Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553276 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3400 on: July 04, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Sounds to me like they did a live action version of the Fox Kids Spiderman Origin.

Actually, from what little I've heard of the new movie, there seems to be a fair amount inspired by Ultimate Spider-Man: the backstory of the parents; the way Peter deals with his dual identity issue; etc.  As someone who was never really that into the Raimi Spider-Man movies (2 was decent, but it was really the only one of the 3), I want to see this movie sometime in the next few weeks.  But as I dislike seeing movies in the theaters, I may just wait for the Blu-Ray.  Besides, I'll be lucky to drag my family out to see the Dark Knight Rises in a few weeks.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3401 on: July 04, 2012, 03:35:27 PM »
Prometheus:

Everything Must Go:

This movie was really good. I watched it on Netflix, so check it out if you've got a subscription. The story and the character felt very genuine. Will Ferrell does a very good job here. I highly recommend it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: July 04, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
Going back to an earlier off-topic discussion, I just wanted to say that one of the reasons I always liked Siskel and Ebert & Roeper and at the Movies was because it always kept me up to date with movies that were out and soon to be released. Recently, I subscribed to a newspaper again and every Friday there is a movie reviews section so that has helped me get back in the loop.

I actually try to avoid commercials as much as I can these days so as not to spoil a movie I'm going to see or get tired of seeing the same scenes over and over.

For instance, I've haven't seen any of the trailers for The Dark Knight Rises yet. Nor have I seen any commercials. I either skip through real fast or change the channel. That said, I still know a few details of the film because often tidbits get revealed in headlines of articles or there are images of the film shown. Still aside from a few basic facts, I'm completely in the dark about most of this movie and I hope I can keep it that way a little bit longer although it's getting tougher since the movie is about 2 weeks away and they are really starting to roll out the advertising now.

Anyways, my thinking these days is, if I'm know I'm going to see a movie, I'm not going to obsess over it like I use to and kill myself in anticipation like I use to when I was younger. If I'm unsure about a movie, I may watch a trailer or some clips then to see if that sways my thinking but otherwise, I try to avoid spoiling things. It often seems that movies I've enjoyed the most recently are ones where I go in with no idea what it is about and it's always better to keep your expectations a bit lowered.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: July 06, 2012, 11:34:27 PM »
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
Not sure why I did this to myself. Curiosity maybe? For completion's sake? I watched the 1st 2. The best part about watching this movie was trolling my friend afterwards. I texted him saying that The Avengers copied the city battle from Dark of the Moon.

Most of this was incomprehensible, especially as part 3 of a (so far) trilogy. For example, if the whole plan was to use Earth to rebuild Cybertron, what was the point of Revenge of the Fallen which would have destroyed Earth by harvesting the Sun to create Energon? Was it just a back-up plan to the back-up plan? Like, the Decepticons would resurrect Sentinel Prime if resurrecting The Fallen failed? Also, Megatron doesn't do anything... again. He was just sitting there while the Autobots took down his whole army.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: July 07, 2012, 01:59:35 AM »
Those Transformers sequels, Revenge of the Fallen especially, are the most pain I've ever been in watching a movie. They are extremely self indulgent, plot-less, incomprehensible, and painfully unfunny movies with no characters with arcs or really anything redeeming about them. The fact that they made so much money and have any fans at all is absolutely mind boggling to me. I don't hate Michael Bay by any means, the guy is capable of doing big dumb blockbusters better than anyone else, but those sequels are STUPID and sadly justify a lot of what his detractors say about him.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3405 on: July 07, 2012, 02:59:24 AM »
iv mentioned a few times that I like the first Transformers and hate the second 2 and it seems the culprit is the bad writing of the second 2. The writing teams changed on each movie

part 1   
    John Rogers
    Roberto Orci
    Alex Kurtzman

part 2
    Ehren Kruger
    Roberto Orci
    Alex Kurtzman
part 3
    Ehren Kruger

So if Transofrmers is to recover they just need a good writer.  In fact I thought part 3 was stupid, but I did however notice a visual similarity between The Avengers and Dark of the Moon and it would be very cool if someone were to edit them together. Plot similarity too. 

edit: Or maybe it is Michael Bay...apparently Orci and Kurtzman created Fringe.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:01:58 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3406 on: July 07, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
The 3rd one was pretty good, the best of the three and a good movie on its own.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3407 on: July 07, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »
Disagree. The first one was shockingly good, and holds up very well. The third one disavows the second movie entirely and is filled with its own plot holes and things that make no sense at all. They replaced Megan Fox with somebody who is somehow LESS good looking, too, which is mind-boggling.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3408 on: July 08, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »
Anytime you have Optimus Prime saying 'My bad' is not a sign of a good movie. :|

I would have thought that the Star Wars prequels taught movie-makers that alien racial stereotypes are not good, yet somehow we still have to suffer through Skids and Mudflap.

The third was the best from the perspective of an old school TF fan. The robots were finally the main attraction of the film, even if Shia LaBafoon had too much screen time.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: July 08, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »
Mimic 8/10 --The first time i watched this, when it was new, i watched it in a theater where the projectionist didnt calibrate the film right, and as such the microphone kept dipping down for hilarity and killing all suspension of disbelief, making the movie unwatchable. I finally got around to watching it on netflix. Since years have passed I could look at it more freshly. Some of the locations reminded me of the first Ninja Turtles movie, which was odd because the next day it was on this morning, so i had to watch it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: July 08, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man - 9/10

I highly recommend this movie. Dare I say, it's the best Spider-Man movie ever. It does not follow the original story as much as the 2002 movie, and that's actually a very good thing. Remaking a 10 year old movie would be pointless. This film is more like the Peter Parker Spider-Man or even Ultimate Spider-Man comic book series. One of the best parts of the movie is the fact that Peter doesn't actually shoot webs from his wrists, which was the most ridiculous part of the Raimi trilogy (especially since real spiders basically shoot webs out of their ass). The cast is great, The Lizard actually looks awesome, and while you still need to suspend belief it's not nearly as unbelievable as The Sandman. It is *not* the "Twilight" type story that old reports were saying it would be.

Some shortcomings were that there were obviously some scenes cut from the movie (that can be seen in trailers), and that nothing ever happened with the police officers while they were turned into Lizards, but I imagine the missing scenes will either appear on the Blu Ray (if you still watch DVDs you're dead to me) or in the sequel especially since Curt Connors/The Lizard is still alive and well, though incarcerated.

I'm pretty terrible at these movie reviews, but the movie was great.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 06:22:48 PM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: July 08, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
Is it better than Spiderman 2?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: July 08, 2012, 06:49:50 PM »
It's hard to say that (even though I did), since Spider-Man 2 gets the benefit of not having to tell the origin story...but if you ask me, yes, it is better than Spider-Man 2. There were too many cheesy parts of Spider-Man 2 featuring Aunt May that always make me cringe.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: July 08, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
I doubt Conners will show up for a major role in another movie, considering he plays a major role in the Amazing Spider-Man video game (which takes place after the events of the film).  With all the hoops that Beenox probably had to jump through to get anything into the game, I doubt anything that showed up in the game will appear again in either of the upcoming sequels (so no Rhino, Scorpion, Vermin, Allister Smythe, or more Lizard).  The game hints at Sandman; Vulture; Mr. Negative; Eddie Brock/Venom; and Hydro-Man, so they may not be out of the realm of possibility for film inclusion.  The only villain in the game I can think of who might appear in the films at some point is Black Cat/Felicia Hardy.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:13:00 PM by broodwars »

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: July 08, 2012, 07:37:06 PM »
It's hard to say that (even though I did), since Spider-Man 2 gets the benefit of not having to tell the origin story...but if you ask me, yes, it is better than Spider-Man 2. There were too many cheesy parts of Spider-Man 2 featuring Aunt May that always make me cringe.

But...but, I love those parts!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3415 on: July 08, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »
The video game can hardly be considered canon.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: July 08, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
The video game can hardly be considered canon.

We won't know that until the next film arrives.  In any case, playing the game there were obviously a great number of restrictions on what villains the developers could and could not use.  Otherwise, they would have you fight more interesting villains than those I listed.  But they didn't, which tells me that they were told not to use any villains the filmmakers were considering using in future films.  Even Norman Osborn's "appearance" in the game is only his voice (and none of the characters in the game are voiced by their movie counterparts) with a shadowy outline, as he has not been cast in the films yet.

The game may not be "canon" in terms of story, but I think what characters it does and doesn't use could be an indicator of what ones the future films might have.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:14:04 PM by broodwars »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: July 08, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
Rhino, Shocker, Chameleon, Black Cat are in the Spider-Man 2 video game...don't remember them in Spider-Man 3.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: July 09, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
Rhino, Shocker, Chameleon, Black Cat are in the Spider-Man 2 video game...don't remember them in Spider-Man 3.

Mysterio was also in the Spider-Man 2 game, & The Vulture; Kraven; Shocker; and Scorpion were in the Spider-Man 1 game as well.  None of them made it into a Spider-Man movie, and Doc Ock; Sandman; and Venom all appeared in the Raimi films without being in the previous movie tie-in games.  So yeah, I think we have a pretty good track record for villains not being in the movie tie-in games being more likely to show up in the films and those that were to not be.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:21:41 AM by broodwars »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: July 09, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
I really liked this movie. To me, "canon" is derived from the 1994 cartoon (and not the comics; the cartoon came first!) and this movie more accurately tied to it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3420 on: July 09, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
I enjoyed the new Spiderman movie but I still think that 2 is the better film.

One thing I disliked about the new Spiderman movie is how unrealistic so many things were though. Which I know sounds silly since the premise of Spider powers and a man turning into a lizard is not realistic but it's not the fantasy elements I had a problem with.

Rather, take the scenes where he gets his bitten by the spider. First, he shows up at Oscorp and is just given an intern badge without having to show any identification. Then when the real person shows up, security just throws him out. Uh, nobody would check on his story and make sure the first person they let in is the correct person? Then, Parker leaves the study group and is able to wander the whole building appearantly with nobody questioning what he's doing there. I guess an internship card gives you unlimited access to everything. Then he gets into the spiderlab but I guess there are no security cameras anywhere monitoring the labs since no guards are alerted to this intrusion. He affects the spiders rotation but that doesn't set off any alarm bells that something is off in the spider lab. For such a cutting edge tech research and development building, security seems very, very lax. Later, he can appearantly come and go as he pleases as well since he is now friends of Dr. Connors. No security pass required.

Again, I know it's just a fantasy movie but I just hate the lazy effort shown. Clearly, the writers/director just wanted to get him bit as fast as possible and didn't want anything to impede Parker on his way.

Anyways, that was my big complaint of the film.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:31 PM »
Him getting into/out of Oscorp after the first trip probably has a little bit to do with the fact that he's now Spider-Man.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: July 09, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
Him getting into/out of Oscorp after the first trip probably has a little bit to do with the fact that he's now Spider-Man.

Maybe but then Connors didn't seem shocked or surprised to see him in the lab when it was empty after his first lizard transformation and Connors said he had given everyone the day off. Plus Parker worked with him earlier on the rat/mouse DNA test so he clearly was allowed to come into the building without always having to sneak in.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: July 14, 2012, 02:14:44 AM »
The Simpsons: The Longest Daycare: Worth the price of admission into Ice Age.

Ice Age: Continental Drift - Worth leaving after the Maggie Simpson short.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3424 on: July 14, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »
I might sneak in to see that one.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.