Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1553255 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #2600 on: September 10, 2011, 11:48:38 PM »
30 Minutes or Less 6/10

Not as funny as I'd expect with guys like Danny McBride, Aziz Ansari and Nick Swardson (Jessie Eisenberg is okay..) but still enjoyable to watch..

until I found out its (somewhat) based on a true story!
ctrl+f "Brian Douglas Wells"

That happened in my hometown. The woman who did it went to the college I go to. I'm kind of shocked this movie didn't get more press locally.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: September 11, 2011, 02:55:59 AM »
Hobo with a Shotgun ....

I'm not sure what to say about this movie. I tried to MFT it.... can't say I was happy with the results. It hit a certain cheese factor late in the movie that made it MFT-worthy, but even that wasn't enough to save it. It was just sick in some parts and WTF in others but stupid all around in USA "Up All Nite" with Rhonda kinda way (not sure how many know what I'm talking about). Of all the movies that could have been made from the Grindhouse Trailers, this is certainly not one that I would have picked and definitely fails in comparison to Machete.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: September 11, 2011, 04:56:23 AM »
HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN!!!! I didnt review this before, but I loved it. Watch Troma movies, and then watch this, and then you'll probably understand. Over the Top, kinda goofy. Violent, silly. Yep. In fact if I were making an exploitation film, this is what I would aim for. Think about it in Black Dynamite terms, Black Dynamite was a parody of blackspolitation movies, but this was a parody of "USA up all night type" movies IE Toxic Avenger., which is a Troma film. When netflix on-demand first came out i caught up big time on those cus there was nothing else to watch.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: September 11, 2011, 05:03:01 AM »
Honestly the Toxic Avenger movies crossed my mind when typing that, and to keep it 100%, those movies are horrible.

I have yet to watch the 4th movie, but the first 2 were not good, and I didn't even finish the 3rd.
I remember them being more entertaining when I was younger and probably just in it for the eventual almost nudity (a big reason for lots that probably watched USA Up All Nite).

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: September 11, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »
I rather enjoyed Hobo with a Shotgun. It did what it set out to do wonderfully, with a good handful of creative scenes throughout. It was a helluva lot more fun to watch than the original "Grind House" duo. Then again, so was Machete.

It's better than any Troma film. As much as I personally admire Lloyd Kaufman, most of Troma's films are damn near unwatchable due to how bad they are.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: September 11, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »
30 Minutes or Less 6/10

Not as funny as I'd expect with guys like Danny McBride, Aziz Ansari and Nick Swardson (Jessie Eisenberg is okay..) but still enjoyable to watch..

until I found out its (somewhat) based on a true story!
ctrl+f "Brian Douglas Wells"

That happened in my hometown. The woman who did it went to the college I go to. I'm kind of shocked this movie didn't get more press locally.

I just saw the man's death online. Fucked up ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: September 11, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
I rather enjoyed Hobo with a Shotgun. It did what it set out to do wonderfully, with a good handful of creative scenes throughout. It was a helluva lot more fun to watch than the original "Grind House" duo. Then again, so was Machete.

It's better than any Troma film. As much as I personally admire Lloyd Kaufman, most of Troma's films are damn near unwatchable due to how bad they are.

oh yeah definately better than any Troma film, its like one as if it was done right it feels. Most Troma films suck ass, and watching all the Toxic adventures you get annoyed that Lloyd Kaufman's constant message is "**** corperations", after so many movies it gets old. I was watching Lloyd Kaufman's documentary "make your own damn movie", and Eli Roth was giving him **** being like "I just want to see a movie where Lloyd Kaufman tries" He's capable of great things, but is stuck in the early 80s. On the other hand that Documentary was pretty good aside from some stupid parts.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: September 12, 2011, 12:15:14 AM »
Contagion 8/10

Science done right. It was interesting, intriguing, and intelligent. The director did a good job of pasting several different story lines together, but did an even better job of ramping up the tension. I don't know if it is theater quality (I know I wouldn't have gone to see it unless someone paid for me), but it is worth seeing at least once.

This isn't 'Outbreak'. It's more of a realistic look at how the world deals with epidemics and I found that fascinating.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: September 13, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
Watched Back to the Future Part 2 with my Son last night.  It was his first time seeing it and I hadn't seen it since I was young.  I started there because I thought he like the flying cars.  I had forgotten how connected all the movies were or I would have started with the first one anyways.  From when I was young I remember them being in the future more than they were.  I remember the hype that went with the movies like the Collector Sunglasses from Pizza Hut.  I had the Yellow ones with the sort of ball cap like overhanging.  I could probably still find them at my Mom's house.

It's sort of fun looking at what in the 80's now was suppose to start looking at and what really happened.  Technology hasn't progressed as far or quickly as predicted for the most part.  Thought it was funny seeing pay phones.  That is something that did progress more then predicted.  All in all I still think these are good movies in context.  I don't think  Back to the Future could be produced now.  It is very much a product of the early 80's/90's and I don't think if it was done now that the series would be nearly as good.  Think about what happened to Star Wars with Episode 1-3
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: September 13, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
I don't think  Back to the Future could be produced now.  It is very much a product of the early 80's/90's and I don't think if it was done now that the series would be nearly as good.

I agree with that sentiment. It's sad too. The 80's were generally a great time for film and you'll never see that type of style again. Ironic, given that pretty much every other form of entertainment during the time was terrible

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
I don't think  Back to the Future could be produced now.  It is very much a product of the early 80's/90's and I don't think if it was done now that the series would be nearly as good.

I agree with that sentiment. It's sad too. The 80's were generally a great time for film and you'll never see that type of style again. Ironic, given that pretty much every other form of entertainment during the time was terrible
Cartoons had good ideas at that point in time.  That are now being refined. (Beast Wars, new Thundercats, new MLP, etc.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »

It's funny you say that because both Back to the Future and Star Wars are franchises that i feel (like the F-Zero series) would benefit for being produced now. If nothing in them changed, except for being produced to modern techniques, they would be better films.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: September 13, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »

It's funny you say that because both Back to the Future and Star Wars are franchises that i feel (like the F-Zero series) would benefit for being produced now. If nothing in them changed, except for being produced to modern techniques, they would be better films.
Maybe and just used today's technology for a cleaner picture and better flying cars.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:21 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. If nothing changed, the techniques would obviously remain the same. Do you mean keep the same story and actors, but use more modern concepts of directing, editing, and special effects? Is so, I'll have to pass. Practical and in-camera effects beat any fully CGI today. Of course, there have been huge advances in things like compositing and chroma keying, which would help those traditional effects tremendously.

Likewise, today's typical director has very little sense of pace. It's all quick cuts to keep up with the attention span of an increasingly ignorant audience. I don't want that. I would, however, take the purely technical improvements that have been made since the film's release. Sharper images and brighter colors are never a bad thing when the film is planned around them. :)

Of course, I'm only talking about Back to the Future. I was never a big Star Wars fan, and can't say that their continued "improvements" over the years have swayed me otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:59:06 PM by Morari »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. If nothing changed, the techniques would obviously remain the same. Do you mean keep the same story and actors, but use more modern concepts of directing, editing, and special effects? Is so, I'll have to pass. Practical and in-camera effects beat any fully CGI today. Of course, there have been huge advances in things like composting and chroma keying, which would help those traditional effects tremendously.

Likewise, today's typical director has very little sense of pace. It's all quick cuts to keep up with the attention span of an increasingly ignorant audience. I don't want that. I would, however, take the purely technical improvements that have been made since the film's release. Sharper images and brighter colors are never a bad thing when the film is planned around them. :)

Of course, I'm only talking about Back to the Future. I was never a big Star Wars fan, and can't say that their continued "improvements" over the years have swayed me otherwise.
You know what stinks is when your not a huge Star Wars fan but you in a profession that is stereotyped to be full of nothing but huge Star Wars fans.  I'm like its ok and has some neat concepts but lets watch Last Starfighter or Tron instead.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: September 13, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. If nothing changed, the techniques would obviously remain the same. Do you mean keep the same story and actors, but use more modern concepts of directing, editing, and special effects? Is so, I'll have to pass. Practical and in-camera effects beat any fully CGI today. Of course, there have been huge advances in things like composting and chroma keying, which would help those traditional effects tremendously.

I mean purely in the visual aspects. the pacing, editing, script, actors and sets themselves shouldn't change. But any CGI, and equipment used to film should be brought up to scratch. I'd love a much crisper look.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: September 13, 2011, 11:22:15 PM »
Plugabugz I think you should watch this.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:49 PM »
Dirty Dancing.

This is a movie that I don't think could be made now.  The entire plot centers around getting someone an abortion.  They never question the right or wrong of it, in fact the main character is seen as doing good by helping them pay for it because the guy who knocked her up is too much of a prick to shell out the cash.   Imagine if a movie came out today with this as the driving plot point.
Ending It also doesn't have a happily ever after ending, just a happy ending.  Swayze and Baby both have to leave the next day better people for having met each other.  If someone wants to believe it they could see them staying together now that he has her fathers "approval" but it's a big, big stretch.  If you like romantic movies or have a girl to watch one with it definitely holds up to the test of time.

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN!!!!

I enjoyed it as well but if Rutger Hauer wasn't the star I think it would have been a big let down.  It really needed somebody with talent like him to keep the ridiculousness in sight of the rails. 

After watching the movie I get the feeling that the last line was actually the first line they thought of and they spent the rest of their time just looking for the perfect place to put it. You and me are going on a car ride to Hell. You're riding shotgun.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:43:47 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #2618 on: September 13, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
Plugabugz I think you should watch this.

George Lucas needs to watch that every night before he goes to bed.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27:30 AM »
Only thing that could be better with BttF2 are a few of the gang hoverboard shots and that is it. Ceric are you going to have him watch the first one and then the second again?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: September 14, 2011, 12:32:53 AM »
While I don't think the BttF movies should be changed at all, a positive would be updating the future to actually be the future again.  The future just didn't turn out that way outside of the shoes.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:17 AM »
But why?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: September 14, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
While I don't think the BttF movies should be changed at all, a positive would be updating the future to actually be the future again.  The future just didn't turn out that way outside of the shoes.
But they don't Powerlace.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: September 14, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »

Only because everyone is too sidetracked with producing and consuming smartphones. It's stunted all technology! :P

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: September 14, 2011, 10:33:55 AM »

Only because everyone is too sidetracked with producing and consuming smartphones. It's stunted all technology! :P
Personally blame Congress. and the big corporations they work for.