Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553289 times)

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3625 on: November 22, 2012, 03:30:49 PM »
Yes, they could still happen. But if JGL's character didn't do what he did, I think they definitely would have happened. His decision at least makes it possible if not likely that they don't happen.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3626 on: November 22, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it, there was another action he could have done to make sure it didn't happen, and I was disappointed he didn't do it. It's not like it would have been a morally bad decision.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
Use spoiler  tags, guys.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3628 on: November 22, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
We haven't posted any spoilers, we have been very vague.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: November 22, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
We haven't posted any spoilers, we have been very vague.
Just the notion of that Young Joe does something drastic in the ending is enough of a spoiler for me. But that's just me.

Also Kid Blue is definitely Abe.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3630 on: November 22, 2012, 11:01:21 PM »
OK, I think what his character SHOULD have done is kill the kid, since the kid already was a killer and could still become that boss in the future if someone besides Joe kills his mom.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 11:06:46 PM by NWR_insanolord »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: November 22, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »
Also, if you're going to use spoiler tags, please be sure to spell "spoiler" correctly.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3632 on: November 22, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
LOL, I usually check my spelling before posting. Must have slipped my mind that time.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: November 23, 2012, 12:44:03 AM »
OK, I think what his character SHOULD have done is kill the kid, since the kid already was a killer and could still become that boss in the future if someone besides Joe kills his mom.

I think a big question is CAN you kill Cid? Old Joe shot the side of his face and then he went all Super Saiyan. You'd have to do it when he was asleep or do it sneakily because he's at his most dangerous and unstable when he's afraid or angry. Also, I do think that decision would be immoral. The movie subscribes to the multiple timeline theory so just because he became Hitler + TK powers in other timelines, that doesn't mean it's happening in this one. Killing a kid who might end up being just an average guy or even a good guy is immoral. I certainly couldn't do it. Plus I just think that's a much less interesting movie.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3634 on: November 23, 2012, 12:50:22 AM »
But the thing is, Cid ALREADY has killed at least 2 people, his aunt and that gang member that cam looking for him. In the future timeline he became that boss when he saw his mother killed. How do we know he wouldn't still become that? Or at least kill more people when he was afraid or angry? I don't think Joe's sacrifice did anything except maybe delay things.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: November 23, 2012, 03:58:43 AM »
That future timeline was the one that Young Joe saw happening when Old Joe was prepared to kill Cid's mom. None of that actually happened in any timeline. The thing is, we don't know any of the variables in those timelines. We don't know if Cid's mom was present in his life and it's also pretty unlikely that he witnessed anyone sacrifice themselves for his sake. And leaving this logic behind, Young Joe killing Cid and probably Old Joe just isn't as good an ending. It's not thematically interesting, it's not really narratively interesting. It also isn't the ending the rest of the movie is setting up for.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: November 23, 2012, 07:56:20 AM »
I don't think that would have worked, mainly because of the film jumps constantly between a "single timeline" and a multiple timelines. By killing Cid, all you'd do is create a new timeline where Cid is dead but the existing one in the future where he is already alive (and hence Old Joe comes back) happens anyway... hence the film.

This makes me wonder how many times the sequence of events about that film ACTUALLY happened.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: November 25, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
watched no country for old men
I was really surprised by this (I basically don't know anything about movies so I usually go into them without knowing a thing about them). I really loved how they conveyed all the story details clearly without even saying much --which is surprising seeing how its based off a book; now that's skills.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:22:37 PM by Lithium »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3638 on: November 25, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »
I thought that movie was really over-rated, I literally fell asleep (in the middle of the day) while watching it. THAT is how bored I was. I just can't think of anything good about it.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: November 25, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
you must not have been paying attention. Theres a guy with an air tank that puts holes in peoples forheads, that should keep you up for days. The beginning of the move the guy accidentally stumbles onto a drug deal massacre...

did you just not interpret what was going on? Did you not employ empathy? If you were in that situation, wouldn't you be shitting your pants?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:28:05 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3640 on: November 25, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »
It was OK, at best. I just did not get drawn into the movie and I am baffled how it won 4 Academy Awards. Not that that Oscars mean anything because they always give awards to Oscar type films, not movies that actually are the best. Maybe I will give it another chance sometime.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: November 25, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »
First time and only time I saw No Country For Old Men, I thought it was the most intense movie ever. I still remember damn near every scene, but two scenes in particular stand out: the motel and the spilt milk. I remember being so anxious watching those two scenes play out. Amazing film but one I will probably not watch again.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: November 25, 2012, 04:27:47 PM »
Double Post.

Skyfall 7/10

I'd love to go in depth, but I feel like I would just be regurgitating what I have already said in discussions with friends and family. But if there's one idea I'd like to get across is that this movie told me a lot of things, but rarely showed me. A good story was there, a great one even, but the emotional intensity was lacking in almost every scene due to a lack of context.

Other than that, the directing was phenomenal. Some parts, including the opening credits, blew my mind.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:33:50 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: November 25, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
TJ, who falls asleep during a damn movie? Even the most boring films in the world don't put me to sleep.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3644 on: November 25, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »
Then you must have not seen some of the bad movies I have. It was just boring, not at all intense. In the past, I have sometimes just stopped the movie (like Wedding Crashers, which was so bad I stopped it after 30 mins and sent it right back to Netflix).

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: November 25, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is one of my all time favorites. It is also not a typical "Oscar-type" movie. And that scene where Chigur is chasing Moss in the hotel and the streets? You have to be insane to call that boring or not intense.

Speaking of Oscar-type movies, I watched THE ARTIST last night. I really did not like it. Copy and paste the exact plot from SINGIN IN THE RAIN except switch out all the lighthearted fun for tons of moping. I think there may be something there about how the artifice of Hollywood affects the actual humans that are part of it, but I found the character of Valentin to not be sympathetic at all which kind of ruins that potential theme. He makes his last ditch silent film and literally mopes from that point on until the last two short scenes. More than half the movie is Valentin moping. Even when other characters for some reason remain completely loyal to him, Valentin continues moping. The actors playing the leads (and the dog) are charming enough, but that wasn't enough for me. In terms of 2011 movies that were nostalgic for the past, both WAR HORSE and HUGO were much better than THE ARTIST. And seriously, just watch SINGIN IN THE RAIN again.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: November 25, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
War Horse was a piece of ****. Hugo did a better job of being "nostalgic" of old movies.

Offline TrueNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: November 25, 2012, 06:33:04 PM »
Yeah, me liking WAR HORSE more than THE ARTIST is more a knock against THE ARTIST than it is praise for WAR HORSE.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
First time and only time I saw No Country For Old Men, I thought it was the most intense movie ever.
It is actually extremely hilarious.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: November 26, 2012, 12:37:13 AM »
Fahrenheit 9/11 - 9.5/10
I can't believe it took me so long to watch this movie. Easily one of the most important films of our time. Not much else I can say without violating most of the forum rules...but you owe it to yourself to watch this if you haven't seen it. You can argue that it's one sided, no doubt - but the media and the government provided the other side.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA