Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553117 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3550 on: October 02, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »
He had big influence as executive producer. Even just as a director, he last summer blockbuster was just 4 years ago (and even his more recent movies were not summer movies but still big hits).

George Lucas has only directed 6 movies in his whole career, 4 of tem Star Wars (the other 2 were THX 1138 and American Graffiti).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3551 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
Puppets always beat CGI. Revenge of the Sith was a good movie. (my opinions)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:02 AM »
LOL at the thought Abrams could even be mentioned in the same breath as Spielberg. Abrams sometimes gets lucky.

This and this. He's a good producer - his studio has a lot of talent within it (look at Fringe!) - But overall he has been very hit and miss.
The only TV shows to be successful from his stable is Lost (massive megahit, wrecked TV in the years that followed), Person of Interest (has higher ratings than Lost by averages, but its "procedural looking" so nobody cares!), and Fringe (the show that just will not die despite being in the friday death slot for 3 years).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #3553 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:24 AM »
I just finished Super 8 for the first time last night. Very enjoyable, and VERY reminiscent of 80s sci-fi/adventure flicks. GREAT JORB.

Also, I think Abrams has a gem on his hands with Revolution. I've been trying for several years now since Lost ended to find a show that's incredibly captivating for my friends and I to watch together (just as we did with Lost), and I think Revolution is finally filling that spot. My brother made the same comment that I made above after finishing the third episode last night. And a friend of mine gasped after she saw those pendant things react that caused the walkman and iPhone to turn on for a few seconds. That kind of thing hasn't happened for us since Lost.

I realise that Revolution isn't a movie (and thusly shouldn't go in this thread), but I just wanted to add my two cents since Abrams was being discussed.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: October 06, 2012, 03:11:46 AM »
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA - Saw this in theaters last night for its 50th anniversary. It's amazing. Despite coming out in the same period as BEN HUR and SPARTACUS, it feels much more modern than those epics. It also has the best character arc of any of the epics. Going further, this is also the best execution of the Hearts of Darkness/Gone Native story that has been done many times in movies like DANCES WITH WOLVES and AVATAR, to name a couple. Those movies stop with their character arcs basically before the halfway point of LAWRENCE. This one goes much further and is just much better. It starts a little slow, yes, but it moves really quick after the intermission. A true classic.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3555 on: October 06, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
Lawrence of Arabia is easily one of my favorite films of all time. Some historical inaccuracies notwithstanding, it's well worth the watch even today.

Iron Sky - Pretty darn entertaining. The pacing was a little odd though, and the quality of the special effects was uneven in places. It wasn't as great as I had hoped, but humorous enough to recommend. Sadly, it was less of a fish-out-of-water story than I had expected. The angle its humor took instead was still appreciated, though will probably turn off a lot of Americans.

Dark Shadows - Terribly mediocre, and probably rage inducing to anyone who grew up watching the show. I'm not even sure how I ended up watching this one. I haven't enjoyed anything either Burton or Depp has done in years. I was never a fan of the television show that it's based off of either. Though I suppose that's a good thing, since the film takes on more of a silly vibe than anything even resembling its brooding soap opera origins.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3556 on: October 06, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
I intend to watch it SPECIFICALLY for Eva Green.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
So I watched 7 films yesterday. A friend of mine stayed over and we had one hell of a hangover from Friday night so her and I decided to as little as we could.

Iron Sky: A friend wanted to really see this so I decided to watch without him out of spite. I don't know what Morari saw in this film that I didn't. It seemed like it was intentionally going for the "so bad, it's good" angle but just completely missed the mark. Not funny and just plain boring.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: I haven't seen this film in about 5 years, but it used to be my favourite film. Luckily it still holds up. Fantasically filmed, edited and choreographed. I couldn't recommend this more highly to anyone who for some reason hasn't seen this.

Tomorrow, When The War Began: Based on an well-loved Australian novel. The film focuses on the efforts of a group of teenagers who wage a guerilla war after the invasion and occupation of Australia. Nowhere near as dark as I remember the book being it suffers from being aimed at a teenage audience. Acting and special effects aren't great and the film is pretty poorly paced. As it's also based on the first book in a series of seven, it's left very open-ended with a lot of loose ends. I really feel this would have worked better as a TV series, so I'd have a little more time to character development and motivation.

The Green Lantern: I'm not a massive fan of The Green Lantern, but I have read enough to know that the film was a huge missed opportunity. The casting was let down by the horribly derivative script.

Kiss Kiss bang Bang: Another great movie that I haven't watched in a while. Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic as always and KKBB is the only film I can remember liking Val Kilmer in. The great dialogue is still as sharp and clever as ever. Highly enjoyable.

Army of Darkness: A classic. Maybe not quite as good as the first two Evil Dead films, but it's till a bunch of fun. No-one does comedy horror quite like Sam Raimi.

The Number 23: I really don't like this film. Too much style over substance. It seems like a movie that thinks it's more clever than it actually is.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: October 07, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
So I watched 7 films yesterday. A friend of mine stayed over and we had one hell of a hangover from Friday night so her and I decided to as little as we could.

Don't tell me you actually watched all 7 movies.

I'm hopin you were casually watching while getting some "tang in your lollies" instead.

and that being said, I've read between the lines and this is what I saw:

You were making her scream to the Iron Sky as you performed your Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. You really didn't want to wait till Tomorrow, When the War Began to try out your colored trojans and show her the power of The Green Lantern while you Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, through her Army of Darkness. And after all was said and done, and you asked her how it was, The Number 23 is what she kept repeating.

p.s. look for meaning in the text, not between the lines, but behind them ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:19:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »
Maybe he's taking it slow? Maybe she's taken? Maybe he's gay? :P

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3560 on: October 07, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
I dunno. Seven movies is a lot to say you're not getting any. Six is the limit.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: October 07, 2012, 04:02:50 PM »

Don't tell me you actually watched all 7 movies.

I'm hopin you were casually watching while getting some "tang in your lollies" instead.

and that being said, I've read between the lines and this is what I saw:

You were making her scream to the Iron Sky as you performed your Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. You really didn't want to wait till Tomorrow, When the War Began to try out your colored trojans and show her the power of The Green Lantern while you Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, through her Army of Darkness. And after all was said and done, and you asked her how it was, The Number 23 is what she kept repeating.

p.s. look for meaning in the text, not between the lines, but behind them ;)

+1
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
Maybe he's taking it slow? Maybe she's taken? Maybe he's gay? :P

Haha I'm not gay, but she is! I showed her BnM's post and she thought it was hilarious. Made me laugh heartily as well.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:14 AM »
Myth: Busted!

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:17 AM »
Looper - A time travelling mess of brilliance. The debate after watching this film is probably worth the film alone.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3565 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:11 PM »
I saw Looper on Saturday with my ex, we both love it. I think Joe made a mistake at the end, and I don't like it because they did not make it clear that the psycho kid will not still become the Rain Maker since he is already a little demon kid Both in our theatre and the theatre that some friends went to, everyone was silent at the end because the movie just suddenly ends with no indication it was over or a resolution to it. Is that the debate you are referring to Plug? And a friend brought up a point, why wouldn't they kill the people in the future, then send them back rather than having the loopers do the killing?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: October 08, 2012, 05:31:30 PM »
Actually, they did resolve it. I'm taking a film class in college, and according (at least to my professor) a fade to white has a much more "good ending" feel to it than a fade to black. Considering that Looper faded to white...you can assume that Cid did not become the Rainmaker.

Also, this image really explains a lot: (SPOILERS) http://i.imgur.com/9qTKe.jpg

And a friend brought up a point, why wouldn't they kill the people in the future, then send them back rather than having the loopers do the killing?

Because it's still messy. Killing would mean evidence. Better to kidnap the person, send them back in time with no evidence whatsoever. Time travel is supposed to be completely secret, right?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: October 08, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
I saw Looper on Saturday with my ex, we both love it. I think Joe made a mistake at the end, and I don't like it because they did not make it clear that the psycho kid will not still become the Rain Maker since he is already a little demon kid Both in our theatre and the theatre that some friends went to, everyone was silent at the end because the movie just suddenly ends with no indication it was over or a resolution to it. Is that the debate you are referring to Plug? And a friend brought up a point, why wouldn't they kill the people in the future, then send them back rather than having the loopers do the killing?

The loopers did the killing as it ultimately circled them out and removes all proof: no body, no murder weapon in the future and no killer (as he ultimately will shoot his future self) therefore nobody can be tied to it.

The most obvious is that both the Rain Maker and Old Joe are predetermined events, so in a possible future the rainmaker exists, but not "our" present in which young joe kills the old one. By old joe going back in time it's all changed. The movie doesnt settle on whether its a single universe or several, and bounces back and forth to make the plot work.

For instance, when old seth appears he should have appeared mutilated already as that had already happened to him in the future (if it was a single timeline), but only does when it happens in the present (suggesting multi) and so on.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3568 on: October 08, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
Oblivion, they did not resolve it at all. Frankly, your professor is a idiot at best and a artsty-full of it at worst. How something fades out is not a way to resolve it. And based on what had already happened in the movie, there is no way to assume Joe's actions would make a difference. With that image, whoever made it even says that that HOPEFULLY Cid doesn't still become the Rain Maker. But the kid already "accidentally" killed his aunt, and that thug, and almost killed his mom when he flipped the truck. Who is to say he wont still become a dangerous criminal just because his mom is alive? Maybe they should have flashed forward to the future to show him becoming a super hero since Joe had that line about everyone expecting super heroes to exist once TK became discovered..

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
I love that for TJ Spyke being an idiot is better than being artsy and full of it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: October 08, 2012, 06:24:49 PM »
Oblivion, they did not resolve it at all. Frankly, your professor is a idiot at best and a artsty-full of it at worst

Jesus man, it's just a movie. There's multiple universes, simple as that. Even Old!Joe said that same thing. This isn't Primer; it isn't hard to grasp. Every time travel movie has a plot hole or two, and it's pointless to debate about it. Sorry man, but my explanation makes perfect sense to me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3571 on: October 08, 2012, 06:28:10 PM »
Maybe I worded that wrong. But being an idiot means someone can get smarter and realize they are wrong, People who are full of it are less likely to change

Oblivion, I meant your professor is full of it thinking that the screen fading to white resolves the movie. It doesn't, and it's a terrible explanation. It's like saying a character moving their left leg first means they were born in the morning, that is just as logical. The movie ended with no resolution.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: October 08, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
I never said that he was talking about Looper. He just said that a filmmaker will use a fade to white in films as a more hopeful ending rather than the (literally and figuratively) fade to black. I'm the one that said that a fade to white in Looper means that (most likely) Cid did not become the Rainmaker, and John finally broke the cycle.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
The ending to LOOPER is not resolved, purposely so. Maybe Cid becomes the Rainmaker even though Young Joe believed he prevented that from happening. It's left for you to decide. But yeah, I too interpreted the fade to white as a sign that things turned out for the better. The movie could have ended a few seconds earlier on the shot where Sara closes Young Joe's watch, mirroring the opening shot of the film. But instead the movie ends on a shot of Cid when you're wondering what lies in store for him and then it fades to white. I don't think it's crazy to take that as a subtle visual clue that things are going to turn out well. Does that mean that's what definitely happens or even that's what Rian Johnson intended? Nope. But I don't think that's an insane interpretation either.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: October 30, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
The Terminal - 7/10? Interesting premise ruined by failed "heartfelt" moments that make no sense. You're supposed to root for Victor getting with Catherine ZJ even though she's already cheating with a married man. Victor helps an airport kitchen worker learn more and more about passport stamp girl, then gives her a ring, then they marry-even though they've never met! There's one point where he becomes a hero with the airport store workers for helping a guy smuggle drugs to his dying father in Canada. they're all yeaah! Victor! And post his photocopied handprints on their walls. Very strange man, this Spielberg.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:31:25 AM by Zap »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.