Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553236 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2900 on: December 14, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
I like plenty of slow paced movies. I just don't like movies with dull plots, uninteresting characters, and pacing that is slower than a iceberg.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2901 on: December 14, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
Glacier?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: December 14, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
I'll admit. Drive was good but it was kinda slow for absolutely no reason at times. It could have used one more heist before the climax to keep it interesting and show us his skills. Better yet, why didn't they show us him racing?

Still a good movie, but it starts out so well you think it's going to be amazing.

Devil's Double is a much better movie. It has it all except for a less than well done ending. I was expecting something smarter. Still a great movie and I'd watch it over Drive every day of the week.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: December 14, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »
Icebergs are fast you know! I have seen them run down ships.

Most of the slowness of Drive was due mostly from how conversations are based more on how real conversations are done, opposed to how hollywood normally does it where everybody is always ready with something to say. Except for the Driver, while his pauses did go on a little long, there is something wrong with that man and what he does and how he does it is the only thing keeping it in check. Evidence: the elevator scene. While it was disappointing not to see the Driver race, it was done so you would share the grief the characters go through. The movie constantly builds your expectations before demolishing them. A movie that is faster couldn't do that level of subtly, it would be too busy moving on to the next set piece.

Really slows films, and I mean Boseā€“Einstein condensate slow, go watch a Michael Mann film. They have some great set pieces, especially the climax to Heat, but they are ungodly slow, unnecessary to the point of indulgence. By the time you get to the famous scene, you have forgotten what half the movie is about. That movie ran for 170 minutes, OVER 3 HOURS for a heist movie. Drive is comparatively greased lighting. I dare you to watch Heat TJ, then you will understand what slow paced means, assuming don't die from DVT.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: December 14, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »
heat is slow
so is manhunter
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: December 15, 2011, 01:23:50 AM »
Well, I put off getting this for a long time due to money problems lately, but life's been sucking and I've been more depressed recently than not so it seemed the time was right to get it: the "Diamond Edition" Blu-Ray of The Lion King, my favorite Disney animated film.

Of all the Disney movies I've ever seen (and at this point I've seen just about all of them), it is the one that has always had the most emotional resonance to me.  It's Disney at the top of their game, which is amusing considering this was considered by Disney during its development as the lesser project behind the eventually-mediocre Pocahontas.

It's certainly not a perfect movie, though.  When I was a kid, I hated "I just can't wait to be King" for the way it shatters the tone of the movie, though I can understand now why it's there.  I still alternate, though, from viewing to viewing whether I dislike that song or Timon & Pumbaa more for the way they clash with the rest of the movie.  This time, I have to go with the duo.  I can certainly understand why they're there: to provide the movie a much-needed injection of cheer after an incredibly dark and emotional scene.  Despite the necessity of their role in the film, though, the two of them just bug me (pun intended) because of how they suddenly introduce pop culture and comedy elements into a pretty self-contained and dramatic universe.  In many ways, they're the harbingers of the glut of mediocrity that this style of comedy would bring in the Disney films to come.

Of course, those few irritations are nothing compared to what this film does right.  To me, no other Disney animated film can even begin to touch the Lion King when it comes to use of color, animation, cinematography (outside one just plain bad-looking CG shot during the Hyena march), and drama.  This movie easily has 3 of the most incredible sequences Disney ever made: the still stunning opening sequence with the Circle of Life; the most emotionally impacting death scene I think Disney's done yet (and the sequence that precedes it); and the "ghost" scene later in the movie.  This movie is the gold standard by which I judge all other Disney films, and sadly this film was the end of the Disney Renaissance that began with Oliver & Company (Hah! You thought I'd say "The Little Mermaid", didn't you?  ;) ).  Disney never has made a movie of its caliber ever since, though Pixar's put forth several worthy attempts.

As for the Blu-Ray, it's what I expect of Disney's animated Blu-Rays: the picture quality is pristine, the audio sounds great, and the extras are...plentiful, but kind of confusing to find.  Many of the older features are only available through the online BD-Live feature, and I give that only a few years before they're taken down.

The upside, though?  Not only is the horrid "Morning Report" song not in the movie anymore (unlike the previous DVD release), but although it's apparently on the disc I can't find it.   :P: : : :
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 02:09:47 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2906 on: December 15, 2011, 01:44:41 AM »
I wouldn't call Pocahontas mediocre (I really like it), but I will agree that The Lion King is better (there is a reason it's the top grossing 2D animated movie of all time).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: December 15, 2011, 01:54:30 AM »
I wouldn't call Pocahontas mediocre (I really like it)

Pocahontas is a very weird movie for me, in that the more I think about it the less I like it.  I remember liking it when I saw it as a kid in theaters.  However, when I think back on it now, the only thing about the movie I find memorable/exceptional is the soundtrack (which I do really like).  I haven't seen the movie in years, but I remember the rest of the movie being...ok.  It just never really struck an emotional chord with me, as hard as it tried to do so.

Now a Disney movie I need to get around to watching again for the first time since its theatrical release is The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  I really did not like that movie when I originally saw it (though, once again, I was a kid and maybe couldn't really appreciate what it tried to do) outside, once again, the soundtrack.  I remember REALLY hating those g-damn gargoyles, though.  However, that movie is pretty far down the queue, as I have a few other (largely overlooked) Disney films I like much better in mind to watch over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:57:31 AM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2908 on: December 15, 2011, 01:58:02 AM »
I haven't seen it in like 10 years, but I love the soundtrack (I still listen to some of the songs now, especially "Colors of the Wind").

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: December 15, 2011, 02:12:34 AM »
i have problems with Pocahontas and Hercules.

John Smith was a pirate and a scoundrel  and Pocahantis married John Rolfe
Hades is not Satan. And Hera is the proper villain to Hercules because Hercules is the bastard son of Zeus.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2910 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »
Pocahontas did marry John Rolfe in the direct-to-video sequel Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World. Besides, it's not a biopic.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2911 on: December 15, 2011, 03:14:50 AM »
Disney movies are Disney movies because they do stuff like that. You can't end a children's movie with say the main character cuddling up with his girlfriend's corpse until he dies.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: December 15, 2011, 03:18:10 AM »
I hated Pocahontas 2. I didn't care that the first one wasn't a bio-pic. It told it's version of the story well and I enjoyed it overall. Direct-to-video sequels for Disney in general are horrid (only exception I can think of being the Aladdin ones) but Pocahontas 2 just felt like they were bowing to those complaining about the first film's "historical inaccuracies".

Hunchback is probably one of my top three favorite Disney films. You just have to pretend the gargoyle statues aren't there most of the time (though I did think their names were clever being named after the story's author and his sister).

I sometimes wish that Disney had gone the route Don Bluth took with his (earlier and better) animated films. Too bad there wasn't a market for more mature animated features that were not comedies.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: December 15, 2011, 03:50:34 AM »
Disney should stay the hell away from real people, fairy tales are alright because they are made up out of thin air.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: December 15, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »
Pocahontas is a terrible movie full of bullshit. I don't expect Disney to teach history lessons - but stay the **** away from real life events. The movie is just plain disrespectful if you ask me.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2915 on: December 15, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
I believe if real events are turned to movies, there is a responsibility to represent the events in a factual manner. Disney fucking up Hans Christian Anderson is one thing, screwing with history is another.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2916 on: December 15, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
Pocahontas is a terrible movie full of bullshit. I don't expect Disney to teach history lessons - but stay the **** away from real life events. The movie is just plain disrespectful if you ask me.

How is it disrespectful? If anything, they go out of their way to be overly respectful. Do you complain when other movies use real people as characters? Hate the Ice Age movies because they are historically inaccurate? Schindler's List? The Passion of the Christ? I could name others too.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: December 15, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »
The Passion of the Christ?

I thought were were talking about real people?
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: December 15, 2011, 02:27:05 PM »
Jesus Christ man, what the hell do you think you are doing... *facepalm*
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2919 on: December 15, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
Let's not get this thread locked, you guys.

Anyone seen the new Pokemon movies?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2920 on: December 15, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
The Passion of the Christ?

I thought were were talking about real people?

Whether or not you believe in religion, it's confirmed that there was a person named Jesus who lived in that area (that is not disputed, even among those who are not religious). Whether you think he was the son of god (or if there is even a god) is a different story.

The last Pokemon movie I watched was PokƩmon: Arceus and the Jewel of Life, I have been meaning to watch the last 3 though.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: December 15, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »

How is it disrespectful? If anything, they go out of their way to be overly respectful. Do you complain when other movies use real people as characters? Hate the Ice Age movies because they are historically inaccurate? Schindler's List? The Passion of the Christ? I could name others too.

If they are childrens movies. Hey lets teach our kids false history! Also, when dealing with native American and African American issues Hollywood fucks up 99% of the time. When I saw the preview for The Help I cringed and facepalmed.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2922 on: December 15, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »
The Help is a good movie, anyone who likes good movies should see it.

Again, Pocahontas was a fictional movie. The kids who think it's based on facts are the same stupid kids who do stuff like jump of roofs thinking they can fly like Superman.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: December 15, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »
My big problem with Pocahontas is that it's a movie full of mixed messages.  It's a film that seems to have something it wants to say about colonial America, but it's completely toothless and apologetic about it.  The writers clearly either did not have, or (more likely) were not allowed by the Studio Execs, strength in their convictions.  It's a very safe movie, which comes in stark contrast to just how many risks the Lion King (its immediate predecessor) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (its immediate successor) took.

Say what you will about Miyazaki, and I have.  However, as much as I dislike the way he beats his audience over the head with his pro-environmentalist B.S., I can at least respect that he's willing to take a stand for what he believes in and is totally unapologetic about it.

Pocahontas, though, is just so wishy-washy.  The film seems to be setting up a message about how colonists from England invaded North America and then subjugated the local people and stole their land, and it is fond in dialogue of trying to reinforce that message.  But in doing so it does its damnest to make sure it can't offend anyone in any conceivable way.  John Smith is only a somewhat-ignorant pretty boy who wants to make out with a now-fully-adult native fashion model.  The colonists aren't really bad people who want to enslave the local populace and convert them to their culture.  They're just following a vaguely homosexual and murderous leader!

Not to go into politics, but it's like if our president gave a speech on an enemy nation and said "This is the most fundamentally evil country that ever existed, and its people are barbarians.  But they're really pretty decent people,  honest!"  It's weak and toothless, and it undermines anything you might have to say.

Let's not show how much of an issue the language barrier would have been in those times towards developing some mutual understanding!  Let's just resolve it all with magic wind that makes everyone speak English!  Let's make sure the few acts of violence are based more around misunderstandings than massive culture differences, and let's make sure they play out in the vaguest possible way (like how that one dude gets shot to death when the bullet hits his...soul, I guess).

At least the music and animation were good, though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:46:56 PM by broodwars »

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: December 15, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
I saw The Muppet Movie.  Everyone on the forums should see it so we can make in Jokes.

I went and saw it with my good friend last weekend. The first 5 minutes both of us had huge smiles plastered across our faces for the next two hours.
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf