Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553396 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #4525 on: January 25, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
Walking With Dinosaurs 3D

You'd think I'd have loved this movie, but I...didn't. It was poorly paced, and ended up being more akin to Disney's Dinosaur, Land Before Time, and other "migration" dinosaur stories that are all basically the same thing. The dinosaurs looked okay, but bizarrely rubbery. The sound effects and musical cues were drowned out by the terrible last-second voiceovers of Lohn Leguizamo and Justin Long. And two dinosaurs (Chirostenotes and Hesperonychus) aren't even in Alaska. The most impressive saurians were the edmontosaurs who didn't get enough screen time.

Best part of the movie was the intro framing sequence with Karl Urban, who we later find out is named "Uncle Zach." Pretty exciting stuff. But the movie itself was a huge disappointment.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: January 26, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
Jack Ryan: A competent reboot, but nothing really spectacular that sticks out for me.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Frozen
I thought it was a good movie.  Songs were good enough.  Its no Alladin or Beauty and the Beast but still good.

My biggest issue with it is that the movie tries to be different at different points but then turns around and runs smack dab into a major cliche that with a slight tweak in the story could have easily been left out and make for a more interesting story in the end while still arriving at the same place.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: January 27, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
Frozen was enjoyable but really fell apart at the end and there was literally no decent build up before the swerve.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: January 27, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
BTW, I just re-watched Conan the Barbarian (1982) - it's been a long time since I've watched it from beginning to end. I forgot how awesome and terrible it is at the same time.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: January 27, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
Have you seen the new one? My wife and I are planning to watch one of them and we might watch both to compare. Wondering if it is worth it to watch both like that.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: January 27, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »
The new one is not good. The old one is classic bad in a good way.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: January 27, 2014, 04:05:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure I reviewed that movie here...

Pre-Edit: here it is http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28364.msg704382#msg704382
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: January 27, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
Please don't watch the new Conan. It is time you will never get back. Your wife deserves better.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: January 27, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
The problem is that my wife is in love with Jason Momoa so I may have little choice in whether we can watch it or not.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4535 on: January 28, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »
Nebraska

I've seen 7 of the 9 nominees for Best Picture this year, and I gotta say that this one was my least favorite.  It's just been that good of a year for movies.  Characters are funny, in the way that old people can be funny.  The story ends up being pretty touching.  I really liked the ending.  The black and white gave it a really rural feel, which complement the story and setting even if it's a modern film.

7.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
Hmmm. I'd rank Nebraska as one of my top 5 favorite movies of the year. I really loved it and I've been recommending it to a lot of people. Maybe it is because I can relate growing up in a small rural town and having some relatives very similar to the characters portrayed so it really came across as totally believable and as a perfect snapshot of that life. I laughed a lot and like you, I liked the ending and found it an endearing picture. The black and white cinematography may have been the best way to shoot that movie.

When I saw it at the theatre, it was 1:15 in the afternoon on Christmas Eve. When I entered the auditorium, it was just myself and 3 other people in it. 3 more showed up by the time it began and that was it. 7 of us in this big room. Plenty of space around you. It was interesting because you could gauge the reactions around you. At one point, when the mother, June Squibb's character, lays down the law at the end, one woman sitting a few rows back from me starting applauding. You could tell who was laughing at what and it just gave me a funny sense of speciality. Like the few of us were lucky enough to stumble on this great gem of a film and experience it before many other people found out about it. Like a secret we were privileged to share in.

I definitely think that my feelings about the way I saw it had an impact in me viewing it more favorably but at the same time, I try not to go around recommending a lot of movies to people if I know their taste in films but this was one movie where I was telling everyone to see it regardless of what they may like and am still hounding some people to see it.

Actually, you've inspired me to make another thread. Just what this forum needs from me, am I right?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: January 29, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
Inside Llewyn Davis

Like some of the Coens' other films 'Inside Llewyn Davis' is at once both tantalising and inscrutable. The film, which is set in the Greenwich Village folk scene of the early 60's, is essentially comprised of a collection of scenes in which friends, family and acquaintances of the titular folk musician Llewyn proceed to put him down at every opportunity. All the while Llewyn passively floats between his family, his musician friends, his intelligentsia benefactors, and his aging ineffectual manager.

The themes of the film are very much open to interpretation but the general story revolves around Llewyn's passivity and his fear of change. Being a folk musician seems to be the only decision that Llewyn has ever made, and as a particularly unassertive character he is not inclined to change course. Not only does he fail to acknowledge the other options available to him, he also seems unwilling to take actions in pursuit of his own chosen goal of being a musician. The result? A talented musician who is heading no where.

Which is where the cat comes in.

Early on in the film Llewyn, after having spent the night in his benefactor's uptown new York apartment, unwittingly let's free a domestic house cat. For me this story became the through thread of the film. Ulysses (a male cat with a scrotum) represents several themes throughout the film; in escaping Ulysses abandons the comfort of the apartment for the cold winter of New York, which is nicely contrasted with Llewyn's own fear of change and his hesitance to leave the comfort of the familiar behind. At one point Llewyn asks a fellow musician to leave the window open in case the cat returns, again betraying his own tendencies to return to where he has been rather than move on. Later on in the film it is revealed that Llewyn has in fact being looking after a similar looking but different cat, which culminates with Llewyn locking Ulysses' imposter in a car by the side of the road. Not only does Llewyn seemingly resent this new cat (did I mention Llewyn doesn' like change?) he also no longer wants to bear responsibility for it.

Other examples of Llewyn's fear of change.

• Despite losing his musicial partner Llewyn continues to play their songs minus the harmony.
  • It is revealed that Llewyn over the years has paid for several abortions and is quite comfortable with the process of arranging one. He is devasted when he finds out that one of his sexual partners did not proceed with the appointment and carried the baby to term.
  • Llewyn quite literally comes to a crossroads and has the option to go visit his child, but instead keeps driving on the road he's on.
  • Whilst a certain Bob Dylan is playing a set at a venue that Llewyn has played countless times before, Llewyn is outside in a gutter unaware that the folk scene is about to pass him by.
  • John Goodman plays an obscure Jazz musician with whom Llewyn takes a car journey to Chicago. Goodman's character is nasty and abrasive and seemingly takes a kick out of putting what he considers lesser musicians down. It is gradually revealed that Goodman's character is an ill, lonely, and possibly delusional drug addict. A glimpse perhaps into Llewyn's future? Despite this warning, however, later in the film Llewyn in fact imitates this character when he begins shouting angry insults at another musician whilst she is on stage

As with other Coen brothers films I suspect there's more to this movie than one viewing can reveal, but my first impression is very positive. I will admit that I'm inclined to enjoy this genre of music and the setting definitely interests me, but with a great look, great music and great cast 'Inside Llewyn Davis' is at the very least another quality movie from the Coen's.

Gouge away.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4538 on: January 29, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Hmmm. I'd rank Nebraska as one of my top 5 favorite movies of the year. I really loved it and I've been recommending it to a lot of people. Maybe it is because I can relate growing up in a small rural town and having some relatives very similar to the characters portrayed so it really came across as totally believable and as a perfect snapshot of that life. I laughed a lot and like you, I liked the ending and found it an endearing picture. The black and white cinematography may have been the best way to shoot that movie.

When I saw it at the theatre, it was 1:15 in the afternoon on Christmas Eve. When I entered the auditorium, it was just myself and 3 other people in it. 3 more showed up by the time it began and that was it. 7 of us in this big room. Plenty of space around you. It was interesting because you could gauge the reactions around you. At one point, when the mother, June Squibb's character, lays down the law at the end, one woman sitting a few rows back from me starting applauding. You could tell who was laughing at what and it just gave me a funny sense of speciality. Like the few of us were lucky enough to stumble on this great gem of a film and experience it before many other people found out about it. Like a secret we were privileged to share in.

I definitely think that my feelings about the way I saw it had an impact in me viewing it more favorably but at the same time, I try not to go around recommending a lot of movies to people if I know their taste in films but this was one movie where I was telling everyone to see it regardless of what they may like and am still hounding some people to see it.

Actually, you've inspired me to make another thread. Just what this forum needs from me, am I right?

I'm thinking my score may have been a bit low, but I definitely loved the movie.  I just loved the other ones more.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: February 09, 2014, 03:18:53 AM »
The Lego Movie:

What a surprisingly uplifting and enjoyable movie. This is a must see family movie, one with a message. It's funny, charismatic, entertaining and extremely well animated. The ocean waves looked crazy, you have to see it for yourself, I can't describe it. I don't want to give anything away, but there is more to this movie than what you see in the trailers.

Oh, and I think it's trending at 97% on reviews, if that helps persuade any interested parties to go see it.

Edit: I also stuck around for Vampire Academy since it started right afterwards 2 theaters down. I expected Mean Girls meets Harry Potter only with Vampires instead of bitches and witches.... what I got was more like Mortal instruments, the vampire version. The lead chick really reminded me of Tessa from Surburgatory in the way her character talked and acted. Not worth the watch.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:25:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: February 09, 2014, 06:55:57 AM »
LEGO movie is made by directors of the first With a chance of Meatballs which was also amazing. It really helped me out during one harder times in my life, i can't wait for LEGO to come out here (have to wait till 20th...).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:44 AM »
RoboCop. This was a surprisingly dull film. It removed a lot of the factors from the earlier trilogy - Murphy's emotional distress and difficulties, 80/90s cheese and charm and nearly all of the humour - and resulted in a film that felt very quickly like it didnt need to be remade.

Gary Oldman and Samuel L Jackson, as usual, carry the film.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: February 09, 2014, 01:05:34 PM »
You were... surprised?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #4543 on: February 09, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »
Completed my Oscar sweep.

Wolf of Wall Street: This is a coke-fueled (and other drugs) thrill ride.  Leonardo DiCaprio's charm and energy really shine throughout.  There are a ton of hilarious moments.  Three hours never passed by so quickly.  9.5/10

Philomena: On the opposite end of the emotional scale, this is a very touching, emotional story of an elderly woman searching for her lost son.  The titular Philomena is a very sweet, likeable character often contrasted with the male lead who is helping her on her journey.  Very satisfying ending. 10/10

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:26 PM »
But Robocop has to be good. It has Michael Keaton, SLJ and the greatest actor of all-time Gary Oldman. I'm still gonna watch it even though it has "unnecessary" written all over it.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: February 09, 2014, 10:25:01 PM »
Thor: The Dark World

I think I loved this movie. I am an admitted MCU junkie and have only not liked 1 movie out of the bunch (IM3), so I am only partially objective. I thought this movie had all the things I liked about the first movie and expounded on them. Strangest thing about the this series (including Avengers) is just how "good" Loki is. He owns the screen every time he's on it. It doesn't try to convince you that it's not a comic book movie and it's better for it. Of course the inevitable 3rd movie will suck because, well all 3rd comic/nerd movies suck.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:37 AM »
You didn't like IM3 but liked IM2? ha

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:37 AM »
I agree with him.  Iron Man 3 had the annoying kid that was annoying.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: February 10, 2014, 02:04:36 AM »
But Robocop has to be good. It has Michael Keaton, SLJ and the greatest actor of all-time Gary Oldman. I'm still gonna watch it even though it has "unnecessary" written all over it.
You never saw Robocop 3 did you?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: February 10, 2014, 02:30:24 AM »
So, my girlfriend and I have been watching Studio Ghibli films in release order for the past few months now. I don't know what it is, but their films have this sort of whimsy feeling to them. I get sucked into each and every one, and feel immensely sad when the credits start rolling, but happy at the same time. No matter which film it is (except for a few in the '00s that weren't made by Miyazaki and Takahata) I instantly fell in love with the characters that felt so damn real to me.

What I ended up enjoying even more than the films themselves are the soundtracks. God damn, do these movies have a bitchin' OST. I mean, look at this ****:

*shivers* Anyway, the latest one in our quest was Whisper of the Heart. Definitely low key compared to some of their other films, but in my opinion, just as good. It even, to my surprise, used Olivia Newton John's version of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" as the opening song, which, at first, felt strange, but by the end I decided that it was very fitting with the theme of the film.