatum is also wasted too, appearing when Statesman does then literally is sidelined until the tail end of the movie. Samuel L Jackson, this is not.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:27:03 PM by Plugabugz »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: October 09, 2017, 04:50:31 AM »
Blade Runner 2049 - What a visually gorgeous movie. The visuals was truly, truly a sight to see. I haven't seen the first BR, so i went in blind. But i was able to pick it up quite easily, so it isnt impenetrable to those who haven't seen the first. There's a shot almost immediately as the film begins as K lands his ship and steps out into the foggy vista - the camera pulls back and you get this extremely cool shot of him just standing in his long flowing jacket. The only thing that breaks up the fog is the clean lines of his clothing and his ship doors.

The music was great in places (another Hans Zimmer production), some notes that really help to sell the awe of what you're looking at. And then he drowns it in heavy techno bass.

Denis Villneuve is definitely one of my favourite directors of recent times (Arrival is one of my favourite movies of 2016) and he was definitely up to the task of recreating this universe. The design, details, and mood was fantastic and he took his time with all the shots to make sure you appreciated it too.

Which again brought up my chief complaint - at 160 minutes its too long and spent too long being relaxed about it's mood.

But if that's my only complaint then this is still a really good movie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: October 09, 2017, 06:59:52 AM »
Probably one of the most interesting reviews I'll hear before I watch the movie. Not too many people are going to 1) See it blind 2) See it without seeing the original.

Arrival was a nice surprise of a movie. I like Aliens, and I like Constructed languages. so it was intended for my niche.

Also, did not find out it was already out until yesterday. Marketing team failed. Sometimes movies come out and you think they are still coming out, when they're actually leaving theaters. So, if it doesn't do well at the box office, then it was advertisers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:02:35 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: October 09, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »
Kingsmen: The Golden circle

Very enjoyable. The action is a bit over the top and doesn't reach the awesome peak of the first with the church fight and the final with the maid. The gore has been turned up to good effect.

Julianne Moore as always smoking hot and absolutely sold her character. Again an excellent villain that defies expectations. Her motivations are well understood and her actions are consistent with who she is.

The humour has been turned up 300% and I approve. But it is not without that emotional kick in the teeth to balance it off. A real tear jerker and a heart warmer.

It links up with the first movie well and it doesn't require you to see the first but seeing the first definitely helps you get close to the characters and understand their relationships. Almost everything gets a setup so it doesn't come out of nowhere which they use to full effect by pulling the rug from under you at times, constantly playing with your expectations.

It does drag a little but that is more due to impatience for what you know is going to happen to happen. Being a sequel does mean it loses some of that freshness of the first but they change it up enough so it doesn't fall into that "Exactly more of the same" hole that produces inferior movies. With the flavour change it gets to keep some of that freshness.

There is a sequel hook but it isn't presume that it is going to get a sequel leaving you with a non-ending pretending to be a cliffhanger *Cough, SW:TFA*. It is a complete story like the first and if more are made that option is open.

So many movies these days presume that they are going to have a guarantee sequel or from the outset to be some sort of movie universe where they can endlessly derive products from. This results in no thought given to the ending when you could do it "Later".

In a bit of a surprise Channing Tatum managed to do some acting or at least went home playing as someone from his native Alabama. Normally every time I see him I want to throw the proverbial tomato at him for being someone so bad at acting yet still remain employed. I saw him as that character instead of Channing Tatum as Channing Tatum. Good job for once.

If you liked the first you will enjoy this just as much.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5655 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:54 PM »
Thor Ragnarok - 10/10
Just kidding it's not out yet.

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10
So much better than the original. Let's face it, the original (no matter which cut), is not a good movie. People say it is, but it's not. It has good ideas, but it's executed poorly. Anyway...the sequel is amazing. It builds up kind of slowly, like the original, but it actually has some payoff in the end, unlike the original. It's a shame that it's "bombing" at the box office, because it deserves to be seen.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: October 24, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
Thor Ragnarok - 10/10
Just kidding it's not out yet.

It is now, and it's 1 the best Thor movie by miles and 2 probably the best movie in the MCU. I called it "delightfully awkward" when i left, and it definitely is. The chemistry across the entire cast is sparkling, everyone actually looks like they're having fun (which is really REALLY hard to do in a movie), and its the most un-Marvel movie in the MCU by the fact that at the end of the movie they deliberately stop trying to save the world and go and cause the end of the world instead.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: October 24, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
I'm seeing Thor tonight.  Most excited.  And the missus always loves a couple of hour oogling session at Mr Hemsworth.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: October 24, 2017, 06:11:52 PM »
I'm seeing Thor tonight.  Most excited.  And the missus always loves a couple of hour oogling session at Mr Hemsworth.

I hear there are some shirtless scenes, so be ready for some post movie play time.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: October 24, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
I hear there are some shirtless scenes, so be ready for some post movie play time.

Bahahahah.

Um I don't think that will be happening lol.  Let's just say that I am NOT like Mr Hemsworth.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: October 24, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »

Bahahahah.

Um I don't think that will be happening lol.  Let's just say that I am NOT like Mr Hemsworth.

that's why she keeps her eyes closed, or turn the lights out, and play pretend. I'd work on the accent a little if I were you. LOL

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: October 24, 2017, 10:04:32 PM »
that's why she keeps her eyes closed, or turn the lights out, and play pretend. I'd work on the accent a little if I were you. LOL

The accent is the one thing that I have nailed.  Chris Hemsworth is my fellow countryman after all.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: October 25, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »
In Hemsworth's accent... [insert "can handle Thor's hammer" joke here]

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: October 25, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
Well, that was excellent.  Reviews are spot on.  Laughs all the way through.  Must also confess that Ms Blanchet looks HELLA *cough* sexy in that catsuit lol.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5664 on: October 25, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
Good. HYPE is increasing.

1 week to go till IMAX 3D
even paid a little extra for reserved seating so I don't have to wait out in the cold for an hour just to get in line super early to find a decent seat.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: October 25, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
Korg is one of the best characters in the whole show.  You'll know why instantly.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: October 25, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
Korg is one of the best characters in the whole show.  You'll know why instantly.

Because he is Waititi?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: October 25, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »

He was fantastic. Apparently he will appear more in future films, and deservedly so.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: November 02, 2017, 11:32:04 PM »
Thor Ragnarok - 8.5/10
It's really, really good. Doesn't seem to do *too* much for the MCU as a whole until the mid-credits scene, but it's a really fun, and very funny movie. It's really basically a stand-along Thor/Hulk buddy movie. Can't say too much about it, but a lot of scenes from trailers or TV spots are either not in the movie, or very different. It's not the greatest MCU movie, but it should be one of the most re-watchable MCU movies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: November 03, 2017, 01:50:16 AM »
I agree with the above.

The trailers are a little misleading, which is good, because even though I recognize things from the trailers, they weren't in the movie exactly like you saw it in the trailer.
Very funny and enjoyable movie though. Probably will be the easiest to re-watch for those that like to watch over and over again.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5670 on: November 03, 2017, 12:06:14 PM »
Also if Korg and Meik don't get their own movie trilogy, it will be a crime against humanity.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:30:20 PM by BranDonk Kong »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: November 03, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
Also if Korg and Meik don't get their own movie trilogy, it will be a crime against humanity.

...they were talking about bringing back the One Shots

Korg & Miek meet Lady Sif and try to help her find her way back to Asgard

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: November 03, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
Yes.  Bring back Lady Sif!!!!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: November 05, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
Finally got around to seeing Spider-Man Homecoming and...ehh...it was OK, I guess. It's a pretty average film pretty much completely carried by Michael Keaton in the role of the best Marvel villain we've had since...I dunno, the Red Skull? He's not a bad guy. He's just a thief trying to keep his men from losing everything as a result of Tony Stark (because EVERYTHING bad in the MCU eventually comes back to Tony Stark being an asshole. He's like the Guardians of the Green Lantern Corps in that regard).

The new kid's OK, but there's a lot less quipping than I expected.

And what's with Uncle Ben not even being MENTIONED the entire movie?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:40 AM »
The now-legendary Your Name hit BluRay this week, so I finally saw it. Eh...it's good, certainly, but I don't understand how this is one of (if not the) highest grossing anime film ever made. Sure, the animation is outstanding for an anime film, but the entire first half is incredibly dull, formulaic, & confusingly edited. It's not until the film introduces a twist that brings a ticking clock of sorts into play that the movie finally locks into a storyline & succeeds. The second half is just a completely different movie, and to explain why would heavily involve spoilers.

I think the biggest weakness of the film, though, is that I just don't buy the romance. The story is framed around these 2 characters who never meet until very late falling in love, but the movie's in such a hurry to convey the "wackiness" of the body-swapping mechanic that I don't feel like there's ever a scene where they actually bond in their weird, asymmetric way.

Overall, a good film, but I really draw the line at calling it a "great" one. It's just so incredibly sloppy & unfocused.