Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553184 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #3000 on: February 15, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
Informal Human Centipede 2 Review: 'Meh.  It delivered on every promise - More blood, more gore, more centipede... 100% medically inaccurate...  A very disturbing piece of work all around - but it's sorely missing something the first moving had... I could barely keep interested in this one.  Dieter Laser gave an amazing performance in the first one that, even if you hated the movie, you had to admit he played his part well.  Well enough that I wouldn't want to ever be left alone in a room with him.  The "doctor" in this movie just doesn't have the same charm.  I still recommend the first one - I'd suggest passing on this one... though those of you who had any interest in watching it will still want to watch it anyway...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: February 15, 2012, 01:58:45 AM »
Netflix skipped over this one for me this week and instead sent my 2nd & 3rd choices from the list.... first time that's happened in atleast a year, and it had to be with a movie I was really anticipating too. Just about any other movie over the past 6 months (other than Paranormal Activity 3) and I might not have really cared.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3002 on: February 15, 2012, 03:27:09 AM »
Moneyball -- great movie, with lots of soul. True story, too. Incredible acting from everyone involved.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: February 15, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
Moneyball -- great movie, with lots of soul. True story, too. Incredible acting from everyone involved.

Well, "true" story. It took some pretty big liberties, and hand-waves over a bunch of stuff. I'm blown away by how they decided to turn Art Howe, of all people, into The Grinch That Stole Baseball... but I guess every movie needs it villain, and that the Yankees aren't enough.

Still, I really enjoyed it, even though the narrative needed more focus, and as more people chime in it looks like I enjoyed it because it's actually good, and not because it focuses on my team.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3004 on: February 15, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »

Well, "true" story. It took some pretty big liberties, and hand-waves over a bunch of stuff. I'm blown away by how they decided to turn Art Howe, of all people, into The Grinch That Stole Baseball... but I guess every movie needs it villain, and that the Yankees aren't enough.

Still, I really enjoyed it, even though the narrative needed more focus, and as more people chime in it looks like I enjoyed it because it's actually good, and not because it focuses on my team.

Apparently Howe was treated the same in the book that the movie was based on. So I wouldn't blame the people who made the movie.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: February 15, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »

Apparently Howe was treated the same in the book that the movie was based on. So I wouldn't blame the people who made the movie.

That's true. Michael Lewis is a great writer and good journalist, but he's apparently not above taking liberties to make his subject more interesting. I guess I can't blame him, especially when he's writing about statistical analysis, but it does mean that his subjects are far more grey than he makes them appear.

For the record though, the movie did add the part about Howe being upset about his contract lasting only a year, which formed the movie's basis for the antagonism between him and Billy. In reality, his contract was for multiple years, and extended past the year shown in the movie.

Bah, I'll shut up now, before I start babbling too much. Fun movie! Not accurate!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: February 15, 2012, 07:57:14 PM »
So I just saw a movie where Paul Walker had a dog named "Dog."

It was terrible.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »
The Woman In Black

Saw the stage play years ago and loved it. Very scary and atmosphereic, good use of stage resources and techniques.

The translation to film is...not good. Oh, it looks OK and Julius Caesar and Harry Potter do serviceable acting. Its just boring. And not scary. They resort to cliched movie "jump scares" as the biggest moments of "fright". But there are long, long sequences of Harry Potter checking out "unusual" noises and glimpses of shadows in the haunted house, over and over again. We get it, there's a ghost. Move on. Just poorly paced and lacks any creepiness or tension at all.

5/10
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: February 18, 2012, 12:28:38 AM »
Cats Don't Dance - An entertaining little animated movie with an amusing and memorable villain (though sadly also a somewhat-bland main character, voiced by the incredibly underrated Scott Bakula), as well as some fairly strong character animation and posing.  Unfortunately, the music was composed by Randy Newman, and as a result is fairly bland; lacking in melody; and forgettable.  The story is simple, and after a slow start it moves along nicely to a fitting conclusion.  It's no Iron Giant or Lion King, but I'll gladly take it over the crap Pixar has produced the last few years (hopefully Brave changes that).

I also recently finally got around to watching both Predator and Predator 2, and neither movie really impressed me.  The first movie has major pacing issues leading to a boring first half, and the second movie often just feels random and pointless.  To their credit, though, both Arnie and Danny Glover turn in surprisingly strong performances in their respective leading roles, though I thought Glover was much better in his movie than Arnie was in his.  I hesitate to call either movie "bad" (both have entertaining action sequences and pretty effective Special Effects), but I just don't see what the big deal of these films is.  I prefer the first two Alien films, despite the glacial pacing of the first half of the original Alien film.

Finally, I also watched the anime film Highlander: The Search for Vengeance, which surprisingly (given the incredibly low standards of the Highlander franchise, with the exception of the excellent first film) does not suck.  It's violent with plenty of blood, some gore, and nudity both tasteful and tasteless, but it's a Manga Entertainment film.  I expected that when I started watching it.  Madhouse's animation isn't fantastic, but it gets the job done.  The character designs seem deliberately 1980s with the poofy hair, odd muscle proportions, and ugly facial designs, but they're serviceable enough.

The story is too reliant on flashbacks (which sometimes seemed to me to contradict each other with continuity errors), but I suppose that comes with the territory of being a Highlander film.  The story is fairly solid as a whole, though, with easily-understood character motivations and a small cast of characters.  Scott McNeil's performance (using a voice I've never heard from him) as a smart-ass ghostly druid was particularly memorable.  It's not a fantastic film, but it's surprisingly watcheable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:40:30 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: February 18, 2012, 01:22:11 AM »
Broodwars, it Cats Don't Dance worth watching? It's my girlfriend's favorite movie and she wants me to watch it, with or without her. It just doesn't seem that interesting. And funny you should mention The Lion King, considering it's MY favorite movie.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: February 18, 2012, 01:38:58 AM »
Broodwars, it Cats Don't Dance worth watching? It's my girlfriend's favorite movie and she wants me to watch it, with or without her. It just doesn't seem that interesting. And funny you should mention The Lion King, considering it's MY favorite movie.

Cats Don't Dance is a pretty average movie (and, surprisingly, Gene Kelly's last, as he helped the animators choreograph the dance numbers), but I think it's worth watching for the main villain alone (who is practically a lost Looney Toons character).  Just be prepared for a slow start, a somewhat bland protagonist, and some very poor Randy Newman songs.  It's decently entertaining, probably one of the more underrated animated films.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: February 18, 2012, 02:02:40 AM »
Alright. I think I'll check it out this weekend on Netflix.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: February 18, 2012, 03:13:12 AM »
I also recently finally got around to watching both Predator and Predator 2, and neither movie really impressed me.  The first movie has major pacing issues leading to a boring first half, and the second movie often just feels random and pointless.  To their credit, though, both Arnie and Danny Glover turn in surprisingly strong performances in their respective leading roles, though I thought Glover was much better in his movie than Arnie was in his.  I hesitate to call either movie "bad" (both have entertaining action sequences and pretty effective Special Effects), but I just don't see what the big deal of these films is.  I prefer the first two Alien films, despite the glacial pacing of the first half of the original Alien film.

I am definitely sure that we didn't see the same movie. I can't believe you said predator has serious pacing issues. Half of the first half has the team kill a couple dozen people with rambo knifes, machineguns, miniguns, explosives, corny Arnie one liners and they kill a decent chunk of forest unloading thousands of rounds of ammo into it all without one post effect until the predator shows up. The first quarter is to set up the team dynamic, the characters so you know them and care a little when they get killed not to mention it's there to setup the whole terror aspect.

Third quarter is the team getting hunted down like Bambi's mother despite their best effort. Final quarter is Arnie's now very personal battle with the titular character.

Films like this is what classic 80's action is about and it contains everything that is lacking in action movies these days that includes modern movies like Rambo and Expendables which were made to follow these movies. Far too many movies these days especially action movies are relient of post-film effects, which is almost never convincing. Then they add shaky-cam to hide the unconvincing effects resulting in an almost unwatchable mess no matter how well paced or edited it maybe.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: February 18, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
Agreed. Predator is a true classic.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: February 18, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »
Here's my problem with the "action" in the first half of Predator 1: I don't throw in a "Predator" movie to watch Arnie and a bunch of red shirts shooting a bunch of generic South American guerrillas in the jungle.  I watch it to see the frickin' Predator, who doesn't do anything for the first half of the film so it felt really dull to me.  It's generic 80s action I just didn't care about, which (coincidentally) is also a problem I have with movies like the Expendables (which I know isn't an 80s movie, but is meant to feel like one).

That's actually what I liked a lot better about Predator 2: the Predator enters the story very early on, but he's worked in in a way where he still doesn't fight Danny Glover for most of the film.  It works.  I just wish the movie was better.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:40:41 PM by broodwars »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: February 18, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
im going to go with oohboy on this, Predator has great pacing. A true classic. There really is no dull points. Its a war movie, a horror movie, and an epic battle movie. Its creative on so many levels.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #3016 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »
In a way, I like predator 2 more than 1. But to call the cast of predator 'red shirts' is really a disservice to what was done in the context of history.  Their chemistry works so well.

I saw This Means War. 6/10 it was irrelevant and brainless yet entertaining. I probably won't want to see it again.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: February 19, 2012, 08:24:12 AM »
The first half of Predator is essential as to why it is a classic, not it's sequel. The title predator has multiple meanings which is the "Name" of the unnamed Alien and it refers to man themselves as predators of each other and other "lower" animals, but it's main concern was hunting of each other. At the start of the movie man is no longer the predator, he is the hunted, he just doesn't know it, just like the animals we hunt. Mid film they gain awareness and by the end, neither are the predator or both are depending on how you see it.

The Predator is active during the first half, stalking the humans running around in the Jungle, you get to see it's aftermath with the skinned corpses, Billy's statement about the first team firing in all directions and hitting nothing with parallels to their own team's actions later, then his growing unease when his teammate flaks him off by saying that Billy is afraid of no man. The Predator is shown to be so good at what it does, it leaves nothing to find except for what it wants us to find.

The first half is to establish that Arnie's team are the top "Predators" and what better way to do it that show them blowing away dozens of guys while remarking "I haven't got time to bleed". Or would you have preferred it if they just talked about how badass they are. Arnie's team are the furtherest thing from red shirts you can get. Each are shown to have a unique personality, histories, relationships with each other, differing motivations. Without this properly done buildup, it's no better than a slasher flick or those terrible AVP films.

You just wanted the Predator to dance around killing people, but you can't have that. The Predator is an alien, not even that in a way, it's more than a concept, there is no way for you to relate to it, what are it's motivations? To hunt and nothing else? It would be no different than having a camera follow Jason Vorhese, a bunch of people die, but then what?. If you just want to watch a bunch of people get killed in sadistic ways, go watch Final Destination.

The problem with Expendables is that it does none of what Predator does. Stallone's team are not shown to be remotely a cohesive group, the guy with the most personality happens to be the guy who stays behind and most of what he said is nonsensical. Jet Li's comedy routine gives him more personality than Stallone has. Terry Crews character doesn't exists until the shotgun scene. Even when something is real like Stallone himself getting pile driven and actually getting hurt doesn't come out right with everything cut to shreds, shaking in a poorly lit, rubbish angle. Throw in the poorly shot, shaky cam, lazy CGI, awful editing that is the rest of the film, makes Expendables an object lesson in how not to make an action movie of any sort.

This is a bit late, but I had to pin down exactly why I didn't like Chronicle. The key is that I didn't believe Andrew's fall or that he ever fell at all. Andrew was barely a character as everything he does is prompted by external factors, he never does anything for himself, not to mention he is an idiot. The writer hands him an idiot ball and Andrew never lets go. People rob convenience stores all the time out of desperation with nothing more than guts and maybe a gun. Andrew has super powers and he utterly fails. He embarrass himself shouting "Come on COME ON" to himself while taking the money out of the till. The super hero battle in the end is a complete disconnect in tone with the rest of the movie and the found footage camera angles become a liability.

If I was to write Andrew's character, I would have written him starting off as a normal person who gets an increasing amount of **** happen to him with the only real sense of agency he has is from his super powers. I would keep his relationship with his mother since that is the one thing that works, but they never really used it. Keep her sick, but have Andrew not only discover he has the power of death, but believe he has the power of life. So you have him reading and preforming medical experiments on animals with his powers, trying "Fix" them. Eventually he tries to "Fix" his mother and utterly fails, but only after he goes on a crime spree robbing banks and drug dispensaries for supplies and equipment.

After he kills his mother he is pissed, angry, but not raging like the hulk. He heads downtown systemically destroying the society that has let him down. Insurance companies, banks, even hospitals.

You don't kill Steve. It was unnecessary. Force them to have a 2 on 1 fight, with the only thing holding them back is that they believe they can bring him from the brink. But this is misguided as he has gone too far to come back. None of that Apex Predator BS. Andrew is tired of the lack of control in his life, he wants to play God, and he has the power to do it. Now you have a proper reason to have a city wide battle not because Andrew "Hulks" out. Andrew sees Matt and Steve as part of the society trying to oppress him.

Who wins and how no longer matter, Villain wins if they want a sequel hook, heroes win for closure with heroic sacrifice for extra points. The point of the movie is to test the characters not by giving them adversity, but power. Chronicle was mostly style There is a massive disconnect mid movie and it utterly fails during the transition. It not that they could have a transition, but it's done poorly enough that you think George Lucas wrote it.

There were some genuinely good points like the progression of their powers which really worked well with the found footage angle. The flight section is great in general, but missing some minor details. The magic show should have been the turning point where he wants and can seize control. Instead in the after party they revert him back to form as a loser from which he never progresses away from. Andrew dies as a unsympathetic loser and is all he ever was.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3018 on: February 19, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Keep in mind that nobody KNEW what the Predator was in 1986 or whenever that movie was made. We all know what it is now, of course, but you can't go into the FIRST movie in a series expecting to see the titular Predator running all over the place. I'm happy the film builds the tension, frankly. It's an amazing film, one of my Top 10 (see Frozen North Dinnercast for the rest of it).

I saw Paranormal Activity 3 and ended up hating it. The end completely screws up the other two movies. It's a little bit like Metroid: Other M. They made Fusion before knowing a prequel would be made, so when Samus fights the Nightmare in Fusion, she doesn't say "This guy again?" But now that Other M is here, and she DOES fight the Nightmare, you go into Fusion wondering if she has amnesia.

Same thing happens with the Paranormal movies. The end of Paranormal Activity 3 clearly establishes a lot of things, including how the girl's parents wound up. YOU WOULD THINK that these events would have been mentioned IN SOME FASHION during Paranormal Activity 1 or 2. That bothered me about Paranormal Activity 2, too: You would THINK that in the first movie, Katie would be all like "Boy oh boy, this exact same crap was happening to my sister like two weeks ago, remember?"

Argh. I hate it when people make movies without the INTENTION of making a prequel, but then they make a prequel, and that screws up the original.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
eh, for all the retconning that happened in pa3, i still thought it was decent. They still got the scares coming. Poor babysitters.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: February 20, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »
I think they did well enough on establishing the how and why going in reverse with the PA movies. The simple explanation of "ignoring it" works well enough. The whole time I was watching the second one I was like, "where do I know this girl from?" Then when they switched two the boyfriend's camera when the sister pulls up in her driveway, I was like, "oh, duh."
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: February 29, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »
Justice League - Doom:

I'm just going to say I kinda liked it. It starts strong, and finishes like WTF? It could have ended 10 minutes earlier.

The art style is very generic. It doesn't look anything like the source material. Star Sapphire looks like an anime chick, while Green Lantern is soft and boyish. Nathan's voice doesn't convince me that he makes a good Green Lantern, at least one that looks like he's in his early 20s.

Despite the flaws, I enjoyed the brief return of the Hall of Doom, the heroes pushing through their particular battles, and I liked how Flash got out of his problem. Very nice. You also have to wonder how long DC has been planning on making Cyborg part of the Justice League. I'm surprised they didn't resurrect Steele from the 80s Justice League, leaving Cyborg as a familiar face in Teen Titans.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:43:59 PM by bustin98 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3022 on: February 29, 2012, 07:39:32 PM »
Cyborg has been in the Justice League before (at least in the comics). He was in it for like 12 issues following the "Blackest Night" story arc of 2009-2010. He was also one of the starting members in the newly re-launched Justice League comic when DC canceled all their titles and re-launched them in 2011.

Since I don't read the comics, I can't accept Cyborg as anything but the goof that he was in the Teen Titans show.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: February 29, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »
Go read the Judas Contract trade paperback. That's how I see Cyborg.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
I've been watching Justice League: Doom myself, and I really like the movie.  It's easily DC's best effort since Batman: Under the Red Hood (which is my favorite of their Direct-to-Video films.  I thought the voice casting was superb, and the film looks great on Blu-Ray (though oddly soft and dark for one of these films).  I really only have 3 major issues with it:

1.  Like all these Direct-to-Video animated movies, I don't understand why management won't let them be at least 80-90 minutes long.  This movie could have used the extra time to better handle smaller/more personal scenes.  That leads me into...

2.  Green Lantern/Star Sapphire.  It was nice of the writers to not at all explain the deal with Carol Farris (who, the last time I saw her, was Hal Jordan's would-be-girlfriend) becoming Star Sapphire.  That subplot is just really badly handled, and I felt very little for the emotional beats in it because the film never sets it up.  Sorry, but if I'm watching these films, there's a pretty good chance I don't read the comics and probably never will.  I shouldn't need to look this stuff up on Wikipedia for it to make sense.

3.  The ending.  I actually think the movie ends just fine (though I had to roll my eyes at just how long it took Superman to finally break out the Heat Vision), but once again I would have liked more time devoted to the league actually explaining their various positions on what Batman did.  As it is, I'm not entirely certain what happened in that ending regarding Batman's status in the league.  All I can tell is that apparently Superman and Green Lantern are grudgingly ok with it.