Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553377 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2850 on: November 27, 2011, 07:36:23 PM »
little jack horner sat in the corner collecting his paycheck from jurassic park 3
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 27, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »

You're confusing Tea Leoni with Radha Mitchell.
It figures, though.  I've watched so many animated series, I can pick a voice actor out in a few seconds.  But I have a lot of trouble distinguishing live actors/actresses from one another by appearance.

the only voice actor i can recognize is Steve Blum. That guy is is everything.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 27, 2011, 10:40:10 PM »
little jack horner sat in the corner collecting his paycheck from jurassic park 3

Man, how long have you been sitting on that joke?   :P: :

Well, another day, another long period of tedious lawn work followed by another Muppet movie, this time being Muppet Treasure Island.  I liked this movie back when I first saw it, and I still had a good time watching it now.  The storytelling is fairly solid (I haven't read Treasure Island in nearly 2 decades, but this version feels true to the beats of that story), the Muppeteering is as good as ever, and the two main live actors for Hawkins and Long John Silver are superbly well-cast to be in a Muppet movie.  Then-young Kevin Bishop has just the right amount of emotion and whimsy to play this Jim Hawkins, and if that is him singing in the movie I have to applaud his seeming perfect pitch considering how high up the scale his part is.

The real star of the show, of course, is Tim Curry as Long John Silver.  As the undisputed King of hammy acting and hilarious facial contortions, you couldn't have picked a better actor to play the villain in a Muppet movie.  And he's obviously having the time of his life trying to over-act a collection of felt puppets.  But to his credit, when he's not hamming it up and randomly laughing like a mad man, he has some genuinely good scenes with Kevin Bishop.  He's just pure fun to watch on-screen in a movie where he's supposed to be incredibly cheesy.

As for the humor, it's definitely downplayed a bit compared to something like Great Muppet Caper, but I think the comedy is still very much prevalent.  It is very odd to hear Muppets utter the word "kill", though.  And the music is overall surprisingly good, with the opening "Shiver My Timbers!" song being one of the catchier songs I've heard in a long time.

Now, I'm going to put Muppet Christmas Carol on hold for a while until we're closer to Christmas, as I just don't feel in the spirit for Christmas movies or music just yet.  I'm still on the fence on whether I'll watch the original Muppet Movie.  No, watching an old Nostalgia Critic video got me in the mood to to watch more of a goofy movie.  I might even be in the mood for an extremely goofy movie I've never seen before, if you will.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 27, 2011, 10:42:23 PM »

You're confusing Tea Leoni with Radha Mitchell.
It figures, though.  I've watched so many animated series, I can pick a voice actor out in a few seconds.  But I have a lot of trouble distinguishing live actors/actresses from one another by appearance.

the only voice actor i can recognize is Steve Blum. That guy is is everything.

Along with Crispin Freeman (though not so much anymore now that Geneon is gone), Wendee Lee, Yuri Lowenthal, Johnny Yong Bosch, and Nolan North.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: November 27, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »

Man, how long have you been sitting on that joke?   :P: :

its obvious i put no thought in that joke, move along.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 28, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »
Jurassic Park 3. I still enjoy parts of that movie but other parts I can't stand. But one of the dumbest things of all in that movie and bugs me every time I see it, is in the middle of the movie, when Grant and the kid meet up with the other people on the island and are seperated by a massive iron fence. And then Grant realizes he's trapped on the same side of the fence as the Spinosaurus.

The Spinosaurus then charges after Grant and the Kid but the escape at the last second through a small hole in the fence. The Spinosaurus walks away in defeat and everyone is relieved at this near miss. Except the Spinosaurus suddenly makes a running charge at the fence and busts through it. That was actually an awesome twist. So, the humans run to a small building just up ahead. The run inside the building and close the wooden doors and put a plank across them.

There is some bumping against the doors. Presumably the Spinosaurus trying to get them. But then it stops and they are safe. WHAT?! We just saw the Spinosaurus had the power to break through iron, steel and concrete not less than two minutes ago but suddenly wood is it's Kryptonite? There's absolutely no way those doors would have held against the size and charge of that dinosaur given what we were just shown.

It's stupidity like this that hurts the movie more than its dinosaur factual inaccuracies. I can let that stuff slide. But when the movie can't even be consistent with the dinosaurs it has created, that's just bad filmmaking.

And I also hate how they made the dinosaurs more multicolored. The green skin from before was fine. The purple shading just makes everything look faker.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 03:20:57 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
I resent that. I have never had any concept of integrity, before or after joining the staff.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
I saw The Muppet Movie.  Everyone on the forums should see it so we can make in Jokes.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 28, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »
I saw The Muppet Movie.  Everyone on the forums should see it so we can make in Jokes.

Maniacal laughter...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: November 28, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
Maniacal laughter...
Ha Ha Ha Ha *looks around uncomfortably*
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2860 on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »
"Hey, it's a Hollywood movie! You going to see it?"
"How can I? I'm blind!"
"Oh, so you're the lucky one!"
"DO-HO-HO-HO!"
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: December 02, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Dear 'Pom Poko',

You kick ass.

Your friend,
Stogi
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: December 05, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »
Batman Year One

It should have been better.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2863 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:20 PM »
It was terrible.

I said this on Twitter while I was watching it: It's like they went out and found the WORST POSSIBLE voice actor for Bruce Wayne. They actively seeked him out.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
It's nice to see people agreeing with my original view a few months back that Batman: Year One is a terrible movie, ironically by being a very literal translation of the comics.  Of course, Frank Miller's fans are all over the internet gushing over the movie.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: December 05, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
Commissioner Gordon sounded like Batman.

It should have been better.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: December 05, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
The commissioner sounded like Walter White

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: December 05, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
The commissioner was Walter White talking like Batman.

There was a moment near the end where Gordon was talking, but I thought it was Batman when I wasn't looking at the screen. I think either Gordon sounded that way the entire episode and it took me that long to notice, or there was an accidental voice swap at the end.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: December 05, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »
oh no i haven't seen it, i just thought it was funny Bryan Cranston is the voice of Gordon.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: December 06, 2011, 10:37:28 PM »
I actually just picked up Green Lantern in 3D.  I know it is globally hated but I didn't mind it in a mindless way.  And I've always liked Ryan Reynolds. (Will they ever bring 2 Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place to DVD?) 

The only real reason I bought it was because it was $24 brand new in 3D.  I have had a 3D TV for about 3 or 4 months now and have not yet watched any 3D media on it.  I think it was worth the $24, and I think the 3D effects are quite good in it.

The real 3D movie I want though is Transformers 3.  There is no way in hell I am paying $50 to $60 for 1 damn movie, I don't care what it is.  Oh that wingsuit scene......

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: December 06, 2011, 11:16:19 PM »
As I promised, I did watch two very Goofy Movies:

A Goofy Movie - I remember really liking this film when it originally released, and it surprised me to see that it has such a mediocre Rotten Tomatoes ranking.  Why do people seem to dislike this film?  It's fun, it's a great "Father and Son" story (which really adds some great dimensions to Goofy's character), it has more than decent animation (with really great lighting) considering it wasn't a major Disney animated feature, and there's some decent music in there.  There are some really striking visuals in this movie, like the scene where Goofy walks into a room after discovering something important about Max, and you can just see the shock and betrayal all over his face.  It's a very moving film in places.  And what's funny now about this movie to me is that I've now essentially been on this movie's roadtrip, considering my dad and I recently spent a week traveling cross-country and back to deliver a car to my sister.  It just feels funnier to me now.

Yeah, I know that it's a little weird and funny seeing the Disney of that time try to do a "hip" modern story with things like cars and hot tubs and whatnot, but I still really enjoy this film.  And it feels like a fitting continuation of the Goof Troop TV series, despite some strange omissions like Pete's wife and daughter.

An Extremely Goofy Movie - Up until now, I hadn't seen this film.  I didn't even know it existed until recently.  Being a Disney direct-to-video sequel, I expected it to completely suck but I was pleasantly surprised at how decent it is.  It's not as good as the first movie, but the story it tells is a logical extension of the original movie and the situation that results from that feels believable as a modern story: Max is going to college, and Goofy finds himself going through "Empty Nest" syndrome with no one else in his life.  You really have to feel for Goofy as he spends the early parts of this movie in obvious pain, leading to him destroying his life and finding out that he doesn't have a future anymore because he never completed college.

So Goofy goes to college all 70s-style, which produces the sort of situations with his son that you would expect and some great moments.  There's also a really strange sidestory involving Max and his friends trying to win a campus Extreme Sports competition that I feel the movie could have done without.  Overall, though, it was pretty harmless and had some good "Goofy" moments.

The animation's pretty decent for a direct-to-video Disney film, though not as striking as that of the original movie.  The music's pretty mediocre in this one, but it's not a focal point of the story this time and no one sings, so it's ok.  And I thought the story the movie told was a fitting bookend to the original Goof Troop series, with Goofy and Max parting ways on good terms, both off to live new lives.  It's not a terribly great movie, but by the standards of Disney direct-to-video sequels it's easily one of the best.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:18:32 PM by broodwars »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: December 07, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »
I have I2I as my ringtone. Just sayin'

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: December 07, 2011, 02:14:14 AM »
I have I2I as my ringtone. Just sayin'

So that's what that song is called.  Yeah, I liked that song in all its 80s/early 90s-ness.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: December 07, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »
I actually just picked up Green Lantern in 3D.  I know it is globally hated but I didn't mind it in a mindless way.  And I've always liked Ryan Reynolds.

I watched it the other week and was surprised by how average it was. I was expecting a complete train wreck. The CGI certainly lived up (down?) to the bad press, but the story overall was fairly mediocre. It was certainly more entertaining than Thor, which is really sad. I've never liked Ryan Reynolds, I find him to be excruciatingly annoying. He was alright this time around, at least once the movie really got rolling.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »
Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and that's exactly why he should stick to comedies. I can't take him seriously.