Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553280 times)

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2800 on: November 01, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
They Live 7.9.10. Fun movie. I always thought it was weird that they cast Roddy Piper. It is obvious that Kurt Russel was meant to play the main character and that he was either unavailable or to expensive for the movie. Still Roddy Piper works out pretty well as a poor mans Kurt Russel. The Message of the Day: Watch out for messages, "they" are brainwashing you!

You know, I saw this movie later in life (since I was either not born yet or too young to experience this when it came out) and because I was old enough to seek out who this "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (was never into the WWF) I was able to appreciate - albeit many, many, many years later - that one joke from the Simpsons..

You know the one ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: November 01, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »
They Live 7.9.10. Fun movie. I always thought it was weird that they cast Roddy Piper. It is obvious that Kurt Russel was meant to play the main character and that he was either unavailable or to expensive for the movie. Still Roddy Piper works out pretty well as a poor mans Kurt Russel. The Message of the Day: Watch out for messages, "they" are brainwashing you!

You know, I saw this movie later in life (since I was either not born yet or too young to experience this when it came out) and because I was old enough to seek out who this "Rowdy" Roddy Piper (was never into the WWF) I was able to appreciate - albeit many, many, many years later - that one joke from the Simpsons..

You know the one ;)

actually whats the joke? Its it Bart Vs The Space Mutants? That game has the magic sunglasses.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »

You know the one ;)

actually whats the joke? Its it Bart Vs The Space Mutants? That game has the magic sunglasses.

Actually no, but that's a great find! That has to be a reference to They Live!!

I was referring to this. Classic ;)
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: November 02, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
Hobo with a Shotgun
Goddammit... I don't know where to begin. I know it was supposed to be cheesy, but it still sucked. And it took too long for the hobo to get the shotgun.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 02, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
Hobo with a Shotgun
Goddammit... I don't know where to begin. I know it was supposed to be cheesy, but it still sucked. And it took too long for the hobo to get the shotgun.

MFT Movie 18: Hobo With A Shotgun

I see I wasn't the only one that thought that, but I still tried to make the best of it.
The "Terror Squad" at the end was just way over the top though.

and I wouldn't exactly recommend this movie to anyone. There is no redeeming qualities to it whatsoever.
It wasn't good, but at the same time it wasn't so bad that I could MFT it... it was just plain bad.

with 1 or 2 scenes that should be on youtube, but not worth sitting through the movie for.
I already suffered it so that none of you had to.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 12:45:19 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2805 on: November 02, 2011, 02:30:21 AM »
I didn't think it was so bad. I mean, yeah, it was terrible, but it was meant to be one of those 70's exploitation/gore movies, which it was. In spades.

I'm currently watching Machette, which is a much better MOVIE, but also full of over-the-top violence and gore.

Danny Trejo FTW.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 02, 2011, 02:43:43 AM »
I prefer Hobo with a Shotgun to Machete, they are in the same genre though. Same lineage. What would be more awesome would be Machete vs Hobo. My friend was talking about how they should make a 2nd hobo with a shotgun, this time having Gary Busey as Rutger Hauer's sidekick. I said they should just say Rutger Hauer is the previous Hobos twin brother, my friend then said they should just not explain it, which works out well too considering it worked for Return of the Living Dead 2

more importantly, Where the **** is Thanksgiving?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 02:46:04 AM by ThePerm »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 02, 2011, 10:59:26 AM »
I thought that Machete played out much better, with the exception of the big, boring (and stupid) finale.

Hobo was a letdown in that Rutger Hauer played a meek wimp throughout the whole thing. He should have been truly kicking ass instead.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:36 PM »
it took too long for the hobo to get the shotgun.

Guess I'll be taking Hobo w/a Shotgun off my netflix que..

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
Don't!

They need to make that move too

and just for fun here are....
The Original Grindhouse Trailers

Thanksgiving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE7tyW8CYXs

Original Fake Machete trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1GTPwMN2qg

Original Fake Hobo with a Shotgun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LlazPgxKrA

Don't
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7W_sMFoyMs

Werewolf Women of the S.S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlTjMzowSig&feature=related

not part of the group, but more than deserves to be

Black Dynamite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Y24a0cyCE

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, the proto-exploitation parody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrAYdSeWY8

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:29:24 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: November 02, 2011, 10:27:13 PM »
I've always thought that the Thanksgiving trailer was among the best. I doubt a full movie would be as entertaining, but the preview definitely accomplished what it set out to do.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »
years ago there was supposed to be a "trailer trash" movie filled with fake trailers, and id rather see that.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: November 03, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
I don't remember Hobo w/a Shotgun being part of the Grindhouse trailers.. but man I wish Thanksgiving would be a real movie haha. Anyone seen Thankskilling? That's been on my queue since last year but I haven't brought myself to watch it yet.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: November 03, 2011, 03:59:04 AM »
it only showed up in the Canadian release, it was the contest winner for SXSW festival.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: November 07, 2011, 03:16:34 AM »
Dear 'Conan The Barbarian',

I don't even know where to begin. Well how about the beginning? I loved how you open the story with Morgan Freeman narrating. I loved how in the very next scene, a woman was giving birth to Conan....in the middle of a battle field. I loved how after he is born, his father raises him up in a 'Roots' like manner (Behold, the only thing greater than yourself), while his buddies were dying all around him. I also love that in the span of 20 minutes or so after that, I saw about a hundred people die and maybe 40 different pairs of breasesests. That's one hell of a death to tit ratio; 'Rambo' (even 'Rambo 4') ain't got **** on that. I like how after those 20 minutes you bring back Morgan Freeman to explain absolutely nothing critical to the story. I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, but it sounded like the truth.

From that point on though, your movie suuuuuuuucks. You were all over the place. A strange place to be in considering this is a revenge story line. From having Tibetan monks protect a harem of white American girls whose pimp is an Italian dude who looks like a sheep, to having Arabic-ish names for cities but no one there speaks arabic, or having a lesser character act so terribly that his accent changes when he yells or having him say **** that only Mr. T would say ("Calm down FOOLS!"), but probably most egregiously is having a black dude be captain of a giant ship -- I was willing to suspend my disbelief until then. In the words of Rocco from 'Boondock Saints', "This mix and match **** gots to go."  At one point you had Conan sneak into a fortress only to find out that the girl and guy he's looking for left. No seriously, they got to the main hall and were like "Where the **** is everyone?" only to look out a window and see a caravan of people leaving. Sloppy storytelling.

This wouldn't have mattered so much if your main character was likeable. I thought he did a fantastic job in 'Game of Thrones' but here...man...at best he's hilarious and at worst he's ridiculous; never is he serious. It's pretty messed up when the child actor playing the same part is better than you. Halfway through the movie I thought to myself, "This would be a lot better if Morgan Freeman narrated his lines instead." Like when he was about to say something clever or say goodbye to a friend, Morgan Freeman's voice would appear and be like "And then he said 'I want your head' to his enemy....maybe...it was never written down or anything, but he probably said it."

When he let his sword do the talking, your film flowed much better. But enough about him, what the hell did you do to Rachel Nichols? In the words of the reporter from South Park "She's pretty hot, Tom." But you did something to make her look shitty. Every scene it seemed like someone just got done raping her, but in a bad way. You know what I mean.

Here's a promotional photo of her from her last movie, 'G.I. Joe':

Hot, right? Now here's a promotional photo from 'Conan':

Now you may be saying to yourself....But Stogi, that's a shitty picture of her. Regardless of that fact, that's how she looks throughout the movie; old and witch like. At least her body didn't suffer from the terrible make-up decisions.

But most disappointing of all is your climax. You don't seem to have one. It's like a mixture of when the bad guy gets 'The Mask' and when Dr. Jones has to save his chick from 'The Temple of Doom', but nowhere near as exciting, hilarious or intense. I had so many questions during those last few vital scenes. For instance, where did the bad dude's army go? At one point they where there giving high-fives, like "Yeah...Finally, we're about to see this bitch get cut up." Then Conan walked RIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THEM and the next moment they were gone. Also, as soon as the villain got the mask and powered it up, what powers did he possess? There was so much hype about him becoming a God or Shadow Lord or something cool but the only real tangible power I saw (or should I say heard) was his ability to make his voice louder. What kind of **** is that? You're telling me this guy went around the world collecting pieces to form a mask, killing thousands on the way, then spent 20 years finding a pure breed chick in order to make his voice louder. Lame. So so so very lame. Then after he dies from falling into the deepest trench on earth I guess, Conan just takes the bitch he just saved back to her crib and then dips. What is he, bashful? He already beat on a rock in a dark, dank cave...that doesn't sound like bashfulness to me.

The only thing that kept me watching the entire movie was the halfway decent set pieces of violence and the hopes that Morgan Freeman would return to make a terrible movie better. Hell, I was hoping it would skip to the future and Morgan Freeman turned out to be the black dude commanding the ship. How great that would have been....

Never Watching You Again,
Stogi
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:18:53 AM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: November 07, 2011, 03:30:44 AM »
So glad I didn't fit that into my "day at the movies" schedule even though my girl heavily insisted on it. I take it upon myself to protect us from watching horrible movies, especially when they are lined up 3-4 in a row, and other movies just seemed more interesting than what I had seen of Conan.

Thanks for validating my choice on that day.
I will let her see for herself why it was a good decision on the day it arrives in a red envelope in the mail.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #2816 on: November 07, 2011, 05:13:16 PM »
But...but...Rachel Nichols...
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 07, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
A damn shame. I know.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: November 07, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
Every scene it seemed like someone just got done raping her, but in a bad way. You know what I mean.

You mean like actual rape?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2819 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
Despicable Me - Even better than I hoped. The Minions were so funny and wish they were featured more, and I laughed when I saw that the 3 minions were still in their family disguises later. And the the way Gru changed by the end was nice.

Battle Royale - I will admit that most of the students were inter-changeable, and it seems very odd that these were apparently supposed to be 9th graders (i.e. 14 years old) when they seemed to all be about 19 or 20. And their former teacher had an abnormal obsession with that one girl. The one transfer student was a complete psycho, and wish we had found out why since he never actually talks.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: November 08, 2011, 11:06:02 AM »
Despicable Me - Even better than I hoped. The Minions were so funny and wish they were featured more, and I laughed when I saw that the 3 minions were still in their family disguises later. And the the way Gru changed by the end was nice.
I was surprised by how good Despicable Me was.  My Family and I went to a Car Show at opening on Family Day to get a free copy of the movie.  When it  came in the mail and we put it in for watching it the first time my son insisted on watching it again right afterwards.  Its fairly good.  Also if you watch any of the recent movies made by the same studio the Minions shows up the beginning acknowledgements doing something with there logo.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2821 on: November 09, 2011, 01:01:57 AM »
In Time - 6/10

Justin Timberlake isn't good enough to carry a movie. The premise dictated that the cast be young, but that also meant the movie was filled with b-listers. The film, while watchable, wasn't enough to distract you from some of the more obvious plot holes (one character death in particular comes to mind). The plot isn't nearly as thick as the premise, which actually gets more intriguing as you're more exposed to the world. Also, the time puns at times seems unintentional, but some of the writing might suggest otherwise.

I'd go with people who don't mind talking during the movie. . .and maybe while under the influence.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: November 09, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
In Time, I think I'll wait till the Logan's Run remake, or rental whilst very bored at best. I've seen enough dystopian future movies with a similar enough premise to know what it is. Conan sounds like Transformers 2 in the middle ages.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: November 09, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »

Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva

I just finished playing professor layton and the unwound future and loved the animation and artstyle so i decided i would check out the movie as well. I recomend this movie to people who havent played any layton games and aren't sure whether they should buy the game or not or like professor layton but arent fond of puzzle games. This gives you a pretty good idea of how Layton games are like.

As a movie by itself though it's pretty whimsical like a movie based on Layton should be. They managed to work in things from the game such as the puzzle solving and puzzle music pretty cleverly. However the last 1/3 of the movie gets extremely wacky. It's around here where the movie will either fall apart for you or make you smile at the over the top sillyness of it all (more than usual), that too stays true to the Layton games as well.

Similar to Studio Ghibli movies this is a light hearted, escapist popcorn movie where you can turn your brain off and enjoy the world the animators created, just don't expect a masterpiece story line.

3.5/5

Funny thing is just after i finished this i decided to listen to the newest ep of RFN where they talked about it lol

Dear 'Conan The Barbarian....

Never Watching You Again,
Stogi

Yeah i was forced to watch that because i was the only one in my group of friends who didnt want to see it and i basically just ended up walking out of the theatre XD
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 04:02:41 PM by Lithium »

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Immortals 8/10

Great popcorn film; ie.plot is eh, action is really good, visuals are very well done IMO (the costume designers were some bad ass MOFO's, seriously) and above all Mmmm Freida Pinto

does anyone know if that's an actual nude scene with her, or did she use a body double?